Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Often Do You Do Arts And Crafts?
DaycareMom 08:50 AM 02-28-2012
I was just curious how often people do arts and crafts or projects with their dcks.

I have 2 one year olds, 2 two year olds, and 1 three year old. With the different age groups it is hard to do themes or projects. They color almost everyday and we do painting at least once a week and usually only do a special project for holidays.

How often do you do arts and crafts projects? Any easy ideas to do with the variety of ages I have would be appreciated as well. Thank you!
Sunchimes 08:53 AM 02-28-2012
I haven't had any luck getting my 17 mo olds to color. They pound on the paer with the crayon then try to eat it. I've put them away for another month, then we will try again.

We do art projects on major holidays. I can't wait until we can do them more often.
laundrymom 08:57 AM 02-28-2012
Never, we do no art projects. I give them materials and let them go. Daily.
wdmmom 08:58 AM 02-28-2012
We do projects for holidays and we try to do some kind of craft/art activity once a week although time doesn't always allow.
melissa ann 09:05 AM 02-28-2012
We do a little craft everyday. I also have a box of odds/ends/scraps from previous projects that the kids make their own creations from. During school hours I have 1 3yr old, 1 4 yr old and 1 almost 5. I don't always do craft for the SAgers.

Here's my childcare fb page with some of our crafts
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missys...68013833212739
melskids 09:14 AM 02-28-2012
I only offer process art.

I REFUSE to do ANY crafts that take me more time and work to accomplish then the kids.

Art materials are out and available to the children throughout the day to choose to do when and how they wish.

I stay VERY close to the little ones, until they can fully grasp how to use materials properly, and put things away.

By 2, they are fully using the art area on their own.

I dont mean to keep putting in shameless plugs for my blog, but its easier for me to answer then typing it all out again. So, here it is, if you'd like to read it....

http://mountaintopdaycare.blogspot.c...ay-crafts.html
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
same here.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:

I REFUSE to do ANY crafts that take me more time and work to accomplish then the kids.

Art materials are out and available to the children throughout the day to choose to do when and how they wish.

I stay VERY close to the little ones, until they can fully grasp how to use materials properly, and put things away.

I dont mean to keep putting in shameless plugs for my blog, but its easier for me to answer then typing it all out again. So, here it is, if you'd like to read it....

Oh my Mel! Your little ones covered in red shaving cream (?) are adorable!! What fun!! Makes me want to jump right in and get my hands all foamy too!!

I it!!

P.S. your blog is worth pushin'
daycare 09:18 AM 02-28-2012
3 days a week.
SilverSabre25 09:18 AM 02-28-2012
We do occasional "projects" but mostly I choose one material a day and let them use it. I have quite a few to choose from.
DaycareMom 09:24 AM 02-28-2012
This is great! Other than paper and crayons/markers/pencils/paint - what materials are you giving them?
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by MissChristie:
This is great! Other than paper and crayons/markers/pencils/paint - what materials are you giving them?

In my art area we have,
glue sticks, scissors, scrap paper, stamping pads and stampers, stencils and rubbing plates, pom poms, wiggly eyes, glitter, stickers, tape and staples, water colors, glue dots and misc paper and old magazines.
melskids 09:40 AM 02-28-2012
paper (a couple diff kinds), crayons, markers, colored pencils, stencils, rubing plates, scissors, glue sticks, rulers, hole punchers, stamps and stamp pads, printing materials, water color paint, oil and/or chalk pastels, bingo dabbers, a bucket of scrap paper, cardboard, recycled stuff like TP tubes and egg cartons, collage materials...pom poms, pipe cleaners, foam shapes, all sorts of scraps....clay, playdough, and all the tools for that, and a woodworking bucket with tons of wood pieces.

There is also always paint at the easel.

other stuff gets rotated in....like fingerpaint, shaving cream, magnet painting, other types of specialty markers, or tools, and the hot plate.

The hot plate is a warming tray that I cover with foil, and as the kids draw on it with crayons, they melt. It's really neat. Then they rub a paper over it to make a print.

We also have....wait for it....hot glue guns.

Not only to they hold wood and cardboard together better then regular glue, we even have glue guns we put crayons in!!! They make awesome pictures!

And honestly, I dont let them use the glue guns until about 4 or 5 years old, I completely trust them to use them properly, and I still stay right with them.

Oh, and BTW blackcat, thanks!
SilverSabre25 09:40 AM 02-28-2012
I can't let my group have free access to anything, but I have do-adot markers, ink stamps and pads, stencils, rubbing plates, collage stuff, dry erase boards and markers, paints of various forms...
Greenplasticwateringcans 10:16 AM 02-28-2012
I give the kids free reign with selected crafting material daily. A lot of the time I give them themed material to work with (decorating Christmas trees for example) but they are the creators of their art. I hate, with a passion, children's cookie cutter "art".
SunshineMama 10:20 AM 02-28-2012
We make something for them to take home at least 3 days a week. If you count making mud pies, birds nests out of sticks, and leaf "soup" as arts and crafts, then we do it every day
Heidi 10:24 AM 02-28-2012

Oh, Mel! That was lovely! You are a gifted writer as well as a lovely childcare provider, always managing to express what I am thinking much more eloquently than I can!
Ariana 10:24 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Ditto! I see the vast majority of arts and crafts for children under 5 as being "finished art" meaning that an adult does 90% of the work so it's not even really theirs. Until a child is able to do 90% themselves they just do lots of painting, coloring, scribbling, chalk drawing and collage. I also explain this to the parents up front so they don't expect it! The only time I do a set craft is when they make cards for their parents for various occassions but the most I do is fold the paper and write what they want to say!
melskids 10:27 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
We make something for them to take home at least 3 days a week. If you count making mud pies, birds nests out of sticks, and leaf "soup" as arts and crafts, then we do it every day
Awesome! That is art! Art doesnt have to be something permanent either. Just arranging stones in the grass, or a lego sculpture can be art.

