Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It Is My Hope...
Unregistered 06:08 AM 03-11-2011
I work for a Resource and Referral Agency and I provide technical assistance to child care providers as well as statewide trainings on child development and college courses in early childhood education.
This board frightens me. I read a great deal of developmentally inappropriate advice that speaks to the interests of the provider above the child and the parent. It's my hope that those that feel so negatively about parents and children that they should post on a public forum in this manner either reevaluate their role as a provider or seek out some training to help them better understand how to serve families.
You can find trainings through your local R&R.
I n the mean time I will be using this forum as an example to providers of unprofessional behavior.
Crystal 11:21 AM 03-11-2011
Thank you for that. I agree.

Please, do register. I'd love to hear more from you. And, just out of curiosity, what State are you located in?
Crystal 11:26 AM 03-11-2011
I'd like to add that there are also MANY providers here who are professional, caring, loving, nurturing and partake in DAP, so please know that this forum is valuable for many, you just have to know which advice to heed and that which you shouldn't.
daycare 11:32 AM 03-11-2011
thanks for letting us know! I am going to have an even better Friday now and sleep better at night..................aaaahhhhhhh
nikia 11:39 AM 03-11-2011
Since you are part of the R&R, then you should know the stresses that come with this job and the amount of turnover that happens. Maybe you can suggest how to deal with parents that do not respect us has human beings, but as their personal servants? Parents that do not want to pay for the love and nurture their children do get? I am not saying that there are some on here who I feel should not be in this business, maybe people look at me like that I dont know and honestly no one knows me or my program or the rave reviews from people that are in my care. But I do know that I love these children and no matter how their parents treat me I never treat the children different. I am not trying to be rude and I am really curious. What specifically is unprofessional in posting on a forum to get advice? What advice in wrong?? It would be better to give specifics so that people can learn instead of just judging who and what you think some are.

This is a hard job, a thankless job especially depending on the state, town you are located in. Does it not make someone better to come to a place to talk to people who may have common problems? Does it not help us to hear all responses whether we agree or not, even in that we can say well I dont want to be that type of provider?? Or yes I think that will work in my situation??
jen 11:43 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I work for a Resource and Referral Agency and I provide technical assistance to child care providers as well as statewide trainings on child development and college courses in early childhood education.
This board frightens me. I read a great deal of developmentally inappropriate advice that speaks to the interests of the provider above the child and the parent. It's my hope that those that feel so negatively about parents and children that they should post on a public forum in this manner either reevaluate their role as a provider or seek out some training to help them better understand how to serve families.
I n the mean time I will be using this forum as an example to providers of unprofessional behavior.
Which resource and referral agency do you work for?

What would be really helpful, beyond using the information you see here as training material, would be for you to register and provide your opinion on a case by case basis.

Childcare Resource and Referral is meant to assist providers and parents. I would welcome your assistance on the board. Please, register and joing us!
kendallina 11:46 AM 03-11-2011
I agree with Crystal and hope that you register and contribute as well. There are many of us that practice developmentally appropriate practices and that are very professional, however I think some of those providers are scared away after reading some of what happens on this forum.

Also, if you chose to use 'this forum' as an example of unprofessional behavior, I hope that you qualify that to say that there are some providers that are unprofessional, however there are also many who take their profession very seriously, who value and love children and who actually enjoy working with parents (perhaps a shocker to some, I know).
Unregistered 11:47 AM 03-11-2011
It's a place to vent and talk and hash things out. Everyone does that to some degree. Have you ever run an inhome daycare?
Crystal 11:48 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
Since you are part of the R&R, then you should know the stresses that come with this job and the amount of turnover that happens. Maybe you can suggest how to deal with parents that do not respect us has human beings, but as their personal servants? Parents that do not want to pay for the love and nurture their children do get? I am not saying that there are some on here who I feel should not be in this business, maybe people look at me like that I dont know and honestly no one knows me or my program or the rave reviews from people that are in my care. But I do know that I love these children and no matter how their parents treat me I never treat the children different. I am not trying to be rude and I am really curious. What specifically is unprofessional in posting on a forum to get advice? What advice in wrong?? It would be better to give specifics so that people can learn instead of just judging who and what you think some are.

This is a hard job, a thankless job especially depending on the state, town you are located in. Does it not make someone better to come to a place to talk to people who may have common problems? Does it not help us to hear all responses whether we agree or not, even in that we can say well I dont want to be that type of provider?? Or yes I think that will work in my situation??
I think she is really referring to those who come here, day after day, and complain and whine about all of their families and their children. You can tell which providers are on burnout or simply do this job for a paycheck.

You are a great provider, and I have been reading that you may not be doing it much longer....which I think is a huge loss to the Child Care community
kendallina 11:49 AM 03-11-2011

I think that it can make some better by coming here and trying to get advice and grow, however, there is often SO MUCH negativity (especially in regard to parents) on this board that it's easy to get caught up in.
Cat Herder 11:56 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Which resource and referral agency do you work for?

What would be really helpful, beyond using the information you see here as training material, would be for you to register and provide your opinion on a case by case basis.

Childcare Resource and Referral is meant to assist providers and parents. I would welcome your assistance on the board. Please, register and joing us!
I would love it as well!!!

I stay in a constant state of confusion and awe at the rate of changes in the expectations of Home Child Care Providers in the last 15 years....

It would be AWESOME to have someone in the know to ask that has the time to actually answer.....

I do have to ask, Can you please give examples???

