Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's For Dinner????
lil angels 04:14 AM 03-02-2011
I hate having to find something to make for dinner every night after planning the kids breakfast and lunch I am always at a loss. Now I should be pulling something out for dinner and can't think of anything to make. Anyone have any good dinner ideas??
Cat Herder 04:18 AM 03-02-2011
I am doing plain 'ole pot roast and potato's with baby Lima's and sweet cornbread tonight....

Already in the crock pot..

I am not feeling inspired....
melskids 04:21 AM 03-02-2011
usually, whatever i make for the DC lunch is dinner that night, or whatever i make for dinner, is the next days lunch.

the kids are getting leftover stew for lunch today. dinner tonight is BLT's, cause i have a class to get to by 6.
SilverSabre25 04:28 AM 03-02-2011
This week is:

Cheesy Lasagna
Fiesta Beef Enchiladas
Indian Apricot Chicken (crock-pot!)
Ovenbaked pork chops
Falafel Nuggets
dEHmom 04:34 AM 03-02-2011
tonight i'm making sloppy lasagna (basically a skillet).

Last night it was rice with peas in it, and fish.

For lunch yesterday I had NOOOOO idea what to make, and ended up with extra kids cause school was cancelled so it was cheesy rice with pork n beans mixed in. lol. I know!
squareone 04:47 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I hate having to find something to make for dinner every night after planning the kids breakfast and lunch I am always at a loss. Now I should be pulling something out for dinner and can't think of anything to make. Anyone have any good dinner ideas??

I'm with you my friend. Does anyone have any preplanned weekly or monthly dinner menus they would like to share?
cillybean83 04:50 AM 03-02-2011
today i'm faced with the task of going through my pantry, fridge, freezer, and deep freezer, and making menu plans based solely off of what we have in the house, minus bread, milk, cheese, and eggs.

we call this famine week, you eat whats here or you don't eat at all!
squareone 05:03 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
today i'm faced with the task of going through my pantry, fridge, freezer, and deep freezer, and making menu plans based solely off of what we have in the house, minus bread, milk, cheese, and eggs.

we call this famine week, you eat whats here or you don't eat at all!
I'm sure that you will end up with a feast!
DaycareMomma 05:11 AM 03-02-2011
Last night I made Italian Dunkers for supper.

Today for dinner we are doing mac and cheese and whatever else I can find in the house, we've got a birthday to celebrate and the birthday girl loves mac and cheese.

For supper tonight we're doing home made pizza! I'm going to let my two boys make it.
countrymom 05:26 AM 03-02-2011
I try and explain this to dh, I make 2 breakfasts (one for my kids at 730 and another at 830 for dcks, 2 sets of lunches-4 packed lunches for my kids and then for the dcks.)I get so tired of trying to find something for dinner. And when i ask him what I should make, he always says "well go look in the freezer" or he wants me to make hotdogs or mac and cheese, my kids hate both.
dEHmom 05:29 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I try and explain this to dh, I make 2 breakfasts (one for my kids at 730 and another at 830 for dcks, 2 sets of lunches-4 packed lunches for my kids and then for the dcks.)I get so tired of trying to find something for dinner. And when i ask him what I should make, he always says "well go look in the freezer" or he wants me to make hotdogs or mac and cheese, my kids hate both.
my dh is the same.
whatever I suggest he says no that's gross, or i had that for lunch.
so basically, he decides whats for supper everyday, and i have to wait for him to tell me what to make. Whenever i make something new he complains.

MEN!
Lilbutterflie 05:31 AM 03-02-2011
Menu planning for daycare and my own family is something I struggle with, too! It's like I just get burned out on menu planning and cooking for the daycare, I almost just don't have it in me everyday to do it for my own family too!

