Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy against weekend/evening "work?"
Play Care 06:08 AM 08-25-2014
For those of you who don't "work" outside of dc hours - how do you word this to your families? Do you have an actual policy stating this?
Do parents respect this or think you don't mean THEM?
Cat Herder 06:16 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
For those of you who don't "work" outside of dc hours - how do you word this to your families? Do you have an actual policy stating this?
I used words for years. They don't work without putting measures in place to back them up.

"Business hours are from __ to __. If you need to schedule a conference after hours please email and I will get back to you during the next business day. Thanks."

The only phone # they have is my business phone. The only email is my business email. I only check email or answer texts during business hours. If they need a phone call during business hours, they text and I get back to them when I am available.

I do not have a receptionist, assistant or secretary. They knew this when they enrolled. I do child care full-time, adult care by appointment, only.

(yes, there is an exception to every rule and I am not heartless. I will move the world for my clients if I have to in a true crisis. )
debbiedoeszip 06:22 AM 08-25-2014
I would let dc parents know that you are not often reachable outside of daycare hours, but you do have voice mail. Let them know that they should leave a detailed message and that if possible (read: if you think it's necessary) you will get back to them. Otherwise, they can speak to you during daycare hours.

IOW, let their calls go to voice mail and be picky about who you call back. I consider us to be small business owners, and most small business owners (in any type of business) will need to speak to clients/customers to some degree outside of their schedules business hours. It's all about making it to your advantage vs. being pestered by customers needlessly. Let all calls go to VM and pick and choose who takes up your personal time (in the form of call backs).
Play Care 07:05 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
I would let dc parents know that you are not often reachable outside of daycare hours, but you do have voice mail. Let them know that they should leave a detailed message and that if possible (read: if you think it's necessary) you will get back to them. Otherwise, they can speak to you during daycare hours.

IOW, let their calls go to voice mail and be picky about who you call back. I consider us to be small business owners, and most small business owners (in any type of business) will need to speak to clients/customers to some degree outside of their schedules business hours. It's all about making it to your advantage vs. being pestered by customers needlessly. Let all calls go to VM and pick and choose who takes up your personal time (in the form of call backs).
This is where I go back and forth - I'm fortunate that it's never really gotten to be a huge issue and I've nipped it in the bud the couple of times it was heading that way. At the same time, if they were in a dc center, they wouldn't be getting after hours call backs, but of course they didn't chose a center so...
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
From my handbook and memos/newsletters

"Like anyone with regular working hours, I prefer to take care of business during business hours and spend my off time with my family.

Unless it is an emergency, it is expected that parents refrain from phone calls/texts during my off hours.

E-mails are acceptable but may not be answered or replied to until the following business day."

During the interview, I will make a point of discussing this policy so that parents know my thoughts on this.

If the parent is a current parent and they call or text during off hours, I simply ignore them. Then the next day, I let them know I didn't answer/reply because I was on family time.

Sometimes, I'll put them on the spot and say something like "I hope everything was okay this weekend Karen? I noticed you called/texted on Saturday but I was spending time with my family and didn't reply so what was so important that it couldn't wait?"

So far, that's always worked for me.
Crazy8 07:33 AM 08-25-2014
I don't have any policy on it. Most of my parents communicate via text, I don't mind the occassional text after hours, if I can answer it I will, if I can't (or don't want to) then I don't.
Kimskiddos 08:26 AM 08-25-2014
I don't have a policy and thankfully my dcp's are respectful of my off time. If they do email or text after hours I decide at the time whether or not I want to deal with it then or wait until business hours.

Had to show y'all this! I am advertising to replace a kiddo that left for school and I received this text last night at yes, 11:30PM!! Don't think they will be a good fit at all, especially since I close at 5:00PM as mentioned in my ad! I did reply this morning with a big No Thank You.
Attached: photo.jpg (12.5 KB) 
daycare 08:40 AM 08-25-2014
its more than just words, you also just have to do it.

I have parents text me over the weekend or emails and I just dont respond until we reopen during our normal business hours of operation.

So after you say your words, you just have to make sure that you follow up. Like Catherder said, unless it is a complete emergency, I would not answer them until Monday, when I had time.....
Country Kids 08:45 AM 08-25-2014
Just had this happen and want to put in my handbook but not sure how!

Had an issue where I needed to talk to the parent but pickup parent wanted me to talk to other parent and said they would call me.

It was like they didn't want us talking in front of the child?

So how would you handle something like this? Tell them you need to talk right then and explain that after you close you are on family time or go ahead and except call?
AmyKidsCo 08:54 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I don't have any policy on it. Most of my parents communicate via text, I don't mind the occassional text after hours, if I can answer it I will, if I can't (or don't want to) then I don't.
Ditto. I don't have an actual policy. I usually answer nighttime texts/emails because often they pertain to the rest of the work week. Over the weekend I'll read the text/email and may or may not respond if I have time. I've called my Dr and dentist at their homes during off hours and they didn't refuse to talk to me, which I appreciated, so I try to be reasonable with my parents too. That said, I haven't had a problem with parents trying to take advantage either.
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Just had this happen and want to put in my handbook but not sure how!

Had an issue where I needed to talk to the parent but pickup parent wanted me to talk to other parent and said they would call me.

It was like they didn't want us talking in front of the child?

So how would you handle something like this? Tell them you need to talk right then and explain that after you close you are on family time or go ahead and except call?
Did they need to talk to you on the phone or were they in person?

If they didn't want to talk in front of the child, I would have the child go out of the room or play outside of ear shot.

If a parent NEEDS to speak with me about something private or personal, I would set up a time to talk with them right after closing or early in the a.m. then I would have no issues with it being outside of business hours.

I just don't want to spend my Sat and Sun days talking about work.

HTH
Second Home 10:03 AM 08-25-2014
I have 1 dcd that texts me all the time wanting to know if dck was there on such and such day . Who picked up on this day etc.... it is really starting to bother me so I have not been replying until the next day . (dcd & dcm are not together and I feel like I am being pulled into the middle of their argumants).
DaveA 10:15 AM 08-25-2014
Mostly parents text me, so it really isn't an issue off a couple of texts to answer a question or confirm I got info they sent. If it's not a good time or it can wait, I just tell them I can't talk now or I'll talk to them at drop off the next morning.
Reply Up