What exactly frightens you??
nikia 11:57 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I think she is really referring to those who come here, day after day, and complain and whine about all of their families and their children. You can tell which providers are on burnout or simply do this job for a paycheck.

You are a great provider, and I have been reading that you may not be doing it much longer....which I think is a huge loss to the Child Care community
Thank you for the compliment . I am closing in 3 weeks to go back working outside the home. Who knows I may decide daycare is much better and come back to it.

I would like to know what they would suggest in dealing with some of the parents though. My main problems in daycare have been parents. Kids some days go out of control and make me crazy but their kids and I expect that. Lol. My own do that to me too.
Crystal 12:03 PM 03-11-2011
Thank you for the compliment . I am closing in 3 weeks to go back working outside the home. Who knows I may decide daycare is much better and come back to it.

I would like to know what they would suggest in dealing with some of the parents though. My main problems in daycare have been parents. Kids some days go out of control and make me crazy but their kids and I expect that. Lol. My own do that to me too.
Sorry to hear your leaving the field, but I hope you find happiness in your work!

I am fortunate in that I do not have parents who take advantage or disrespect me. But, my suggestion for providers who do have "problem parents" is to document issues as they arise, give verbal warnings at the same time. After three instances of the same issue, written warning, then if it continues terminate.

One thing I think is important to remember when working with families, is that they too, just like us, have stressful lives and personal issues and we need to be empathetic of that. I know it's not always easy to do, but it really does go a long way in establishing close relationships with families, who in turn, will appreciate and value their provider much more.
nikia 12:04 PM 03-11-2011

Crystal 12:05 PM 03-11-2011
okay, how'd that happen? lol!
Cat Herder 12:08 PM 03-11-2011
Will you come back, OP??
nannyde 12:09 PM 03-11-2011

Could you be a little more specific?
ninosqueridos 12:12 PM 03-11-2011
Oh this was really helpful, thank you.

It is MY hope that you post this in the vent thread next time.
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 03-11-2011
I found this site through my Resource and Referral coordinator......
Crystal 12:13 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Could you be a little more specific?
Ahhh, she's not talking about you nan

But yes, being more specific would be nice
Crystal 12:14 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I found this site through my Resource and Referral coordinator......
Did you really? LOL!
jen 12:15 PM 03-11-2011
Ahhh, she's not talking about you nan

But yes, being more specific would be nice
Oh, who is she talking about?
JenNJ 12:16 PM 03-11-2011
There are good providers and bad providers, on this forum and in real life. Just like there are bad parents and good parents. Certain parenting styles mesh with certain providers.

I think the thing to remember is that kids are people. Not every two people are going to get along perfectly. Even when that relationship is between an adult and a child. Sometimes it can lead to frustration and venting at the end of a long work day. It happens in every profession. I would rather people vent here than take those frustrations out on the children.

I would also like examples of the unprofessional behavior.
Cat Herder 12:18 PM 03-11-2011
I admit I am a smart***

but my intent is good....
Crystal 12:18 PM 03-11-2011
Oh, who is she talking about?
I have no idea....I just don't think she's talking about Nan.....while Nan and I have our disagreements I think she's a great provider....we just run our businesses differently.
thecrazyisout 12:19 PM 03-11-2011
Wow!!! I have seen many wonderful and postive forums and questions answered in this group since I have begun reading. I have now registered and I am thankful to have an identity;to have someone come in and make a generalization that the forums are negative frightens me in that context because I have learned already many ways to change my practice because I want to be the best provider I can be.

There are many providers here that have been doing this much longer than I and can give me help and guidance. I personally have felt I am unconnected to the daycare community and this has given me the connection I need.

In addition, if you are so concerned, I would challenge you to use this opportunity to add positive and constructive criticism which encourages all who participate to conduct themselves in the same way. The internet can be such a wonderful tool for providers especially when you don't have a lot of adult connections during the day.
Crystal 12:19 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I admit I am a smart***

but my intent is good....
lol!
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 03-11-2011
Did you really? LOL!
Yes, I seriously did....the gal who gathers provider info for our area so that parents can be referred to us told me about this site because she said it has lots of good support, advice and information on it.

I think that most people would read this forum knowing full well that there are two sides to every situation and that providers and parents both need a place to vent, share and learn from each other.

As far as there being "bad" provider's on this forum, I think if someone is going to make that acusation, then they should come on here and register so that they can try to change that. Give advice, support providers and refer them as necessary so that we can all learn how to be a good provider.

It is all too easy to say something unsupportive or criticize others behind the "unregistered guest" protection.

My advice? OP should become part of the solution NOT part of the problem.
Crystal 12:27 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, I seriously did....the gal who gathers provider info for our area so that parents can be referred to us told me about this site because she said it has lots of good support, advice and information on it.

I think that most people would read this forum knowing full well that there are two sides to every situation and that providers and parents both need a place to vent, share and learn from each other.

As far as there being "bad" provider's on this forum, I think if someone is going to make that acusation, then they should come on here and register so that they can try to change that. Give advice, support providers and refer them as necessary so that we can all learn how to be a good provider.

It is all too easy to say something unsupportive or criticize others behind the "unregistere guest" protection.

