Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracts?
sahdaycaremom 12:13 PM 02-07-2011
Have any of you ever had the parents sign a new contract on their yearly anniversary or do you just issue new contracts in January. I have a family that will be here for a year next month and have been having several issues with this family and wondered what you all thought of me issuing a new contract to them at the beginning the next month? Thanks in advance
lvt77 12:15 PM 02-07-2011
rules have to be the same for every family across the board. otherwise they could find you guilty of discirimination.
I update my PHB yearly and make revisons as I see fit. Usually I have to make revisions to it when something happens.
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 02-07-2011
I re-write and update my contract yearly so everyone fills out a new one each September. I go school year to school year. If they start in August, I give them the old and let them know a new one will be coming out in a bit. I haven't made alot of changes so this hasn't been an issue so far.
e.j. 12:30 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I re-write and update my contract yearly so everyone fills out a new one each September. I go school year to school year. If they start in August, I give them the old and let them know a new one will be coming out in a bit. I haven't made alot of changes so this hasn't been an issue so far.
I do the same thing.
misol 12:30 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
rules have to be the same for every family across the board. otherwise they could find you guilty of discirimination.
I update my PHB yearly and make revisons as I see fit. Usually I have to make revisions to it when something happens.
Really? What kind of discrimination? My contract is slightly different for every family. What I may agree to do for one family, I might not agree to do for another - especially if one is willing to pay for the extras. The terms that I have for one family isn't another family's business. I would think if that was the case then we couldn't charge different rates for different families either.

I would say it's perfectly OK to give the family a new contract on their anniversary date - especially if you are having issues with them.
lvt77 12:38 PM 02-07-2011
I am not sure what state you are in , but I had a lawyer look over my contracts and PHB. I was told that you many not offer one service to one family and not to another. or have different rules for families.

example no dresses in DC, but becuse little suzies parents you $10 more a month she is allowed to. If you offer the service of $10.00 extra you can wear a dress to daycare, then you have to offer this option for everyone, not just little suzies family. If they decline it then that is the choice that they made. I have some parents that declined photos being taken to send them...its a service that I provide but they did not want. but i offer to everyone.

it has more to do with the rules than services... however if you offer the service to one family you have to offer it to all. even if there is a price attached.
Abigail 08:13 PM 02-07-2011
sahdaycaremom,
You can have them sign a new contract tomorrow if you wanted. You don't have to wait until their one year anniversary (especially if they're full of issues) and you don't have to do it in January. I might find it convenient to want to do it in January, but I've found a lot of providers do it in September as well. I would get your new handbook and contract ready and give them 2 weeks to get it back to you signed. Don't have an "expiration date" on it, but do have a "Due by" date on it. This way, they can't walk away if they don't turn it in on time.
misol 06:50 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I am not sure what state you are in , but I had a lawyer look over my contracts and PHB. I was told that you many not offer one service to one family and not to another. or have different rules for families.

example no dresses in DC, but becuse little suzies parents you $10 more a month she is allowed to. If you offer the service of $10.00 extra you can wear a dress to daycare, then you have to offer this option for everyone, not just little suzies family. If they decline it then that is the choice that they made. I have some parents that declined photos being taken to send them...its a service that I provide but they did not want. but i offer to everyone.

it has more to do with the rules than services... however if you offer the service to one family you have to offer it to all. even if there is a price attached.

I sort of understand I work based on an ask (not offer) system I have my standard agreement but a family may ask for a special provision. If I agree to accommodate the request, I will add it to their contract only. So, does this mean that I now have to go back and offer the same special accommodations to all my other families?
kendallina 10:18 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here.
lvt77 10:25 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by misol:
I sort of understand I work based on an ask (not offer) system I have my standard agreement but a family may ask for a special provision. If I agree to accommodate the request, I will add it to their contract only. So, does this mean that I now have to go back and offer the same special accommodations to all my other families?
depends. so if you offer one family to open at 7am but your hours are stated in your contract at 8am, you will have to offer this to all families. There are ways around it, by having each family agree to be set into contracted times. You then have them sign it.

otherwise it could come back to bite you. a family could say well you give family A special hours and you did not offer that to us... They can pull any card on you for this...like sex, race, religion, and etc....

sounds really silly right?? sad part is that there are weird people out there who will pull anycard they can.

So I was told to offer all services and apply all rules to everyone... as the lawyer told me CYA...cover your As*
Tags:contract - yearly, contracts
Reply Up