Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Irritated!!
nikia 07:05 AM 03-11-2011
So I have a dcm that hasnt paid for 2 weeks. On monday she told me that she moved and couldnt find her wallet or checkbook. I said fine and let the child stay in care. I let him come tuesday after she called and said she gets paid wednesday can she bring 2 weeks worth on that day. On wednesday I was taking my kids to school and she dropped him off with my assistant, no money in hand. Wednesday mid-morning dad shows up to pick child up (the parents do not live together and were never married) so I didnt ask him for payment. Wednesday late afternoon I talk to mom and she tells me dcb wont be here the rest of the week, I say okay I will need you to drop off payment tonight. At 7:30pm I get a text that says Im still working I will drop it off on my lunch hour tomorrow. So yesterday comes and still no money.

At this point Im ticked, I need my income just like she needs hers so I am thinking about sending a text since she will not answer my call. I feel like she sent dcb to dads to avoid paying me. I am closing in 3 weeks anyway so do I let my true feelings come through on this non-payment or still try and be professional? I know that sounds harsh but I am really irritated. Any ideas on what I can say would be great
cillybean83 07:24 AM 03-11-2011
oh h*ll no.....I would be blowing up her phone with text messages, phone calls, everything....and if she shows up for daycare without money, tell jr to have fun hanging out with mom for the day!

if you keep this kid demand cash payment up front from now on!
momofboys 07:28 AM 03-11-2011
I would be VERY clear, no payment then no staying & I would include late fees. Text her & tell her her "new total" & make sure your assistant is told the child can NOT stay if they have not paid. Good luck!
DaycareMomma 08:05 AM 03-11-2011
Ha I'm sorry but I would have not even thought twice about turning her away the first time she didn't pay! I have a STRICT $5/day no payment policy and they are not allowed by into my care until it is paid in FULL.

I would send her many text messages, phone calls, everything until she pays you. She's avoiding you and assuming you will not do anything about it since you have been so nice about it so far.

Get your back bone out and have at her!
daycare 09:03 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
So I have a dcm that hasnt paid for 2 weeks. On monday she told me that she moved and couldnt find her wallet or checkbook. I said fine and let the child stay in care. I let him come tuesday after she called and said she gets paid wednesday can she bring 2 weeks worth on that day. On wednesday I was taking my kids to school and she dropped him off with my assistant, no money in hand. Wednesday mid-morning dad shows up to pick child up (the parents do not live together and were never married) so I didnt ask him for payment. Wednesday late afternoon I talk to mom and she tells me dcb wont be here the rest of the week, I say okay I will need you to drop off payment tonight. At 7:30pm I get a text that says Im still working I will drop it off on my lunch hour tomorrow. So yesterday comes and still no money.

At this point Im ticked, I need my income just like she needs hers so I am thinking about sending a text since she will not answer my call. I feel like she sent dcb to dads to avoid paying me. I am closing in 3 weeks anyway so do I let my true feelings come through on this non-payment or still try and be professional? I know that sounds harsh but I am really irritated. Any ideas on what I can say would be great
is the contract in mom or dads name?
Little People 09:04 AM 03-11-2011
I would of told her she needed to go to the bank and get a check with her child in tote.

Sounds like she is going to skip out on payment. I would not take the child back without payment and late fees.

Sorry your going through this.
nikia 09:06 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
is the contract in mom or dads name?
Moms name

She just sent me a text that said she would be here in 30 mins...... We shall see
daycare 09:15 AM 03-11-2011
I would not sugar coat anything anymore with this lady. She has abused every one of your rules and has NO respect for you, your rules, or your DC.

I am a very nice flexible person that is until you cross me. There are people that I would bend over backwards for and people that if they sneeze wrong, I would drop them in a nano second.

Don’t back down to this lady and tell her the troubles she has caused you. NO TGIF for this lady. Give it to her straight.
DaycareMomma 09:38 AM 03-11-2011
I would not allow this anymore, I have a daycare mom that I used to bend rules for because she was a good daycare mom... Well this week she has repeatedly texted me at 7:55 and said "dad will be bringing girls, I coudln't sleep last night, my neck hurts so I want the girls gone." And at 8 he'd show up with them, a full hour before their contracted time

She's pulled it twice this week. Last night she texted me while I was at a training and said "Kids will be there at 7:30 tomorrow.... Then didn't show til 8 today!
E Daycare 09:40 AM 03-11-2011
I would not sugar coat anything anymore with this lady. She has abused every one of your rules and has NO respect for you, your rules, or your DC.

I am a very nice flexible person that is until you cross me. There are people that I would bend over backwards for and people that if they sneeze wrong, I would drop them in a nano second.

Don’t back down to this lady and tell her the troubles she has caused you. NO TGIF for this lady. Give it to her straight.
To the bold: LMAO!!