My advice? OP should become part of the solution NOT part of the problem.
I agree.
Kaddidle Care 12:35 PM 03-11-2011
Do I have to pull out my TROLL picture again?
nikia 12:37 PM 03-11-2011
I don't know how I double posted I type on my phone and it can go crazy
SimpleMom 12:37 PM 03-11-2011
Not to sound against everyone, but I can see where the original comment comes from. Sometimes I've read on this board about bashing kids and parents. There's a difference between bashing and venting. Not to say that everyone can have "one of those days", and make a mistake or whatnot. I've been on this board for years and there have been times I've just stopped coming on cuz it was so negative and I really needed more support and a stress release, some advice, some laughs, or just someone to talk to who also does childcare. Lately, it's been a lot better, so I'm back. I have to say it's been much more uplifting as of late and that's a good thing
I don't think the poster meant to insult the whole lot. Just as we can sometimes misinterpret what someone writes out the main thing it comes off as blunt, to the point, and rather general in the accusations.

TO REITERATE...I do love coming to this board at this time and there's a lot of great providers on here!! I just tend to see both sides of issues that's all. I mean NO harm in my response.
nannyde 12:41 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
Not to sound against everyone, but I can see where the original comment comes from. Sometimes I've read on this board about bashing kids and parents. There's a difference between bashing and venting. Not to say that everyone can have "one of those days", and make a mistake or whatnot. I've been on this board for years and there have been times I've just stopped coming on cuz it was so negative and I really needed more support and a stress release, some advice, some laughs, or just someone to talk to who also does childcare. Lately, it's been a lot better, so I'm back. I have to say it's been much more uplifting as of late and that's a good thing
I don't think the poster meant to insult the whole lot. Just as we can sometimes misinterpret what someone writes out the main thing it comes off as blunt, to the point, and rather general in the accusations.

TO REITERATE...I do love coming to this board at this time and there's a lot of great providers on here!! I just tend to see both sides of issues that's all. I mean NO harm in my response.
To me posts like this are:

Hi Guys
You Suck

Sincerely,

From one who doesn't suck.
Cat Herder 12:44 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
To me posts like this are:

Hi Guys
You Suck

Sincerely,

From one who doesn't suck.
I can post my Sneetches video again.....

It would be so cool to learn from someone on the regulating side, though.

How cool and informative would that be???
youretooloud 12:45 PM 03-11-2011
I think this person is probably a troll. If he or she had any real concerns he or she would register, use a proper name and address any problems.

Venting is just that... it's venting. Teachers vent in the break room about students, parents or administration. Coworkers vent to or about each other, and we even call our friends to vent about our spouse.

I don't have much respect or concern about this poster's feelings. It's either not real, or someone who's never worked in this field.
Meeko 12:47 PM 03-11-2011
I agree.
I agree too. I am new here although I am a veteran day care provider. I have picked up several wonderful hints to improve my day care business and have been able to vent on the things that frustrate me.

Is this R&R lady suggesting we all just shut up and only refer to R&R for support?

I LOVE my local R&R, but there is something so comforting about being able to talk with others here who are often in exactly the same place as me. I like knowing I am not alone in my frustrations! I have done day care for 20+ years now and I honestly ADORE my job. Doesn't mean I don't get cranky sometimes!
daycare 12:52 PM 03-11-2011
Lmao I can't stop laughing. I have no kids today and I'm at the gym and when I read that I laughed out loud and everyone looked at me boy my face is red lmao
Thanks for the laugh
youretooloud 12:59 PM 03-11-2011
OH NOT THAT!!!!
Kaddidle Care 12:59 PM 03-11-2011
Yaya and those who can't do - Teach. Oh and I'm the Queen of England BTW.

morgan24 03:31 PM 03-11-2011
Wow!! I think it's unfair to come to a board and make such strong statements and do it unregistered. I really think that unregistered is trying to cause trouble. Maybe she needs a good debate to use at her class???

I enjoy the good debates, difference of opionions and all the advice given on here & I just found out the Queen of England comes here. This is a happening place.
Michelle 04:36 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Wow!! I think it's unfair to come to a board and make such strong statements and do it unregistered. I really think that unregistered is trying to cause trouble. Maybe she needs a good debate to use at her class???

I enjoy the good debates, difference of opionions and all the advice given on here & I just found out the Queen of England comes here. This is a happening place.

Unregistered 05:03 PM 03-11-2011
Registered user here, protecting myself from the troll.

If you will notice folks, most of these type post happen on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Most trolls think that the admins are not on the boards on those days.
kendallina 05:23 PM 03-11-2011
Are there really people that have nothing better to do with their time then to go around forums and write a bunch of false stuff in hopes of starting some crap? They don't need to write anything on this forum, we're pretty good at starting up our own crap, aren't we??

But, seriously, do people think this unregistered user is not who she says she is and is not truly concerned about what she see here??
Michelle 05:38 PM 03-11-2011
Oh, I know she or he is full of it!!!!
People who work in r and r are real big on throwing their titles around and are not afraid to state their name or at least from what area they are from.
I think it's an unsuccessful provider with no friends or support group and can't stand other people being successful or not a provider at all and just likes to mess with people.
youretooloud 06:15 PM 03-11-2011
I don't feel bad at all about complaining about certain problems in this job.

Most jobs have coworkers. My coworkers have a 7:00 p.m bedtime, and start each morning off with "Guess which panties I have on today!!!!"
blueclouds29 06:43 PM 03-11-2011
My coworkers are under the age of 2 and i word alone! No breaks cause infants don't have a 1 to 3 nap. Lunch is sometimes a sandwich thrown together in a hurry before another bottle is made.
Thankfully i do have parents that tell me how much they appreciate me and that i'm doing a great job.
It is a stressful job specially when you work 9 hours alone with job infants. Makes for a long hard day.
Childminder 07:15 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by :
i have no idea why it posted twice
Some how it corrected you spelling mistake.
SilverSabre25 07:38 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I don't feel bad at all about complaining about certain problems in this job.

