Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Home Daycare Provider--New Gal
Unregistered 08:15 AM 03-03-2011
My child is in a large home daycare (14 kids max...no more than 3 kids under 2). I love the ladies, and my child has truly thrived there. However, one of the ladies found another job, and they hired a replacement for her.

This gal graduated from high school in 2010, so I imagine she is no more than 19 years old. I looked her up on facebook..her hobbies are 'sleeping and partying.'

Am I right to want to pull my child? I just don't trust a teenager with 14 kids ALONE when the other provider goes on vacation, runs an errand, or does the school dropoff.
jen 08:24 AM 03-03-2011
Can she be alone with 14 kids???? Here, that would be illegal in a big way! Where are you from? Do you happen to know your licensing capacity regs?
jen 08:25 AM 03-03-2011
ps: you're right, you shouldn't leave your child alone with a teenager caring for 14 kids.
kendallina 08:28 AM 03-03-2011
I agree with Jen. Check your state's licensing regs , I doubt that she can be alone with 14 children. I wouldn't be concerned about a 19-year old being with my child with the other provider there or with just a couple of kids, as long as she's just as responsible, professional, as good with my kiddo as anyone else.
momatheart 08:29 AM 03-03-2011
read my post under the thread of daycare home or centers.

I thought this was a center sorry.
Unregistered 08:30 AM 03-03-2011
I am in California...I do know that one stays in the house while one does school drop-off/pick-up for the other kids, or does the grocery shopping, etc. They each take one week vacation..and one stays with the kids while the other is gone (during summer, no school).
Meeko 08:41 AM 03-03-2011
I'm in Utah and run a group day care. We are licensed for 16. But once we are over 8 kids, there must be TWO providers here at ALL times. In Utah at least, they would be breaking the rules if one of them left for even a minute.
jen 08:46 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am in California...I do know that one stays in the house while one does school drop-off/pick-up for the other kids, or does the grocery shopping, etc. They each take one week vacation..and one stays with the kids while the other is gone (during summer, no school).
I'm guessing that they are within ratios when taking kids to school as neither provider has ALL the kids. Vacations are another story. Here you can do 12 without an assistant, is it possible that in the summer there are fewer kids?

In the end, I wouldn't be comfortable with a 19 year old daycare provider.
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 03-03-2011
Here the "Provider" must be at least 21....the "Assistant" can be 18 BUT the "Provider" MUST be present, in the building, at all times....
nannyde 09:38 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
In the end, I wouldn't be comfortable with a 19 year old daycare provider.
That's what I'm sayin.

I couldn't do twelve kids by myself on my best day. NO way.
Crystal 09:49 AM 03-03-2011
In Ca. you can have 14 children, with two being under the age of 2 and two must be school age. There must be an assistant at all times, unless there are 8 in care, with three under 2 allowed and 2 must be school age. If there are more than 8, there must be at least two caregivers AT ALL TIMES. Including during school transport, etc. So technically she should have two assistants if she is doing drop off and pick up or running any errands.

The assistant can be as young as 14 years old. YES, 14 years old. BUT, if under 18 cannot EVER be left alone with the children.
squareone 09:59 AM 03-03-2011
The only thing that has me worried about the new girl is that she doesn't have her facebook page set to private. WHO DOES THAT???!!!

For the record I partied and slept when I was 19 too, but I was also a full-time student and a very responsible employee at my part-time job. Hard workers deserve to have a little fun and a little R&R during their down time

I would be a little nervous but probably wouldn't pull my child - especially if she was doing so well there and you had a great relationship with the caretakers. As long as the new girl is professional, caring, and efficient at work, what she does on her own time is her business.

Like a pp mentioned, some of the kids are school age so one person is probably never left with all 14 kids at one time. Since you and your daughter are both comfortable there, I would give the new girl a chance.
Michael 03:17 PM 03-03-2011
Having a public Facebook account with that kind of information is like hanging your dirty laundry in public. Actually it is a good thing in this situation. Lawyers are always searching for member content for their litigation on Facebook. Some people just don't get it.
daycare 05:19 PM 03-03-2011
lol 19 year olds do that because they are too young to know any better.. I lived that same life style when I was in college. I even worked as a camp councilor, but the kids were older.... I was fun when I needed to be and responsible when I needed to be.. In fact, my first job that I help from age 16-26 was at the police department...

