Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maintaining Professional Provider - Parent Relationships
Shawn 08:00 AM 06-10-2016
Hello all. Venting...

I need some suggestions on how to keep parents from wanting a "friend" relationship with me.

I know this may sound a little crazy but it's become a problem for me.

Within the last 6 years, I have encountered parents who want to "hang out" with me. I'm glad they see me as a cool person, it has turned bad in a few situations.

Some parents trust me way more then just being their child's care giver. Some have lead to the point of taking advantage of me.

I've had parents who shared a lot more "TMI" then i would like to know.

Parents who felt they crossed into the friend zone, didn't have to follow the policies.

Even those who decided it was okay to get drunk during their lunch hour and forget their child was at daycare.

I'm just sick of it all. Don't get me wrong I have had families who treat me as extension of their families and include me in major family celebrations but understand that I also provide a service that they are contracted in.

I don't want to come off as a being unfriendly, unsympathetic, uncaring, or stringent. I like that parents are comfortable and trusting. I just don't want to hear about how a dad sells drugs to pay for daycare or about how the mom thinks the dad is bi sexual, or how a parent felt we were "cool" so she doesn't understand why I won't go to dinner with her although she was behind in payment, or why I terminated a mom who yelled and threatened me about why her autistic son doesn't know sign language but thought we were friends because I listened to her constant cries about her dysfunctional childhood.

The last of the "We're cool , right?" clients are now gone. I just want to prevent this from happening ever again. Pick up your kid, ask how their day went, pay me and go home.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Tags:friends as clients, parent relationship
Up