Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Son Doesn't Eat That
MG&Lsmom 10:49 AM 03-17-2011
Um ok. What does your son eat?

Donuts, cheese, grilled cheese, crackers, french fries, chips, hot dogs, bananas

Yes, my conversation with DCM this morning regarding my menu.

DCB did not eat one single bite of food or drink even a sip of water yesterday while here for 9 hours. She's upset he's not eating because I'm not serving what he likes. She was bringing him food before we started the food program 2 months ago but it causes so much problems because everyone wanted what he had, naturally. Why eat homemade pizza and salad when little J has chips, cookies and a cheese stick for lunch?? Ugh!

And apparently DCD had some pleasant things to call me yesterday when they discussed it. DCB parroted them back to me when I placed his bbq pork, green beans, blueberries and homemade stuffing in front of him. Dropped "You %^&# S! Just like daddy says." "Shh, don't say at S's house. Only at home."
marniewon 10:55 AM 03-17-2011
Yikes!! That sounds sooooo disrespectful on the part of the dcd!! Even if it wasn't meant for you to hear, it sure says a lot about how much he likes and respects you!

Good for you for sticking to your guns and only serving healthy food! My ds (who is now 16) has always been a picky eater. I was happy that my dcp was still serving healthy meals, even if he didn't eat them. My thought was (and still is) if they are hungry enough, they'll eat it.
countrymom 11:13 AM 03-17-2011
sounds like some of the kids I have, I am just so shocked at how poor children eat. Its not like my generation grew up eating garbage, so I don't understand why many would feed thier children this.
cillybean83 11:16 AM 03-17-2011
i watched a boy like that last summer. His entire diet consisted of:

Mountain Dew
Lunchables (but only the pizza ones, and only the bread a sauce and candy)
Capt'n Crunch (but only the crunch berries)
Chocolate cake with chocolate icing
Hotdogs (but only if they're sliced up, arranged in the shape of a smily face, and given ketchup "hair")

um....wth? This kid was SIX!!! Mom saw my menu and said "oh he won't eat any of this!" so I told her she could send his food...if she sent enough for EVERYONE

he fussed and whined and pooped his pants out of anger (oh yes, i said pooped himself!) and mom pulled him because I wasn't feeding him (translation: wasn't giving her boy the empty calorie diet she allowed at home)

He's 7 now, and still in kindergarten, because mom doesn't make him read, doesn't make him eat right, doesn't make him go to bed, doesn't make him go to school, lets him hit and bite, and he still poops his pants...i thought he may have been autistic but i think he's just rotten :\

gotta love good parenting!
safechner 11:24 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i watched a boy like that last summer. His entire diet consisted of:

Mountain Dew
Lunchables (but only the pizza ones, and only the bread a sauce and candy)
Capt'n Crunch (but only the crunch berries)
Chocolate cake with chocolate icing
Hotdogs (but only if they're sliced up, arranged in the shape of a smily face, and given ketchup "hair")

um....wth? This kid was SIX!!! Mom saw my menu and said "oh he won't eat any of this!" so I told her she could send his food...if she sent enough for EVERYONE

he fussed and whined and pooped his pants out of anger (oh yes, i said pooped himself!) and mom pulled him because I wasn't feeding him (translation: wasn't giving her boy the empty calorie diet she allowed at home)

He's 7 now, and still in kindergarten, because mom doesn't make him read, doesn't make him eat right, doesn't make him go to bed, doesn't make him go to school, lets him hit and bite, and he still poops his pants...i thought he may have been autistic but i think he's just rotten :\

gotta love good parenting!
Oh my! It sounds like his mother is spoiled brat too! I am pretty sure the kids will make fun of him if he stays in kindergarten too long, haha!
safechner 11:28 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
Um ok. What does your son eat?

Donuts, cheese, grilled cheese, crackers, french fries, chips, hot dogs, bananas

Yes, my conversation with DCM this morning regarding my menu.

DCB did not eat one single bite of food or drink even a sip of water yesterday while here for 9 hours. She's upset he's not eating because I'm not serving what he likes. She was bringing him food before we started the food program 2 months ago but it causes so much problems because everyone wanted what he had, naturally. Why eat homemade pizza and salad when little J has chips, cookies and a cheese stick for lunch?? Ugh!