Originally Posted by bbo:
[/b]
Oh, Mel! That was lovely! You are a gifted writer as well as a lovely childcare provider, always managing to express what I am thinking much more eloquently than I can!
aww shucks. thanks!
Countrygal 10:28 AM 02-28-2012
My youngest is almost 3, so it's easier for me. We do a crafts project about 3 days a week and art (not counting coloring) about one. My kids love the crafts, though, so some weeks we'll do two or three in one day!
SD DaycareMOM 12:32 PM 02-28-2012
I am working very hard on moving over to the PROCESS side of art with the kids. Sometimes I still want to do a little "crafting" with them, especially when it involves a handprint. And I have one dcg righ now who just loves the little cut-and-paste type crafts, but she likes painting too, so we do more of that now.

There are always crayons, colored pencils, scissors, glue, and paper available to the kids. We do some type of preschool activity every day but it usually only results in something to take home about once or twice a week. That is why I started my website/blog -- so I could feel good about showing the parents that our playing is purposeful and beneficial, even if they don't have a paper to show for it at the end of the day.
daycare 12:59 PM 02-28-2012
I guess I have a different meaning of craft or art project when I see others post.

Daily I have centers that will always be open to the kids, but my 4 year old kids that are in my kinder program will learn to do a say as I do craft project.

I show them how to do it and they do it all on their own the best that they can. Its basically to teach them to learn to follow directions and wait to be told what to do. Just like they will have to do when they start school.

The younger kids don't participate in this activity...

We do tons of art type activities everyday when the kids feel up to it
SunshineMama 01:41 PM 02-28-2012
I'm huge on bingo markers and stickers! I will set up the table for my 3+ with construction paper, bingo markers, crayons, stickers, scissors, and glue sticks. They make something different every time, and it is always awesome! sometimes I prepare cutouts in advance for them to use.

I do a lot of baked dough activities for holidays and let them decorate/paint them. Sometimes we paint things we find in the yard like pinecones, sticks, etc.

The best crafts for kids are the ones that don't all have to look the same when they are done. I want them to explore their creativity as much as possible.
daycare 01:49 PM 02-28-2012
Awesome! That is art! Art doesnt have to be something permanent either. Just arranging stones in the grass, or a lego sculpture can be art.

aww shucks. thanks!
where do you come up with all of your ideas??

I love the paint tub with the egg beaters... can you tell me how you set this up and how do you clean it up or store it?

SOrry not trying to hijack
SunshineMama 01:53 PM 02-28-2012
Pinterest has some amazing ideas!
daycare 02:29 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Pinterest has some amazing ideas!
I tired to join that by someone's help on here but could never log on because I refuse to get a face book account. But that site looks soooooo coool
melskids 03:09 PM 02-28-2012
I think you can join pinterest with just an email address, but I'm not sure.

I do get alot of ideas form there, but I have a bit of a creative art streak as well. I had an AWESOME elementary art teacher who believed everything we did was beautiful. She is my inspiration.

The paint and egg beater is a perfect example of process art. I put out cornstarch and water and let them mix it themselves. I was actually aiming for a science lesson. The children then asked for paint, (we were actually outside in our big water table) so I gave them a few bottles, and some powder tempera I had as well. They spent most of the morning mixing and experimenting with color. Then they brought out big sheets of paper and laid them gently on top to make a print.

When you google the definition of art, this is what it says....

art/ärt/

Noun:

1.The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
2.Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Now, I will never argue with a provider who offers preset crafts. They have their place. My school agers actually love them, and it keeps them busy...and quiet...lol....during nap time. They really like paint by number and latch hooking.

All I'm saying is, they aren't art.

Could you imagine telling Michelangelo, VanGogh, or DaVinci where to place their googly eyes?
Heidi 03:14 PM 02-28-2012
I think you can join pinterest with just an email address, but I'm not sure.

I do get alot of ideas form there, but I have a bit of a creative art streak as well. I had an AWESOME elementary art teacher who believed everything we did was beautiful. She is my inspiration.

The paint and egg beater is a perfect example of process art. I put out cornstarch and water and let them mix it themselves. I was actually aiming for a science lesson. The children then asked for paint, (we were actually outside in our big water table) so I gave them a few bottles, and some powder tempera I had as well. They spent most of the morning mixing and experimenting with color. Then they brought out big sheets of paper and laid them gently on top to make a print.

When you google the definition of art, this is what it says....

art/ärt/

Noun:

1.The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
2.Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Now, I will never argue with a provider who offers preset crafts. They have their place. My school agers actually love them, and it keeps them busy...and quiet...lol....during nap time.

All I'm saying is, they aren't art.

Could you imagine telling Michelangelo, VanGogh, or DaVinci where to place their googly eyes?
Can you imagine how they would all look if you let them "go at it" with those googly eyes? Too bad they didn't have googly eyes in the 15th century!
daycare 03:17 PM 02-28-2012
awesome!! thanks for responding..

LOL love this..Could you imagine telling Michelangelo, VanGogh, or DaVinci where to place their googly eyes?
countrymom 06:41 AM 02-29-2012
depends what kind of mood i'm in. But I have an art cubbie they can use any time. right now the rice table is the hottest item.
Meyou 06:55 AM 02-29-2012
I think the Mona Lisa would be interesting with googly eyes.
Tags:arts and crafts
Reply Up