Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diabetes
cillybean83 07:36 AM 03-12-2011
I had it with my oldest 8 years ago, it went away when he was about 4 weeks old...the dr told me that GD means I will probably be full blown diabetic within 10 years, I thought no way, I'm only 20.

I had it again with my youngest, he's 15 months, and I had it BAD, I couldn't get my fasting BS under 125 no matter what, I was taking the max amount of glyburide, and at 36 weeks they just decided to take him via csection instead of putting me on insulin

my BS numbers never fully recovered, they hovered at "pre-diabetic" range...I quit testing when he as 5 months old. Lately I've felt terrible, exhausted, tingling in my limbs, hot, sweaty, constantly thirsty, constant hunger, etc...I know what these signs mean, I've been to scared to acknowledge them.

I decided this morning to test my fasting blood sugar for the first time in 10 months. It was 273...I've been crying all morning because I had to face the fact that I am a full blown diabetic. My husband keeps saying "we'll get a diabetic cookbook, theres tons of things you can eat" and im like WTF it isn't the FOOD i'm worried about...it's losing my FEET, my VISION, my LIFE...

I'm making an appt to go get an A1C done...i'm so scared, i don't know what to do Is anyone here diabetic, what can I do to FIX this!?
momatheart 07:53 AM 03-12-2011
I do not have diabetes. However, I do have a friends who do and a father-in-law who has diet controlled.
I know you asked for help from anyone who has diabetes but what I would do is start watching carbs asap and start exercising and/or walking everyday if you can.
Also portion control to get an accurate carb count.

I hope someone can help you on this board with some good advice.
youretooloud 08:04 AM 03-12-2011
I have friends who are diabetic, and they needed the insulin for a while, but now manage it with food.

They have to be very, very careful. They wear good shoes all the time, they avoid situations where they'll be exposed to illness, they eat healthy and count carbs.

Some of them actually consider themselves "cured" because they've managed the diabetes so well with a good diet. But, others have lost limbs and are obese, and do nothing to help themselves. You are obviously taking care of it!! Your husband is right! You can learn about diabetes, and this can be managed.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...abetes&x=0&y=0 Look... tons of books to help you.. one even claims you can reverse diabetes.
SilverSabre25 08:11 AM 03-12-2011
Sorry you're going through this, Cilly. Diabetes is one of my fears of life, since I am very overweight and there's family history of it. So far with both pregnancies I've passed the glucose test with flying colors though.

I hope you find that you're able to control it pretty easily; at least you're facing the problem and taking care of it. It will be a hard adjustment, but hopefully your whole family will be healthier for it. Since you're the one cooking, you just make you-friendly meals for everyone and they aren't allowed to complain (unless they want to go cook!)
cillybean83 09:33 AM 03-12-2011
i called my doc and he told me not to freak out, that freaking out raises BS levels, stress and nerves do too...he told me to come in for an A1C, control carb intake to 25 carbs per meal and 10 per snack, eat 5 small meals per day, cut out soda and other sugary stuff, take my metformin (which i've totally slacked on for a looooong time), drink tons of water, and MOVE...it doesn't matter if it's a walk, a workout dvd, joining a gym, cleaning the house, anything that isn't sitting in front of the tv or computer for long periods of time...and if my BS drops dramatically with those few changes, then it might not be as bad as I've convinced myself that it is...and i'm not to the point where I have to give up my flip-flops, but I should be wary of getting pedicures because they aren't always clean
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 03-12-2011
Cillybean...I am sorry this has you so worked up and scared but it really isn't a death sentence..... My DH is an insulin diabetic and when he was first diagnoses 5 years ago, he went through the same thoughts you are going through. His mom is diabetic and his brother passed away from severe diabetic complications when he was 34 years old.

Now before that freaks you out, I have to say the only eason he passed away was because he did not manage his diabetes AT ALL. He drank cases of sugary pop daily, he was an alcoholic as well as a fast food junky. He never took care of himself and he paid the ultimate price. He was first diagnosed at age 8. It was a long road and a sad one too but in the long run, he made a choice and it cost him.

My nephew is a diabetic as well and has been since he was 7. He is 18 now and doing well because he had parents who taught him what to do and how to manage his diabetes correctly.

So anyways, back to my DH. He is the ideal diabetic. He manages his diabetes with insulin, healthy diet and exercise. It is really quite easy and I have to say that it has turned out to be a blessing in disguise for our whole family. His blood sugar numbers rarely go over 130 and his A1C's when he first found out was 11 and now have been between 4 and 6. His BS levels were in the high 400's when he first found out! Now he takes 3-5 insulin shots a day as well as one in the evening before bedtime.