And apparently DCD had some pleasant things to call me yesterday when they discussed it. DCB parroted them back to me when I placed his bbq pork, green beans, blueberries and homemade stuffing in front of him. Dropped "You %^&# S! Just like daddy says." "Shh, don't say at S's house. Only at home."
The problem is not the boy, it is his mother who allowed that happens. If I was his mother, I will tell him to eat healthy foods whether he likes or not..

I can't believe his dad allowed him to say that at home. What was he thinking?
youretooloud 11:34 AM 03-17-2011
I just had this same issue yesterday! It's infuriating.

I had a six yr old girl over for the day. (it's only one day, so she'll live)

She was very polite the whole day "Just so you know, I don't eat any fruit, vegetable, or cheese... or sandwiches". "OK.. that's fine, I don't mind if you don't eat." She said "But, I want something else".

So, she ate a cookie the whole day. I serve a very kid friendly meal all the time.. but, she would not eat any of it.

Then, he mom said "well, is it so hard to find her something she WILL eat????" (she was not polite) I said "I actually did try, but she doesn't like ANYTHING" I fixed pasta, grapes, bananas, carrots WITH Ranch, and a choice of sandwiches, and she wouldn't eat any of it... except the cookie." She said "Well, what kid would eat carrots and grapes?" (everybody else)

Good luck with her health as she gets older.
momatheart 11:35 AM 03-17-2011
He will eventually eat what is there in front of him or try it because he will be hungry enough.

We have a kid at our center 34 months who won't drink anything from a cup at snack or lunch. Dad said since he got of the bottle he won't drink juice from a cup. I should have asked about milk.

He is a picky eater and only eats snack foods. He never eats his lunch. He did yesterday start to pick at a bun and ate some of the top of it. LOL

I think eventually kids will get it. I think PARENTS need to stop letting the kids run the household. We always say, "You get what you get and you don't have a fit."
SilverSabre25 11:35 AM 03-17-2011
Loony. Absolutely loony. I do NOT understand how parents can feed their kids that much utter crap and feel good about themselves at the end of the day!

Ok, sure, lots of people probably think my DD eats "utter crap" because I let her have some sort of sweet treat/candy/cookie/etc every day...sometimes twice...and we eat out WAY too much (my fault...), and we have chips and things around that she's allowed to have. BUT--my DD will eat almost any veggie you put in front of her, prefers fruits and veggies over most sweets, almost never drinks juice, BEGS for water when she gets Sprite when we're out, doesn't like chicken nuggets (except from Chik-fil-a or homemade), and has been known to eat entire stalks of broccoli fresh off the (plant? vine? bush? Dunno what you call it!). I have to remind her to eat her chicken and not just peas, and tell her no, you can't have a banana until you finish your toast! She's been known to eat an entire bag of baby carrots over the course of an afternoon.

I do NOT feel bad about my child's diet 95% of the time...I cook at home, use real and whole ingredients, cook with things most Americans not only wouldn't recognize but wouldn't touch with a 39.5 ft pole. The other 5%, well, no one's perfect! (and most of that 5% comes when she's off at my ILs for the weekend, like now...they don't understand a child that prefers grilled chicken over mac n cheese, they eat out almost every day, and honestly don't believe that DD would much rather have Raisin Bran than Froot Loops...)

Your menu sounds extremely yummy--can I come over for lunch? I could use some bbq oink right now!
TBird 11:43 AM 03-17-2011
Question.....do these parents realize that their children will be going to SCHOOL some day??? "Miss McGilicutty" (the cafeteria lunch lady) is not gonna stand behind the counter and cook these kids another meal. My kid WAS the picky kid....wouldn't eat anything unless it was HOT cooked food. I told him that when he got to school he was going to starve....and sent him on his merry way!!!
nannyde 11:58 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Question.....do these parents realize that their children will be going to SCHOOL some day??? "Miss McGilicutty" (the cafeteria lunch lady) is not gonna stand behind the counter and cook these kids another meal. My kid WAS the picky kid....wouldn't eat anything unless it was HOT cooked food. I told him that when he got to school he was going to starve....and sent him on his merry way!!!
Have you seen the state of school lunch? The kids will dig it. It's pure junk. Check out Ann Cooper http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/chefannc

Jaime Oliver is another great teacher for school food.
wdmmom 12:11 PM 03-17-2011
I've had my fair share of picky eaters. I've even had "that parent" that pulled their kid saying that I didn't feed her because I wasn't serving Lucky Charms at breakfast and Chips Ahoy at snack time. (She wasn't even here at afternoon snack time!) Duh!

