Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Specify The Style Of Shoe You Prefer?
SilverSabre25 04:51 AM 03-28-2011
Such as closed-toe, velcro shoes?

Do parents actually respect this request?
Meyou 04:55 AM 03-28-2011
No flip flops under age 3 and no laces on sneakers. Other than that I don't care what they wear. I have had no problems with getting proper footwear for my kidlets. There have been a few days here and there that someone came in cutesy shoes but they either get destroyed or the child complains to the parents about them themselves. lol It's no fun not being able to keep up with your friends!
jessrlee 05:01 AM 03-28-2011
Lol, yes I am very picky about shoes. I make it very clear that the kids will not be able to participate outside in flip flops, crocs, or anything but closed toe sneakers or sandals. Sandals must secure to the foot with back and top velcro straps and FIT!
dEHmom 05:22 AM 03-28-2011
I've had to tell a mom before to change her sons shoes to ones he can get on and off himself.

He was 3 yo and big boy. And I would have to force his foot into them, and then tie them up. And the laces were short.

So the next day he had velcro shoes
nannyde 05:23 AM 03-28-2011
I provide the shoes. I like Keds velcro shoes.
Meeko 05:34 AM 03-28-2011
They only wear shoes when we are outside anyway! No shoes allowed indoors! Keeps my carpets sooooo much cleaner. Same rule goes for parents....shoes come OFF if they want to step one foot off the entrance wood floor.
dEHmom 05:52 AM 03-28-2011
i allow kids to wear shoes in my house depending on whether they are clean or not.

Me personally in the summer, I always keep on my flip flops. I never take them off. But i don't have carpet in my house, so the sand sticks to my feet, and ew. Then it ends up on the couch, in the beds etc. So if we keep shoes on and then I just sweep at the end of the day before taking shoes off it's better.

But I also have outdoor shoes for kids like the boots and such. if it's raining then shoes come off of course. if it's muddy the same.
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 03-28-2011
In the winter months, I require snowboots. In the spring, I require puddle boots and for the rest of the time, No sandals, flip flops or Crocs. I require lace up tennis shoes. I do not allow velcro close shoes because the velcro gets dirty and does not maintain a secure closure so the shoes come off or won't stay closed.

ALL my parents respect this rule and wait for me to tell them when it is time to switch up the type of shoe required (ex. when to go from wearing snow boots to puddle boots etc) If the child arrives in shoes that are not appropriate, they cannot stay.

Alot of parents let their child wear flip-flops, sandals and/or Croc to daycare but keep a good pair of lace up tennis shoes in their cubbies.
Lianne 07:33 AM 03-28-2011
No flip flips, back strap required on sandals. No buckles on sandals, velcro only. No laced up shoes unless I deem the child capable of tying them. Crocs are ok as long as they fit properly. Any summer footwear must be able to get wet. We wear our sandals when playing in the water.
youretooloud 07:40 AM 03-28-2011
I PREFER sandals or flip flops, or even crocs. But, I'd never specify.

I might look excited or gush over the new flip flops. "Oooh, those are wonderful... I think I love those new shoes!". I figure, they'll want to wear them more often if I do.

I have one child who wears tennies and socks every day, and I kinda hate them.
cillybean83 08:37 AM 03-28-2011
i don't care...a shoe is a shoe is a shoe...they're only worn when we play outside, and in summer they're in and out of the sprinkler so the shoes get ripped off anyway
Greenshadow 09:19 AM 03-28-2011
Wow. I dont care what shoes the kids wear. I am really not that interested in their shoes anyway. As long as they fit and arent too big or too small. I dont micro manage that much of my daycare all the way down to what type of shoes the kids wear. That seems alittle much. As long as they are safe, why do I care if they are laces or velcro? If they untie, tie them. It takes less than a minute to do. Velcro wears out too so it can be just as unsafe, I guess, as laced shoes. Personally, I hate veclro and Im never going to make my parents buy a certain type of shoe to come to care.
squareone 09:48 AM 03-28-2011
My contract says:

Shoes should be comfortable and provide adequate protection for the feet during outdoor play. Flip-flops, slip-on shoes, and open-toed sandals are prohibited as they present a safety hazard.