But just like you, I would not want a 19 year old being left alone to watch that many children... Which is illegal in CA to do so with just one person...
Jewels 04:15 AM 03-04-2011
I would be okay with a 19 year old being a helper, that would not bother me, but she should never be left alone with that many children, it would not be legal, and if they do that, they are breaking the law. It would not bother me that she sleeps and parties, she is 19, I did the same thing when I was 19, but still worked full time, and went to school, I was responsible, but when I didn't have to be I had fun, Everyone is allowed to have fun time, while they are not working, because she parties, does not mean she'll be doing a beer bong while watching the children.
Unregistered 07:02 AM 03-04-2011
I'd be concerned with someone that young watching that many children alone, too. "Partying" would be a red flag to me, though, if she's really talking about drinking. Because that shows a big lapse in her decision-making skills, considering she's underage. Can you tell from her pictures or other posts if that's what she really means? If it is, I'd show the main provider her page and see how things develop from there. Normally, I'd say what someone does in their spare time doesn't matter, but drinking at her age is illegal.
emosks 07:34 AM 03-04-2011
Before you pull your child...the best thing to do would be to talk to the provider about your concerns. You might not be the only one with these concerns!
Candyland 08:43 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Having a public Facebook account with that kind of information is like hanging your dirty laundry in public. Actually it is a good thing in this situation. Lawyers are always searching for member content for their litigation on Facebook. Some people just don't get it.
Yes, some people just don't get it.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 05-17-2011
But on the other hand why is it of anyone's bussiness what she does in her personal time?
She 19! If she is partying with the kids, then complain.
missnikki 11:07 AM 05-17-2011
I say give her the same chance anyone else gets....but don't forget that there are plenty of things a person could do on their own time that would have you yank your child if they were the new hire...where do YOU draw the line? (I'm talking in extremes here, but still...)
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 05-17-2011
One of the absolute best parents I have ever had in my care started with her 6 week old son (she was 18 and still in high school ). She partied EVERY weekend, I know because she was friends with my daughter and I heard all the details every weekend.... (her child was being cared for by her mother and/or the father during those times). Had them in care until child went to Kindergarten. After high school, mom worked a full time job and went to college. The child was always clean, always well mannered, always well groomed, great daycare parent...respectful, on time, paid on time, etc etc etc...

....and the parent I have spent the most time complaining about and wishing I could term every day I had them in care was in her mid 40ies and never spent a minute in a bar or drinking and partying (atleast not to my knowledge). Colloege educated, great job. This mom had 2 kids and every complaint I read on this forum could be in regards to her...... rude, disrespectful, dirty kid, spoiled behavior, didnt want her kid napping, late or no shopwed often, late or missed payments, lived at McDonald's etc etc etc......

AGE is just a number....

Behavior is what tells the story. Give the girl a chance..... but at the very least do share your concerns with the main provider.
Unregistered 01:04 PM 05-17-2011
No way! And I wouldn't even discuss this beforehand with the owner. If the owner can make such a bad hiring decision that is blatantly obvious, there are probably other things going on there too. The only reasons I can think of why she hired this girl is because she was cheapest and had the minimum 1 year certification in child care and/or was the only person to apply and/or is someone she knows or someone else knows. Regardless, she should only be hired as an assistant, never a lead teacher to be left alone with any children at her age. She is completely inexperienced and this in itself is dangerous to any age group in a child care setting. Been there, done that before, and it was a big disaster - owner stood by her hires while parents left in flocks, including us. Get your kid out of there now.
Unregistered 11:04 AM 05-19-2011
Hi everyone:

Thank you for all your responses..I am the original poster of the child who was in this daycare. We pulled him out...she also lied to us about the ages of twins she added...she told us they were over 2, they were under, which put her over her infant max. I certainly was not comfortable being lied to, or a teenager being in charge of that many kids (and she is alone with them at times).

I love our new daycare, and our child really thrives there--we've only had tears a couple times in the three months he's been there, and she has given us great advice on dealing with tantrums. She also does tons of crafts and outdoor time with the kids--things I don' t think the toddlers really did at the old place.
Unregistered 11:05 AM 05-19-2011
Hi everyone:

Thank you for all your responses..I am the original poster of the child who was in this daycare. We pulled him out...she also lied to us about the ages of twins she added...she told us they were over 2, they were under, which put her over her infant max. I certainly was not comfortable being lied to, or a teenager being in charge of that many kids (and she is alone with them at times).

I love our new daycare, and our child really thrives there--we've only had tears a couple times in the three months he's been there.
jen2651 06:37 PM 05-23-2011
Thank you for the update, glad everything worked out for you and your family!
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone:

I love our new daycare, and our child really thrives there--we've only had tears a couple times in the three months he's been there.
So glad to hear it
Tags:assistant, facebook
Reply Up