Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Defeated And Worried
awestbrook713 04:10 PM 09-20-2011
I apologize in advance for how long this is.

I have been having trouble filling my spots since school has started. I knew my income would be low but I'm getting more depressed each day. I have flyers up in the local banks and grocery store. I have received a few calls but for infant care and I am already at my 2 under two limit. All of my kids were SA so I barely have any at the moment. I have a 3 yr old for 4 days a week, she starts head start thursday and her already shorter hours will be cut in half and then dad will be having his schedule changed for the winter months and I will only get her for an hour and a half. I have another 3 yr old boy who comes wed, and fridays and will also be starting headstart. My third child I am still watching might not be coming as much as I anticipated because dad just got switched to 2nd shift.

I have been trying to get my act together and not let the parents walk all over me but everytime I think I have it figured out something falls through.

I just had a mom txt me she is on bed rest until she has her baby she is due next week. This new baby will be my second infant. I already watch her 5 yr old daughter who is in school most of the day (I haven't watched her since the middle of august) and will go to an afterschool program 3 days a week (the 3 days I normally have her). I had sent updated contracts to all the dcp and asked them to fill out asap because the changes go into effect oct 7th. I had txt her to ask if I could drop it off to her and when I got no answer I mailed it to her. Today I receive a txt that she will fill it out once she has the baby and that now she definately needs me tues, thurs, and friday 12:30-5 (I'm skeptical she may just be saying this to keep the spot, how many missed days do I let her have before I tell her she has to pay for the days in advance so I am guarenteed my money), and now she needs me for her daughter after the after school program which will only be about 15 minutes to a half hour 4:45-5:15. I feel she had taken advantage of my easy going side in the summer because she came and gave me some sad story about how she didn't want to pay a full rate for only a few hours a day since the daughter didn't come that often so me like a chump said ok what were you thinking and she said $3 an hour. I stupidly agreed and then through a summer of her being picked up early, not coming at all, or getting here on days she wasn't even scheduled I made very little. I texted her back today asked if she could at least sign the new contract. I also told her that we will need to sit down and discuss my rate when she doesn't have so much going on, but I think I am going to tell her she needs to pay my $20 full day rate for the baby and $5 for the daughter since this will be keeping me sitting at my house waiting for a child when I won't have any others since the rest will be picked up by then. My issue with the pay is she was paying $25 a day to her old babysitter, and if she says she can't I will give her info on payment assistance and if she doesn't take that I will have to tell her goodbye. I'm beginning to think this family isn't worth the headache. I want to be in control but I don't know how to get it with the parents constantly taking advantage of me.
Angelwings36 04:32 PM 09-20-2011
CONTRACT...CONTRACT...CONTRACT

AND...

ENFORCEMENT...ENFORCEMENT...ENFORCEMENT

I do not know what the demand for childcare in your area is but when I have available spaces I do extreme advertising, so to speak. I will advertise on the net (Kijiji), place an ad in the newspaper, word of mouth and if I ever really had to I would place ads on people's vehicles lol.

