Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thank you Doctor!
MissAnn 08:54 AM 04-07-2011
Thank you doctor......after I sent a child home today with a fever lf 100.5.....thank you for telling the mom that it was probably because he did not sleep well last night or allergies....and thank you for telling mom she can bring son back tomorrow.....and for letting mom think that doctor rules override MY policies. I'll try to repay the favor by sending you all of my poor paying parents your way.
momatheart 08:59 AM 04-07-2011
OMG you have got to be kidding? Even the school policies say do not return to school until fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medicine.

You would think a dr would know this? I would ad to your policy that dr's stating your child can return to daycare DOES NOT over rule my policy.
Lilbutterflie 09:02 AM 04-07-2011
I once had a parent who tried to give me a doctor's note allowing the child into care even though it was against my policies. It was all blamed on teething. At that time, I added it to my contract that doctor's notes do NOT allow a child back into care if it goes against MY illness policies.

Seriously, sometimes I think doctors are willing to tell the parents whatever they want to hear if they can't find the cause of the child's symptoms. There are some great doctors out there, but there are some BAD doctors too!
Gurdy 09:06 AM 04-07-2011
Are you sure she even took the child to the dr? This may be just what she is telling you to get her child back in to your care tomorrow. Stick to your policies.
texascare 09:07 AM 04-07-2011
Remember this is YOUR buisness. YOU make the rules. You can also throw in "the state requires 24 hours" if they give you a problem. My state has just upped the fever to "oral tem. of 101".....I don't know where people get that you get fever w/o sleep. If that was the case I would have fever all the time!!! Just rmembr that this is your job and you make the rules not the parents. I just terminated one for thinking she could make the rules and tell me how things are done....
missnikki 09:10 AM 04-07-2011
As George Carlin the comedian once said, "Just think- somewhere out there is the WORST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD!"
Evansmom 09:21 AM 04-07-2011
Thank you for the info. I can't tell you how many times since I've started reading this forum that I've then opened my contract and changed something or added something!
nannyde 09:23 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Seriously, sometimes I think doctors are willing to tell the parents whatever they want to hear if they can't find the cause of the child's symptoms.
Yes

Saying the child can return is the cheapest thing for the Doc to do. If they say the kid can't return to daycare then they have to go into explaining it and conferencing about what parameters of symptoms will or won't allow the child back.

If they say they can go back it's quick and gets that patient out the door and a new patient in the door.

They also know that if they don't give the return to daycare notes the customer won't keep coming back.
MaryPoppins 09:31 AM 04-07-2011
My kids' doctor told me that a child is not considered contagious unless the temp is over 100.5 so send them back to school and I did. Why question the doctor if they are saying it's not contagious? They've had WAY more schooling and seen way more sick patients than the average daycare provider.
cillybean83 09:35 AM 04-07-2011
100.5 isn't really a fever, it's a bit elevated but it isn't cause for concern. You aren't even supposed to treat a fever until it's over 102. Sorry that the dr. conflicts with your personal policies though, but personally I would think that the dr's opinion would be the more accurate one, and wouldn't fight it too hard, but it's your daycare and your rules, if you are firm with your policy don't let that momma try to bully you!
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 04-07-2011
Going back to a school setting and going back to a daycare setting are two completely different things.....IMHO. Just because someone is well enough to go back to school doesn't mean they are okay to be in daycare. The close contact is on a completely different level in child care versus school. Plus by the time they hit school age their immune systems are alot stronger than when they are under 5.

Also just because a person is an MD doesn't mean they can set my policies or mean they are right. Being an MD gives them the right to practice medicine....for me it is the "practice" part that throws me off.... LOL!!!

Sort of like being a licensed daycare provider doesn't make you a good one.

Oh and last week I had a kid with strep throat.....no fever whatsoever but I don't buy that he wasn't contagious just because he had no fever.
cillybean83 09:38 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yes

Saying the child can return is the cheapest thing for the Doc to do. If they say the kid can't return to daycare then they have to go into explaining it and conferencing about what parameters of symptoms will or won't allow the child back.

If they say they can go back it's quick and gets that patient out the door and a new patient in the door.

They also know that if they don't give the return to daycare notes the customer won't keep coming back.
i've never, ever encountered a doctor like that, not when I was growing up, not with my kids, not with any daycare parents, not with my neices and nephews, and I've lived in 3 different states and seen gaggles of doctors...it's a bit unfair to assume a doctor would send a sick kid back to daycare just to get out of telling the parent why their kid is sick??
morgan24 09:43 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
OMG you have got to be kidding? Even the school policies say do not return to school until fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medicine.

You would think a dr would know this? I would ad to your policy that dr's stating your child can return to daycare DOES NOT over rule my policy.
This year our school policies were changed. They can stay in school with a temp of 101, they do not have to be fever free for 24 hours, if they have head lice as long as they have been treated the nits don't have to be all picked out. Now everyone thinks that is how daycare should be. Of course I set them straight that I still have polices that are mine and have to be followed.
Live and Learn 09:47 AM 04-07-2011
If your policy says that you exclude for 24 hours....then exclude.

If it says you exclude for 24 hours OR a doc's note then you need to change your policy.

I would not allow a child back until 24 hours passed with out meds. My policy is the same as the school district's policy....100* = fever.

The only family I have that isn't a teacher family is a doc family....their kids have NEVER come with a fever....EVER!....I guess they understand the importance of keeping the "germ sharing" down to a minimum.
PitterPatter 10:02 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Thank you for the info. I can't tell you how many times since I've started reading this forum that I've then opened my contract and changed something or added something!
DITTO! I completely agree! I love this forum and all the great advise!

I also like the fact that others ask questions I have not even thought of yet!
nannyde 10:05 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i've never, ever encountered a doctor like that, not when I was growing up, not with my kids, not with any daycare parents, not with my neices and nephews, and I've lived in 3 different states and seen gaggles of doctors...it's a bit unfair to assume a doctor would send a sick kid back to daycare just to get out of telling the parent why their kid is sick??
I consult with two centers who have a population of over 400 kids. Just TODAY I have had THREE Doctor's notes to contend with.

It's not unfair. It's on the ground... dealing with Dr's with a large population of kids and 17 years of doing home child care.

It's a very serious problem for child care providers. The OP's issue is VERY common.
cheerfuldom 10:11 AM 04-07-2011
yes daycare is different than school and the policies reflect that. Sometimes my babies are as young as 8-12 weeks old plus I am pregnant. I don't want questionable sickness around me or these babies (plus the other young kids in my group). A lot of these kids are not even old enough to be vaccinated or have any immunity built up for the serious illnesses that can travel through daycares.
MissAnn 10:23 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins:
My kids' doctor told me that a child is not considered contagious unless the temp is over 100.5 so send them back to school and I did. Why question the doctor if they are saying it's not contagious? They've had WAY more schooling and seen way more sick patients than the average daycare provider.
Sorry, can't agree with you here. A temp of 100.5 in the morning (when he got dropped off, I took it) is more than likely going to be higher later on. This boy is very active and talkative early in the morning....every day....without exception. This morning, he layed on the couch and didn't joing the other kids. This boy is sick and I know that much better than the doctor because I know THIS boy better than he does. Also, I have 2 other boys out with fifths disease. So......I don't always agree with the docs.
Tags:fever, sick kid, sick policy
Reply Up