Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>State Taxes Requires Further Review...Received Fed
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:08 AM 03-14-2011
I filed my taxes on Feb. 16th and have received my federal return on March 4th with no problems. I have been checking the status of my New York State refund and day after day it shows my refund requires further review and can take up to 60 days!!

I called them last week and they have no other information for me other than they need to look at it more closely, she said nothing may be wrong they just need to review it and if there was something they will mail a letter requesting more information but at that point nothing yet has been mailed out for me to respond to.

I'm sure my state refund is on the higher side than a majority of the population as I have 4 kids, so is this NYS's way of holding on to my money as long as they can or is it possible they will ask for an audit? I have never had my refund held up and not sure what is going on...all I can do is wait and wait which is frustrating because I really could use that money right now!
kendallina 09:55 AM 03-14-2011
In 2008 we had our state return held up for months. We had just moved from California to Ohio and therefore had to do both Cali and Ohio returns. Well, apparently we did the Ohio one wrong because they held it up and kept requesting more information. At one point they said that we owed them $1600 (we'd only lived in Ohio for 3 months at that point). It was just a problem of not having the paperwork filled out correctly, so we had to mail back and forth a couple of times. I've always done my own taxes and never had a problem until then. We figured it out, figured that they owed us $60 and they paid quickly once we got it right. Do you think there might be a small mistake on the return? Did you forget to sign it or anything?
TomCopeland 09:59 AM 03-14-2011
I don't know why your state is holding up your tax return. Could be a number of things. All you can do is wait.
Michael 02:00 PM 03-14-2011
New York and California may be waiting longer. They are short on cash. I've never seen CA cash my home property tax check so quick.
daycare 02:03 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
New York and California may be waiting longer. They are short on cash. I've never seen CA cash my home property tax check so quick.
last year I got an IOU from the state of CA.....lol it was only for $14.00
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:24 AM 03-16-2011
I can only hope they are waiting to pass the state budget by April 1st and it's nothing else that will hold it up even longer.

I asked a few people I know and most of them got theirs relatively quick. A couple people are still waiting but filed after me.

I remember NY delaying payments last year but everyone knew about it, so far this year I haven't heard anything about a delay, but I do know the state is really broke...they are proposing to make BIG budget cuts in our schools.
Tags:refund, tax return, taxes, tom copeland
Reply Up