Just get your name out there hard and fast and interview, interview, interview.
awestbrook713 04:45 PM 09-20-2011
Ok I DID IT. I have a contract I have set rates and I just texted mom back and said this. I worked with you this summer because I know dcg dad doesn't help with daycare costs and I know how fast they add up, but since both mom and dad are in the picture for new baby I would like to receive the full days rate for the baby and that I hope she still needs me but if she doesn't I wanted to give her enough time to find someone else.
While I was texting her she was texting me saying she knows I need to make money and she wants to be fair.... So lets see how fair she wants to be, either I set it up that I will be getting paid what I think I deserve or I just opened up to spots I can fill quickly. whew I feel like a weight has been lifted, now waiting for her response
awestbrook713 06:33 PM 09-20-2011
So she texts back that she just hates having to pay $10 more for just a half hour, and I tell her well I have parents that go over 4 hours by 10 minutes and know they have to pay the full day rate of $20. So after that she asks if I have time tomorrow so we can talk and she will fill out the paper. I just hope she doesn't think talking face to face is going to intimidate me, I have made my decision and I am not budging. Wish me luck tomorrow girls I'm nervous but I have to make sure she doesn't know that.
care-care 07:10 PM 09-20-2011
Here to wishing you luck!! I seem to sound good until I am face to face ugh.. I dont know why. Stand your ground
daycare 09:10 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
So she texts back that she just hates having to pay $10 more for just a half hour, and I tell her well I have parents that go over 4 hours by 10 minutes and know they have to pay the full day rate of $20. So after that she asks if I have time tomorrow so we can talk and she will fill out the paper. I just hope she doesn't think talking face to face is going to intimidate me, I have made my decision and I am not budging. Wish me luck tomorrow girls I'm nervous but I have to make sure she doesn't know that.
Good job!
I always buckle when face to face, but as time goes on I get stronger , firmer and able to stand my ground.
Good luck!!
Meyou 03:18 AM 09-21-2011
Hon, if you're getting calls for fulltime infants then I would seriously consider taking another family. If I'm reading correctly this lady is holding an infant spot and not paying you and even when she starts she only needs the spot 3 days a week for 4.5 hours. You'll be making $75 per week for two children (even though the older is only there for a few minutes). It's just not worth it IMO. Not when you could potentially get a fulltime infant.
awestbrook713 04:09 AM 09-21-2011
I know it doesn't. I think deep down I just want her to change her mind and decide to go else where. I am just developing my backbone when it comes to standing up for my rates, I am terrified of the thought of terminating someone, especially since she is dating family. I have received calls about other infants but they are also part time, the one that was full time I was just told isn't going to her old provider because of non payment so thats a definate no go. The other girl under 2 I have watched before and she is sweet and mom is willing to pay more then I charge just to get a spot, I think she would be the perfect fit I just can't term other family due to nerve, and the third child is also family she will be turning 2 in january and mom says she will wait till then to use me. I will update later after the talk and let everyone know how it went. thanks for all the luck!
momofsix 05:04 AM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
You can do it! Be strong, stick to what is best for you!
Picture all of us surrounding you when you're talking to her. (we are!)
awestbrook713 05:07 AM 09-21-2011
Aww thanks momofsix, I'm gonna need to picture something. I definately lost sleep last night thinking of what I need to say to her and I'm very anxious feeling this morning, I just want to get this done with. I guess when you start a business you think of all the awesome parts like helping children grow and learn, being home for your family etc but never the hard business aspect and thats where I have to grow and learn the most.
Unregistered 05:49 AM 09-21-2011
Your a business. Run your program like a business. State the facts and leave no room for negotiating. If you don't- your going to be walked all over. I would not even have a money conversation over texting. You are leaving to much wiggle room. State your facts. I charge.........and make it worth your while and fair at the same time. Have a contract. Parents don't think twice when they leave our programs-they do what they have to do. We- you should be doing the same. Study contracts, policies, daily routines, going rates in your area, how to interview, and listen to the peeps that have been doing this for a very long time. If you don't get it together you will be out of work in no time in this field.

Not trying to be harsh.....or cold, just saying what I see. You are your own boss, your house, your rules, your business, your money. Don't take it on everyone's problems. They don't care that your waiting on your money pay day so that you can pay your bills ect......

The more you deal with people and stand up for yourself, the easier it will become to do this. People/public skills takes practice, trial and error. Give yourself a chance and don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out for them. Another family will come along. Until your up and running smooth don't expect to be making a lot of $$$ You will get there, but have a plan, be professional and learn to speak face to face to your peeps and say what you mean and want, and also be able to make decisions that are going to be in the best interest of you and your family. Good luck~
awestbrook713 06:09 AM 09-21-2011
Thank you, all very good advice taken to heart.
awestbrook713 06:26 PM 09-21-2011
So mom showed up a half hour late and I was a little ticked because I had set up the time to meet during quiet time/nap time so we could talk while the kids were quiet. It didn't quite work out that way but this is what went down, I told her I hoped she understood where I was coming from and that I can not give any more special deals out or I would just have to close my daycare and find a new job because the money isn't there. She agreed to pay me the full days rate for the baby I did let her keep the $3 an hour rate for her daughter. She told me the schedule for the new baby which went from tues thurs fri. to tues and fri because grandma wants baby on thurs days w/e. I am apparently only getting her daughter on tue. now for both school and summer. I'm happy I didn't back down and now am going to look into filling the other 3 days with an awesome little girl who is under two and her moms been wanting to get her in here, I also have another little girl turning two in january whos mom is going to go back to subbing and will need a sitter during the school year. Thanks again for all the advice.
Tags:difficult parent, difficult parent request, holding spot - pregnancy, holding spot policy, part time care - not, taking advantage
Reply Up