Eating healthy is easy. You do not have to give up anything (although cutting out sugary foods/snacks and fast food are recommended) If you choose to eat healthy and stay geared toward whole grains and vegetable carbs rather than sugar carbs you will be just fine.

If you need any help or support or have a question, please just PM me and I can share all kinds of little tips and tricks that will have you (and your whole family) making healthy meal choices. My DH diabetic counselor says he is a poster child for diabetes and has never seen anyone manage so well. My husband and my fmaily all did give up regular soda and all drink water and we do not have fast food; ever.....We have all lost weight too. My DH and I are both probably healthier now than when we were in our 20ies.

It really is easy and manageable.....and yes, stressing out does cause you BS numbers to go up so take a few deep breathes and remember that it is NOT the worst thing in the world. It is treatable and manageable and easy. Hang in there! ((((hugs))))
cillybean83 10:00 AM 03-12-2011
i had scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast, and 2 hours later my BS level was 175...but I also started back on metformin, which probably helped it drop 100 points that rapidly, even with eating.

I have PCOS, which is insulin resistance, so I am supposed to take 1500mg of metformin daily, and I haven't because it makes me sick, but that's no longer an option...
Blackcat31 10:11 AM 03-12-2011
I think there are other "brands" of metformin you could ask your doctor about. They also have a slow release tablet that can cause side effects to be less that you might want to ask about. Also, it MUST be taken with food so that it isn't harsh on your stomache.

The good news though is that if you are a Type 2 diuabetic, weight loss and proper diet will usually make all symptoms go away or stay under control, being a Type 2 diabetic means insulin for ever.

The foot loss and eye sight loss is all part of diabetes but usually only occur in either old age, severe cases or really bad mismanagement. My DH has been an insulin diabetic for over 5 years now and does not have any issues with his feet or his eye sight. So honestly, proper management is the key. My MIL has had diabetes for 30 years (she only takes a pill, NOT insulin) and nephew has been diabetic for over 10 years and neither of them has foot or eye problems at all.

Find a doctor you like and trust...have them recommend a Diabetic Counselor and honestly listen and do everything they say.
Abigail 07:06 PM 03-12-2011
Diabetes runs in our family. I'm not diabetic *yet* and only one of my sister's would get diabetes during her pregnancies and then it would go away as well. My mom taught diabetes classes, so you should seek out support groups in your area and see if they're available.

Being a diabetic is not the end of the world. You'll need to test your blood sugar so I hope you're okay with needles. My sister is terrified of needles, but she did okay when she had to test.

My best recommendation is to count carbs....that is VERY important and to exercise. I'm not sure if you're at a healthy weight, but sometimes medications in general make a person gain a bunch of weight and then they seem to just give up as they continue to lose weight. So make sure you start exercising and moving around regularly. You should always wear shoes outside, even in the summer when it's nice. Flip flops would be okay once in awhile, they just don't give feet any protection or support.
Meeko 09:09 PM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I had it with my oldest 8 years ago, it went away when he was about 4 weeks old...the dr told me that GD means I will probably be full blown diabetic within 10 years, I thought no way, I'm only 20.

I had it again with my youngest, he's 15 months, and I had it BAD, I couldn't get my fasting BS under 125 no matter what, I was taking the max amount of glyburide, and at 36 weeks they just decided to take him via csection instead of putting me on insulin

my BS numbers never fully recovered, they hovered at "pre-diabetic" range...I quit testing when he as 5 months old. Lately I've felt terrible, exhausted, tingling in my limbs, hot, sweaty, constantly thirsty, constant hunger, etc...I know what these signs mean, I've been to scared to acknowledge them.

I decided this morning to test my fasting blood sugar for the first time in 10 months. It was 273...I've been crying all morning because I had to face the fact that I am a full blown diabetic. My husband keeps saying "we'll get a diabetic cookbook, theres tons of things you can eat" and im like WTF it isn't the FOOD i'm worried about...it's losing my FEET, my VISION, my LIFE...

I'm making an appt to go get an A1C done...i'm so scared, i don't know what to do Is anyone here diabetic, what can I do to FIX this!?
I have type 2 diabetes. Just like you I had Gestational diabetes with my last baby 14 years ago. Was told to lose weight or I may get type 2 within 10 years. Guess what?! I was diagnosed about 3 years ago as my vision kept getting whacky and I was drinking ALL the time I was so thirsty. I am ashamed to say that I panicked and then just denied it and went two more years without doing a thing. But a long talk with my doc made me see that it's not the end of the world and that if I lose weight I could lose my diabetes too. So I am trying hard before it gets too late to turn back the clock. My local hostpital has some wonderful classes that teach all about diet etc. See if yours does too. Most of my panic was because I just didn't know where to begin with diet etc.

