Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Sleep Schedule Advice
sahm2three 07:46 AM 10-25-2010
Ugh. Sleep issues are going to do me in! My 6 month old colicky baby doesn't nap well. I do a morning nap from 8 until 9:30. He fusses until at least 8:30, and then is up by 8:50. Will NOT go back to sleep. Let him cry, doesn't give up. If I get him up at that time, he absolutely doesn't make it until lunch. For one, his fussiness is worse because he is exhausted. Then he doesn't eat lunch because I can't get him to stay awake for it. Then he only sleeps about a half hour into nap time and I am stuck walking/bouncing him for the rest of the hour and a half to two hours. Ugh. Thinking of terming him, even though I love him to death. He is just sooooooo hard. Any advice?
AfterSchoolMom 08:46 AM 10-25-2010
Where is he napping? Could you try darkening the room or using a fan or white noise machine?
momma2girls 09:24 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Ugh. Sleep issues are going to do me in! My 6 month old colicky baby doesn't nap well. I do a morning nap from 8 until 9:30. He fusses until at least 8:30, and then is up by 8:50. Will NOT go back to sleep. Let him cry, doesn't give up. If I get him up at that time, he absolutely doesn't make it until lunch. For one, his fussiness is worse because he is exhausted. Then he doesn't eat lunch because I can't get him to stay awake for it. Then he only sleeps about a half hour into nap time and I am stuck walking/bouncing him for the rest of the hour and a half to two hours. Ugh. Thinking of terming him, even though I love him to death. He is just sooooooo hard. Any advice?
I have the same problem, mine is colicky and teething badly!! WOW!!! Somedays are so stressful!! I finally got the parents to provide Tylenol and anbesol, after weeks of me telling them, he is teething and needs something to comfort him. She wasn't going to bring me anything- saying her and her husband are really against giving their baby any type of meds whatsover. I even showed her the teething tablets, that they have out nowadays that work well as well. After 2-3 weeks asking all the time for something, she finally brought me them!! UGH!!!!! I think she felt my frustration, and maybe wondered if I would terminate him, so she brought me what I wanted. I thought about it, I have never had anyone deny their child something for pain relief before in over 7 yrs. of daycare!!!! It's very pitiful!!!
sahm2three 12:44 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Where is he napping? Could you try darkening the room or using a fan or white noise machine?
He is in my laundry room (I use either the dryer or the vent fan for white noise). I have tried a bedroom, but he absolutely won't sleep in there. I am so about ready to just give up because it isn't JUST the colicky baby, but also my 9 month old dcb too. I am so worn out I could just cry.
SandeeAR 02:02 PM 10-25-2010
He is in my laundry room (I use either the dryer or the vent fan for white noise). I have tried a bedroom, but he absolutely won't sleep in there. I am so about ready to just give up because it isn't JUST the colicky baby, but also my 9 month old dcb too. I am so worn out I could just cry.

How close in age are these babies? Before I agreed to 3 babies, I put on paper what age/stage they would be at by the time I had all three. I made sure they were spaced enough that I felt I could handle it.

Mine are 2years 4 mos; 11 mos; 7 months; and 3 months.

walking, talking potty training; walking, eating; sitting up, eating; and still bottle and needy.
Former Teacher 02:12 PM 10-25-2010
As you may know, I am a private nanny. The boy is 2.5 years old and the girl is 5 months old. In ALL my years in daycare I have never known an infant that does not nap. This girl is the first. She will nap at the MOST 30 mins in her swing in the morning. She used to nap only 30 mins in the afternoon as well. The boy will sleep for hours.

One morning, mom brought her downstairs and she was still sleeping. I told mom that I would cuddle with her. I laid her on top of me and she slept for 2 hours before her big brother woke up.

So I tried that at nap that day. Sure enough, I laid her on top of me and she was still sleeping over an hour and half later when mom came downstairs. (she works from home)

Like today, baby was up at 645. Didn't go back to sleep until 930. Was up by 955. I forced her to stay up until I put the boy for his nap at 130. She fell asleep at 145 (on top of me) and was still sleeping at 300 when mom came downstairs.

This is everyday. I realize that you can't do that. I am just letting you that you are not the only one that has an infant that doesn't sleep. The drawback: mom is upstairs listening to everyday I say and do!
momma2girls 02:45 PM 10-25-2010
Noise is good for a colicky baby. A vacuum, washer , drier, radio, etc.. it helps them calm down. I know my colicky baby is pretty good about 2 days a week now, the other 3 are terrible!!! It does eventually get better, some babies longer than others though.
MG&Lsmom 03:03 PM 10-25-2010
I'm having similar issues with my 4mo. She's awful. Only sleeps in the car for 20 mins 2x a day during preschool runs. Otherwise screams most of the day unless you constantly play, talk, entertain her. I'd like to try some things, like white noise and bottle schedule changes, but the parents have forbidden it.
momma2girls 06:52 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
I'm having similar issues with my 4mo. She's awful. Only sleeps in the car for 20 mins 2x a day during preschool runs. Otherwise screams most of the day unless you constantly play, talk, entertain her. I'd like to try some things, like white noise and bottle schedule changes, but the parents have forbidden it.
You have to do what you have to do. Go ahead and try different things, quite possibly something will at least help, it certainly doesn't cure it, but might assist in aiding it a little bit. Good luck!!
marniewon 08:16 PM 10-25-2010
Why won't the parents let you try different things? do they really like the idea of their child screaming all day long? Or do they expect you to focus solely on her? If it were me, I would TELL the parents how it's going to be at daycare. Not because I know better how to raise their child, but to save my own sanity! Otherwise, term.