Most jobs have coworkers. My coworkers have a 7:00 p.m bedtime, and start each morning off with "Guess which panties I have on today!!!!"
roflmao!!!

as for the OP...I agree with the people who say that you need to register and share exact concerns. It'd be more helpful.

I also kind of agree that it's more likely a troll, as someone "official" who really, truly was concerned, probably would have registered in the first place.

If you can't see through the venting and whining to the great group of friends who provide support, laughter, and words of wisdom to each other, making an isolated job see a little less isolated, making a stressful job a little less stressful, and making a lonely job a little less lonely, then you probably haven't ever actually worked in the field--and I don't mean in a daycare center either. Most of us are home daycare providers, spending 10+hours a day in the company of people who depend on us for everything...and many of whom can barely speak in full, coherent sentences (and even if they can...no one who spends more than 20 minutes in the company of a child under the age of about 7 can tell me that they're always coherent. Even when they're speaking perfect English it doesn't always make much sense!!)

Stick around; register; share your wisdom and advice from the "other side"...and see that even though we may whine, moan, complain, bitch, vent, and generally be um, female, (), we're a group of mostly great providers who are only trying to do what's best by our daycare kids, daycare families, and ourselves--a balance that is VERY hard to achieve.

We're also human. Give us a break.
Michael 12:40 AM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:

I remember those days and agree with you. I am more involved now then I was then. We removed a couple of members at that time and this forum is the better for it.
Unregistered 03:27 AM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Yaya and those who can't do - Teach. Oh and I'm the Queen of England BTW.
I'm so sorry you work with children.
I can't imagine how sarcastic and judgemental you must be around children or reagrding parents when they aren't aorund right in front of the kids.
You give providers a bad name.
I have worked as a teacher for years and now I work with providers because I earned an advanced degree and wanted to provide help to providers. I provide home support to them which means going in at naptime and assisting them in solving problems. My job is to mediate between the state and providers and provide them with support.
I can't speak for the r&r agency that referred one of your members. I certainly wouldn't do that.
When parents are disrespectful you have a right to terminate their contracts. You provide the care. It is a choice. If you feel you can't 'fill' a vacant spot and have to tolerate rude parents then mabe you need to reevaluate the quality of care. If you are of quality you should have a reputation that keeps you full, even in rural areas (I serve a rural county and urban county).
No sense in registering. I don't care to participate in negative discussions about parents and children or provide you with a naptime vent. I am so glad I meet so many providers more positive than yourselves who recognize that parents and children are their customers.
No one will ever take child care providers seriously as long as some continue to be so unprofessional.
For those of you who care, the book "Finding Your Smile Again" is a great one on burnout.
Kaddidle Care 04:40 AM 03-12-2011
Thank you very much. My life is over. I am a terrible person.

Coming on to a message board and starting an inflammatory thread isn't the best way to start off making friends.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. You may choose to read it or not. Life is full of choices.

I wonder if this person even has any children of her own. It's not all textbooks honey.
DBug 04:43 AM 03-12-2011
I can't imagine how sarcastic and judgemental you must be around children or reagrding parents when they aren't aorund right in front of the kids.
I have worked as a teacher for years and now I work with providers because I earned an advanced degree and wanted to provide help to providers. I provide home support to them which means going in at naptime and assisting them in solving problems. My job is to mediate between the state and providers and provide them with support.
I can't speak for the r&r agency that referred one of your members. I certainly wouldn't do that.
When parents are disrespectful you have a right to terminate their contracts. You provide the care. It is a choice. If you feel you can't 'fill' a vacant spot and have to tolerate rude parents then mabe you need to reevaluate the quality of care. If you are of quality you should have a reputation that keeps you full, even in rural areas (I serve a rural county and urban county).
No sense in registering. I don't care to participate in negative discussions about parents and children or provide you with a naptime vent. I am so glad I meet so many providers more positive than yourselves who recognize that parents and children are their customers.
No one will ever take child care providers seriously as long as some continue to be so unprofessional.
For those of you who care, the book "Finding Your Smile Again" is a great one on burnout.
This makes me sad .

The one thing I have noticed about this forum is that if one of us IS being unprofessional or disrespectful in how we treat parents or children, someone else is usually pretty quick to point it out in a (usually) respectful way. I think that's what's so great about it. I'm in Canada and unlicensed, so I don't have a licensor to go to with questions or concerns. Coming here has given me a different perspective on many things (bathing with children comes to mind ), and I value this forum as much as anyone else might value their R&R people.

However, I agree with the others -- I would enjoy hearing the opinions of someone in the business, who has seen how many different providers run their business, and who has offered advice on many different situations to those providers. I think any extra POV's are great!
morgan24 05:05 AM 03-12-2011
I think that you need to understand your first post was almost attacking. If you read something you found offensive why don't you address that issue instead of making a negative comment about everyone. You did not say where your from or what r & r you represent. It's like if I need to address and issue with a parent, sending out a note to all of them, when only one of them needs it. I would not do that I would discuss it only with the parent that I was having the problem. That is what you did you found something that you found to be negative and lumped everyone together instead of addressing whatever it was that you had a issue with.

I don't agree that parents are our customers and I'm not their employee. I prefer to work together with them to resolve any issues we may have come up.

