Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closings
NoMoreJuice! 07:51 PM 08-27-2014
I am ANNOYED...on July 15th, I gave my families a list of dates that I will be closed through Jan. 2nd. I clearly listed "Paid Holiday" or "Unpaid Closing" beside each date in both the letter I gave them and the laminated cheat sheet to hang on their fridge. I stupidly assumed this would eliminate all confusion and we could seamlessly make it through the holiday season.

NOPE! I posted a reminder on the door today and two different families were SO upset about the unpaid personal day I am taking next Friday. I gave them over a month's notice! Come on, people!

Does anyone have a foolproof way of making sure everyone's on board with closings? I wonder if they even read the note. Maybe I should send carrier pigeons to their offices?
melilley 08:00 PM 08-27-2014
I really don't think that there is a fool proof way!

I give out notices of all of my scheduled days off for the year in Jan. and also post notes on the door around the week before. If they "forget" or are mad when they see the note, too bad, so sad! I don't know how many reminders one needs!

My parents are pretty good at remembering my days off, except for one family. They always say "you have ____day off right?" or "you're not open on ___(usually a holiday) are you?" like it's a question and they don't know. If you know to ask, then you know.
DaveA 04:03 AM 08-28-2014
Nope- someone will always forget. I send out a letter with closings quarterly, a note home 2 weeks ahead of time, and talk the them all multiple times before a closing. I still get at least one look at me in stunned silence at the "revelation" I won't be open in a couple of days.
coolconfidentme 04:42 AM 08-28-2014
Sometimes I give them the most innocent, child-like look & say, "AH! That's where your child get's it from." When they get made, I fake the confusion look.

I figure if they don't want to stayed clued in, it's their life in chaos, not mine.
cheerfuldom 06:02 AM 08-28-2014
I bet they knew about it, just didn't like it. and no there is no fool proof way because you can't control other adults and their tantrums. I would just say "I sent home a letter and a laminated reminder sheet of all my days off. I gave over a month's notice. I posted this reminder. There is nothing more I can do by way of reminders so it is up to you to keep better track of the schedule here."
Play Care 06:06 AM 08-28-2014
I hear ya! I send home a newsletter, put a large sign right on my front door, and verbally tell them. I've still had a parent show on a day off.

I refuse to be made to feel bad/worried if they have a tantrum over it though. I'm so honest and upfront during the interview process about my time off that if people still choose to come here then it's on them. (Especially if the time if unpaid I feel they have no leg to stand on)
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I am ANNOYED...on July 15th, I gave my families a list of dates that I will be closed through Jan. 2nd. I clearly listed "Paid Holiday" or "Unpaid Closing" beside each date in both the letter I gave them and the laminated cheat sheet to hang on their fridge. I stupidly assumed this would eliminate all confusion and we could seamlessly make it through the holiday season.

NOPE! I posted a reminder on the door today and two different families were SO upset about the unpaid personal day I am taking next Friday. I gave them over a month's notice! Come on, people!

Does anyone have a foolproof way of making sure everyone's on board with closings? I wonder if they even read the note. Maybe I should send carrier pigeons to their offices?
There probably isn't a fool proof way to make sure everyone sees/reads your notices but one thing I tend to do is put it right back onto the parent.

The second, they start to show that they are upset or unaware of my closing I will say:

"I posted/sent out notice of this closing over a month ago Carole, didn't you read my memo?"

Or "I totally understand how tough it is to make alternate arrangements on my close days which is exactly why I made sure to give everyone MORE than enough notice."

Then I just stand there in silence and let them deal with the fact that THEIR failure to plan does not constitute an emergency on MY part. kiwm?
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 08-28-2014
The only fool proof method is to stop caring if they are on board with it.

Ignore adult temper tantrums the same way you do toddler ones.

Don't accidentally apologize for their lack of planning either. Not even a "I am sorry you feel that way".

"I hear you!! It is hard to keep up with all it takes to be a parent today. That is why I have to live off the calendar on my fridge. You'll get better at it, don't worry. Have a great night!"
NoMoreJuice! 06:53 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You'll get better at it, don't worry. Have a great night!"
That is my favorite quote! I have a family that's been with me for only a few months and this is the first time I've taken a day off, so I would love to say that to them!

Thanks everyone for the advice...I am going to take it and just brush off the annoyed eye-rolling they're throwing my way. Happy long weekend to you all!
originalkat 07:07 AM 08-28-2014
THere is no fooll proof way, but here is what I do:
1) Closing Calendar sent home in August for the upcoming school year
2)Monthly newsletter- The first thing listed each month is UPCOMING CLOSURES
3)Door Reminder 1 to 2 days before.
rosieteddy 11:22 AM 08-28-2014
I go one step futher and post a note the day of REMEMBER DAYCARE CLOSED TODAY ---SEE YOU ON ------------.I have on ocassion heard a parent at the door . I do not open it.
AmyKidsCo 01:52 PM 08-28-2014
My current families are great about closings (except my own kids, who should know better) but I'm worried about my new family that's supposed to start on the 8th. The child is only scheduled M & F, and I take a lot of Fs off. I'm taking 9/19 off and just sent out the announcement today. (It's for my in-laws' visit, and they just told us when they'd be coming this week. It's WAY too stressful to have them sitting on my couch all day with daycare too!)
Reply Up