If a child shows up in the wrong type of shoes, they will go outside but have to sit by me the whole time. At pickup, I will tell the mom that Sam had on open-toe shoes so he could not play and to please make sure he wears proper footwear tomorrow.

I REALLY want to require velcro or pull-on shoes until the child can tie but haven't so far. True, it only takes a couple of seconds to tie shoes but when you have to do it multiple times on multiple children all day long it gets old quick! And I hate to tie double knots because when it comes time to take the shoes off, the knots become a hot, tangled mess. Plus, with velcro, everyone can put on their own shoes and it makes dressing and undressing sooooo much quicker.
jen 10:02 AM 03-28-2011
Nope, I've had kids show up in little heels before.
daycare 10:15 AM 03-28-2011
Yes no flip flops or open toe shoes. Shoes that tie are usually shoes thT get tied in knots. I ask for shoes that the kids can manage will minimal help
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
My contract says:

Shoes should be comfortable and provide adequate protection for the feet during outdoor play. Flip-flops, slip-on shoes, and open-toed sandals are prohibited as they present a safety hazard.

If a child shows up in the wrong type of shoes, they will go outside but have to sit by me the whole time. At pickup, I will tell the mom that Sam had on open-toe shoes so he could not play and to please make sure he wears proper footwear tomorrow.

I REALLY want to require velcro or pull-on shoes until the child can tie but haven't so far. True, it only takes a couple of seconds to tie shoes but when you have to do it multiple times on multiple children all day long it gets old quick! And I hate to tie double knots because when it comes time to take the shoes off, the knots become a hot, tangled mess. Plus, with velcro, everyone can put on their own shoes and it makes dressing and undressing sooooo much quicker.
I agree that for me I require specific shoes because I want the kids to be as safe as possible while playing in my care....not because I am micro-managing their lives. I have had enough stubbed toes and scrapes and cuts to last me a life time and when I have to continually stop and velcro-dirty unstickable velcro strips or readjust someones sandal when we try to take a walk that just takes away the whole point of a walk for the rest of them, especially when I have 10-12 kids and if I stop once for each of them, I may as well just not go for a walk at all. It sort of goes back to the whole gym rule when we were kids.....we were required to have appropriate gym shoes when in gym for a reason so I see no difference here.

If your child wants to wear flip-flops or Crocs while running and swinging, sliding or playing on the playground....do it on your time not mine. Kids who are under 5 don't always have the large motor control to run safely let alone putting sandals on them and expecting them to play a "safe" game of tag!
jessrlee 11:19 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
Wow. I dont care what shoes the kids wear. I am really not that interested in their shoes anyway. As long as they fit and arent too big or too small. I dont micro manage that much of my daycare all the way down to what type of shoes the kids wear. That seems alittle much. As long as they are safe, why do I care if they are laces or velcro? If they untie, tie them. It takes less than a minute to do. Velcro wears out too so it can be just as unsafe, I guess, as laced shoes. Personally, I hate veclro and Im never going to make my parents buy a certain type of shoe to come to care.
Because when a child is in your care you are responsible. It is soooo easy for a child to really hurt themselves in open toe, non secured shoes. I would much rather request safe shoes than take a child to the emergency room.

I just went through my files. I had SIX (6) incident reports last year from unsafe footwear. I started the policy in September. So far not one incident report of any kind.
daycare 11:27 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Because when a child is in your care you are responsible. It is soooo easy for a child to really hurt themselves in open toe, non secured shoes. I would much rather request safe shoes than take a child to the emergency room.

I just went through my files. I had SIX (6) incident reports last year from unsafe footwear. I started the policy in September. So far not one incident report of any kind.
very true. Not to mention that if you go to the park, flip flops and open toe shoes are very dangerous. Lat year I wore flip flops to our park while on an outing with the kids. There were wood chips there and a wood chip went through my flip flop and right into the heel of my foot. I looked like I was dying from the trail of blood. I was in a lot of pain and ended up with a huge infection in my foot, becuase I could not remove the splinter completley. I was very thankful it happend to me and not one of the kids.

so after that experience I dont allow any more flip flops or open toe shoes of any kind.
Greenshadow 11:43 AM 03-28-2011
Ive had ONE incident in the last 5 years. I guess Ive just always had kids that dont trip or wear unsafe shoes. LOL.
Live and Learn 11:47 AM 03-28-2011
I specify closed toe walking shoes. I don't care if they have laces or Velcro.