I'm gonna do it this week though... take it day by day. Today we are having taco night.
cillybean83 05:32 AM 03-02-2011
i hate menu planning, because either my hubby, ds, or BOTH end up whining about what i made...and eat cereal, it's like...why bother if you're not even going to eat what i cook?!
blueclouds29 05:37 AM 03-02-2011
Lately i have been so lazy about dinner. My DD is almost two, so right now she could care less on what's the menu. Every night this week i've been so lazy that i would just rather have sandwiches or just cereal. My hubby is pretty good about making dinner! After a long day with kids who wants to stand and make dinner! LOL I really need to start some crockpot meals. Heard they make things a lot easier!
MyAngels 05:45 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i hate menu planning, because either my hubby, ds, or BOTH end up whining about what i made...and eat cereal, it's like...why bother if you're not even going to eat what i cook?!
I told my family long ago that there would be NO complaining about whatever I choose to make for dinner each night, that they are fortunate to have someone who is actually willing to cook for them. If they don't care for my choices then I will gladly turn over this responsibility to them permanently (and I'd never complain about what they made, either ). They chose to eat without complaint.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 05:50 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I told my family long ago that there would be NO complaining about whatever I choose to make for dinner each night, that they are fortunate to have someone who is actually willing to cook for them. If they don't care for my choices then I will gladly turn over this responsibility to them permanently (and I'd never complain about what they made, either ). They chose to eat without complaint.
IM with you sister. I sometimes give a few choices but its usually what I feel like cooking and if you dont like it dont eat it, but guess what, if theres alot leftover, its whats for dinner tomorrow.
jessrlee 06:08 AM 03-02-2011
First thing I taught hubs "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" I make a meal in one or a main dish with a couple of sides. Everyone chooses what they want out of that or eats a big brekkie the next morning! It works really well! Our school system has "pick a better snack" day once a month and the teachers always say that only one or two kids can identify the food, have actually eaten it before, and will try anything new. Our kids are always in that group. Hubbs isn't a veggie dude but he will eat the main dish and the starch side well. As long as no one complains I don't care.
jessrlee 06:11 AM 03-02-2011
Oh, and we are having tacos and black beans tonight.
melskids 06:25 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
First thing I taught hubs "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" I make a meal in one or a main dish with a couple of sides. Everyone chooses what they want out of that or eats a big brekkie the next morning! It works really well! Our school system has "pick a better snack" day once a month and the teachers always say that only one or two kids can identify the food, have actually eaten it before, and will try anything new. Our kids are always in that group. Hubbs isn't a veggie dude but he will eat the main dish and the starch side well. As long as no one complains I don't care.
i have a sign that hangs by my stove. it says....

"open the oven and take a look. the first to complain is tomorrow night's cook!"

dEHmom 06:27 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i have a sign that hangs by my stove. it says....

"open the oven and take a look. the first to complain is tomorrow night's cook!"

I want this!!!!!!!
AnythingsPossible 06:30 AM 03-02-2011
Our family dinner menu's for the last 2 weeks;
Steak Salad, Peasant Bread
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas, Refried Beans
Breakfast Scramble, Mini Pancakes with Cherries
Chicken Quesidilla, Corn
Home Made Personal Pizza's
Ribs, Mashed Potato, Bkd Beans

Potato-white bean-ham chowder, bagel halves with cheese
Chicken Parmesean
Taco's
Chicken and Roasted Potato
Mexi-Meatball Subs
Spinach Mushroom Beef Stew, Sourdough Bread
missnikki 06:30 AM 03-02-2011
I cook a lot of chicken and fish at my house. My hubby and I both like to cook, thank goodness. He told me when we married that he wanted to make sure we had 'plate food' regularly (instead of fast food, restaurants, or frozen dinners) so the kids will grow up to know there's always something hearty at home. He said, when he was a teenager with his first car, he'd be gone all day wasting gas, but he would always come home for dinner. It probably helped that his dad was Italian and made a mean sauce...
lil angels 06:36 AM 03-02-2011
WOW anythingspossible I need to come to your house for dinner!

So do you plan everything on the weekends or how do you do it. I don't mind cooking I just can't seem to come up with the different ideas.
Lianne 06:37 AM 03-02-2011
On Monday night I made a sausage/pepper/carrot/potato bake thing with a salad. Last night was home made pizza with left over salad. Tonight is pulled pork bbq sandwiches with a ton of steamed vegetables. Tomorrow night will be baked chicken marinaded in a bunch of spices, a baked potato and steamed vegetables. Every Friday is dinner out.

Keep in mind, I'm cooking dinner just for myself. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I said the same thing....except in my situation, my DH took me up on it! But that is okay because he really likes to cook and I don't so I do not care what he cooks as long as I am not having to do it. I clean up every night after dinner so it is a win-win situation.

Last night though we had Kielbasa and sourkraut with steamed green beans and sweet rolls. Not my DS's fav but he doesn't dare complain because all he knows how to cook is Ramen noodles....
SandeeAR 06:47 AM 03-02-2011
Tonight is Church, so I have 45 min, from the time the last kiddo leaves, until I leave....so easy dinner....HOT DOG!!!!
squareone 07:01 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Our family dinner menu's for the last 2 weeks;
Steak Salad, Peasant Bread
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas, Refried Beans
Breakfast Scramble, Mini Pancakes with Cherries
Chicken Quesidilla, Corn
Home Made Personal Pizza's
Ribs, Mashed Potato, Bkd Beans

Potato-white bean-ham chowder, bagel halves with cheese
Chicken Parmesean
Taco's
Chicken and Roasted Potato
Mexi-Meatball Subs
Spinach Mushroom Beef Stew, Sourdough Bread
Thanks! This sounds great.
MyAngels 07:14 AM 03-02-2011
[quote=Blackcat31;88241]I said the same thing....except in my situation, my DH took me up on it! But that is okay because he really likes to cook and I don't so I do not care what he cooks as long as I am not having to do it. I clean up every night after dinner so it is a win-win situation.
[quote]