To the OP Im sorry this mother has duped you. Hope you get your TGIF with some pay!!

I had to update my policy this year with MANY things. One of them is "I will take your butt to court if you dont pay".
SimpleMom 09:42 AM 03-11-2011
I wouldn't let it ruin your mood, but I WOULD term right away...today. I've dealt with this once and won't again (and that family STILL owes me over $600.00). Families pay me on Monday mornings before the week begins and that's that. If not, then the kids can't come. (sometimes, I do make prior arrangements and such and that's ok, cuz we're both on the same page with it).

three weeks and your done, three weeks more work with no pay if you keep them.
Little People 10:50 AM 03-11-2011
Did dcm come and pay you?
nikia 11:02 AM 03-11-2011
Yes she did I am rather shocked that she did
Cat Herder 11:14 AM 03-11-2011
So glad to hear it....
dEHmom 04:54 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
Yes she did I am rather shocked that she did
glad to hear she paid you.

I had a feeling since you're closing she was trying to get out of paying you for the last bit.
R&R 06:27 AM 03-14-2011
I tell providers that parents should pay ahead for care on Fridays. If a parent repeatedly pays late there should be a late fee and you should consider requiring them to set up a pay pal account with you so they can pay right online. Some food programs also offer pay pnline options for child care fees that parents can utilize.

No matter how much you love this child you need to have the respect of the parents. They should respect you. You care for their child all day long! The effect you have on their child is unbelievable. You may need to remind them of that. Have them sign a new contract and make your policies regarding payment clear.
R&R 07:54 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I would of told her she needed to go to the bank and get a check with her child in tote.

Sounds like she is going to skip out on payment. I would not take the child back without payment and late fees.

Sorry your going through this.
That would've been pretty traumatic for the child, would it not? Being turned away at the door and hustling to the bank?
How about just creating a policy to avoid thi sin the furture? Clear communication? The child shouldn't be brought into this.
R&R 07:56 AM 03-14-2011
There are people that I would bend over backwards for and people that if they sneeze wrong, I would drop them in a nano second.
I hope you treat the children fairly if not the parents. I can't imagine my provider saying this about me. I'd be afraid to leave my children with her if she'd let us go in a 'nano second'.
It's more than a business, it's most of a child's waking hours. If you don't care deeply about families or they aren't a good match, break it off so they can find someone who is.
QualiTcare 08:06 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by R&R:
That would've been pretty traumatic for the child, would it not? Being turned away at the door and hustling to the bank?
How about just creating a policy to avoid thi sin the furture? Clear communication? The child shouldn't be brought into this.
my children love going to the bank - they get dum-dums there.

seriously - what would be traumatic to the CHILD about a provider telling the PARENT they had to "hustle to the bank" before the child could stay. i think you're digging a little deep on this one.
jen 08:08 AM 03-14-2011
You've never actually done daycare have you????

Let's just say payday is Friday for the following week. Friday comes, the daycare parent "forgets" the check book. Monday comes, Dad drops off, "Oh, Mom didn't pay? I don't have a checkbook, she'll bring it at pick up."

Dad picks up, "Mom's running late, she'll pay you in the morning."

Tuesday comes, not check. A provider has the following choices:

1. No play, no play...parent goes to the bank
2. Go without pay, again. Risking that they are just going to find alternative care to avoid the late fees that are piling up.
3. Terminate

Let's eliminate option 2, we deserver to get paid. That leaves options 1 & 2...which do you think is more "traumatic" to the child.

By the way, since when is it traumatic to a child to have to run to the bank with Mom. No one said anything about being hostile to the parent.

"Hi Mom and Baby! Oh, you forgot your check? I'm sorry, but I won't be able to provide service without payment. Your total is $X, there is an ATM at ____. See you in a few!"

All smiles, all the time.

And, before you say it, YES there are parents who will come on Tuesday without payment even if you told them on Monday you wouldn't provide care without payment on Tuesday. They bank on you NOT turning them away at the door. By the way, the kids with parents like these need the stability of our care more than most. Terminating what may be the most stable situation they have in life is whats really traumatic.
Michelle 08:11 AM 03-14-2011
There are people that I would bend over backwards for and people that if they sneeze wrong, I would drop them in a nano second.
I hope you treat the children fairly if not the parents. I can't imagine my provider saying this about me. I'd be afraid to leave my children with her if she'd let us go in a 'nano second'.
It's more than a business, it's most of a child's waking hours. If you don't care deeply about families or they aren't a good match, break it off so they can find someone who is.
are you the"higher degree , unregistered, poster who has never had a home daycare before?"
daycare 08:19 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:

are you the"higher degree , unregistered, poster who has never had a home daycare before?"
lol.... the troll returns....
They are probably the problem family that would get dropped in a nano second...
daycare 08:23 AM 03-14-2011
R&R

It is sad when you have children that are as sweet as can be, but then their parents don't pay on time, they dont respect your house, your rules, your neighbors, or have any ounce of respect period.

