Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How HOT is TOO Hot?
SandeeAR 08:22 AM 06-07-2011
I have all littles, 18 mo, 14 mo and 10 mo. I'm just concerned about taking them out when it is TOO hot. How hot do you feel is TOO hot for the little ones? At what temp do you say, we are staying in today?

They say the worst time is 11-3. With our schedule, that is hard.

We nap from 9-10/10:30, lunch at 12 and nap again at 1-3/4.
momma2girls 08:25 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I have all littles, 18 mo, 14 mo and 10 mo. I'm just concerned about taking them out when it is TOO hot. How hot do you feel is TOO hot for the little ones? At what temp do you say, we are staying in today?

They say the worst time is 11-3. With our schedule, that is hard.

We nap from 9-10/10:30, lunch at 12 and nap again at 1-3/4.
In Iowa our heat index is supposed to be over 100 degrees today. If it is 90 or above, we do our outdoor things between 8:30 an 10:00 with the exception of water table, sprinkler, or pool days, then it is from 10:00-11:00 only.
jojosmommy 08:34 AM 06-07-2011
It was 97 here yesterday. We went out for a 30 min walk from 8:30-9 when it was still cooler. Today it is going to be 100 degrees before the heat index. We were already out for 1 hour from 9-10 in the sprinkler, pool, and water tables. All the kids have water bottles and I ENFORCE at least one water BREAK so they get a little to drink whether they want it or not. We have another drink when we go inside again. Then we go in and hide in the basement where it is extra cool.

None of my kids complained today while we were out however I would not go out any later on a day like today as it is going to be too hot for everyone. I think it was 83 when we went out and 88 by the time we came in 1 hour later.

These little ones just don't know how to tell you they are "too hot".
nannyde 08:38 AM 06-07-2011
I use this:

https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
SandeeAR 08:53 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I use this:

https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Thanks for that link Nanny. I had never run across that on here.

That chart helped with my guilt of keeping my littles inside. They still sleep in the cooler morning times. Since our lowest temp this week will be 96 degrees, that puts us in the red danger zone all week.

I was just feeling quilty for not taking them out. But they only have 30 minutes between breakfast time and nap time. It takes us 15 minutes to get everyone in shoes and out the door and then 15 minutes coming in, to remove shoes, wash off the dirt and sand and change diapers.

That leaves about 10 minutes outside. It just isn't worth it LOL.
SandeeAR 08:54 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
In Iowa our heat index is supposed to be over 100 degrees today. If it is 90 or above, we do our outdoor things between 8:30 an 10:00 with the exception of water table, sprinkler, or pool days, then it is from 10:00-11:00 only.

See, when you were outside, mine were all asleep.
SandeeAR 08:56 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
It was 97 here yesterday. We went out for a 30 min walk from 8:30-9 when it was still cooler. Today it is going to be 100 degrees before the heat index. We were already out for 1 hour from 9-10 in the sprinkler, pool, and water tables. All the kids have water bottles and I ENFORCE at least one water BREAK so they get a little to drink whether they want it or not. We have another drink when we go inside again. Then we go in and hide in the basement where it is extra cool.

None of my kids complained today while we were out however I would not go out any later on a day like today as it is going to be too hot for everyone. I think it was 83 when we went out and 88 by the time we came in 1 hour later.

These little ones just don't know how to tell you they are "too hot".

We are having those heat index readings too! That is why I was soooo worried with the little ones, they can't even talk yet!
youretooloud 09:13 AM 06-07-2011
For us, it's somewhere over 100 degrees.

But, for someone with humidity, I think that it would be a lot more uncomfortable at 80 degrees than our 100 degrees is. (or so I've heard)
cillybean83 09:20 AM 06-07-2011
if it's over 90 degrees, we stay in
Sunshine44 09:22 AM 06-07-2011
I wouldn't worry about it. At their ages, if they are sleeping, they are sleeping. Don't feel guilty. One day they will drop their morning nap and then they can play happily outside.
nannyde 09:56 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Thanks for that link Nanny. I had never run across that on here.

That chart helped with my guilt of keeping my littles inside. They still sleep in the cooler morning times. Since our lowest temp this week will be 96 degrees, that puts us in the red danger zone all week.

I was just feeling quilty for not taking them out. But they only have 30 minutes between breakfast time and nap time. It takes us 15 minutes to get everyone in shoes and out the door and then 15 minutes coming in, to remove shoes, wash off the dirt and sand and change diapers.

