Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare Providers With Dogs?
IHDiesel73L 03:53 AM 03-27-2011
I was wondering how many home care providers there are that own a dog. If so, how does that affect your insurance rates? Do you need to submit to inspections from the insurance company to show that the dog stays separated from the children? We have a fully finished basement as well as a large backyard so that the children and the dog would be separated at all times (ie: when the children are in the house the dog would either be downstairs or outside, and when they are outside the dog would be inside), but I know that insurers tend to be extremely cautious with dogs involved, so it may not make a difference. I contacted a company here in NJ that specializes in insuring home daycare operations first to see what their homeowners rates are (my homeowners doesn't allow daycare on premises period), and then I'll ask about extra liability, dogs, etc...just thought I'd ask here to see what other folks' experience has been.
daysofelijah 05:33 AM 03-27-2011
We have 2 dogs (border collies) and don't have to separate them at all. No questions or issues from insurance. They did ask the breed, so some breeds may have restrictions?

The kids like the dogs, for the most part they mutually ignore each other. I don't ever leave kids alone with the dogs, of course, and I don't have the dogs outside with us when we are outside. Mostly because my dogs are herders and the instinct to herd little running children sometimes takes over.
DCMom 05:50 AM 03-27-2011
I two ShihTzu's, both under 15lbs. One likes it downstairs with the kids, the other prefers to be upstairs away from them. For the most part they come and go as they please.

The insurance company asked on the application if I had a dog (at the time I only had 1), asked the breed and that was it. It has never been an issue.
Unregistered 06:35 AM 03-27-2011
We have 2 dachsunds and a lab and have never been asked about it by our insurance co. The dachsunds have an indoor play area upstairs that they are in during daycare hours and the lab is outside but all are child friendly - the kids have been around them at times and they just love the little dachsunds it's just a preference of mine to have them in their confined area and not running around the house with the kiddos.....they come out at closing when the rest of the family is home
ammama 07:27 AM 03-27-2011
I have a german shepherd cross (crossed with a lab, we think, but she is mostly shepherd). I'm in Canada, but our insurance doesn't care about the dog at all. I don't keep her separated, the kids love her, she mostly ignores them.
nannyde 08:30 AM 03-27-2011
I have two teddy bear puppies and they are never left to free range around the kids. The kids pet them when we are holding them. I just have them pet the backside of them and wag their tales at them for "tail time". I don't allow them to hold them or play with them.

The dogs are super sweet and nice but I just don't trust them. I have never had a dog I trusted around the kids.
treehugger82 10:11 AM 03-27-2011
I have been thinking about this lately, how to separate the dogs/kids when I open in May. I have kids now who are family, but they have always been around my dogs and are never unsupervised around them. Most of the time the dogs ignore the kids, but I still don't feel comfortable having dck and dogs in the house. Never thought about the insurance angle. Def. something to think about. I was thinking more along the lines of my sanity and parent's peace of mind. My dogs are VERY used to kids, since they have been raised with my 3, but I was also thinking that some kids may not know how to "nicely" pet a dog, which could be a concern....I heard a story one time about a dck who stabbed a pencil in the providers' dogs' ear and the dog bit the child. Was absolutely a horrible situation for all involved. Anyway...seem to have gotten of topic a bit here..lol. But glad to read how everyone else handles the dog/dck situation.
Checkinkids.com 02:12 PM 03-27-2011
I don't recommend dogs in a daycare. We had a nice Sheltie that was very friendly. We had the daycare in our home at the time and did not let the dog in the day care rooms very often and never unsupervised. She had been around kids plenty, and was always very calm. But one day, I was there with the dog on a leash that I was holding and letting the children pet her. One of the children suddenly tackled her while trying to give her a hug and she nipped and broke the skin. The Mom handled it very well but we have never even let a dog near the daycare since. Just too much at stake.
IHDiesel73L 02:27 PM 03-27-2011
Thanks for the replies-our dog is a 15 month old chocolate lab who loves kids, but I wouldn't be comfortable having him around kids my wife was taking care of if we could avoid it simply because kids are kids and dogs are dogs. I was more curious about the insurance company's view-every company is different of course, but it sounds like most companies are tolerant of dogs in the home.
Cat Herder 03:41 PM 03-27-2011
I have Golden Retrievers and my insurance company rep said that it did not constitute a risk in their opinion. My inspector brings chewy treats for them so I am fairly confident she likes them a bit

I did ask what breed would be viewed as a risk and the rep told me that if I had a German Sheppard, Pit Bull or Rottweiler they would have to cancel me....

My state agrees with them and added ferrets, boas, pet rats or any other "infectious or poisonous" animal.

