Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Respiratory Problems
Lil'DinoEggs 04:39 AM 01-28-2014
I agreed to watch a 3yo girl three times a week for two weeks. I have worked with the parents before. At drop off they wrote Asthma for special needs. I asked where her inhaler was. They stated, we didn't bring it. She doesn't really need it. It was one incident a while ago. r It isn't even really asthma yet it is this [other respiratory thing]. I told mom I needed the assessment filled out completely and next time I need DR note and inhaler. I reminded her at pick up. She continues to talk that the incident was three months ago (to me that is not a while), there was a second incident and actually she takes an inhaler in the morning and at night.

In all honestly, I am bad with thinking on my feet or I would have said no to the first day when they didn't bring the inhaler because of the liability. But I just sent a reminder email saying she needs to have everything or there is no care. I feel bad that it is 9:30 at night sending this but, I worked 12 hours yesterday and today due a military thing.
Play Care 05:41 AM 01-28-2014
I would email the mom, and I would not hesitate to underline that this is a TREMONDOUS liability for you. If you are licensed point out that you can be cited (or whatever the repercussions are). I don't think parents can fully appreciate the liability of caring for other children so we do need to remind them.

That said, my own DD was diagnosed with asthma, but the doctor didn't think that she needed an emergency in haler due to her symptoms though we were to give her an inhaler two times a day at home. I would have no issues supplying her school or whatever with a note stating what the treatment was.
Unregistered 07:57 AM 01-28-2014
My son has the same thing called reactive airway disorder. It's asthma but they don't call it asthma until after a certain age/ or number of incidents. He does not have an inhaler. He was never prescribed one.
Lil'DinoEggs 02:42 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son has the same thing called reactive airway disorder. It's asthma but they don't call it asthma until after a certain age/ or number of incidents. He does not have an inhaler. He was never prescribed one.
Yes this is what is it. This particular child has been prescribed an emergency inhaler in addition to a daily inhaler.

Parents emailed me this morning saying they may not get to the doctor's this morning (the day of care). They said they didn't know about the note until Mon and if I can do anything for them.

My response was:

In the event of a respiratory event, I need to be fully prepare. The health of your child is my priority. In the contract your signed (last week), it states all medications need this particular form for me to administer meds.

What I wanted to say is:

It is not my fault you didn't read the contract. I am not going to be held liable because you were unprepared so that you can have a few hours without your son. I will not put your son's health at risk or the other children at risk.

If I have to call 911 for an attack, I need to use an emergency back up and go with him to the hospital.

It looks like I am updating my contract again to include asthma and food allergies. Most children I watch with these diagnoses come fully prepared.
Scout 06:18 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Mine too. We have a nebulizer with albuterol but, thats it. Basically, it means my son will likely wheeze with a cold. He is very active and never out of breath from sports, running, etc. He could develop asthma later in life though.
Tags:nebulizer, respiratory issues
Reply Up