Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter outdoor activities
Indoorvoice 08:29 AM 08-25-2014
What kinds of things do you do outside with your kids in the winter? We get a lot of snow and just can't imagine that my yard will be that fun to play in with most of the toys out of commission. I have a couple of 3 year olds that will probably be just fine making up their own games, but what do you do with the one and unders? Ugh! And the snow clothes! I'm just not looking forward to it. Please give me your winter tips and any ideas of fun toys I might need to buy before winter comes!
Meyou 08:47 AM 08-25-2014
They still play with all the large yard toys like play houses, slides and the mud kitchen. I also keep a tote of sand shovels and buckets by the door and they build snow castles all winter long. They like making snowmen and I have a couple of sets of snowman parts to dress them up. We go to the playground and for lots of walks.

One and unders get plunked in the snow with everyone else or in a stroller for a walk. I normally don't have any under 6 months though.

ETA: spray bottles with colored water for painting are popular too.
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 08-25-2014
My kids build snow forts, spray the snow with snow paint (water with food coloring), make snow men, slide (DH makes a big sliding hill for the kids with the snow plow), run through the snow trails (DH makes paths in the snow with the snow blower) and we go for walks too.

As for the snow gear, learn to do it in a group.

I have all the kids get their stuff and come sit in a circle.

We start with snow pants, then boots, then hat, then mittens, then jacket.

I come along and zip, tuck and fix anything that needs adjusting.

If the older kids get their snow pants on first, they help the littles.

I can get all 10 of my kids ready to go in less than 15 minutes.

In the winter months, we go out twice a day so practice definitely makes perfect!
nothingwithoutjoy 08:53 AM 08-25-2014
Biggest hit here for the littles is to use those infant sleds with the high back. The bigger kids like pulling them around, and the little ones love it.

If the snow is totally unmanageable or getting too cold for crawlers, a wading pool comes in handy as a snow-free play zone.

I have also shoveled an area for play when the snow gets too deep to be manageable for little legs.
Reply Up