Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-Places to Stay in Disneyworld
Scout 10:50 AM 03-08-2013
We are planning a trip next May(2014) and I am getting overwhelmed with where to stay! There are so many great options!! At first I was sold on The Cabins at Fort Wilderness because I want a full kitchen for at least breakfast. I also don't want to be confined to just a hotel room when DS naps! But, the more I look the more I find more affordable options! Most of them are time share resorts so I have been reading reviews and see many are ok if you don't do the presentations. We were going to drive at first but, have since decided to fly since traveling with a 2 and 5 yo isn't ideal for a 20 hour ride! Also, then we can stay 7 days!!

Have any of you ever stayed at a resort off of Disney property that has condos or full kitchen rooms that you would recommend for a family with young kids? Thanks!
NeedaVaca 10:55 AM 03-08-2013
We rented a house with a pool when we went to Disney. It was awesome because we would go to the parks in the morning, come home for lunch or naps for the young kids. Older kids could swim, go back to the parks in the afternoon. It didn't take more than 15 minutes to drive to the parks from the house and we saved a lot of money on food!
Play Care 11:16 AM 03-08-2013
Have you gone on the DISboards? You can get some awesome info off there.
We just got back from Disney. We stayed onsight at their new Art of Animation resport in the Little Mermaid room (we went over President's week and the cost of the suites was a bit much...) We LOVED the Disney transportation. They picked us up from the airport and then we used their shuttles the whole week. When we stayed off site last time, the place had shuttles but they were not as frequent. So if you are not going to have a car, it's something to really think about.
Scout 11:24 AM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Have you gone on the DISboards? You can get some awesome info off there.
We just got back from Disney. We stayed onsight at their new Art of Animation resport in the Little Mermaid room (we went over President's week and the cost of the suites was a bit much...) We LOVED the Disney transportation. They picked us up from the airport and then we used their shuttles the whole week. When we stayed off site last time, the place had shuttles but they were not as frequent. So if you are not going to have a car, it's something to really think about.
That is a struggle for me as I REALLY LOVE THE CARS SECTION OF THAT RESORT! I know ds would be in complete awe of it all but, if we do that with airfare and only a 5 day park hopper ticket it's close to $5000! I was looking on Expedia and I can get air, hotel, and a car rental for only $2000 so this is why I am confused!! We would save at least $1000....what to do, what to do! Do you have a specific board you visited? i have only checked out the moms panel on Disney's site and I am pretty sure they are supposed to get you to stay on Disney properties!
Scout 11:25 AM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
We rented a house with a pool when we went to Disney. It was awesome because we would go to the parks in the morning, come home for lunch or naps for the young kids. Older kids could swim, go back to the parks in the afternoon. It didn't take more than 15 minutes to drive to the parks from the house and we saved a lot of money on food!
Did you do a VRBO?
NeedaVaca 11:48 AM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Did you do a VRBO?
I'm sorry I don't know what VRBO is lol
Springdaze 12:23 PM 03-08-2013
I think its better to stay at a resort. you get transportation and the late hours!
Unregistered 01:20 PM 03-08-2013
That is a struggle for me as I REALLY LOVE THE CARS SECTION OF THAT RESORT! I know ds would be in complete awe of it all but, if we do that with airfare and only a 5 day park hopper ticket it's close to $5000! I was looking on Expedia and I can get air, hotel, and a car rental for only $2000 so this is why I am confused!! We would save at least $1000....what to do, what to do! Do you have a specific board you visited? i have only checked out the moms panel on Disney's site and I am pretty sure they are supposed to get you to stay on Disney properties!
I'm on a different device I will try to give you the link when I get my laptop back ( dh is currently hogging it ) the DISboards are great because you get opinions from those who have stayed both on and offsite and you may get a better idea of what would work for your family.
The deciding factor for us is money, but also that for our family, Disney is not a premier travel destination. We are not going to pay top dollar for an amusement park vacation. Don't get me wrong, Disney does it like no other, but at the end of the day, it's still an amusement park. We plan on going to Hawaii in a couple of years and a European trip when are girls are a bit older. I don't want to stay at the Grand Floridian if it means I can't go to other places.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 03-08-2013
And please excuse the spelling, grammar and other mistakes
Michael 01:25 PM 03-08-2013
We were going to stay at the Disneyland Pier Hotel next week but we also own a townhouse 20 minutes away in Laguna Beach and decided to stay there instead. The Disney hotels can be pricey but its nice to stay within the Disney environment. Here are some Disney resorts to compare: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/compare/
Scout 02:02 PM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I'm sorry I don't know what VRBO is lol
sorry, it's vacation rentals by owner!
Scout 02:05 PM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm on a different device I will try to give you the link when I get my laptop back ( dh is currently hogging it ) the DISboards are great because you get opinions from those who have stayed both on and offsite and you may get a better idea of what would work for your family.
The deciding factor for us is money, but also that for our family, Disney is not a premier travel destination. We are not going to pay top dollar for an amusement park vacation. Don't get me wrong, Disney does it like no other, but at the end of the day, it's still an amusement park. We plan on going to Hawaii in a couple of years and a European trip when are girls are a bit older. I don't want to stay at the Grand Floridian if it means I can't go to other places.
I agree. I want to go and have a great time but, there is no way I'd pay over $500 a night to stay at a resort! This is sortof why I am looking off site now. Some of these resorts have putt putt, basketball, etc. and ds is a sports nut, even at 4! I will greatly appreciate the link too! I just wanted to do a fun family vacation for them and I really don't like the beach, even though we will go to Myrtle Beach probably the next year or year after that(want to make sure little guy knows how to swim before that).
Springdaze 02:10 PM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree with this. I went for the first time in dec and it was really cool and I was excited to finally say I went, but I think I would have had just as much fun other places. Money adds up pretty quick!
NeedaVaca 02:33 PM 03-08-2013
Did you do a VRBO?
Yes! In the end even though we needed a car rental I think we saved more this way and it was a much more relaxed atmosphere. The kids were so wound up from the parks that it was nice to get away at the end of the day. We saved $ eating at the house and with the pool kids got to swim during the day and at night with no one else around which was awesome!
Play Care 05:16 AM 03-09-2013
http://www.disboards.com/