Oh sure, just go ahead and make me jealous .
Gurdy 07:26 AM 03-02-2011
Tacos

Hamburger Pie
Green beans
Roll

Caribbean pork stir fry
Rice

Beef stew
Artisan French bread

Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
Broccoli
Garlic Toast
MyAngels 07:33 AM 03-02-2011
Last night we had:

Grilled chicken breasts
Steamed carrots
Wild Rice

Tonight we are having:

Chicken fajitas
Salad
Strawberry shortcake for dessert

Tomorrow night it will be:

Homemade Spaghetti sauce from my freezer stash
Noodles
Salad
Whole wheat garlic bread
safechner 07:36 AM 03-02-2011
I only do preplanned the meal every weekly when I go to the grocery store every Sunday.

Last night, I made Healthified Teriyaki Pork and Mushroom Lo Mein dinner. Tonight, we are having turkey burritos and steamed veggies dinner. My husband and kids always eat dinner with no complaint.
AfterSchoolMom 07:36 AM 03-02-2011
Tonight we're having shrimp pasta with a tomato alfredo sauce.

Tomorrow, it's going to be crock pot bbq chicken (pulls apart like pork when done) on a bun with steamed veggies

Friday night we're going out, so probably mexcian.
laundrymom 09:11 AM 03-02-2011
We are having pork chops fried potatoes fruit salad and corn.
DCMom 09:21 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I said the same thing....except in my situation, my DH took me up on it! But that is okay because he really likes to cook and I don't so I do not care what he cooks as long as I am not having to do it. I clean up every night after dinner so it is a win-win situation.
You're lucky, I would love this arrangement, but if my dh took over we would live on frozen pizza!

Tonight we are having Roasted Chicken with Rosemary potatoes and green beans and the dck's will be having it for lunch tomorrow. I used to make extra at lunch for dinner, but then my family complained about having 'dc leftovers' so I switched it around and now the daycare kids have 'dinner leftovers'.
lil angels 09:43 AM 03-02-2011
I love hearing all the great dinner ideas I got out a cook book and we are having baked ziti and garlic bread and corn hay figured it out for one more day now on to Thursday boo boo.
MyAngels 10:20 AM 03-02-2011
All of these dinner ideas sound so good - now we just have to post the recipes!
GretasLittleFriends 10:30 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Tonight is Church, so I have 45 min, from the time the last kiddo leaves, until I leave....so easy dinner....HOT DOG!!!!
Sounds like this house. I'm on the church council, and tonight is council meeting night. I already told hubby we're having frozen pizza unless he wants to cook something else. This thread reminds me that I need to go down to the freezer and take out a roast to make for tomorrow nights dinner. I've been meaning to make roast all week... Tomorrow night is the night.

Roast beef
Mashed potatoes
Green beans (or corn... not sure yet)
Rolls (or biscuits)

I might get creative and make something yummy for dessert, but those who live here won't be holding their breath. Especially considering i haven't posted in the Weight Loss thread this week because I gained a pound last week.
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
You're lucky, I would love this arrangement, but if my dh took over we would live on frozen pizza!

Tonight we are having Roasted Chicken with Rosemary potatoes and green beans and the dck's will be having it for lunch tomorrow. I used to make extra at lunch for dinner, but then my family complained about having 'dc leftovers' so I switched it around and now the daycare kids have 'dinner leftovers'.
LOL!! If it were up to me we would have frozen pizza's every night too so I guess that is why DH cooks....maybe that is your problem...you are too good of a cook so he doesn't even bother. That is why my DH says he cooks is b/c he says I'm not that good at it...

I was flinging through the thread getting to the bottom to see who posted last and "roasted rosemary potatoes" caught my eye.....YUM!! Your dinner plans sound awesome!!! Your DH is loving you fer sure....
blueclouds29 01:29 PM 03-02-2011
Sometimes we even have breakfast for dinner! Tonight we are having pancakes and sausage! Yummy! Makes dinner so easy too!
SilverSabre25 01:30 PM 03-02-2011
Mmm I love breakfast for dinner. of course, I love breakfast foods but rarely feel like cooking them in the AM. I could seriously eat breakfast all day long....
littlemonkeys 02:13 PM 03-02-2011
Tonight I made it easy on myself and picked this up last night in the meat dept... Pre-seasoned chicken fajitas for a make your own burrito night.

Last night was corned beef made in the crock pot, brussel sprouts, potatoes, and a roll.

