Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pissed Off Parent
exorotika 07:20 PM 07-12-2011
my daughter is 9, attends kidz co at pantano/golflinks
she returned home with bruises on her back from falling from a slide
i was not notified and the "teacher" looked at it and said it's ok
my daughter is now lying on the couch in pain with ice on her back

what should and can be done?
I've already called and left a pretty good sized voicemail demanding this 'new' teacher lose her job over this.
PolarCare 08:15 PM 07-12-2011
A 9 year old got a bruise while participating in a fun activity on a piece of playground equipment? The INHUMANITY!!!!

I hope they boil that provider in oil. Or at least tar and feather her. She should be clapped in irons and put in a stockade out in front of the center so the other children can spit on her as they pass.
littlemissmuffet 08:32 PM 07-12-2011
I can't tell you how many times my kids fall in a day and I check them over and say... "it's ok", give a kiss and a hug and we all carry on with our day. The bruise wasn't immidately apparent to her teacher. Though I think the teacher should have told you about it, one way or another... she has a bazillion things to do each day, many children to tend to in a day - and it likely slipped her mind.

She will most definitely not lose her job for this. And you are absolutely WRONG for wanting her to lose her job based on this one severely minor incident.

If you acted this over the top in front of your daughter, she's probably milking the attention from her her injury...
cheerfuldom 08:33 PM 07-12-2011
I think you need to remain calm and get all the information from the teacher and program director and take your daughter into the doctor if you are that concerned about a serious injury. The important thing right now is that you make sure your daughter is okay and you approach the issue in a mature way in order to get a resolution (this will be easier without getting overemotional)
Unregistered 08:51 PM 07-12-2011
before you post again. Getting online instead of getting medical attention is silly.

A nine year old fell from how high? Get the whole story. Make sure SHE knows to get you on the phone if ANYTHING happens.

The ER will get the story, document, and help you determine the right course of action.

Broken ribs? Fractures? Never neglect an injury for the benefit of the doubt, always contact an MD. Better safe than sorry and you DIDN"T see what happened.
jessrlee 09:22 PM 07-12-2011
this is exactly why eventually playground equipment will be outlawed from childcare. eventually there will be no playgrounds because people can't accept that little darling just might get hurt. dd cracked her head open the first day of school. I didn't call for heads to roll, I took her in and got her put back together! Kids are kids! they will have no way of assessing risk if we don't let them experience low level risk as kids!

btw- I do know proper capitalization. I am using hubs computer and the shift key only works with certain letters
familyschoolcare 09:46 PM 07-12-2011
Sorry this is bothering you so much.

At nine I think any adult (day care provider or parent) would assume that if the child was hurt enough to require more or additional first add than offered they would speak up. That is most nine year old children would let you know when something is wrong.

Now between that and the fact that it is very common for some injuries to get worse 2-24 hours after the event, there might not have been anything else that the center could have or should have done at the time.

One time when I worked at a private school and child care center we had a middles school child fall off a swing and take herself to the office for an ice pack, where she was asked about what happened and if she needed anything else. The child said no. A report was sent home to mom. The next day mom came in very mad at "us" saying the child was in soo much pain she could not sleep. The mom was threatening to sue, saying "we" did not do enough for the child. The mom told the director she was taking the child to the doctor and then she would call a lawyer. The director asked the mom to please call and let us know what the doctor says. When the mom came to pick up her younger children, she apologized. The doctor had told her that their was nothing else "we" the center could have done for her that their was no way of knowing that her back was that bruised until several hours after the fact, and that the only treat that would have helped and not hurt was an ice pack.

Any way I know you are frustrated and want to help your daughter. If she need to see a doctor then take her to a doctor. If she does not need to see a doctor then I think you might be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Now with all of that said you should not have heard about the fall from your daughter. BTW did you ask your daughter how long/soon before you picking her up the fall occurred.
mac60 03:25 AM 07-13-2011
To expect a provider to "report" each and every little thing that happens on the playground with a group of children is rediculous. You are a providers worst nightmare. Maybe you need to consider being a stay at home mommy so you can sit by her side 24/7.
laundrymom 04:16 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
To expect a provider to "report" each and every little thing that happens on the playground with a group of children is rediculous. You are a providers worst nightmare. Maybe you need to consider being a stay at home mommy so you can sit by her side 24/7.