Chin up hon....better to know and do something about it. Diabetes can be well controlled and if you have type 2...can even disappear.

Kind of off on a tangent....but best thing I have ever found is Walmart's Clear American sparkling flavored water. I LOVE it. I'll take it over a pop any day. I drink gallons of the stuff. Lots of great flavors and it's sugar free, sodium free (lots of diet drinks are still high in sodium), color free etc and YUMMY!
SandeeAR 07:46 AM 03-13-2011
I am a Type II diabetic, have been for 20+ years. My best advice is do better than I have. I am NOT the ideal diabetic. I have spent many times over the years, not taking care of myself. I'm not proud of it, just didn't have good examples. I had diabetes in both sides of my family. None of them took really good care of themselves.

I have developed GERD, gastric parasis,and a hiatial hernia b/c/ of diabetes.
I started out diet controlled, went the several meds and have been on insulin for over a year now.

My biggest problem is I LOVE chocolate. I have a hard time staying away from it, so my numbers are always off.

Hang in there. I'll try to answer any questions you have. I have the info, after 20+ years, but just don't always apply it the way I should.
Pammie 11:46 AM 03-13-2011
I'm a Type 2 diabetic - having developed full-blown diabetes after gestational diabetes with my daughter. Many, many of the horror stories that you hear about diabetic complications are from people who have ignored - or mismanaged their disease. I have 20 years of managing my diabetes, and can tell you that I am the healthiest now since my teen years. It takes a lot of work, a good doctor that works with you, and lots of education.....lots of education. In fact, I now help with diabetes education classes for newly diagnosed patients in my doctors' practice - not necessarily a "success story" but more an example of how education and and diligence can manage the disease.

Just to give you an idea: When I was diagnosed, my fasting blood glucose level was 289 and my A1C was 11.9. In December, my fasting # was 67 and my A1C was 4.8.

The single best thing that you can to do help yourself is to get to that appointment with your doctor - find out what's really going on with your body. Make certain that your doctor is very pro-active in treating diabetes - and if they aren't find another doctor.

Going to counseling classes is important. If your doctor's practice or local hospital don't offer them, contact the American Diabetes Assn for classes in your area. Learning how different foods impact your glucose levels is critical - because different people's bodies react differently to different foods. For example, I can eat tomatoes all day long, and never see it impact my readings, while one of my best friends has one tomato and her levels shoot through the roof. Educate yourself on how your medications work. For example - that breakfast that you had of eggs and cheese was probably the cause of that good 2-hr post-meal reading. Metformin takes weeks to build up in your system to the point that it helps to manage your glucose levels - a single dose, or even 5 single doses will have no immediate impact on your readings...and the sickness that you feel from your Metformin will eventually go away:-)

There is so much information out there - as well as lots of misinformation too. It takes awhile to sort it all out - to learn how *your* body works - and to develop a plan to manage your diabetes that you can live with. (I can't possibly give up chocolate - so now I "budget" for some dark chocolate every evening - and my #s are okay with me doing that)

If you need anything - anytime - just PM me
broncomom1973 11:54 AM 03-13-2011
Just wanted to say Im sorry and Im sure you are really scared, but you certainly sound like someone who wants to make the necessary changes to minimize the effects of this disease. People who want to make the changes and actually do make the appropriate changes (diet, exercise and possible medications) usually do great. You already sound like you have a great amount of knowledge about diabetes from your gestational diabetes diagnosis and the fact that you even recognized your symptoms puts you ahead of the game. Good luck.

I have worked with many diabetic patients. Some of them take great care of themselves and have a great prognosis, some of them dont take care of themselves at all. In addition to working in nursing homes and in an oral surgery office and dealing with many diabetic patients, my father-in-law was diabetic. He died as a result of non-managed diabetes. He drank excessive amounts of alcohol and was completely sedentary. He had heart disease and had to have a quadruple bypass by age 55. Due to how sedentary he was, he did end up with an infection in his foot when he was 60 and was scheduled to have his foot amputated. He went into the hospital the night before his scheduled surgery and while my husband was talking to him on the phone that night he noticed that his dad was a bit confused. Dh called the nurses station to let them know he thought his dads blood sugar was out of whack and thought they would check in on him. About 3 hours later (midnight) he got a call that his dad was in pulseless electrical activity (PEA), a heart disrythmia where there is no pulse but there is electrical activity of the heart. Pulseless electrical activity is treated like a cardiac arrest with CPR after a quick evaluation for the reversible causes. My guess is that the nurse got busy and never did check my father-in-laws blood sugar. He did end up dying after a few days on life support. He was absolutely NOT the poster child for how to take care of yourself.