That leaves about 10 minutes outside. It just isn't worth it LOL.
Oh gosh

Don't worry about it at all. If it's that hot their parents will make sure they get them out in the morning before day care and in the evening when it is cooler.

The kids will still get to go outside. Not to worry.
MG&Lsmom 10:20 AM 06-07-2011
With those ages I probably wouldn't make do big a deal about getting outside in the heat. I will have the kids play outside at 7:30 or 8am, I'll even do drop off outside some days, so they can get some time outside. Could you do that? We picnic breakfast on those days. Then head in for some quiet time in the a/c. Lots of water and fluids on those days.
SandeeAR 10:22 AM 06-07-2011
Oh gosh

Don't worry about it at all. If it's that hot their parents will make sure they get them out in the morning before day care and in the evening when it is cooler.

The kids will still get to go outside. Not to worry.

ROFL, I think you were being scarastic here. But I'm lucky, all three of my parents DO try and go outside in the evenings, several times a week with their kids. I'm VERY lucky with the kids and parents I have. Overall they are good parents and love their kiddos and want to spend time with them.

I LOVE my babies. Part of me is looking forward to being able to go out and play, do craft projects, etc. But part of me will miss having all babies and littles. But I do have a baby coming! Will be born end of July and Mom is staying home 12 weeks!
SandeeAR 10:25 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
For us, it's somewhere over 100 degrees.

But, for someone with humidity, I think that it would be a lot more uncomfortable at 80 degrees than our 100 degrees is. (or so I've heard)
Yeah, when we hit the mid 90's, heat index can be 100 to 105, easily. Right now our humidity leel is 55%.

I remember going to visit family in Arizona, when I was about 10. I remember being amazed that I didn't have to put a napkin under my glass, that the glass didn't sweat!
JenNJ 10:44 AM 06-07-2011
I also use the heat index chart here. But my rule of thumb is better safe than sorry when it comes to heat. When the weather is above or near 90, we usually go out at 8:30am when everyone arrives and are back inside by 9:30am. I take NO chances with heat exhaustion or dehydration. Kids can sometimes not show symptoms of either so I am cautious.

I take my own kids out at 8pm if I have to. Its not unusual for me to bathe them and then have us running in the yard catching lightning bugs when it is dark out.
Live and Learn 01:14 PM 06-07-2011
So jealous of you guys and your sunny weather.

1:00pm.....Cloudy again, 64 degrees
Country Kids 02:08 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
So jealous of you guys and your sunny weather.

1:00pm.....Cloudy again, 64 degrees
We must live in the same area because that is our weather today. The two days that we had nice this whole spring I was sick in bed. It was such a sad time for me.
Live and Learn 02:14 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
We must live in the same area because that is our weather today. The two days that we had nice this whole spring I was sick in bed. It was such a sad time for me.
I noticed where you live.

I live west of you near "the biggest city" in our state.
KEG123 05:30 PM 06-07-2011
Thanks for the chart nannyde. I took my two out today, but we were in the pool and made sure to bring out our water/juice to make sure we kept hydrated. We were out from roughly 9am-10:45. Reapplied sunscreen once.
nannyde 05:41 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Thanks for the chart nannyde. I took my two out today, but we were in the pool and made sure to bring out our water/juice to make sure we kept hydrated. We were out from roughly 9am-10:45. Reapplied sunscreen once.
I love that chart. It really helped me figure out where the lines were for both extremes of hot and cold. We are in the middle of a terrible heat wave here and even at the earliest part of the day when all the kids were here it was too hot to even consider taking the kids out.

I can work around the cold weather with a ton of winter gear but I can't deal with the crazy hot we are having now. I hate hot weather
Michael 12:17 AM 06-08-2011
Love hot weather. Send it over to me...
SandeeAR 06:57 AM 06-08-2011
I love that chart. It really helped me figure out where the lines were for both extremes of hot and cold. We are in the middle of a terrible heat wave here and even at the earliest part of the day when all the kids were here it was too hot to even consider taking the kids out.

I can work around the cold weather with a ton of winter gear but I can't deal with the crazy hot we are having now. I hate hot weather
Arkansas is in the same heat wave. I decided to check it this morning early just to see where we would fall (kids weren't even here yet). We were already at the last yellow box! This chart is wonderful!
Tags:hot weather, outside play, weather
Reply Up