laundrymom 04:18 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I found the " like " button !!!!!!
Meyou 04:47 AM 07-13-2011
You'd probably wrap my 7 year old in bubble wrap if she was yours....bruises from head to toe. lol
mac60 05:45 AM 07-13-2011
I have seriously considered terming a family a couple years ago, as each and everytime that had anything from a mosquito bite to an unknown scratch I would be questioned. It got to be very old and very stressful. One day the mom walks in, she always gets into the face of her kids, now 3 and 4. One particular day she did this at pickup, she looks at me and says "What happened under his eye?", I looked at him and said "What?", I could see nothing while standing there looking at him, I had to get down on my knees and put my face to his before I could "see" what ever "it" was. There was a tiny mark/scratch/shadow, hell I don't know what it was......but is was not visible unless you put your face to his.....I decided at that time I was not going to put up with this crap. Kids are kids, will be kids, etc. To expect them to attend daycare with out getting a boo boo, a scratch, a scrape, etc is assinine and unrealistic, she finally stopped doing this to an extent, and they are still here. I started to pretty much ignore her comments and just say "who knows, they played outside today". Funny thing, the kids whose parents question every little thing, are usually the parents of the hellions.
dEHmom 09:45 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by exorotika:
my daughter is 9, attends kidz co at pantano/golflinks
she returned home with bruises on her back from falling from a slide
i was not notified and the "teacher" looked at it and said it's ok
my daughter is now lying on the couch in pain with ice on her back

what should and can be done?
I've already called and left a pretty good sized voicemail demanding this 'new' teacher lose her job over this.
wouldn't it make more sense for your daughter to stop attending? rather than this person lose their job?

also, accidents happen. and if you handle it incorrectly, you are risking your daughters happiness. if this was a school teacher and you responded in this way, you are putting her in a position where the teacher will no longer like her, and you, and now her education would be at risk.

I understand as a parent you will defend your child. But honestly, I don't think demanding a termination for that "teacher" is even a reasonable request. If the teacher was the cause of the injuries then sure.
daycare 09:59 AM 07-13-2011
I know it’s hard to see your child in pain and being a mother we go into protection mode. However, I think that you need to calm down and go about this the right way.

First off, there are things that happen daily that just aren't preventable. Like when you trip over the door jam, fall when playing outside and so on.

If I were to try to get anyone fired from when my kids were growing up, the entire school would have to have been fired.
My daughter had her two teeth knocked out at recess; my son had his arm broken when he fell off the top of the slide. Bottom line is that kids will get hurt when they play no matter what you try to do to prevent it.

We have to allow for the kids to be kids and play. Of course I can't stop a child from jumping off the top of a play gym; all I can do is my best to tell them not to. No matter how many eyes are on a child, some children will push the limits and some will just accidentally fall. No one intends for it to happen and this is why it is called an accident.

You also have to accept that this is life’s lesson of natural consequences when a kid falls and gets hurt. Tough lesson to have to learn some times..

Unless you want your child in a bubble, I think you need to accept that children will fall, they will get a cut, bruise, bump, possible broken bones, scrapes and so on....

Unless an adult came over and pushed your child off of the play gym, I don't think its reason to lose their job.

If your daughter is in that much pain, I would take her to the doc to make sure that she did not fracture or break any bones... Sorry she's in pain...
youretooloud 10:13 AM 07-13-2011
You mean, the teacher allowed the children to go OUTSIDE? I'm assuming this was without a helmet and bubble wrap?

This makes me so mad too! No good can ever come from children playing outside! Especially on nonsense like slides.... what's next? Swings? Balls? OMG!

That is what's wrong with the world today... too many kids are going outside. They should be sitting on the couch with a game controller in their hands and eating oreos.

Sending the kids outside is just lazy. It's an excuse for the teachers to stand around and socialize and tell the kids "Go Play".

OK.. all sarcasm aside..... I hope she doesn't have any serious injuries. But, bruises, scrapes etc are normal parts of childhood. Kids who aren't allowed bruises should not be sent to group activities, and honestly should just be kept inside. My daughter heard "suck it up buttercup" a lot as a child. If it's bruises and scrapes, she'll be fine, and hopefully not do whatever she did to cause herself pain.
youretooloud 10:18 AM 07-13-2011
Sigh... I have more.

I honestly think you should call the school and apologize for demanding a teacher be fired for this. I think it's absolutely absurd that you did that.

Being upset for your daughter is one thing. Demanding a teacher be fired because she didn't call you when she fell is something completely different. It's a huge overreaction.
daycare 10:20 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
You mean, the teacher allowed the children to go OUTSIDE? I'm assuming this was without a helmet and bubble wrap?

This makes me so mad too! No good can ever come from children playing outside! Especially on nonsense like slides.... what's next? Swings? Balls? OMG!

That is what's wrong with the world today... too many kids are going outside. They should be sitting on the couch with a game controller in their hands and eating oreos.

