Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Reading Policies
childcaremom 06:53 AM 05-13-2015
So my dcf that I have posted about before arrived this morning saying that dcb had had 3 shots at the doctor's this morning.

I exclude for 24 hours after shots. I told them this in the interview (and I remember their response exactly) and it is in my policy book, that they signed and returned.

This is also the family that seems to have trouble with all my policies.

So dad seemed a little miffed but took dcb and left dcg. I reminded him that it was in the policy book that he signed and returned. "I guess I must have missed that."

Le sigh.

If they ask for a copy of the policies to see again, do you charge them for this? I tell parents to make a copy (I don't provide one) for their records. I have never had a family have so many issues with things. It is very obvious to me that they never read the policy book.

I do not relish the idea of having to print off another copy for them, and do not want to resend home signed paperwork in case it doesn't return.

I am advertising to replace but so far no bites. I need some good family vibes.
hope 07:02 AM 05-13-2015
You can show them your copy and have them read that bit at your house. If they want an extra copy you can charge. Mine is 15 pages so if I printed out copies every time one of my families had a question it would become quite expensive.
homeishere 07:03 AM 05-13-2015
Are you able to scan in a copy and email them? I know it's a pain but keeping signed electronic copies has saved me a lot of time and ink too.
Kimskiddos 07:07 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by homeishere:
Are you able to scan in a copy and email them? I know it's a pain but keeping signed electronic copies has saved me a lot of time and ink too.
This. I made a PDF copy of my handbook and will gladly email it to client if asked. I can just scan their signature page and attach, if necessary.
Thriftylady 07:15 AM 05-13-2015
I give a handbook copy at every first interview. The rest of the paperwork they don't get until I get an enrollment fee.
childcaremom 07:18 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I give a handbook copy at every first interview. The rest of the paperwork they don't get until I get an enrollment fee.
I go over it in my interviews. Then they sign and return the handbook. I tell them to make a copy for their records.

I think they just signed it and returned it. No reading. No copies. This is not the first, second or third issue I am having with them.

They are so much work.
childcaremom 07:19 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
This. I made a PDF copy of my handbook and will gladly email it to client if asked. I can just scan their signature page and attach, if necessary.
I am going to try to figure PDFs out at naptime.

Thanks!
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 05-13-2015
I don't print off ANY paperwork for clients. I send everything via pdf files in an e-mail. They can print out what they need or just keep it on their devices.

I had a mom once a few years ago (I posted about her) that would question my policies DAILY!

It got really old really fast.... so one day I once again was "refreshing" her memory as to what my handbook said and she could tell I was a bit miffed so she replied "Well, it's not like I keep a copy of your policies in my purse" (really snarky)

So me, being me I took my handbook (all 35 pages) and printed it off in a teeny tiny purse sized booklet and gave it to her at pick up.

She was not amused.

But myself and the parent who happened to catch the morning conversation exchange as well as the gifting of my teeny tiny purse sized handbook, pretty much laughed until we cried after the DCM left.
hope 07:30 AM 05-13-2015
BC that is funny! I actually think i may do this so my families cam have a copy for their purse. Why not right? Lol!
Baby Beluga 07:54 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't print off ANY paperwork for clients. I send everything via pdf files in an e-mail. They can print out what they need or just keep it on their devices.

I had a mom once a few years ago (I posted about her) that would question my policies DAILY!

It got really old really fast.... so one day I once again was "refreshing" her memory as to what my handbook said and she could tell I was a bit miffed so she replied "Well, it's not like I keep a copy of your policies in my purse" (really snarky)

So me, being me I took my handbook (all 35 pages) and printed it off in a teeny tiny purse sized booklet and gave it to her at pick up.

She was not amused.

But myself and the parent who happened to catch the morning conversation exchange as well as the gifting of my teeny tiny purse sized handbook, pretty much laughed until we cried after the DCM left.
That's awesome
Fiddlesticks 08:16 AM 05-13-2015
I give them all a Parent Handbook that they keep. When they sign the contract there is a line for all of the important items that they must initial.

Examples: I/We have read the illness policy in its entirety and agree to follow all policies and procedures. ______
I/We have read the payment policy in its entirety and agree to follow all policies and procedures. ____
I/We have read the severe weather closure policy in its entirety and agree to follow all policies and procedures. _____

It has been years since someone tried to get away with violating my policies (well, they still try to sneak them in sick, but at least they pick up right away when I call, and follow the 24 hours exclusion policy without questioning it!) I think the phrase "in its entirety" makes them take it seriously.
childcaremom 08:38 AM 05-13-2015

She was not amused.

Omg. Love it. I think I am at that point with these parents.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I give them all a Parent Handbook that they keep. When they sign the contract there is a line for all of the important items that they must initial.