I personally find your opinions of people who you are suppose to help, very offensive. I would never take a class from someone who has an "advanced degree" but has such a low opinion of providers. I feel bad for the group of providers that you work with, convincing them that their parents and children are their customers.

Thanks for the advice on the book "Finding Your Smile Again" but it's not needed because I never misplaced it, because I come here and get support or they let me vent my anger without judging, from my great provider friends.
treehugger82 05:07 AM 03-12-2011
At first I was mildly irritated by your posts, but I normally try to not let people like you get under my skin. Not worth my time. If you have a valid point, great, I'd love to hear anyone's POV, no thin skin here, but pointing fingers and flinging criticism from your lofty pedistal....Nah....now I just feel sorry for the providers you supposedly work with. COME ON DOWN to earth with the rest of us!
daysofelijah 05:56 AM 03-12-2011
"Advanced degree" bwahahahah! How lucky those lowly providers are to have access to your vast experience! Hysterical!
cillybean83 05:58 AM 03-12-2011
this person is just trying to get a rise out of everyone. They are giving vague, generalized info about themselves because they're faking. You have an advanced degree, ok in what? I'll sit here patiently while you "google" an appropriate response to make yourself sound legit....

This is either a disgruntled parent, someone who was or is part of this community and for whatever reason, had issues with a lot of people here and wants to cowardly tell people off without being identified, or just some stupid 40 year old punk living in their mommies basement with nothing better to do with their time then start chit on web forums.

Everyone complains about their job, get over yourself...it isn't called "work" or a "job" because it's all rainbows and fluffly kittens all the time. Little kids can, and will suck the life out of you, and you get tired, and you get drained, and you need to have someone to talk to about it. Every profession is like that, patients suck the life out of doctors, clients suck the life out of lawyers, and so on...it's just the way the world works, the only difference is other people have co-workers who they can go have a drink with off the clock, or golf with on the weekends, or whatever...we don't have that, we have this, and if anyone doesn't like this....no one is making you come here and read it.
Zoe 06:24 AM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
this person is just trying to get a rise out of everyone. They are giving vague, generalized info about themselves because they're faking. You have an advanced degree, ok in what? I'll sit here patiently while you "google" an appropriate response to make yourself sound legit....

This is either a disgruntled parent, someone who was or is part of this community and for whatever reason, had issues with a lot of people here and wants to cowardly tell people off without being identified, or just some stupid 40 year old punk living in their mommies basement with nothing better to do with their time then start chit on web forums.

Everyone complains about their job, get over yourself...it isn't called "work" or a "job" because it's all rainbows and fluffly kittens all the time. Little kids can, and will suck the life out of you, and you get tired, and you get drained, and you need to have someone to talk to about it. Every profession is like that, patients suck the life out of doctors, clients suck the life out of lawyers, and so on...it's just the way the world works, the only difference is other people have co-workers who they can go have a drink with off the clock, or golf with on the weekends, or whatever...we don't have that, we have this, and if anyone doesn't like this....no one is making you come here and read it.

Amen sister!
nikia 06:39 AM 03-12-2011
So your solution to disrespectful parents is to just term them???? Term the children who have done nothing and love the daycare and their friends and their caregiver???? I guess my take on it is, I DO NOT TERM INNOCENT CHILDREN FOR THEIR PARENTS MISTAKES. Thats just me, I form a bond with these children and I do not want to term because some parents do not have respect. And yes I am full have been since I opened, I have turned people away because I have no room.

The comment rude parents is because of quality of care is nonsense. Some people are just uncaring and rude. You cant change those people but you can deal with them and that is what I am referring too. We can do special things with their kids, love them and go above and beyond placing children in front of a tv all day and there is no thank you, just a okay see you tomorrow. To me that is rude. You have no idea how these woman run their businesses or the quality of care, you mentioned a book and that is what you think is a good example??? You were asked what posts are unprofessional, you were asked what comments make someone a bad providers in your eyes and there was no specific examples.

Also how do you know that the woman who you have sat down with do not come on here. Wouldnt that be a hoot to find out I am one of those woman who you deem as professional come on here a place that you think is horrible. And just because you think children and their parents are our customers does not mean that they can treat us anyway they please, its called being a decent human being, you dont treat people badly regardless if they are a customer, boss, business owner, friend, homeless person on the street, or a group full of women on a internet forum.
momatheart 07:23 AM 03-12-2011
I think everyone should have to register in order to post.

Maybe the OP is too unsure of him or herself and the advice he or she would give and that is why he or she is not registered. They could also be new to R&R and on a power trip and thus still lack their confidence but want to throw around where they work and for whom.

I feel anyone who is confident in what they are saying will be registered. JMHO.
Meeko 10:56 AM 03-12-2011

Wow! Your halo is really shiny......you obviously polish it a LOT.

Just a few questions...do you ever smile? Have you ever heard of sarcasm? Why did you feel it essential to mention your "advanced" degree to us lowly day care providers?

Please give us a break. Sometimes we come on here because just a need to let loose a little. Have you NEVER vented or said something a bit catty while mad? If you haven't...then hurray for you and your complete perfection.

Most of us are just non-perfect women who need a boost, a bit of advice and a virtual "hug" now and then. I for one, do not come here for "training" or for some high and mighty person with an "advanced" degree to tell me how dreadful I am.

I haven't been here long...but I have "felt the love" and I am so grateful for it.