Sending the kids outside is just lazy. It's an excuse for the teachers to stand around and socialize and tell the kids "Go Play".

OK.. all sarcasm aside..... I hope she doesn't have any serious injuries. But, bruises, scrapes etc are normal parts of childhood. Kids who aren't allowed bruises should not be sent to group activities, and honestly should just be kept inside. My daughter heard "suck it up buttercup" a lot as a child. If it's bruises and scrapes, she'll be fine, and hopefully not do whatever she did to cause herself pain.
lmao....you are sooooo funny!!
dEHmom 10:43 AM 07-13-2011
ok, i'm not pointing fingers here...

it's that time for the forum cycle reminder. but i'm too lazy to post the link.

I think some of the posters on here are being a little bit harsh.

The op was a little extreme but given the fact that there is an injured child, I can understand. but some of the responses the op has received are a little over the top. I of course am giggling to some of them but I think they are a little uncalled for.
GretasLittleFriends 10:49 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:

The op was a little extreme but given the fact that there is an injured child, I can understand. but some of the responses the op has received are a little over the top. I of course am giggling to some of them but I think they are a little uncalled for.
I understand where you are coming from. And the thinking about the cycle of the forum makes me giggle... It is true though.

On a side note, has anyone looked closely at the user name? It reminds me VERY much of the word erotic. I'm suspecting a registered troll, but I could be wrong, and IF I am, I apologize and do hope that the girl isn't injured too seriously.
dEHmom 10:51 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I understand where you are coming from. And the thinking about the cycle of the forum makes me giggle... It is true though.

On a side note, has anyone looked closely at the user name? It reminds me VERY much of the word erotic. I'm suspecting a registered troll, but I could be wrong, and IF I am, I apologize and do hope that the girl isn't injured too seriously.
yep i thought the same about the user name. And once i read the post i was thinking that the response was a little over the top, and just meant to get a rise. But never know right.
daycare 10:55 AM 07-13-2011

lol I looked at the name several times and I thought that it was spam.. I can see the spamers so I ignored it at first....lol very unusual name...But I also have an unsual name and I think common names are just that...common....lol
Unregistered 10:56 AM 07-13-2011
Mom to mom here - I think you're overreacting.

Your child is 9 years old and is far old enough for a variety of things. If this child was 5 or under, I might feel differently, only because certain young aged kids need more decision assistance than older kids and I think we all agree that younger kids need much more supervision than older kids do. For example, your 9 year is old enough to decide if she can go on the slide and old enough to know if she jumps off the slide or walks up the slide or runs down the slide, she could fall and hurt herself - because she's been told 100s of times in her life for doing just that.

I'm betting the daycare teacher gave her plenty of reminders of safety while she was doing what she was doing. If she wasn't being supervised at all, then that's a different story all together but I doubt a center allowed her to be outside by herself without incident. And your 9 year old is old enough to tell you exactly what happened and old enough to lie about it to make herself look good.

Accidents happen. I can understand you're upset because in my state, daycares have to line item each bruise, scrape, etc upon arrival of the child for mandatory abuse reporting - I've been asked many times about bruises on the knees, scapes on the elbows, etc but so has everyone else that went to our daycare. If I had a $1 for every bruise, cut, scape that my child comes home with just from daycare every week, I'd be a rich woman. From that standpoint, I can understand you're upset because you obviously don't want this coming back on you. You should definately be sure the injury notification was put in writing and be sure that it was logged in their injury log book to be reviewed at their inspection. Depending on how things work in your state, you may be able to get them to pay for her medical treatment - but I don't know the laws surrounding things like that and the requirements either way. You could call your state's licensing to find out on that. And you definately need to get your child to the pediatrician immediately to be sure there aren't any internal injuries!
youretooloud 11:04 AM 07-13-2011

LOL.. My mind is never in the gutter anymore. I've gotten so old.

My first image was the exorcist movie.
SilverSabre25 11:19 AM 07-13-2011
i had the same thought about both the forum cycle, the name, and the over-reaction...on both sides (although I agree that some of the responses are giggle-worthy)
Sugar Magnolia 12:00 PM 07-13-2011
A child gets an injury at school. Let's just say a fall from a slide, like the op experienced. Yes, make a report to the parent and explain fully what happened. But....has anyone else noticed this??? Child gets injured at school, parents all indignant, huffy, mad. Child comes to school Monday with a visible bruise, cut, whatever. "Mom, what happened to jimmy's arm?". "Oh he fell when we were at the park, but he's ok." Suddenly, minor injuries are totally ok if they happened on MOMS WATCH! But the exact same minor injury is a HUGE PROBLEM when it happens at school. Its never a two way street.
youretooloud 12:07 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
A child gets an injury at school. Let's just say a fall from a slide, like the op experienced. Yes, make a report to the parent and explain fully what happened. But....has anyone else noticed this??? Child gets injured at school, parents all indignant, huffy, mad. Child comes to school Monday with a visible bruise, cut, whatever. "Mom, what happened to jimmy's arm?". "Oh he fell when we were at the park, but he's ok." Suddenly, minor injuries are totally ok if they happened on MOMS WATCH! But the exact same minor injury is a HUGE PROBLEM when it happens at school. Its never a two way street.

