Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reflux and Colic
luv2laugh519 04:13 PM 01-03-2012
Hi everyone hope you all had a great New years .....so i had a new baby start today he is 2 months old and has reflux and colic :/ just wondering if anyone has any good tips to help us get through the day Thanks
PitterPatter 05:17 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by luv2laugh519:
Hi everyone hope you all had a great New years .....so i had a new baby start today he is 2 months old and has reflux and colic :/ just wondering if anyone has any good tips to help us get through the day Thanks
If the reflux causes problem when lying him down for naps make sure his head/upper body is elevated. My son had reflux, poor kids! Good luck I hope it works out well for you both!
meganlavonnesmommy 05:58 PM 01-03-2012
My son had reflux really bad until about 8 months old. Make sure his head is elevated a bit when he sleeps. You can put a folded towel under the mattress he sleeps on, on one end to elevate his head.
He also liked pressure on his tummy, it helped the pain. So I would hold him a lot in a "football hold", with his head towards my elbow, and my arm laying under his belly.
Like this
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=footb...0&tx=115&ty=75

Keep him upright after feedings for about 30 minutes. Smaller more frequent feedings. Is he on meds? My son was on prescription meds for a long time. It helped a lot with his pain.
sahm2three 06:44 PM 01-03-2012
No real advice. I am right there with you. My colicky guy is 3.5 months. They say it gets better around 3 months, but not with the kids I have been lucky enough to come in contact with! My own son was colicky for a year, and my 1st high needs/colicky baby dcb is now almost 2 and I got him when he was 4.5 months. He is still hard. We call him our "screamer". Right now, we just take turns walking/bouncing him, because nothing much else works. He doesn't like gravity. So as soon as you begin to put him down, he screams like he is on fire. I just got a new swing and am HOPING that it will help keep him happy so that we can put him down for a while and maybe get to do something with the other kids. Sorry I have no real advice. Try keeping him elevated after feedings (this doesn't seem to make a difference because we can't put him down). I am thinking of you and hoping your little guy gets thru it quickly! Hang in there!
Unregistered 05:13 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by luv2laugh519:
My son had it, sit him up in a bouncer, swing, or hold him upright after feeding for 15 mins at the least, when sleeping he needs to sleep at an angle roll a towel to make a wedge under the mattress, I know YOU cant do this but my doctor had me start putting cereal in my sons bottle at 2 months to help the reflux it thickens up the formula it helped might wanna have Mom ask the doc about it, my son also liked to lay across my legs on his belly when he got real fussy it calmed him down, he was FINALLY not fussy and not projectile vomiting by 6 months old so hang in there it does get better.
luv2laugh519 04:28 PM 01-04-2012
Thank everyone for your advice! Today was a rough day but i got through it lol....I just feel bad for the other 11 children we have its very hard for my ast. and I to do things with the other when we have a screaming infant :/....I am hoping within the next 2 week things will settle down and we will get into a routine.
cheerfuldom 04:38 PM 01-04-2012
I hope things settle down but my daughter had both and screamed every day, all day until she was over 8 months old. She had it BAD. There was things that helped but bascially her whole infanthood is a blur of exhaustion to me. If you really get stressed, you might consider letting this young one go onto to a smaller group or even a nanny. He might get better but honestly, you probably will not see any change in 2 weeks. I hope I am wrong......
lil angels 05:05 PM 01-04-2012
My son had colic and we took him to the chiropractor you can't do that but it really seemed to help. Might be something to mention to mom. Also we put receiving blankets in the microwave and got them hot and wrapped them around his tummy it was like a drug he would be so quiet for a bit. He grew out of it about 5 months of age.
bice99 10:06 PM 01-04-2012
My 9 y/o DD was diagnosed with reflux at one month old. Anything involving her throat made her scream - burping, yawning, crying, etc. We put her on meds and they took 6 weeks to repair the damage. Then one day she yawned and didn't cry! I was shocked. She's still on prescription meds for reflux and has even been scoped. She was a puker - would get a tummy bug and then when it was over she'd just keep puking every 20 minutes until we'd end up in the ER for an IV and Zofran. She's gotten over that part now. Our 7 y/o DD was diagnosed (first by me, then by the dr) at 2 days old. Good luck. I hope the parents are getting the dr to help.
Tags:acid reflux, colic, colicky, reflux
Reply Up