I make a menu for a month at a time. Parents all can see this through my website or Facebook page.

Parents know that I only serve healthy home cooked meals and I've never had a parent complain because their child may or may not eat. I have a great set of kids but there is one that refuses fruit unless it's a banana. He's only 18 months old. I continue to offer it to every child and they are welcome to pass or eat it. I offered it so I don't feel the least bit guilty if they don't eat it.

After all, it's not my fault that parents only feed their kids chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, twinkies, ho-ho's and Suzie Q's. Childhood obesity is already a problem and I, for one, am not going to contribute to it.
nannyde 12:47 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Parents know that I only serve healthy home cooked meals and I've never had a parent complain because their child may or may not eat. I have a great set of kids but there is one that refuses fruit unless it's a banana. He's only 18 months old. I continue to offer it to every child and they are welcome to pass or eat it. I offered it so I don't feel the least bit guilty if they don't eat it.
I never worry if a kid doesn't like some of the stuff I serve. As long as they eat most of what I serve I'm really happy. Bananas are a pretty common dislike. I've had kids who ate them at home and won't touch them here. It's not that they don't LIKE them it's they want my home made grub not something they get regularly at home. They will refuse stuff here and happily eat it at home.

One of my kids would GAG at bananas on the plate. Gag before he touched them. I kept telling his Mom that he was doing this and she tells me he eats them all the time at home.

I didn't believe.... I must admit...

I got a phone video of him scarfing them at home in his little high chair.

I don't remember your kid refusing a good plate of grub.
Symphony 12:48 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Have you seen the state of school lunch? The kids will dig it. It's pure junk. Check out Ann Cooper http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/chefannc

Jaime Oliver is another great teacher for school food.
I heart Jamie Oliver

I am having a big struggle with school lunch here. The school used to have a microwave, so I would send my older children to school with the same things we were eating at home and they could heat it up right there. Well, apparantly, they do not have a microwave anymore and they have no interest in replacing it or allowing one to be donated. So now I am left with the choice of sending my kids with money for the hot lunch at school, or a literal cold lunch from home. I consider myself a decent cook, and I am fairly creative, but I have not been able to come up with a heck of a lot of variety when it comes to what I can send them with. It keeps me up at night and I don't know what to do.

Sorry to derail....
I have two families that say their children will only eat or drink pure cr*p. Those are the ones I enjoy telling the most at the end of the day how much little Johnny loved his spinach or how sweet Susie couldn't get enough of her salmon. Makes me sick to think about what these kids eat at home. I have one family where mom cooks a nice meal every night, and then heats up some chicken nuggets for her son. Every single night. Never even offers him what they are eating. Just blows my mind!
MG&Lsmom 04:27 PM 03-17-2011
Well Mom and I had another discussion at pick up about his eating and the words he used at the table today. She's not surprised he started dropping f-bombs (he's 2 btw!). He apparently does it at home, gets it from DCD and they just laugh and tell him "we don't say that". She was shocked that he parroted what appeared to be DCD calling me f-ing S___. She said she's never heard DCD refer to me that way and that they both love me to bits (uh huh).

She wants to go from 2 day to 4-5 days because DCD can now work all week with a buddy doing landscaping. Hopefully they will start that in another week or two and this child will start to eat something. He's not overweight. Quite the opposite. He's 36" tall and barely 23lbs @ 2y3m. And he appears low tone, gross and fine motor delayed, and spectrumy. I base this on the fact I have 2 kids on the spectrum and EI is here 2x/wk for my own 2yo and she's made several comments about him needing an eval. Mom refuses. But he sits at home in front of the tv, has never been around other kids ever and hardly eats. Of course he's low everything. I can't believe Mom doesn't see how it's harming him. He's a very easy boy to take care of and when his personality comes out he's a joy to have around. One of those sad cases where being here is probably better for him.
daycare 04:49 PM 03-17-2011
I had a family that was lets just say was really over weight; the entire family.

The family had two kids here. 3 months and 3 years when they started.