I am closed for the summer so bare feet, flip flops, and crocs aren't shoe options I have to deal with. I make mention of this "closed toe" policy in my first interview and remind everyone again each spring.

....I don't think my dc parents feel micro managed in anyway. I have their child's safety in mind. If they felt micro managed then I probably wouldn't be full with a waiting list with the highest daily rates in my area. KWIM? Besides anyone who would feel micro managed over safe children's shoes wouldn't be a good fit for me.
Hunni Bee 05:11 PM 03-28-2011
We ban all open-toe or open-back shoes...no flip flops, sandals, "crocs", certain girl's dress shoes or any shoes that cannot be fastened and/or dont fit onto the child's foot. We have stairs and a blacktop play area...so thats important.

I would like to also ban forever the following items:

Shoes with shoe strings
Boxer-style underwear
Pampers Easy-Ups
Belts
Pants that require belts
Pants that hang more than 1/2" below the child's heel
Clothing made by designers other than Garanimals, Okie Dokie, Circo, etc because I dont care for clothes, I care for children

Greenshadow 06:10 PM 03-28-2011
I guess its just me then. Crocs and/or sandals dont always cause accidents. A regular pair of shoes can cause an accident. Having no shoes on can cause an accident. Isnt that why they call them accidents to begin with? I think we can try to prevent everything but at some point we just have to let things go. I mean, seriously, you tell your daycare parents that in the Summertime their children cant come in sandals because the might trip or fall down? That can happen at any time with any shoe. In the years Ive done care, I cant say a single child has ever gotten hurt because of the type of shoe they've worn. Ever. So I guess its just me. Just seems a bit overboard.
SilverSabre25 03:56 AM 03-29-2011
Greenshadow, I'm more considering it for my own convenience--tie shoes on kids too young to deal with the ties themselves take too long, flip-flips fly off, sandals get mulch and small stones in them...all those things require my involvement to fix the problem (except the flip flops, but that can just be dangerous). Velcro shoes can be done independently by most children from a young age, and that's a large part of my goal--getting children to be independent.
Cat Herder 04:29 AM 03-29-2011
I am a shoe stickler.

I live in a heavily wooded area with yellow jackets, venomous spiders, fire ants and deer ticks.

So do all of my DCP's, it is our region and is not a big deal when you apply a hefty dose of common sense.

Since we are also located in the watershed region we cannot use broad area pesticides outdoors.

For those reasons, I require two pairs of closed toe shoes, per child, year round.

I also require snake boots for creek play and water shoes for sprinkler play.

These are very common requests here.

I do not allow lights, sirens, bells, whistles, removable parts or animal sounds of any kind.

The main reason is that they annoy me but also make the child a constant target for torment from the other kids.

It is like pinning a "kick me" sign on your junior high student and sending them to school....
Live and Learn 06:44 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I also require snake boots .....

I do not allow lights, sirens, bells, whistles, removable parts or animal sounds of any kindl....

EEEEK! Do tell!!! What on Earth are snake boots? I guess we are sheltered up here in the drippy Pacific NW!
Cat Herder 07:11 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:

EEEEK! Do tell!!! What on Earth are snake boots? I guess we are sheltered up here in the drippy Pacific NW!
Sure!! They are just waders that help limit risk while playing or learning science in the river and marsh when we go...
Attached: toddlerwaders1.jpg (61.6 KB) safe waders2.jpg (16.6 KB) safe waders1.jpg (26.0 KB) 
Live and Learn 07:20 AM 03-29-2011
Thumbnail #1.....
what a cutie.

Glad I don't need to worry about snakes in my water though!
.....of course I can see Mt St Helens from my back deck!
Cat Herder 07:28 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Thumbnail #1.....
what a cutie.

Glad I don't need to worry about snakes in my water though!
.....of course I can see Mt St Helens from my back deck!
You can keep the volcanoes, tsunamis and earthquakes. I'll stick with the snakes, ants and hornets....