My daycare parents are all pretty good about not being all jumpy like that. But, last week, I was putting sunscreen on one boy, and when I pushed his hair out of the way, he had this HUGE purple knot on his forehead. I didn't know when, where or how it happened. (fortunately at home) But, they forgot to tell me. I kept asking him "how did you get this?" He said "Mummfytah". (which apparently meant "Mommy's trash can")

I forget things too, so I wasn't mad... just worried, since I had no idea what "Mummyfytah" meant.
mickey2 12:19 PM 07-13-2011
I posted this a while back. You should read it!
Oversensitivity To Safety Is Hurting Kids!!
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31029

Kids NEED to be allowed to BE KIDS!!!
CheekyChick 01:23 PM 07-13-2011
I have been scratched, stepped on, head-butted, and had my hair pulled by the children in my care. Should I fire them?
dEHmom 01:26 PM 07-13-2011
well so far both dcb's I have now have both gotten hurt. one got road rash from the back steps when he lost his balance. The other fell onto a toy car, and got a bruise on the cheek.

Today, dcb #2 was eating lunch and all of a sudden I see little tiny red bumps forming around the mouth, cheeks and arms/hands. I let dcd know and I gave him a list of everything that was in lunch and breakfast today, and snacks. He just said "oh no, he had that yesterday already". Sort of looks like a heat rash, but I didn't notice it or it came back while he was eating lunch. Whew.
Christian Mother 01:43 PM 07-13-2011

That is exactly what I thought looking at the op's name on here. I did a triple double take...lol...
DCP&Momof3 02:53 PM 07-13-2011
To the OP, where are you located? I believe I may know the facility which you are referring to.
In our state I believe that the daycare facilities need to document and notify parents of injuries that happen during childcare. As for calling the parent, I'm not sure if they are required to unless it's something you have previously asked them to do or unless it's a serious injury that requires medical assistance. In most cases with a child who is 9yrs old, it becomes a judgement call as to whether the injury is serious or just a minor fall, scrape or bruise that happens in everyday play. The teacher's reaction was probably based on assessing your daughter's response to the accident & pain level at the time. A crying child, blood, a fall from high, inability to move the affected area and other symptoms are a sign that the child may be seriously hurt. However if the child told the teacher she fell from the bottom of the slide & wasn't crying & didn't seem to be in much pain the teacher may assess that the child is ok after looking her over. I'm not saying your child is one of them, but there are children who complain for every little bump & bruise. Guidelines are put in place not to be reporting every little bump & bruise but to make sure to document those injuries that truly injure the child or could be serious. If we told the parent everytime the child bumped & bruised themselves we wouldn't get much else done. Children WILL fall, they WILL get hurt, bruised, and at times even break a bone or something else serious. That's all a part of a normal childhood. Most teachers & providers do their best to prevent a child from being hurt. It's our job as providers to assess the situation & report back to parents the information they need to know.
I completely understand your concern for your daughter but as we all know sometimes injuries are not always apparent right after they happen, especially when it's an injury to the soft tissue.
Definitely find out why you were not "notified", take your child to the doctor if the pain persists but cut the teacher some slack unless this is a recurring theme. There are some teachers who do not pay attention as they should, just like there are many who do. If your daughter is persistently injured at daycare and you have addressed each situation with the director, then asking for her to be "fired" becomes a much more reasonable request. As it stands now, that probably will not happen based on the information you provided.
Good luck & I hope your child is not seriously hurt.
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:24 PM 07-13-2011
I understand you're upset your daughter got hurt at daycare. I'm too quick to react when I think someone has hurt someone close to me, but from a Preschool teacher's view point, I HIGHLY encourage parents to talk to the teacher or caregiver before going to the director just so they have both sides of the story. One time a mom who's daughter was in my care at a daycare I used to work at told the director that her 2 yr olds diaper was dirty when she picked her up and I hadn't changed it. So the director comes to discuss it with me, just taking the mom's word for it. What had actually happened was that the 2 yr old had pooped just a second before the mom walked in to pick her up. I told the mom that I was just about to change her because she'd gone right before she walked in, but she told me she would change her. I guess the mom thought I left her in a dirty diaper and didn't want to mess with it so waited til time for her to pick her up (which I would NEVER do)??? I don't know, but she could have gotten me in a lot of trouble that I shouldn't have been in. In your case, it sounds like the teacher was at least present and looked at her back. Most likely the spot didn't look too bad at the time it first happened, so she thought it was okay and probably didn't even think to call you about it. Please talk to the teacher/caregiver and find out her side, too. If she knew your daughter was in pain now, she would most likely apologize and feel really bad that she got hurt while she was in charge. I always hate it when a child gets hurt under my care. There may have not been anything I could have done, but I still feel bad when it happens.
sharlan 03:50 PM 07-13-2011