I would probably tell the parents "X is having a very hard time here - she is needing a lot of attention that I just can't give her, since I have other children to tend to. We can either try some ideas that I have to soothe her/teach her to self-soothe, or I will have to let her go, as as it stands right now, she would be better off with a one on one caregiver who can give her all the attention that she needs." If the parents check into nanny services at all, they will find that they will be spending way more than they are now! It might make them back down a bit and let you try a few things.
momma2girls 07:09 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Why won't the parents let you try different things? do they really like the idea of their child screaming all day long? Or do they expect you to focus solely on her? If it were me, I would TELL the parents how it's going to be at daycare. Not because I know better how to raise their child, but to save my own sanity! Otherwise, term.

I would probably tell the parents "X is having a very hard time here - she is needing a lot of attention that I just can't give her, since I have other children to tend to. We can either try some ideas that I have to soothe her/teach her to self-soothe, or I will have to let her go, as as it stands right now, she would be better off with a one on one caregiver who can give her all the attention that she needs." If the parents check into nanny services at all, they will find that they will be spending way more than they are now! It might make them back down a bit and let you try a few things.
Perfect advice!! I would do the same thing!!
MG&Lsmom 07:27 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:

Moot point now, cuz they term'd today. THANK GOODNESS! I'm mad, almost to tears mad, at what they had to say to me today. But I'm glad she's gone.

And yes, they expected me to focus on her solely. They didn't want me to hold her all day, but they also don't want her to cry. And they said she's not a wallflower baby you can just put down to play, she needs to be held and entertained. Um, do you even know what you're saying?? Mom left her for 2 hours and had Dad come back and get her. I was in the middle of changing my son's diaper and she was screaming cuz she rolled onto her tummy which she hates 18" from me. I keep the door locked most of the day for safety, only unlock it around the times they dropped off and picked up. Well the door was locked when he tried to open it and he started banging on the door and yelling at me to open the door. He had some not nice things to say to me about it. What the heck did they want me to do? Anyway, so they are done and I've learned some lessons. No more babies and My house, my rules/schedule/etc. Take it or leave it. Not worth it!

Sorry we hijacked OP. I hope you're little one goes easy on you today.
momma2girls 09:10 AM 10-26-2010
Moot point now, cuz they term'd today. THANK GOODNESS! I'm mad, almost to tears mad, at what they had to say to me today. But I'm glad she's gone.

And yes, they expected me to focus on her solely. They didn't want me to hold her all day, but they also don't want her to cry. And they said she's not a wallflower baby you can just put down to play, she needs to be held and entertained. Um, do you even know what you're saying?? Mom left her for 2 hours and had Dad come back and get her. I was in the middle of changing my son's diaper and she was screaming cuz she rolled onto her tummy which she hates 18" from me. I keep the door locked most of the day for safety, only unlock it around the times they dropped off and picked up. Well the door was locked when he tried to open it and he started banging on the door and yelling at me to open the door. He had some not nice things to say to me about it. What the heck did they want me to do? Anyway, so they are done and I've learned some lessons. No more babies and My house, my rules/schedule/etc. Take it or leave it. Not worth it!

Sorry we hijacked OP. I hope you're little one goes easy on you today.
Well I guess you can say good riddins!! Are they giving you a 2 week notice?
MG&Lsmom 10:47 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Well I guess you can say good riddins!! Are they giving you a 2 week notice?
2 hr notice . We had a pay per day kind of arrangement. Since DCM is a teacher and DCD is a landscaper, we worked out a higher per day rate, but they only paid for days she was here. I did get paid for this whole week tho.
sahm2three 11:50 AM 10-26-2010
Ugh. Today it is the 9 month old, well I guess he just turned 10 months. He won't sleep. Ever. Like doesn't sleep at all. If I leave him to cry, even though he is in another room, he screams so loud that he wakes up the other kids. Maybe I am just not cut out for this?! Or do I just have that bad of kids?! I have had the same routine/schedule since I began 8 months ago. And the 10 month old has been with me from the beginning. Here is my daily schedule:

7 am - arrival
7:30 - breakfast
8:30 - nap time for babies
10:00 - snack time and babies get up
12:15 - lunch time
12:45 - 1 - nap time begins
2:30 - required quiet/nap time is ending
2:45 - snack

We do a lot of activities in between snacks and meals so they are getting lots of exercise both mentally and physcially. Is there anything that needs tweeking? Sometimes the morning nap starts a little earlier if I am not taking preschoolers to school. I am just at a loss.
Tags:nap times, naptime routine, sleep time
Reply Up