Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Fee and Hour Change...
Angelwings36 05:50 AM 03-08-2012
I have a family that came to me in February 2012 and asked for an August space. Because I knew I 100% would have a space at that time I told the mom there would be a $50/month holding fee over the months of February, March, April, May, June and July to hold her space. (I know the holding fee is really low but it wasn't like I didn't have the space filled until August). I just found out recently that I have to change my hours due to personal reasons. Right now I am running:

7:30am - 5:15pm Monday - Thursday
7:30am - 4:30pm Friday

I have to change to:

7:30am - 4:00pm Monday
7:30am - 5:00pm Tuesday - Thursday
7:30am - 4:30pm Friday

These hour changes have not posed any problems with the existing clients that I have at the moment. However, the mom that is suppose to start in August needed full use (and maybe even then some) of my old hours. She had informed me that she gets off at 5:00pm (5 min drive to my place) and said there might be the odd day she would be a few minutes late to pick up. Ok not a big deal (if it's only once in a blue moon) also why I have strict late fees.

So anyways, I have to inform this mom of my hour changes. I am going to give her the option of finding someone to pick her daughter up at these times if she can. If not I would refund her daycare deposit ($325.00).

What do I do about the holding fee for February & March though? This totalled $100.00 and my form clearly states holding fees are non-refundable. I'm totally fine refunding it back if that's the right thing to do, but I don't want to go against my policies either. What to do?

Thanks.
spud912 05:57 AM 03-08-2012
I personally would refund it to be fair.
MrsB 06:04 AM 03-08-2012
tough one. IMHO I would refund it. But thats me, sometimes Im too nice.
cheerfuldom 06:05 AM 03-08-2012
I would refund. Your contract should have some statement that you can make exceptions to your own contract at your discretion. It shouldnt be something that binds you to do anything.....it should help you, not hinder.
DCBlessings27 06:06 AM 03-08-2012
Since you are the one who changed the terms due to personal reasons, I would say you should refund the money. When she paid the fee, you said you would definitely have a spot. Now, it's your situation that changed it so she might not have a spot. I think it's fair to refund her.
Angelwings36 06:07 AM 03-08-2012
This is what I was thinking too and that is what I will do then! Thanks ladies.
Tags:holding spot - fee
Reply Up