I
Cat Herder 11:08 AM 03-13-2011
Challenge accepted, Thanks. It will be here by weeks end.

These are ones I personally enjoyed and recommend....

Standardized Childhood

Einstein never used Flashcards

A Mothers Job; The History of Daycare 1890-1960

Bridging the Gap Between Theory, Research and Practice; The Role of Child Development Laboratory Programs in Early Childhood Education

The Art of Leadership

Harvest for Hope

Children First

All fascinating, useful, and pertinent reading....
jen 11:54 AM 03-13-2011
I just looked up "Finding Your Smile Again" on amazon. It's a Redleaf Press book with just one review. Perhaps our anonymous poster is simply trying to drum up business for the book...Author?

If so, not the way to do it...in fact, if you aren't the author or his wife, I would hazzard to guess that they would appreciate it if you DIDN'T suggest their book. You are too much of a dividing force to be useful.

Whatever your original intent was, you failed miserably. It's sad really, you may have had useful information, the book may have been wonderful, but since you chose such a tactless way to approach the group, your message has been lost in the shuffle.

You should seek out some training on inter-personal skills. For someone working as a mediator, your poor communication techniques frighten me!
youretooloud 02:03 PM 03-13-2011
. For someone working as a mediator, your poor communication techniques frighten me!
Me too! I was thinking it would be unfortunate to have such a negative person "training" me.
MommyMuffin 03:56 PM 03-13-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Thanks for the advice on the book "Finding Your Smile Again" but it's not needed because I never misplaced it, because I come here and get support or they let me vent my anger without judging, from my great provider friends.
If there was a like button...I would push it!
jen 08:47 AM 03-14-2011
R&R,

I believe that this is you. It appears that you are putting yourself out there as a childcare/child development expert. As such, I think it would be great if you provided us with some information on your background.

1. You mention you have worked as a teacher for "years now."

How many years?
In what venue?
Have you aquired licensure?

2. I have never heard anyone who is working on their master's use the terminology advanced degree...generally people are more specific...which makes me wonder...What advanced degree are you speaking of? An undergrad degree is generally not thought of as "advanced."

I don't want to insult you, but really, if you want credibility, providing more information might be useful. At this point, you are coming across as very young and very inexperienced. If I had to guess, I would say that you are in your early 20's, that you worked in a daycare center before getting an AA degree in child development and are now very newly working for the R&R.

I know that your intentions are good. I can see that. When we are young, it is really easy to believe that we have all the answers, but unfortunately, the real world is far more complicated. This forum may be a great place for you to gain some of that experience second hand. I hope you stick around and listen and learn. I'm sure you will have a lot of valuable information to share as well. However, may I suggest that you share your ideas in a more tactful way. At this point, you are comging across as disrespectful and condescending, attributes that are not only unbecoming, but hinder your ability to get your message out there.
SilverSabre25 08:56 AM 03-14-2011
R&R,

I believe that this is you. It appears that you are putting yourself out there as a childcare/child development expert. As such, I think it would be great if you provided us with some information on your background.

1. You mention you have worked as a teacher for "years now."

How many years?
In what venue?
Have you aquired licensure?

2. I have never heard anyone who is working on their master's use the terminology advanced degree...generally people are more specific...which makes me wonder...What advanced degree are you speaking of? An undergrad degree is generally not thought of as "advanced."

I don't want to insult you, but really, if you want credibility, providing more information might be useful. At this point, you are coming across as very young and very inexperienced. If I had to guess, I would say that you are in your early 20's, that you worked in a daycare center before getting an AA degree in child development and are now very newly working for the R&R.

I know that your intentions are good. I can see that. When we are young, it is really easy to believe that we have all the answers, but unfortunately, the real world is far more complicated. This forum may be a great place for you to gain some of that experience second hand. I hope you stick around and listen and learn. I'm sure you will have a lot of valuable information to share as well. However, may I suggest that you share your ideas in a more tactful way. At this point, you are comging across as disrespectful and condescending, attributes that are not only unbecoming, but hinder your ability to get your message out there.
Ditto all of this.

All the education in the world is great, but until you combine it with real-world experience in the specific area, you aren't really ready to be teaching the information to others. The fact of the matter is that what you learned in the classroom will NOT work for every situation in the "real world". Kids are not cookies; they are individuals and the cookie-cutter solutions that are presented as "ideal" are NOT ideal for every child, every situation, or every program.

(I have a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Development and Education, completed all my needed pre-requisites to enter the Master's of Education program even though I chose to put that on hold for now, have a 3 year old daughter, and have done extensive reading on my own into child development and educational methods such as Reggio Emilia and Montessori. I have been doing home daycare for 14 months.)
Unregistered 09:55 AM 03-14-2011
OP, did it never cross your mind that sometimes in order to do our jobs well, we providers need to have a sounding board for those days when it seems that everything is going wrong? I would think that venting here about child behavior/parent behavior, etc. beats telling off the parents that are making the provider angry, and it certainly beats hurting the feelings of daycare kids by telling them how mad the provider is at them for pooping on the floor or peeing their pants. Nothing good ever comes of things like that and nothing good ever comes from keeping all of these feelings inside for the provider! Consider that before you come down on providers for being unprofessional or a bad provider.