Tomorrow will probably be salsa chicken made in the crock pot? Not sure yet?
littlemonkeys 02:16 PM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
I'm with you my friend. Does anyone have any preplanned weekly or monthly dinner menus they would like to share?
I have a friend that has a notebook full of menus for a few months ahead of time and then she just rotates them. She even has all the recipes and shopping list for each week. I used to laugh at her and tease her about having too much time on her hands, but it makes sense. I'll try to see if she has a pdf file on it and I can e-mail it to you.
SilverSabre25 02:20 PM 03-02-2011
GRRRRR.

3/4 of the way through cooking dinner and I pull out a crucial ingredient (brand-new package of tortillas) and it's got a BIG patch of mold on it.

There goes that plan. Can't go get any (or you know, get anything else for dinner) because we only have one car and DH works evenings.

There are some choice words going through my head right now...several of them start with the letter "F". A couple "H"s and "D"s too.
squareone 08:14 PM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys:
I have a friend that has a notebook full of menus for a few months ahead of time and then she just rotates them. She even has all the recipes and shopping list for each week. I used to laugh at her and tease her about having too much time on her hands, but it makes sense. I'll try to see if she has a pdf file on it and I can e-mail it to you.
ooooh, I would be your friend forever!
daycare 09:16 PM 03-02-2011
Lentils, lavash bread and spinach with soy beans
Dessert red sweet bean with sugar rice and sea weed..
Super yummy!!
daycare 09:19 PM 03-02-2011
Lmao sorry im not laughing at you but that was funny..
I hate that when that happens. Oops silversaber25 that was meant for you....
It's late lol!!
Rachel 10:22 PM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Yup, we do "You get what you get and you don't get upset" not only for food, but lots of stuff.

In Hebrew there is an even cooler phrase which rhymes and translates something like "what comes is exactly what I want"
Rachel 10:25 PM 03-02-2011
If she has one I'd love to see it also!
AnythingsPossible 04:58 AM 03-03-2011
WOW anythingspossible I need to come to your house for dinner!

So do you plan everything on the weekends or how do you do it. I don't mind cooking I just can't seem to come up with the different ideas.
Friday nap time is my meal planning time for the next week. I enjoy cooking and don't enjoy having the same things over and over, so I don't mind menu planning.
If I didn't plan menu's and then grocery lists to go along with them, I would be lost at the grocery store! I would wander around and come home with soap and a loaf of bread probably. I need to have a plan!
3kidzmama 05:13 AM 03-03-2011
Oh wow, could you possibly email it to me as well???? That would be so awesome!!!
dEHmom 05:23 AM 03-03-2011
I think it should be posted in here rather than emailed, too many of us want to see that notebook i think.
momofboys 05:34 AM 03-03-2011
I have a small chicken in the crock pot with chicken broth added. After it cooks all day I will rip it apart & use the meat in different recipes. We will likely have hot chicken sandwiches & I will also make chicken enchiladas, maybe chicken & biscuits if we have enough chicken.
dEHmom 06:09 AM 03-03-2011
I am way too chicken to cook a chicken in the crockpot lol.

We buy the hutterite chickens (sorry that's not meant to be offensive thats what they are) and I just throw them in a roaster, grease up the baby and season, add about an inch of water and throw it in oven frozen for 3-5 hours. Just melts in your mouth. mmmmm
momofboys 06:36 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I am way too chicken to cook a chicken in the crockpot lol.

We buy the hutterite chickens (sorry that's not meant to be offensive thats what they are) and I just throw them in a roaster, grease up the baby and season, add about an inch of water and throw it in oven frozen for 3-5 hours. Just melts in your mouth. mmmmm
LOL . . . my husband promised to pull the meat apart for me. . . it grosses me out!
missnikki 09:00 AM 03-03-2011
Not to be a smartalec...but isn't that just called....a cookbook?
dEHmom 09:06 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Not to be a smartalec...but isn't that just called....a cookbook?
hahahahahahahaha.....

that's funny.
Symphony 09:42 AM 03-03-2011
I have a friend with a notebook like that, but she also rates each meal by what her family thought and she marks a ballpark of what the ingrediants cost. That way when she is doing her budget, she can go through and find meals that fit in how much money she has left for the week! She's crazy, but I wish I was that organized!
Meeko 12:11 PM 03-03-2011
I got tired of my family complaining about meals and I got tired of trying to figure out what to make that was quick, easy and going to be universally accepted by the whole crew (there's 6 of us)

So I sat everyone down and asked them their fave meals, hated foods etc....and we made a cycle menu just like I use for my day care kids. Now I use the cycle menu and only shop once a month instead of every week. I have saved tons of money as I buy bulk items. I also get to enjoy three weekends without shopping for groceries (I do occasionally have to grab a loaf of bread or some milk) It was work to get it all set up and functioning, but it was soooo worth it!
Tags:dinner, dinner - menu
Reply Up