As a weird side note horses cannot be housed/kept within 500 ft of a Home daycare.....
Live and Learn 04:25 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I have Golden Retrievers and my insurance company rep said that it did not constitute a risk in their opinion.
This is our family too!
But just to be on the safe side I do not allow dogs around dc kids period.
AnythingsPossible 04:47 AM 03-28-2011
For those of you who don't let your dogs around the kids, what do you do with them all day? My dog has always had free run of the house, but as she is getting older, I have been thinking it would be best if she wasn't, however, I don't want to crate her as she never has been before. I could gate her off in the downstairs section so she still has our room and the room with her food, I just worry her attitude would get worse if all of a sudden she is seperated all day.
Lianne 07:26 AM 03-28-2011
I have a small dog, a 15lbs terrier/poodle who is 5yrs old. I also have three cats of my own and foster kittens for the SPCA. My animals are around the children as they wish to be. I do lock the kittens up as needed for their safety and my sanity but I will not lock my own up. This is their home. Potential clients meet the animals when they interview and it's their choice to sign on or not.
Zoe 07:55 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
For those of you who don't let your dogs around the kids, what do you do with them all day? My dog has always had free run of the house, but as she is getting older, I have been thinking it would be best if she wasn't, however, I don't want to crate her as she never has been before. I could gate her off in the downstairs section so she still has our room and the room with her food, I just worry her attitude would get worse if all of a sudden she is seperated all day.
I've struggled with this too. I have 2 dogs; a lab mix and a Pomeranian. The Pom can't be trusted with the kids because she's so small and gets intimidated around little ones who don't know how to handle dogs. She has been known to nip to defend herself. I don't want to "punish her" by separating her all day but it's a safety thing.

I was thinking about putting her in my kitchen where I have a see-through mesh gate. This way I can pay attention to her during the day since I'm right there and she's separated from the kiddos. To me, that's better than putting her in a room where she can't see us. She goes crazy when that happens.

Maybe you could find a place that is like a haven for your dog. Food, water, a nice bed, some toys. Take him out during nap time and have some quality time with him. That sort of thing.

Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have a small dog, a 15lbs terrier/poodle who is 5yrs old. I also have three cats of my own and foster kittens for the SPCA. My animals are around the children as they wish to be. I do lock the kittens up as needed for their safety and my sanity but I will not lock my own up. This is their home. Potential clients meet the animals when they interview and it's their choice to sign on or not.
For my lab mix, she stays out because she is the most gentle dog and loves kids. They could lay on her and she wouldn't budge (not that I let them of course, but it has happened with my DS3). People know that I have dogs, I love them, they're a part of my family. Those who don't love dogs would not be a good fit for me.
Danielle 07:57 AM 03-28-2011
We're an animal loving household. We have 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 rats. The rats obviously stay in their cage...more for their own safety. lol The cats are around the kids as they wish. They are very child friendly and just hide when they have had enough. Our little dog, mini dachshund, is also extremely child friendly. She loves the kids and the kids love her. She also hides when she's had enough. Our big dog is still really young. And despite the fact that she's about 50lbs, she believes she's the size of our little dog. She doesn't get that walking to close to a little kid might knock them over. For this reason, she's confided to the kitchen, her crate or outside (dogs have their own yard) during daycare hours.
cillybean83 08:36 AM 03-28-2011
I have a terrier mix and a chihuahua...they aren't allowed in the playroom but they have free run of the rest of the house, which means during pickup, they're right at the door waiting to get loved on by parents!
Danielle 08:49 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I have a terrier mix and a chihuahua...they aren't allowed in the playroom but they have free run of the rest of the house, which means during pickup, they're right at the door waiting to get loved on by parents!
Sounds like our little! She's always waiting at the door with her tail just a wagging. She thinks people only come over to love on her.
Lilbutterflie 09:24 AM 03-28-2011
We have an Anatolian Shepherd/Golden Retriever Mix so we are told (we adopted him). Our insurance carrier did ask the breed, but no other questions. It is not an issue for them.

I have never seen a dog better suited to be around children than our dog. He is ultra mellow, and he has self-appointed himself to be their guardian. When we are outside, he makes sure all kids are in his view at all times. In the house, he's always laying down in the room with the kids. If the kids are laying on him or doing something he doesn't like, he just licks them like crazy until they stop. Just like a mother dog would do with her puppies. I am actually thinking of getting him certified as a therapy dog b/c I feel as if this is what he is meant to be. Then from there I'd like to take him to children's hospitals or convalescent homes as a therapy dog.
Unregistered 10:37 AM 03-28-2011
We have a dog; small Jack Russell. Before I started daycare I had him professionally trained so I knew he would mind me. He is really lazy actually so he sleeps most of the day in a dog bed in our living room. We play downstairs most of the time so the kids and dog don't interact much. The kids are allowed to pet him but only after asking and I monitor it. I have had to talk to them about not feeding him (ie purposefully putting food on the floor for him). All the kids know this makes dogs sick and dont test this limit anymore. He is out of the kitchen for all meals but once the kids go to bed I invite him in to help clean up their messes. LOL! Everyday one child gets to give the dog a treat after he goes outside in the AM. We rotate whos turn it is and they love doing it! I even had one mom sign up at my house because their child was afraid of dogs and they thought it would help to have positive interactions with such a cool laid back dog.

Insurance never asked me about a dog so I never mentioned it. I live in MN- if that matters.
happykidschildcare 01:37 PM 03-30-2011
We have 4 dogs... 2 dachunds, 1 jack russell & a boston terrier.
during dc hours they are usually put outside or in the laudry/mudd room.
Though there are mornings that the jrt curls up w. kids in the front room.
I tell all the parents that we have pets before they even come to interview.
Another thing, I dont have INSURANCE, its recommended but not mandatory.
I do have provisions in my PHB that state in case of accidents/injurys the parents are financially responsible. I try to cover my butt in the PHB, in my 6+ years, Ive had 2 kids need stitches & 1 broken arm, which I took the kids in the walk in but the parents were billed on their insurance. Never had any issues with it.
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up