The family asked me to start the 3 month old on jar food. I was a little in shock, but said that I would only do cereal. So they brought the food and a note of directions. They wanted me to give the 3 month old 2 jars of peahes, one jar of pears and one bowl of cereal...ooh and one 9 oz bottle just for breakfast. Im on the food program so I called my lady up and said hey can you believe this.... she said that I am not supposed to be giving him jar food yet, but if the parents ask me to then I can tell them no, or I can do it at their request. I was shocked.. i would not do it, I couldn't. Btw at his 3 month check up the kid was 24lbs.... and they thought it was so cute.

Well the 3 yr old was a huge kid too. He looked like he was 5 or 6 years old. Saddest part was that he was speach delayed.
Any ways, he was here 5 days a week, but only half day. The parents wanted him to stay for lunch and then would pick up right after lunch.

at drop off they would tell the 3 year old, if you eat your lunch today i will take you to get candy/slurpee/donughts/etc. Then the DCB would whine and say NO I want Mc Donalds. So the parents would say ok if you do good today you don't have to eat all those gross vegtables and fruits and I will take you to Mc Donalds......
Lets just say that the family did not last long here.
countrymom 05:22 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I heart Jamie Oliver

I have one family where mom cooks a nice meal every night, and then heats up some chicken nuggets for her son. Every single night. Never even offers him what they are eating. Just blows my mind!
omg do we have the same parent. Yup I have one that does the same thing and feeds them nuggets every night too, acually I have 2 families like this.
nannyde 05:33 PM 03-17-2011
I heart Jamie Oliver

I am having a big struggle with school lunch here. The school used to have a microwave, so I would send my older children to school with the same things we were eating at home and they could heat it up right there. Well, apparantly, they do not have a microwave anymore and they have no interest in replacing it or allowing one to be donated. So now I am left with the choice of sending my kids with money for the hot lunch at school, or a literal cold lunch from home. I consider myself a decent cook, and I am fairly creative, but I have not been able to come up with a heck of a lot of variety when it comes to what I can send them with. It keeps me up at night and I don't know what to do.

Sorry to derail....
I have two families that say their children will only eat or drink pure cr*p. Those are the ones I enjoy telling the most at the end of the day how much little Johnny loved his spinach or how sweet Susie couldn't get enough of her salmon. Makes me sick to think about what these kids eat at home. I have one family where mom cooks a nice meal every night, and then heats up some chicken nuggets for her son. Every single night. Never even offers him what they are eating. Just blows my mind!
Packed lunch is a pain. I am sick of it. I wish I could pay for a healthy hot meal but it doesn't exist at my ds's school.

It is hard when he wants their food too. He wants pizza and chocolate milk for breakfast. He wants their all nugget all the time food.

They probably stopped the microwave thing because it's a big liability and a time issue. Having kids heat their own food is risky. Having the adults do it is money.

Ann Cooper is doing some AMAZING work. If you look on her lunchbox site you can see that she is devloping recipes for schools with the food guidelines and paperwork already built into it........ so it's a one stop shop.

She's doing a salad bar project, managing the Boulder School Districts lunch program, farm to school, and on site food growing. She's doing all this PLUS doing a national data base of recipes for districts.

Nannyde hearts Ann Cooper and Jaime Oliver. I'm really proud of them.

Don't you wish you could just PAY for a good meal? I would happily pay five bucks a day for ds to have a healthy diet even without it being fully organic.
Meyou 02:57 AM 03-18-2011
I heart Jamie Oliver

If you can trust your kids with a good quality stainless steel thermos you can send any leftover in it hot and it will stay hot. It has to be a good quality one though. I paid about $25 each for my kids thermos's but one has been going strong for 6 years so it's a worthwhile investment (if they won't lose them). I send leftovers and soup all the time with the girls. My youngest has been know to nuke a couple of hot dogs, put them in her thermos and pack buns. lolol Get the wide mouthed ones that look like a little barrel then they can eat right out of them.
mickey2 05:30 AM 03-18-2011

apparently DCD had some pleasant things to call me yesterday when they discussed it. DCB parroted them back to me when I placed his bbq pork, green beans, blueberries and homemade stuffing in front of him. Dropped "You %^&# S! Just like daddy says." "

Dad would be getting a talking to from me!
Blackcat31 05:47 AM 03-18-2011
Well Mom and I had another discussion at pick up about his eating and the words he used at the table today. She's not surprised he started dropping f-bombs (he's 2 btw!). He apparently does it at home, gets it from DCD and they just laugh and tell him "we don't say that". She was shocked that he parroted what appeared to be DCD calling me f-ing S___. She said she's never heard DCD refer to me that way and that they both love me to bits (uh huh).