Yes it is not the childs fault, and I do feel horrible for any child that has parents like this. It does not change the love that I have for the children, however, I don't offer free daycare or flexibility to anyone that can't respect me and my business.

Maybe you are a "BIGGER" person than me and can afford to offer free child care to disrespectful, dishonest parents....

hmmmmm

Happy Monday!!!
SilverSabre25 08:25 AM 03-14-2011
All the policies in the world don't stop parents from ignoring them. Maybe you should do daycare for a few years before trying to preach, oh sorry, "teach", about how to do daycare.

And I agree with the others...that it wouldn't be traumatic for a child to be turned away at the door because the parent didn't bring money. And even if the child was upset by it...ten minutes of being upset about something won't scar the poor kid for life. Maybe they'll learn an important lesson about paying bills when they're due...
JenNJ 08:36 AM 03-14-2011
I fail to see a trip to the bank as a traumatic experience for a child. It sounds like her communication with this parent was crystal clear. She has been more than patient and given TWO WEEKS of childcare to this client without pay. This client is giving her the runaround.

I can see how it could be potentially upsetting for the child to not be allowed into the providers home. But this is not the fault of the provider. This is 100% the fault of the parent who is refusing to pay for services already rendered. Ultimately, the child is brought into this situation bc of the parents irresponsibility.

I highly doubt that these parents can go to WalMart and put whatever they choose in the cart and kindly tell the cashier on the way out the door that they will be back next Tuesday to pay for it

Businesses need to be paid for services rendered. No matter how small the business. Anything else is STEALING. I personally think that a "no pay, no play" policy is the most effective for small home daycare.
Unregistered 08:40 AM 03-14-2011
She can always go to her bank and withdrawl cash, or ask her bank for temporary checks for her acct. She is avoiding you. I hate to say it but have you considered taking her to court?
Debbie
dEHmom 08:40 AM 03-14-2011
R&R- you posted about how you "advise" providers to have the payments on the fridays for the following week or do not provide any additional childcare until paid in full.

Then you post that it is traumatic to turn away a parent with child in hand to make a trip to the bank before dropping them off.

Example:
DCM doesn't pay friday...

Monday morning shows up, you open door, dcm say "sorry I forgot to go to bank this morning"..

What do you do?

You contradict yourself. It's obvious you do not have much if any experience in this "business".

tick tick tick
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
She can always go to her bank and withdrawl cash, or ask her bank for temporary checks for her acct. She is avoiding you. I hate to say it but have you considered taking her to court?
Debbie
The provider was already paid. Someone pulled the post back up...

I am only telling you this so I can ask you to register and stick around. I enjoy your posts and suspect you have alot of experience to offer...

It's just a hunch....
Little People 11:57 AM 03-14-2011
I stand by my post!! Then the PARENT should of had enough RESPECT to had the MONEY to pay the PROVIDER!! Then the child would not as you state have to be hustled to the bank. So it would be the PARENT that caused trauma for the child. And you are CORRECT the child should not be brought into this, and it was the PARENT who BROKE the rule, it would be the PARENT who would be at fault for causing trauma to the child for not paying the provider for HER WONDERFUL SERVICE to the parents child!!

Providers are not BABYSITTERS for parents!

As some of the other posters on here have said...you must be really young and have NO experience in childcare. I also like how you on almost every post re-word someones post. lol
daycare 11:58 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I stand by my post!! Then the PARENT should of had enough RESPECT to had the MONEY to pay the PROVIDER!! Then the child would not as you state have to be hustled to the bank. So it would be the PARENT that caused trauma for the child. And you are CORRECT the child should not be brought into this, and it was the PARENT who BROKE the rule, it would be the PARENT who would be at fault for causing trauma to the child for not paying the provider for HER WONDERFUL SERVICE to the parents child!!

Providers are not BABYSITTERS for parents!

As some of the other posters on here have said...you must be really young and have NO experience in childcare. I also like how you on almost every post re-word someones post. lol
you go sister...lol
I agree with you %... It is the parent who caused this.
nannyde 05:09 AM 03-15-2011
Nope it wouldn't be traumatic at all. It would just be a trip to the bank with Mommy. How much fun is THAT?

It's all in how you say it in front of the child. Just be cheery and say "woops little Johnny Mommy forgot to stop by the bank. You get to go to the bank with MOMMY... YAY!!!!!!! Be sure to sing the ABC song the whole way there and Twinkle Twinkle the whole way back. Don't forget to wave to the bank teller and giver her a BIG thumbs up. !!!!"

See
Tags:late payment, late payment policy
Reply Up