I am not trying to scare you (you already sound educated on the complications), just agreeing that non managed diabetes can certainly cause problems down the road with heart disease and kidney problems in addition to problems with circulation-neuropathy, skin, eyes, and even hearing . You are definitely on the right track wanting to avoid these problems. Best of luck to you. I will be thinking of you. Hugs.
broncomom1973 12:02 PM 03-13-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I'm a Type 2 diabetic - having developed full-blown diabetes after gestational diabetes with my daughter. Many, many of the horror stories that you hear about diabetic complications are from people who have ignored - or mismanaged their disease. I have 20 years of managing my diabetes, and can tell you that I am the healthiest now since my teen years. It takes a lot of work, a good doctor that works with you, and lots of education.....lots of education. In fact, I now help with diabetes education classes for newly diagnosed patients in my doctors' practice - not necessarily a "success story" but more an example of how education and and diligence can manage the disease.

Just to give you an idea: When I was diagnosed, my fasting blood glucose level was 289 and my A1C was 11.9. In December, my fasting # was 67 and my A1C was 4.8.

The single best thing that you can to do help yourself is to get to that appointment with your doctor - find out what's really going on with your body. Make certain that your doctor is very pro-active in treating diabetes - and if they aren't find another doctor.

Going to counseling classes is important. If your doctor's practice or local hospital don't offer them, contact the American Diabetes Assn for classes in your area. Learning how different foods impact your glucose levels is critical - because different people's bodies react differently to different foods. For example, I can eat tomatoes all day long, and never see it impact my readings, while one of my best friends has one tomato and her levels shoot through the roof. Educate yourself on how your medications work. For example - that breakfast that you had of eggs and cheese was probably the cause of that good 2-hr post-meal reading. Metformin takes weeks to build up in your system to the point that it helps to manage your glucose levels - a single dose, or even 5 single doses will have no immediate impact on your readings...and the sickness that you feel from your Metformin will eventually go away:-)

There is so much information out there - as well as lots of misinformation too. It takes awhile to sort it all out - to learn how *your* body works - and to develop a plan to manage your diabetes that you can live with. (I can't possibly give up chocolate - so now I "budget" for some dark chocolate every evening - and my #s are okay with me doing that)

If you need anything - anytime - just PM me

You are the poster child for how to take care of yourself Good job. I agree with you about working with your doctor. At my last job, I worked in a family practice clinic in the lab. The physicians in this clinic (there were 6) set up educational classes/support group for diabetic patients. They would have these about once a month in the evenings in the clinics lobby area. Sometimes they would have guest speakers and there were always 1-2 physicians there to answer questions and lead the "classes". I was always impressed that they did this for their patients. They strongly encouraged all diabetics to attend. Maybe check into something like that.
cillybean83 12:53 PM 03-13-2011
thanks for all the support i really, really appreciate it. has anyone noticed that their bs readings go hand in hand with their mood? I get really cranky and have a very short fuse when my numbers are high
SandeeAR 06:21 AM 03-14-2011
thanks for all the support i really, really appreciate it. has anyone noticed that their bs readings go hand in hand with their mood? I get really cranky and have a very short fuse when my numbers are high
When I was first diagnosed, that is how my family could tell if my bs was high. I became that bee with an itch! When I drop, I start slurring my words and stopping to think to be able to talk. Besides getting REAL shaky. Most ppl can handle Normal range, but at 85 I start to shaky, by 60, I'm toast!
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
When I was first diagnosed, that is how my family could tell if my bs was high. I became that bee with an itch! When I drop, I start slurring my words and stopping to think to be able to talk. Besides getting REAL shaky. Most ppl can handle Normal range, but at 85 I start to shaky, by 60, I'm toast!
Isn't it funny how people can be so different? My DH hangs in the low normal range most of the time. The only problems he seems to have is going low. His lowest is 23. Mostly it is because he works a physical job and sometimes gets so involved in what he does that he "forgets" to slow down and not work so hard. Fortunatley, it doesn't happen very often.

My MIL is like you though; if she hits 100 she starts getting really shaky so her normal level is totally different than my DH's.
SandeeAR 06:48 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Isn't it funny how people can be so different? My DH hangs in the low normal range most of the time. The only problems he seems to have is going low. His lowest is 23. Mostly it is because he works a physical job and sometimes gets so involved in what he does that he "forgets" to slow down and not work so hard. Fortunatley, it doesn't happen very often.