I also like "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bob Sehlinger. He updates the book every year. Your library may have a copy or if you have a interlibrary network they might be able to request it from one who does. He also reviews the pros and cons of onsite vs. offsite.
Scout 06:26 AM 03-09-2013
http://www.disboards.com/

I also like "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bob Sehlinger. He updates the book every year. Your library may have a copy or if you have a interlibrary network they might be able to request it from one who does. He also reviews the pros and cons of onsite vs. offsite.
thank you! I tried googling Disboards and then I realized that was the real name of them! I was on it for about 2 hours last night!! And I will look for the guide.
countrymom 06:55 AM 03-10-2013
I'm here right now, we stay in a house.
DCMom 08:25 AM 03-10-2013
We went through VRBO and rented a huge 4-bedroom house with a pool on the 18th hole of a golf course in Kissammee. Even with the car rental it was still cheaper than a hotel and buying all our food at the resort. About the third day, our kids just wanted to stay at the house with the pool and we went to the parks in the evening. It was nice not to have 5 of us cooped up in a hotel room and we saved a ton on food.
Scout 02:06 PM 03-10-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I'm here right now, we stay in a house.
I hope you have a WONDERFUL, RELAXING TIME!!
Scout 02:09 PM 03-10-2013
I think I am going to be addicted to the Disboards!! I was up til 1 last night scoping out different off site resorts!! I am leaning toward a condo resort over a house now only because I don't want to have to worry about little guy walking out the door and into the pool(you never know if we may forget to lock a door!). So far I love Sheraton Vistana Villages and Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa has the coolest pirate ship pool for the kids too! This will be a very hard decision for me!
countrymom 02:18 PM 03-10-2013
its so much better staying in a house then on resort. First you don't have to worry about people screaming and yelling at all hours, you buy your own food so you save money and washer and dryer. You can wash your own clothes so when you go home all you have to do is put it all away lol! we also like the fact that the kids have their own space so they do whatever they want in the house.
spud912 03:13 PM 03-10-2013
I think I am going to be addicted to the Disboards!! I was up til 1 last night scoping out different off site resorts!! I am leaning toward a condo resort over a house now only because I don't want to have to worry about little guy walking out the door and into the pool(you never know if we may forget to lock a door!). So far I love Sheraton Vistana Villages and Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa has the coolest pirate ship pool for the kids too! This will be a very hard decision for me!
Haha ditto!! I have been frequenting that board more now than this board. We are going to DisneyLAND in a month and a half....soooooo excited!!! We are staying off site (across the street, which is a closer walk than some of the Disney hotels). We ultimately decided on a cheap hotel with a suite (separate rooms for sleeping convenience) since we aren't going for the hotel . We do make a point of saving up enough money to eat out because we enjoy it, so we will be eating out most of the meals (except breakfasts ).
Play Care 06:29 PM 03-10-2013
Haha! I am on pretty much nonstop when we are going. I have to go cold turkey when the trip is over because I get jealous of everyone still planning

I don't know how old your kids are but one of the pros of staying onsite when you have little ones is being able to go back and forth easily from park to hotel. One of the posters already touched on an issue some people have when staying off site - they find they want to hang out at their "home" and are not at the parks as much. Now, for me, this wouldn't be a terrible issue - some of the rental homes and condos have so many things to do right there and we go in winter so just being out of the snow/cold is mostly good enough. But some people get really tweeky at the thought of having shelled out almost a grand for park tickets and not going every day (you've probably already read their posts ).

