Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Is Sick & Still Brought Kids Even Though She Did Not Have To
momofboys 06:18 AM 03-09-2011
Sorry for the long title! The short story on this is my DCM is on spring break this week & b/c I am still making her pay (she gave me 2 days notice for her time off & expected to pay by the day) she is bringing her kids 3 days or so which is fine. Anyway, she came in this morning telling me she had STREP. The kids are fine, of course. I mentioned that they may be fine but they likely would not exhibit symptoms for a few days. I am pis&ed that she would expose us to what could potentially make my kids sick when she could have just kept her toddler home. What is your policy? The mom had no school or work to go to. She just started on antibiotics last night. Would you have let the children stay?
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 03-09-2011
I would have allowed them to stay because quite honestly, the strep germs could be picked up anywhere and just because the mom has it doesn't mean the kids will. (I would watch for signs though)

I posted something similar yesterday about mom having the flu (H1N1) and still wanting to bring her dd. The doctor I spoke to said viruses and germs come from everywhere and there is no need to exclude unless the child attending is actually showing signs of illness. If we exclude immediately after seeing signs and symptoms, then we can help curb an outbreak....until they are actually sick though, they should be allowed to come.

My DH and my DD both get strep if you say the word, myself and my DS have never had it in our entire lives. Some people get it and some people don't.

On a side note; I have 2 moms on spring break too, but I guaranteed myself an easy week by telling them both they could pay and come as regularly scheduled or they could pay 3/4th of their regular bill and not come. Both decided to take the discounted rate and keep their kids...now I am 2 less this week and it is sooo nice!
KEG123 07:17 AM 03-09-2011
I would let them come, primarily because if I was mom and I was sick with strep, I'd be wanting a day to recoup. If they show signs of illness, call mom immediately. Make sure to wash hands (more than usual) and watch for the kids chewing on toys, take them and wash immediately. Just be cautious, is what I'd do.
ninosqueridos 07:27 AM 03-09-2011
I would have let the child stay. I have no policy about the parents being ill and bringing their healthy children. In fact, I'd prefer to have their child with me than to be HOME with their SICK parent for 2-3 days and then return to my house.
emosks 07:38 AM 03-09-2011
If she is following your own sick policy then she should be able to bring them. My entire family is sick right now and I haven't gotten it and they've been sick for 3 weeks.

Now, if the kids had a fever or diagnosed contagious illness then no...she shouldn't have brought them.
Jewels 07:48 AM 03-09-2011
All I know is I have the stomach flu, and if I had a daycare for my kids, I would totally send them, so I could relax and sleep, and not have to worry about breakfast and lunch, and diapers........I am all for parents bringing their kids if the parent is sick, yes the kid might get it, but they don't have it yet, every mom knows how much it sucks to be super sick and have kids running around screaming. When my daycare parents are home sick, I say bring those kids here and get yourself a day to relax and get better.
Autismworld 08:44 AM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Sorry for the long title! The short story on this is my DCM is on spring break this week & b/c I am still making her pay (she gave me 2 days notice for her time off & expected to pay by the day) she is bringing her kids 3 days or so which is fine. Anyway, she came in this morning telling me she had STREP. The kids are fine, of course. I mentioned that they may be fine but they likely would not exhibit symptoms for a few days. I am pis&ed that she would expose us to what could potentially make my kids sick when she could have just kept her toddler home. What is your policy? The mom had no school or work to go to. She just started on antibiotics last night. Would you have let the children stay?
Was this one of the original 3 days she planned on bringing her children or did she just show up with them assuming? I would have of been upset if she just showed up and expected to change the dynamics of my day.... but I still probably would have of allowed it

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
On a side note; I have 2 moms on spring break too, but I guaranteed myself an easy week by telling them both they could pay and come as regularly scheduled or they could pay 3/4th of their regular bill and not come. Both decided to take the discounted rate and keep their kids...now I am 2 less this week and it is sooo nice!
I do this too....I offer a 1/2 rate if they keep their kids home... worth it to me a couple times a year to have lighter days and they appreciate the break in their fee.
Unregistered 11:41 AM 03-09-2011
I don't know, it seems that it's usually the kids that get their parents sick, not vice versa. Adults (usually) know not to share drinks, wash their hands, take precautions, etc. I'd let mom bring the kids.
Tags:sick kid, sick parent, sick policy
Reply Up