My MIL is like you though; if she hits 100 she starts getting really shaky so her normal level is totally different than my DH's.
My sugar still isn't in perfect control, by any means. I probably stay close to 150 a lot. However, at one point, when I wasn't taking care of myself, I went to the Dr and was close to 600. They wanted to know how I was still functioning and not in the hospital. I told them, it was b/c I had gotten they slowly and my body had adapted to it.

I handle very high fine, but normal ranges for most ppl sends me to non funtioning.
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 03-14-2011
Yes, your body definitely adjusts! My brother in law (who passed away from complications due to severe mismanagement) usually spent most days in the 600's and Dr's were always amazed he was still functioning.
SandeeAR 07:06 AM 03-14-2011
I'm not at 600 anymore. I went thru a tough time a few years back, and simple stopped taking my meds. Not the best thing to do, but it is in the past. If I get an A1C under 10, that is a really good thing.

My problem, is I hate to exercise and LOVE chocolate. It is an accomplishment for me to go a day without some sort of chocolate. When I crave hershey kisses, I will eat the whole bag in two days, instead of eating 4-5 pcs a day. If I don't buy it, and have it at home, I'm ok, but I still buy it.
cillybean83 07:46 AM 03-14-2011
my highest recorded is 338, i feel a little off when it's super high, but i feel like i'm dying when it tries to go back to "normal" (90-120)...the dr said my body has gotten so used to constantly being high, that being normal makes me feel like crap
SandeeAR 11:04 AM 03-14-2011
my highest recorded is 338, i feel a little off when it's super high, but i feel like i'm dying when it tries to go back to "normal" (90-120)...the dr said my body has gotten so used to constantly being high, that being normal makes me feel like crap

That's me. My body is so used to being high, I just can't function at the "normal" figures. Glucose tablets and peanut butter are my best friend! I keep a large bottle of Glucose tablets and peanut butter granola bars on my night stand. If I feel it dip at night, usually 1-2 am, I don't usually even check it anymore, I just grab two tablets, and a bar, then go back to sleep.

There have been a few times, that it was VERY hard to get it to come back up. We were camping one weekend last summer. We slept in and ate a big breakfast later. I did my insulin about 10am, instead of 8 am. That afternoon, they got close to taking me to the ER. Glucose tabs, peanut butter and oj, just weren't doing it. I was at 40 and according to my daughter, very spaced out and trying to go to sleep.
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 03-14-2011
My DH hates the glucose tabs...he says they reak havoc on his digestive system and must RUN to the toilet shortly afterwards. I suppose it is the sugar. Glucose tabs are great for bringing up the blood sugar because they are quick acting, but my DH uses nuts, trail mix or granola bars to bring his numbers up on a more consistent climb and that way it also has a better effect on him. We buy Planter's Mixed nuts in the GIANT cans from Sam's Club. He also keeps dried fruits in the truck in case he needs that lift in his numbers.

But for when you need the increase NOW, o.j and glucose tabs are the way to go.

Do you notice any changes in the digestive system after you have had exptreme lows or highs?
SandeeAR 11:38 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DH hates the glucose tabs...he says they reak havoc on his digestive system and must RUN to the toilet shortly afterwards. I suppose it is the sugar. Glucose tabs are great for bringing up the blood sugar because they are quick acting, but my DH uses nuts, trail mix or granola bars to bring his numbers up on a more consistent climb and that way it also has a better effect on him. We buy Planter's Mixed nuts in the GIANT cans from Sam's Club. He also keeps dried fruits in the truck in case he needs that lift in his numbers.

But for when you need the increase NOW, o.j and glucose tabs are the way to go.

Do you notice any changes in the digestive system after you have had exptreme lows or highs?
I have GERD and gastric Parisis, b/c of the diabetes, so "changes" in the digestive system is putting it mildly LOL. Extreme Lows usually send me to throw up, b/c of the combo of stuff I ingest so quickly trying to pull up.
texascare 07:06 AM 03-17-2011
My son is Type 1 Diabetic. He was diagnosed 3 yrs ago at age 7.
cillybean83 10:19 AM 03-17-2011
my sis in law was type 1, diagnosed at age 7 too...she had a pancreas and kidney transplant 5 years ago after being on dialysis for 5 years, and now she's eaten her way into having type 2...

my numbers have been super good (all things considered) ranging between 105 and 160...I'm taking 500 mg of metformin a day and 10mg of glyburide, and I'm eating a very low carb diet...I have another dr appt on June 23rd to see how things are going...so hopefully i can get this situation in check!!!
Tags:diabetes
Reply Up