First thing that came to my mind when I read this post was Laurasophia.

I had a 7 yo fall one day, tripped over his own 2 feet. He yelled, "I broke my arm." I said, "No you didn't, come here." As he sat up, his face turned white and his arm was dangling. Yup, broke both bones from a small trip. He never once shed a tear, from the time he fell, while they set both bones and put a cast on it. Never once cried. Had his arm not been dangling, I wouldn't have thought he broke it. His arm didn't show any signs of swelling or bruising before his parents got there 20 mins later.
Unregistered 06:29 PM 07-13-2011
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kidzco...h&deg=270&z=21

and that's a soft play surface, right?
Michael 11:01 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:

Agree with you Canada girl. There is a section on the forum for Parents but she posted in the Provider section. I still think it is important to let parents also post their concerns. Parents are providers and providers are parents. I don't see them being so alien. We need to take down the "Get out of Town" sign. Some parents can be very overprotective. I was.

Here is that thread you mentioned: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28305
dEHmom 05:44 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Agree with you Canada girl. There is a section on the forum for Parents but she posted in the Provider section. I still think it is important to let parents also post their concerns. Parents are providers and providers are parents. I don't see them being so alien. We need to take down the "Get out of Town" sign. Some parents can be very overprotective. I was.

Here is that thread you mentioned: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28305
Thanks Michael
cillybean83 07:36 AM 07-14-2011
your kid got bruised...relax. did she tell you that someone beat her? no. she fell. kids tend to do that. my 8 year old and 1 year old always have bruises because they PLAY...my rule (with my kids) is that if it isn't broken or bleeding...move on.
momma4many 07:55 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Exactly my thoughts
Auntie 07:55 AM 07-14-2011
I get that your upset that your child got hurt. As a parent we automatically go into protective mode. The only thing this provider/teacher did wrong was to FORGET to tell you about the incident. For all you know your child could have fallen and NOT told the teacher, not cried at the time either. At that age some children try to hide the fact that they got hurt because they don't want to be seen crying infront of their peers.
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:00 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by PolarCare:
A 9 year old got a bruise while participating in a fun activity on a piece of playground equipment? The INHUMANITY!!!!

I hope they boil that provider in oil. Or at least tar and feather her. She should be clapped in irons and put in a stockade out in front of the center so the other children can spit on her as they pass.

LMFAO.

Thanks for making my morning!
Hunni Bee 05:13 PM 07-14-2011

Yes, that and the fact of who posts such an emotionally charged and outrageous claim, and then never comes back? It was bait.
Crystal 05:51 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kidzco...h&deg=270&z=21

and that's a soft play surface, right?
lol....I love this....I see no slide at all in that pic.
SandeeAR 06:12 PM 07-14-2011
To those Parents that won't/don't trust Daycare providers to transport their children.......

What are you going to do when your child starts school????

Will you drive them to and from school each day?

What about school field trips? Do you realize how left out your child will feel when they can't go and must stay home? Oh and this will count against their days missed at school. Unless you are a SAHM, who will take off work to stay with them for the field trip?

What about when they get older and get into school sports, Band or FHA? Are you going to drive them to and from each event/game? Have you thought about how humiliating that will be to a Middle school, jr high or sr high kid?

Oh, but they are older by then right???? But are the Less precious as they get older??

Just food for your thinking process.
mac60 06:51 PM 07-14-2011
I never have, or ever will transport a daycare child. I do not ever want that responsibility. I have 3 current families that asked me at interview if I took them in the car....Never. Around here, parents don't want their child running around town in a vehicle. And when my own kids were in daycare, I didn't want my kids being transported all over town either. It is a personal choice, I understand that.
Tags:accident, accident report, parent - helicopter, playground, playground etiquette, playground surfaces, safety, upset parent
Reply Up