As I said we just got back and stayed onsight. While the transportation was awesome toward the end of the week I didn't feel so much as surrounded by the Disney "bubble" as suffocated by it. By Thursday I would have sold my soul to be able to cook a meal and wash some clothes.
Scout 08:16 PM 03-10-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
its so much better staying in a house then on resort. First you don't have to worry about people screaming and yelling at all hours, you buy your own food so you save money and washer and dryer. You can wash your own clothes so when you go home all you have to do is put it all away lol! we also like the fact that the kids have their own space so they do whatever they want in the house.
I am only looking at resorts with full kitchens! and most have washers and dryers too! I just am really worried about a patio door to a pool that is RIGHT THERE! Kwim? I still have lots of time to plan so we will see!
Scout 08:18 PM 03-10-2013
Haha! I am on pretty much nonstop when we are going. I have to go cold turkey when the trip is over because I get jealous of everyone still planning

I don't know how old your kids are but one of the pros of staying onsite when you have little ones is being able to go back and forth easily from park to hotel. One of the posters already touched on an issue some people have when staying off site - they find they want to hang out at their "home" and are not at the parks as much. Now, for me, this wouldn't be a terrible issue - some of the rental homes and condos have so many things to do right there and we go in winter so just being out of the snow/cold is mostly good enough. But some people get really tweeky at the thought of having shelled out almost a grand for park tickets and not going every day (you've probably already read their posts ).

As I said we just got back and stayed onsight. While the transportation was awesome toward the end of the week I didn't feel so much as surrounded by the Disney "bubble" as suffocated by it. By Thursday I would have sold my soul to be able to cook a meal and wash some clothes.
I definately don't want to go to a park every day! I am only going to buy a 4 or 5 day park pass for a 7 day stay. I want down time the first day, one in the middle and probably the last day. The kids will be 2 and 5 if we go in may or 3 and 5 if we go in Sept. You stayed at AOA right? Did you love it?
Scout 08:19 PM 03-10-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
Haha ditto!! I have been frequenting that board more now than this board. We are going to DisneyLAND in a month and a half....soooooo excited!!! We are staying off site (across the street, which is a closer walk than some of the Disney hotels). We ultimately decided on a cheap hotel with a suite (separate rooms for sleeping convenience) since we aren't going for the hotel . We do make a point of saving up enough money to eat out because we enjoy it, so we will be eating out most of the meals (except breakfasts ).
I wonder what the difference is in the World and the Land? You will have to let me know if you've been to both.
spud912 08:37 PM 03-10-2013
I wonder what the difference is in the World and the Land? You will have to let me know if you've been to both.
Oh, HUGE difference! I've been to both already and World is a lot better IMHO. World (and the surrounding parks) has a lot more "stuff" to see so you would need more days to see it all. Plus, I like all the surrounding activities in Orlando and its outskirts (better beaches, more thematic dining choices, etc.). We are going to Land because we live in Arizona and we can drive. If I had to fly somewhere (4 tickets ), it would be out of our price range. I do want to take our daughters to World, but not until further down the road when I make more money
spud912 08:41 PM 03-10-2013

I've wondered how I'm going to "detox" from Disney thoughts and planning after we come back. I've heard the only thing to do is plan the next trip, but that won't be awhile for us (we hardly ever spend money on vacation so this will take some recovery).
Play Care 03:03 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
I've wondered how I'm going to "detox" from Disney thoughts and planning after we come back. I've heard the only thing to do is plan the next trip, but that won't be awhile for us (we hardly ever spend money on vacation so this will take some recovery).
That seems to be common disboard wisdom We are also not planning on going back for at least 3-4 years. To start planning now would be bordering on obession, IMO
Kim 04:38 AM 03-11-2013
Have you checked into Bonnet Creek. It's on Disney property but now owned by Disney. They have everything you're looking for plus they're really close to the all the parks. It even has a lazy river. There's a thread on the disboards dedicated to the place!

My favorite place to stay on property is Caribbean Beach- tropical getaway without paying a ton. I don't want a kitchen though- this mama isn't cooking on vacation! I usually wash our clothes mid week while we are at the pool. Whoever thought of putting the laundry building at the pool was really thinking!
Scout 05:58 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by Kim:
Have you checked into Bonnet Creek. It's on Disney property but now owned by Disney. They have everything you're looking for plus they're really close to the all the parks. It even has a lazy river. There's a thread on the disboards dedicated to the place!

My favorite place to stay on property is Caribbean Beach- tropical getaway without paying a ton. I don't want a kitchen though- this mama isn't cooking on vacation! I usually wash our clothes mid week while we are at the pool. Whoever thought of putting the laundry building at the pool was really thinking!
I know, right? They all seem to LOVE Bonnet Creek! I looked and I don't get it! I will look again and see! I thought the pools looked boring. But, there has to be a reason all these peeps love it and recommend it!
MamaBearCanada 07:15 AM 03-11-2013
We did a house rental with pool through VRBO and it was awesome. We flew and rented a car. It meant we could buy a lot of our own food, just relax at the pool when we wanted some down time, use to car to visit other places, and it was a lot cheaper! We all had our own space and we could put our daughter down for a nap if she needed one.
Tags:disneyland
Reply Up