Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Year Old Temper
Unregistered 07:14 AM 08-26-2014
I have a 1 year old dcb that I've had since birth. In the past few months, he has entered the stage of hitting, throwing toys, pulling hair and temper tantrums. He has a really bad temper and when I tell him no, he throws toys or throws himself on the ground and has a fit. This week, whenever I change his diaper, he has started kicking me. He also just throws food all over the floor. I know some of this is typical behavior for a one year old, so I'm just trying to find some solutions to make our days go better. A lot of what I go through with dcb, I didn't go through with my son, so I just don't know how to handle it.

I know people say if the parents don't reinforce behavior at home, there isn't much hope daycare will be any different, but I want to try.

His parents have been informed everyday of his behavior and they just say ok and that they give him a 2 second time out.

In addition to issues with his 3 year old sister, I'm about to go insane. I'm trying really hard to make this work before deciding to stay with the family or not.
AmyKidsCo 08:26 AM 08-26-2014
Oh yes, I've got a 14 mo old like that right now. When he throws himself on the ground I walk away. If he throws food he's done and gets down. If he throws toys I tell him No once and if it happens again he's moved away from those toys. If I think he's throwing tantrums because he's tired he goes into the PnP for a nap.
Heidi 11:50 AM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Oh yes, I've got a 14 mo old like that right now. When he throws himself on the ground I walk away. If he throws food he's done and gets down. If he throws toys I tell him No once and if it happens again he's moved away from those toys. If I think he's throwing tantrums because he's tired he goes into the PnP for a nap.

Always narrating "throwing food shows me you are not hungry. I will put your plate away". "Throwing toys is not safe...I am putting this toy away". "It hurts my ears when you yell. I am walking away until you're quiet".

I am developing a "whining" spot, because I have 2 kiddos that are drama queens. Every little *dislike" equals loud wailing. They can wail if they must...over THERE...."
BrooklynM 12:03 PM 08-26-2014
I have a crying step for my cryer. I have one that will throw his plate, so as soon as he is done, eating time is over for him, however, the one thing that he started doing was throwing his plate when he was actually done, so sometimes I will save a little of his favorite fruit for "after" the meal and then just put it on a napkin after the plates are gone. When he does throw his plate I also make him clean it all up as well. I don't know what about the throwing of the plate that he likes...He was a toy thrower, but not anymore.
melilley 12:06 PM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Always narrating "throwing food shows me you are not hungry. I will put your plate away". "Throwing toys is not safe...I am putting this toy away". "It hurts my ears when you yell. I am walking away until you're quiet".

I am developing a "whining" spot, because I have 2 kiddos that are drama queens. Every little *dislike" equals loud wailing. They can wail if they must...over THERE...."

My ds used to throw himself down all the time. I would say something pertaining to why he threw himself and would just walk away. He just turned 2 and doesn't really do it anymore.

I have a crying hallway! Come to think of it, I haven't had to use it in a while! My scream/crier hasn't been here all that much this summer.
Sunchimes 05:01 PM 08-26-2014
I have one about to turn 2. He has some neurological issues related to behavior, but a great deal of it is being 2. I have stopped him biting anyone, but when he gets excited, you can see his little senses go into overload and all of that feeling has to go somewhere or the top of his little head will explode. He throws, screams, and now, instead of biting another child or me, he bites his hand or hits the side of his head with his palm over and over. I do social timeouts where I turn him away from the scene of the crime and sit him down saying, "No hit/bite/scream/throw." Unlike regular timeouts, there is no time limit, it's just to separate him from things. When he turns 2, we will go to regular time outs.

I use a crying corner, and when things get too wild, he takes himself to the corner. I also try to ignore the random screaming. If a toy is thrown over and over, it goes to the time out room.

In his case, I believe that a lot of his anger and behavior is sensory related. I have started doing joint compressions and aroma therapy throughout the day. I have seen a lot of improvement since I started them. The more I learn about SPD, the more I see it in other children, and even in myself. I think a mild form is more common than anyone realizes.

I should add that I am working with a behavioral management therapist, speech (he's just starting to get a few words), and OT. He isn't under the behavioral therapist, but when she is visiting, she encourages me to ask questions if I have issues with any of the kids. She has been an enormous help. His OT and Speech therapist agreed with my feeling that there were mild sensory issues and are on board with the joint compressions and aromatherapy, as are the parents. It's really easy to do, takes just a couple of minutes, and he loves it. All of my kids love it. The compressions release a feel good chemical of some sort (I have the name in my notes somewhere.) I just line them up and go down the line doing compressions first thing every morning. When things get whiny, I pull them on my lap and do them. I just wish someone would do them for me!
lynne 05:46 PM 08-26-2014
I've got one thats 16 months, he's doing the limp noodle lately and not listening at all.Taking toys and being in everyones business, when I tell him no thank you he screams. I put him in the hall with a pillow and close the door so we don't have to listen to him....It's slowly working.
coolconfidentme 09:20 AM 08-27-2014
"Aww..., You must be tired." <insert child in PnP>
taylorw1210 11:41 AM 08-27-2014
I have this same little boy - also had him since birth and he just turned 1 in May. He will walk right up to another child and smack them, pushes, has been throwing toys, etc.

If he throws food on the floor, he's done eating.
If he hits another child with a toy, the toy is gone.
If he hits another child with his hand, I take his hand and show him the gentle way to touch another child.

When he throws himself on the floor and cries, I walk away.
taylorw1210 11:43 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

We call our spot the "cry corner" - I have multiple little drama queens and when they started with the senseless wailing, they would be directed to the cry corner. I very rarely have to put anyone in the cry corner now, and when I have to ask someone if they need to go - they voluntarily go sit in the cry corner until they are ready to come back and play.
NightOwl 01:15 PM 08-27-2014
I have a 12m dcg whom we refer to as the diva. If she gets angry or doesn't get what she wants, she purposefully gets into things she knows she's not supposed to have.

All of my dcks know to not touch anything on the end tables. They are all really good about it, including dcg. But if she gets mad, she will make a beeline to an end table, grab a remote control or whatever she can reach and throw it on the ground or run with it.
Reply Up