Examples: I/We have read the illness policy in its entirety and agree to follow all policies and procedures. ______
I/We have read the payment policy in its entirety and agree to follow all policies and procedures. ____
I/We have read the severe weather closure policy in its entirety and agree to follow all policies and procedures. _____

It has been years since someone tried to get away with violating my policies (well, they still try to sneak them in sick, but at least they pick up right away when I call, and follow the 24 hours exclusion policy without questioning it!) I think the phrase "in its entirety" makes them take it seriously.
I have those same statements at the end of the handbook and require parents to initial the statements. I also have the following (which they must also initial)

"Failure to read the handbook does not give me permission to violate policies or be free from the consequences of violating policies" _______

That line has saved me a ton of times. Especially when parents say "Well, I didn't know" or "I must have missed that part" or anything similar.
daycare 09:02 AM 05-13-2015
BC, laughing so hard I almost cried....lol

i would not give another copy for them to throw in the trash, leave in the car or use as a coaster. I would demand a sit down conference and go over your concerns and go over the policies. THIS is, if you want to keep them.

If I really like the kid, I would do this, because it's not the kids fault the parents can't follow/read rules. DOn't waste your time.

If they don't agree to sit down and talk with you about them or talk about it over the phone, term immediately. If you do talk on the phone, for a paper trail that the conversation took place, I would email them a follow up email.

example:

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to talk with me about how important our daycare policies and rules are to keep our program running smoothly. Now that you and guys are well versed in all of our policies, I know we will be able to overcome the past issues.

then the next time they break one you decide if you are going to term or not
childcaremom 09:10 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
BC, laughing so hard I almost cried....lol

i would not give another copy for them to throw in the trash, leave in the car or use as a coaster. I would demand a sit down conference and go over your concerns and go over the policies. THIS is, if you want to keep them.

If I really like the kid, I would do this, because it's not the kids fault the parents can't follow/read rules. DOn't waste your time.

If they don't agree to sit down and talk with you about them or talk about it over the phone, term immediately. If you do talk on the phone, for a paper trail that the conversation took place, I would email them a follow up email.

example:

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to talk with me about how important our daycare policies and rules are to keep our program running smoothly. Now that you and guys are well versed in all of our policies, I know we will be able to overcome the past issues.

then the next time they break one you decide if you are going to term or not
They are not a family I plan to keep past the end of the summer, or sooner if I can find replacements.

But this is good advice for future families that I may have issues with, so thank you!
Thriftylady 09:21 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:

I think I need to change my contract again. Sigh
Fiddlesticks 10:05 AM 05-13-2015
I have those same statements at the end of the handbook and require parents to initial the statements. I also have the following (which they must also initial)

"Failure to read the handbook does not give me permission to violate policies or be free from the consequences of violating policies" _______

That line has saved me a ton of times. Especially when parents say "Well, I didn't know" or "I must have missed that part" or anything similar.
Oooh, I like that. I will have to add that as well.
jgcp 10:29 AM 05-13-2015
I also have a family that obviously didnt read a dang thing i gave them ( contract or p&p) Its super frustrating!! Dcm is finishing up her masters in psycology but cant read a dang contract?? and dcd just doesnt care but he is the one droping off and picking up well except last night when he just didnt show and mom got there 15 min late. MORE late fees coming their way! I too am just trying to replace its to much i cant care about their disfunction anymore!!
Blackcat31 10:50 AM 05-13-2015
Another great tactic for getting parents to read your handbook is to hide a "discount phrase" somewhere randomly in your pages.

I add something like "the discount word is 'toddlers'. Tell me this word and what page you found it on and you will receive a $10 discount on your next invoice. This discount is valid for the first 30 days of services."

I hide the phrase in different spots, use a different amount for a discount and use a different word each time. That way another family can't tell a new family where the secret discount is hidden.

Surprisingly only 1 parent in the last year did not find the word and take advantage of the discount.
Unregistered 11:01 AM 05-13-2015
Another great tactic for getting parents to read your handbook is to hide a "discount phrase" somewhere randomly in your pages.

I add something like "the discount word is 'toddlers'. Tell me this word and what page you found it on and you will receive a $10 discount on your next invoice. This discount is valid for the first 30 days of services."

I hide the phrase in different spots, use a different amount for a discount and use a different word each time. That way another family can't tell a new family where the secret discount is hidden.

Surprisingly only 1 parent in the last year did not find the word and take advantage of the discount.

That is too funny
NorthernMNgal 12:17 PM 05-13-2015
This is amazing! Thanks for the laugh!

She was not amused.

AmyKidsCo 12:22 PM 05-13-2015
Ditto - I have links to all the forms on my website, and I email my handbook to parents before interviews and after enrolling. The only things I do on paper are the Food Program forms.
Sunchimes 02:05 PM 05-13-2015
I've one the hidden discount for 2 years, 3 new families and one renewal. I pointedly tool the renewing family that there had been a lot of changes, so they needed to go over it. Then I had them sign a form that they had read it. No one has ever asked for the discount.
Nurse Jackie 03:06 PM 05-13-2015

She was not amused. :

lol Im over here tickled
Tags:excluding after needles, handbooks, immunization exclusion, policies
Reply Up