OP, it is my hope that you can re-examine what a daycare provider's daily schedule is like and how hard her job can be. Sometimes all it takes to throw a day completely off is one temper tantrum or one instance of the provider being treated with disrespect and before you know it, the whole day has the potential to be a disaster. It's important for providers to have SAFE places to go in order to get things off their chest so that they don't have to carry the burden of feeling angry, unappreciated, disrespected, frustrated and pretty much every other negative feeling that we can have. Sometimes all that a provider wants is to be heard without being judged, and your post is the kind that takes that feeling of security away from the providers who are feeling low. They know that you'll flame them so they'll keep it all inside. Many of us have spouses and friends that we could talk to, but maybe I'm alone on this, but I really can't talk about any provider related frustrations with them because they can't relate to what I am feeling. The people on this site can relate and for the most part, they offer either helpful advice or they just listen.

My daddy taught me as a child that if I didn't have anything nice to say, then it was best not to speak at all. OP, you could benefit from that lesson.
dEHmom 10:36 AM 03-14-2011
While I do agree many use this site negatively, sometimes the negativity on here is very uplifting.

This is the WWW, and people who are not smart enough to know good advice from bad advice likely wouldn't be in childcare for long.

It is not easy. It's not like you can just have kids walk in in the morning, sit down in front of a tv for the whole day, and then leave all happy and have parents actually drop them off again in the morning.

It's not fair to say that for those of us who have crappy parents to deal with, that because they do something we should terminate them. Should we kick Billy out of our program just because he wiped snot on Sally? OR should we seek advice from co workers, because lets face it, that's what we all are on here, and find a proper solution? A way to say "Billy please don't wipe snot on Sally again" and have him actually listen?

p.s. many of the posters state they prefer not to give unregistered users the time of day. One simple way to stop this crap and let these trolls threads disappear is to simply NOT RESPOND. Start your own thread on what was said if you like. But don't give the people not willing to register the satisfaction of reading the responses and getting the reactions.
daycare 11:53 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
While I do agree many use this site negatively, sometimes the negativity on here is very uplifting.

This is the WWW, and people who are not smart enough to know good advice from bad advice likely wouldn't be in childcare for long.

It is not easy. It's not like you can just have kids walk in in the morning, sit down in front of a tv for the whole day, and then leave all happy and have parents actually drop them off again in the morning.

It's not fair to say that for those of us who have crappy parents to deal with, that because they do something we should terminate them. Should we kick Billy out of our program just because he wiped snot on Sally? OR should we seek advice from co workers, because lets face it, that's what we all are on here, and find a proper solution? A way to say "Billy please don't wipe snot on Sally again" and have him actually listen?

p.s. many of the posters state they prefer not to give unregistered users the time of day. One simple way to stop this crap and let these trolls threads disappear is to simply NOT RESPOND. Start your own thread on what was said if you like. But don't give the people not willing to register the satisfaction of reading the responses and getting the reactions.
how about we dont let the unregistered even post anything.......lol
dEHmom 11:55 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
how about we dont let the unregistered even post anything.......lol
while I would agree to this, there are times where us regular registered posters do need to sign out for privacy reasons.
DCMomOf3 12:06 PM 03-14-2011
lets stop picking on unregistered, now R&R. I think she makes some valid points and reading her posts she is not a troll and is really an advocate for the kids, even if you don't agree with her, her opinions, or her advice.

lets breathe and give her a chance.
daycare 12:06 PM 03-14-2011
while I would agree to this, there are times where us regular registered posters do need to sign out for privacy reasons.
oh yeah huh....llol GREAT POINT!!!
daycare 12:10 PM 03-14-2011
Sorry I was not picking on anyone, I am just taken back by some of the responses.. and If I were making responses like that I would want someone to give me a clue....(gosh why do I feel like I'm in grade school getting sent to the principal’s office....lol) I was too harsh and didn't mean to be...
Cat Herder 12:12 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
lets stop picking on unregistered, now R&R. I think she makes some valid points and reading her posts she is not a troll and is really an advocate for the kids, even if you don't agree with her, her opinions, or her advice.

Will do!
dEHmom 12:13 PM 03-14-2011
I think it's an initiation??? lol. I think lots of us aren't careful with our first few posts and jump in with opinions rather than facts????
jen 12:14 PM 03-14-2011

My intent wasn't to "pick on her" it was to offer some ideas on how to better express her opinons to the group.
DCMomOf3 12:16 PM 03-14-2011
Sorry I was not picking on anyone, I am just taken back by some of the responses.. and If I were making responses like that I would want someone to give me a clue....(gosh why do I feel like I'm in grade school getting sent to the principal’s office....lol) I was too harsh and didn't mean to be...
My post wasn't directed at any one person.

She has been getting a lot of flack in a few threads now and I don't like a group of people thinking they can pick on someone who is trying to give opinions and help. We all are here for the same reasons, to help the kids who go to daycare and to help the providers to do the best we can.
daycare 12:16 PM 03-14-2011
I think it's an initiation??? lol. I think lots of us aren't careful with our first few posts and jump in with opinions rather than facts????
True... It is also hard online to give advice sometimes, as you don't know someones intentions' or tone....
I'm sure if we met in person and the advice was given, we would all have accepted it much better.....(hopefully)
Candyland 12:17 PM 03-14-2011
I really would like to see all the "unregistered guests" here registered or not have the opportunity to "speak their mind" anonymously.

I asked this a few months ago. hey, I don't mind people coming around and reading what's on this site, but to have the gall to speak their mind and not be reistered here, well, I believe "speaking your mind" on this site is a privilege, not a right.