FTR, I do take a minimum 3 adults (2 kids/1 adult ratio) with us when we venture past my fenced in playgrounds....

Sadly it is not a requirement.

Back on topic, though. Proper, safe footwear IS important for many reasons.
MsMe 07:31 AM 03-29-2011
Every year I have to talk with the families that while it is great that their children have new and high priced shoes (I live in a an area where apperance is EVERYTHING) my back yard is WELL LOVED+very shaded and I have many areas where the grass is very thin and at the end of summer gone completly. If it rains and children dont have 'play' shoes we can't go outside.

Another pet peeve are those really cute slipper/shoes for babies new walkers. I have a 19mo old who loves to run around but all her mother every brings are slippers!! Even after being asked to provide real shoes!
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 03-29-2011
Wearing proper shoes is a fundamental element in maintaining the correct walking technique, as well as preventing injury. Shoes are tools. Without the correct tools, you are likely to hurt yourself, making you more prone to suffer further and more severe injuries in the future. .

Biomechanics refers to the internal and external forces of the human body, and the manner in which these forces affect the human body. This means every movement that your foot makes in the act of walking affects other parts of your body. If your shoes don't provide the necessary support for the arches and heels, they prevent essential range of motion in the foot. When your feet are not able to function properly, other parts of your body must overcompensate. When your body overcompensates, it is common to suffer from pain in the heels, ankles, knees, hips and lower back. The pain in these joints can then lead to weakness and further injury

While the media is promoting the regular wear of flip flops in pop culture, the same media, in other outlets, is reporting health problems connected to the regular wearing of these flat, non-supporting footwear products. To make matters worse, these health problems are happening to children, at very young ages.

Children who wear flip flops more than they should, which means that they are not just wearing them at the beach or around swimming pools, are experiencing health issues. Some are complaining of aching feet, sore knees, and lower back pain. The concern is that these children are wearing unsupported footwear, sometimes on a daily basis.
Wearing unsupported footwear takes its toll on the spinal area. The real culprit is that postural distortions are created when the spine is not in perfect alignment. Flip flops, basically, toss the alignment of the spine, out of whack. These distortions to proper posture cause pain in the lower and upper torso areas, the knees, and even the toes.

This pain is caused because the the extensive neural network that sends messages to and from the brain is interrupted by the imbalance of the spine. The natural electrical impulses can handle short time periods of distortion, but it does not do well with longer blocks of time. This is the main reason why the wearing of flip flops is causing distress and health issues.

Young Child (Vol.2 Issue 4, 06/2009)
Greenshadow 07:57 AM 03-29-2011
Im not saying that certain living conditions would require certain shoes. Im just saying! In a normal neighborhood heading to a normal little park down the road where there are no snakes or forest critters that might harm a child, I dont really care if the child wears sandals or crocs! I am not their parent and I am not a pushover either with the kids I care for but Im also not that anal. I mean, I get in my car everyday and drive. I could wreck. Thats a risk I take. These are kids wearing sandals in green grass to play in. Obviously you use precautions if you were to take them somewhere where sandals wouldnt be appropriate, like the park with the ground covering that could hurt a child. Obviously you know ahead of time that you are going there so maybe say something to the parent about that possibility that the child could harm his feet if he doesnt wear closed toed shoes. Im just talking daily care. Walking down the street to the little park. I wouldnt make a child sit by me and watch the other children play and not be able to participate because they wore sandals to the park. That seems a bit much to me, unless of course, like I said earlier, its the park with the ground covering that hurts. Maybe if there are providers that are this strict with shoes, you should keep some extras on hand for when parents forget or just dont want to bring them in tennis shoes and think its their judgement call to put them in sandals. Just saying. Lets agree to disagree. I think people need to loosen up just a little bit here. I understand that shoes are important, yadda yadda yadda. Dont buy used shoes. I got all that. But come on.
happykidschildcare 01:22 PM 03-30-2011
One of the first things my kids learn @ my daycare is SHOES & Jackets off & hang them up. I dont allow kids to wear shoes in house.
WINTER I request rain boots easy on & off and we get lots of rain & snow SUMMER I request watersocks
Not all the parents comply...but its nice when they do
Tags:offtopic - shoe styles, shoe type, shoes, walking
Reply Up