Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curious About How To Handle This Situation...
cillybean83 09:39 PM 07-04-2011
In my contract I give my parents one week of unpaid vacation...well here's the issue I'm having, I had a parent text message me at 10 pm when she is supposed to be dropping off in 8 hrs , stating that she won't be here all week, she's using her vacation. The only reason I even saw this message is because I got up to pee!! Obviously I had/have every intention of honoring her right to her vacation week but I feel like something needs to be said about her last minute plans and how they affect me and the group, as she's my earliest arrival. What would you do??
MarinaVanessa 10:42 PM 07-04-2011
I have added to my vacation policies that all clients need to give me notice in writing with a minimum of two weeks advance notice, this way they can't just drop a bomb on me.

If you don't already have a policy like this then unfortunately theres not much you can do but honor it. If you really don't want to honor it you can always just try to talk to her? Otherwise, yup ... you're stuck.
countrymom 03:43 AM 07-05-2011
this is why I don't do texting.
Meyou 04:48 AM 07-05-2011
I would never accept a texted notice and certainly not with 8 hours notice. That's ridiculous. What does your PH say regarding termination??
SunflowerMama 05:12 AM 07-05-2011
I give all my full time families 10 days vacation but like some pp said I require 2 weeks notice for any vacation days used.
Meeko 05:17 AM 07-05-2011
I have to have notice in writing if they want to use their vacation time and I must have at least a week's notice.
JenNJ 05:23 AM 07-05-2011
I require two weeks notice either emailed or handwritten. No exceptions. In your shoes, I would call DC mom and say, "X will be missed this week. Unfortunately cannot use your unpaid vacation. Per our contract I require two weeks advance written notice. The two weeks notice allows me time to adjust and plan for an extended absence. With such short notice, I have already put in hours of prep time and purchased supplies and food for X. Full payment is due at or before your regularly scheduled payment date."
cillybean83 06:31 AM 07-05-2011
I talked to her and she said "well I didn't see in the handbook that you needed notice so I thought it was fine" so, whatever..I updated it and going forward everyone will remain within all the handbook rules at all times, no more picking and choosing things as they suit peoples personal needs. Her drop off time is 6:15, and she usually gets here around 6:05... Enjoy your 10 minutes of porch time! Lol
SilverSabre25 06:36 AM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I talked to her and she said "well I didn't see in the handbook that you needed notice so I thought it was fine" so, whatever..I updated it and going forward everyone will remain within all the handbook rules at all times, no more picking and choosing things as they suit peoples personal needs. Her drop off time is 6:15, and she usually gets here around 6:05... Enjoy your 10 minutes of porch time! Lol
The upside is that she actually looked at the handbook! Gotta find a silver lining, right?
Angelwings36 06:43 AM 07-05-2011
Do you have in your contract that parents have to give 'blank' amount of notice when taking there holidays? I also offer unpaid holidays but have ran into problems with them before as well. This is what I have under contract for holidays.

One week of holiday credit for each full time family is offered per year. Please notify the childcare provider in writing within six weeks prior to your scheduled days off. You will not be charged for your credited holidays if a six-week advance written notice is given. Our daycare calendar year is from January through December. Holidays may be taken as individual days (5 days) or as one full week. Any holidays extending past one week will not be subject to adjustment and you will be required to pay the full daily rate whether your child attends during that period or not.

Please note that holiday credits cannot be used over the same month that the childcare providers are taking their holidays in the summer or at Christmas. Also we only allow for two families to go on holidays at the same time in any given month so please be sure to book your holiday credits as far in advance as possible.

Part time families will not be offered any holiday credits.

This seems to be working out good for me. I honestly think, though, that it was very rude for the mother to not give you any notice at all. I would hand her a new contract with updated holiday policies that work for you when she comes next and just tell her that the short notice left you in a bad spot and you have updated your policies about holidays to prevent any future communication issues.
Crazy8 06:49 AM 07-05-2011
I actually require 30 days notice in writing if someone is using their full weeks vacation (and nope, texting doesn't count as "in writing" to me).

I have changed my policies many times due to things that come up. For instance I used to give "1 week vacation" till the family that comes 3 days a week decided they get 5 days because that is 1 week. I ended up changing it to a set # of days and if they want to use them individually they don't need to give me notice but if they are using them all together I require 30 days notice (and I always give at least that much notice for my vacation time).
Cat Herder 09:38 AM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
Now you see why my policies include bullets, a FAQ section and I do not make any exceptions that are not medically mandated??

I can't.

I did not start out to run a militant daycare...it is just the only way to have peace, order and be able to focus your attention on the kids instead of the parents....
cheerfuldom 10:41 AM 07-05-2011
I know. I hate how long and detailed my contract is. It makes me like very militant as well but unfortunately, that is what past parents have driven me too.
hall8385 11:04 AM 07-05-2011
i need help i have he oppitunity to get 2 full time babies but i will have a 7 month window of 3 kids under 2 till my daughter turns 2.I just recently became licensed but have been doing child care for 11 years i am thinking of taking the chance because the babies are people i know and i cant see sending there kids not to me.. what would some of you do would you pray the state dont come between the 7 months ?? does any one know what the penalty is if you do get cought with m,ore then 2 under 2.. thank for the help
Cat Herder 11:27 AM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by hall8385:
i need help i have he oppitunity to get 2 full time babies but i will have a 7 month window of 3 kids under 2 till my daughter turns 2.I just recently became licensed but have been doing child care for 11 years i am thinking of taking the chance because the babies are people i know and i cant see sending there kids not to me.. what would some of you do would you pray the state dont come between the 7 months ?? does any one know what the penalty is if you do get cought with m,ore then 2 under 2.. thank for the help
They can revoke your license. Not worth the risk, IMHO.

7 months is a very long time.

7 hours in a family emergency, maybe...

Sorry.
boysx5 12:00 PM 07-05-2011
live and learn
boysx5 12:02 PM 07-05-2011
and mom had every thing I needed but no check hoping she just forgot and will bring it at pick up or I will asked. She is a first time mom and was upset when dropping off but not a good way to start. The baby has been really good so at least that is good
Tags:unpaid days
Reply Up