Michael??
Zoe 12:22 PM 03-14-2011
I'm having a hard time with this, honestly, because of what the forum has become these last few days. I haven't responded to this thread (or any of the threads-turned-arguments) as I'm still trying to figure R&R out. If she is willing to share advice, then great! Welcome!

But the majority of what I've seen have been attacks IMO and it's turning what I once viewed as a community forum into something more ugly.

I'm open to suggestions and other views of opinions....not personal attacks. I hope things turn around soon, because I'm almost feeling like we're losing our support system lately!
Michael 12:43 PM 03-14-2011
Yes, no hazing allowed
Michael 12:44 PM 03-14-2011
True... It is also hard online to give advice sometimes, as you don't know someones intentions' or tone....
True, that is what the smileys are for
Michael 12:57 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Candyland:
I really would like to see all the "unregistered guests" here registered or not have the opportunity to "speak their mind" anonymously.

I asked this a few months ago. hey, I don't mind people coming around and reading what's on this site, but to have the gall to speak their mind and not be reistered here, well, I believe "speaking your mind" on this site is a privilege, not a right.

Michael??
This sounds like an attack on my moderation. (j/k) I choose which unregistered posts get into the forum. As another member stated, it is your right to ignore threads that offend you. I personally do not think this thread is too offensive but that is my opinion.
daycare 12:58 PM 03-14-2011
love all the faces..........
I think that we all just need a cyber hug!!!!!
youretooloud 01:27 PM 03-14-2011

She has been getting a lot of flack in a few threads now and I don't like a group of people thinking they can pick on someone who is trying to give opinions and help. W
I don't think it's that we are actually picking on her... I, personally don't think she's for real. If I honestly thought she really is who she claims to be, and was actually trying to make her point, I'd have been extremely nice, and I would respectfully listen. But, since, I really, really think she's lying, I'm not taking her too seriously.

I have only been here for a very short time, but, I haven't seen anything on this board that makes me think children are in danger or being treated unprofessionally. (which is what she claims) I tried to imagine a thread on here that a teacher would copy and hand out to her students as a teaching tool.
Crystal 01:53 PM 03-14-2011
WOW! There have been an awful lot of assumptions and personal insults thrown around in here. Perhaps the OP may have been referring to these types of barbs in her OP when speaking of unprofessionalism and wondering if some should be providers?

I am sorry the OP has been "spoken to" in the manner she has. I imagine there were several now registered members here who use to lurk and post anonymous who would hev headed for the hills had they been treated in the same regard.

For those of you who are newer here, if you spend a little time doing some reading from (even recent) history, you will find LOTS of negative and sometimes even hateful things stated about children and families by providers who claim to be nurturing and caring. Some of it is rather repulsive, so I can see why the OP's first impression was not so favorable.
Hunni Bee 05:02 PM 03-14-2011
I come here mainly to ask advice and see if there's something I can use in my classroom. I have actually found some new ways of doing things that have worked, so in my opinion this board is well worth its weight in gigabytes . I sometimes worry that people will thing I'm not such a good provider because you probably tell I'm a young person, and I ask a lot of questions...but everybody learned SOMETHING from somewhere. Some people were born knowing how to be perfect child care providers...I'm not one of those people and I give the best I have to my kids, but I need feedback one some things and I cant always get it from my co-workers. I come here.

It seems the majority of the members on this site run/work in family day homes...I work in a center. When you have a FDH, you have more freedom to make and enforce your policies. Centers are kind of at the mercy of the parents, and parents will sometimes run up the front side of you and down the back, especially if you're giving and understanding. Not because parents are bad people, they just figure its their kid, so things should go their way. We dont hate, dislike or disrespect our parents. We just get frustrated...when you have a clearly defined illness policy, and a parent knowingly puts a 3 year old with a 101-degree-fever on the daycare van at 6:45 am, and then becomes unreachable until 3 pm...you get frustrated and you need to vent...to someone else besides the parent.

...That's what I see here on this board...providers sharing information, advice and stories, supporting each other and venting...I've never heard/seen anyone saying anything that "frightened" me (maybe a few things said/done in poor taste)...I have a Bachelor's of Social Work degree with specialization in...you guessed it...RESOURCE AND REFERRAL. But I havent been here long...so maybe I missed it.
Aya477 05:38 PM 03-14-2011
I've posted this before but I too have been astonished at many remarks, suggestions, and/or comments on how situations have been handled by providers on this forum. I did say "wow, if my provider did that I would be angry". I've also shared this forum with several friends who could not believe many of the comments posted here. I am not trying to discount the moments where good advice is given, however. Those instances do happen. Simply stated, I can relate to OP's opinion.
Candyland 05:42 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
This sounds like an attack on my moderation. (j/k) I choose which unregistered posts get into the forum. As another member stated, it is your right to ignore threads that offend you. I personally do not think this thread is too offensive but that is my opinion.
LOL - I'm glad you know I wasn't attacking you.

And I guess, that's what I will have to do...ignore those threads, though I wasn't offended at what was said, just the fact that she/he could say it and remain "anonymous".
Cat Herder 04:39 AM 03-15-2011
I keep hearing about these posts....but no examples.... Please post a link to the specific threads you are talking about.

Copy and paste, multi-quote, screen shot, smoke signal....anything...

Please??
DBug 05:04 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I keep hearing about these posts....but no examples.... Please post a link to the specific threads you are talking about.

Copy and paste, multi-quote, screen shot, smoke signal....anything...

Please??
I'd like to see them too ...
Tags:member, unregistered, username
Reply Up