She wants to go from 2 day to 4-5 days because DCD can now work all week with a buddy doing landscaping. Hopefully they will start that in another week or two and this child will start to eat something. He's not overweight. Quite the opposite. He's 36" tall and barely 23lbs @ 2y3m. And he appears low tone, gross and fine motor delayed, and spectrumy. I base this on the fact I have 2 kids on the spectrum and EI is here 2x/wk for my own 2yo and she's made several comments about him needing an eval. Mom refuses. But he sits at home in front of the tv, has never been around other kids ever and hardly eats. Of course he's low everything. I can't believe Mom doesn't see how it's harming him. He's a very easy boy to take care of and when his personality comes out he's a joy to have around. One of those sad cases where being here is probably better for him.
A lot of times parents do not want to see what they already know to be true. There are the issues about admitting that your child has a problem, issues with the guilt that you as a parent did or did not do soemthing to cause it or they have fears of their child being labeled. Have you tried discussing this with the mom? If she is only hearing "Something is WRONG with your child." then I can understand why parents choose not to "see" the things we already know.

Plus, if he is an only child mom does not really have anyone to compare her child to as to what is normal and what is not. Could you invite her to a session of play time so she could witness the delays herself when she sees her child playing with others and can visably measure his slowness or lack of certain skills? I think that is a great way to show parents where their child should be developmentally.

Do you have information or fact sheets that you could share with her so she can see the milestones her son should have mastered by now?

I wonder why the child's physician has not noticed any delays during well-child checks?
safechner 05:48 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Packed lunch is a pain. I am sick of it. I wish I could pay for a healthy hot meal but it doesn't exist at my ds's school.
Really? I packed lunch for my girls everyday and I am not allowed them to eat lunch at school. I usually only let them choose one meal once a month at school if it is healthy. I do not want my girls to eat junk like pizza, chips, hamburger, cookies, candy, etc.
countrymom 05:51 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
If you can trust your kids with a good quality stainless steel thermos you can send any leftover in it hot and it will stay hot. It has to be a good quality one though. I paid about $25 each for my kids thermos's but one has been going strong for 6 years so it's a worthwhile investment (if they won't lose them). I send leftovers and soup all the time with the girls. My youngest has been know to nuke a couple of hot dogs, put them in her thermos and pack buns. lolol Get the wide mouthed ones that look like a little barrel then they can eat right out of them.
we have them too, and they are great. Yes they are expensive but so worth the money. I have 5 of them (I have a kid who forgets sometimes to bring his home) I put soup, nuggets, pasta, rice
Symphony 07:43 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Thank you! That is really helpful. I have sent them with soup and chili in a thermos before, but I never made that connection that it would work for other foods as well!
MG&Lsmom 09:09 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A lot of times parents do not want to see what they already know to be true. There are the issues about admitting that your child has a problem, issues with the guilt that you as a parent did or did not do soemthing to cause it or they have fears of their child being labeled. Have you tried discussing this with the mom? If she is only hearing "Something is WRONG with your child." then I can understand why parents choose not to "see" the things we already know.

Plus, if he is an only child mom does not really have anyone to compare her child to as to what is normal and what is not. Could you invite her to a session of play time so she could witness the delays herself when she sees her child playing with others and can visably measure his slowness or lack of certain skills? I think that is a great way to show parents where their child should be developmentally.

Do you have information or fact sheets that you could share with her so she can see the milestones her son should have mastered by now?

I wonder why the child's physician has not noticed any delays during well-child checks?
We see the same peds office and I'm sure based on what you fill out at the WCCs that she's just not showing the dr anything to be concerned about. He speaks really really well, but then I also notice that he just parrots a lot. He can and will produce some pretty advanced sentences (4-6 words) but that's not always a good think iykwim. Especially with the motor delays, sensory things I see, and lack of social skills. But it could all be exposure too. I'm going to start keeping good documentation of what I'm seeing and taking some video of his play skills too. He doesn't play when mom is around. He just clings. She also things his waddle run is cute.
Tags:won't eat
Reply Up