Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Decisions, Decisions....
seashell 05:53 AM 09-10-2010
I have a family here who is driving me nuts with late pick ups and payments. I close at 6pm. They arrive at 6:15. Payment is due on Friday. They pay on Monday. Constantly!

At the begining of our new school year, I send home a firm reminder to everyone about closing and payments. In the letter I stated that my children had evening activities and it was important that they arrived on time so that my children could be on time for their activities. They smile and nod in agreement and then do what they please.

I have asked that they don't bring toys from home. They do it anyway.

I give him a snack and drink 30 minutes before mom and dad pick up. They come in acting like the child is starving and shove food and drinks at him. I tell them all the time that he just had some and should be find, but they look at me like I have 12 heads.

They demand to know about the child's poop, color, consistancy... He's 2 and has NO medical condition that would require an explaination other than yes, he pooped today.

When the child gets sick, they claim I must have fed him something that was spoiled.

Dad eats bugger from the kids hair! YEs, you read that right! He had a small dried bugger in his hair and dad picked it out with his teeth!

They come in after close, sit down on the floor and pull out toys to play with with their child.

When no one from daycare went to his birthday party, they accused me of not passing out the invites (They didn't go because no one can stand the parents)

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is they are disrespectful and they feel that they are the only ones on the planet to have ever had a baby and that they and their child should be worshiped.

Sooooo.... I'm done. I'm looking for another child to take his place and then they are gone. Here's my concern...

They brought in another family. Could me dismissing their friend cause a problem with the family I want to keep?

This child is soooo good for me! What if the next one isn't? I'll kick myself. It's easier to deal with a good kid for 10 hours and annoying parents for 20 minutes a day than the other way around.

Finally, suggestions to end the relationship nicely with minimal stress for everyone?

Thanks!
momma2girls 05:57 AM 09-10-2010
Yeah, I know it sucks, when you have bad parents. I had a parent once treat myself and my child like crap!! Always made comments- he was a rude car salesman!!! I finally had it with his mouth, and definately said something, that he couldn't pick up or drop off any longer, only his wife. I even explained to his wife, how bad he was. I think the wife, was on my side(I just wonder what goes on at home) they quit, gave a 2 week notice!!!
missnikki 06:41 AM 09-10-2010
Pardon my bluntness- I wonder why you've been letting them get away with this for so long? Late pickups are VERY VERY expensive in my program. $1/minute, cash only at pickup. If stopping by the ATM is necessary first, add that to your bill. On the 3rd and each time after that, it's $30 PLUS the $1/minute. I learned that one by watching parents stroll in 10 min late with a Starbucks for me, saying "Oh I was so tired on the way home I thought I'd grab a coffee." I love coffee, but not at 6:10 at night when I have to be up at 5:00am for your kids. I'd rather have them show up on time with NO coffee.

Not paying on time- again- that is something you need a policy for. AND you need to enforce it. If you let parents get away with something once and forgive without doing anything about it, there is nothing stopping them from trying it again.

If I'm wrong and you've given them consequences, then I'm sorry to sound so rude. I read your post to mean that these parents are not following the 2 basic rules of a contract- expectations (hours) and compensation (payment), and that instead of handling it, you let it go to the point that you want to term them.

As far as the second family- you said no one came to the kids' party because they can't stand the parents- maybe that family is not close to them and can understand why you dismissed them.

In any case, I hope you find a family that suits you better- that's the ideal we all hope for.
ninosqueridos 06:48 AM 09-10-2010
With termination, I would type out a quick letter highlighting the sections of your handbook (word for word) that they are in repeated violation of and that's it. No apologies for anything. It is HARD - I've only had to do it once but believe me, it has made each day stress-free and my guts no longer turn knots like they used to when the parent would pull up to pick up their child. Good luck and here's to finding another fantastic family.
missnikki 06:49 AM 09-10-2010
Sheesh, after reading my post, I didn't even answer your question.
To term someone who is difficult, you need to put it in writing. Give notice (2 weeks is customary) and think about how you want the final payment. You need to tell them ASAP, and do not apologize. You can be upfront and honest about the lack of respect of your rules and personal time, or you can be roundabout and say that you are looking for a family that fits your scheduling needs better.
Short and simple, no apologies, professional. Think of your excuses and their possible arguments, and come up with whatever feels right. Be strong. After that, pour a glass of wine and take a bubble bath- you've got to interview families!
Let us know how it goes.
MyAngels 07:03 AM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by seashell:
They brought in another family. Could me dismissing their friend cause a problem with the family I want to keep?
I would just keep it professional, and simply tell that you simply were not a good fit with the terminated family.

That whole eating the bugger out of the kids hair made me think of apes grooming each other lol!
legomom922 08:29 AM 09-10-2010
I tend to let the late fees slide, however I do NOT let late payment fees slide. I charge $10 for everyday their payment is late, and that is in my handbook.

I had this set of parents who decided at 9am, when they should have been at my house by 8, that they were going to the waterpark...fine with me, because they know they had to pay me anyway, and they said they would drop off my pay later...well later never came...until the next day. I told her I had to add the $10 late payment fee on. They had to drive right by my street to get to the waterpark, so why didnt they stop on their way?? Bottom line is they blew me off....paying me was not important to them, and it cost them. They have never been late with a payment since...
Tags:late payment, late pickup
Reply Up