Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SD Has RINGWORM....Am I Overreacting?!!!
LaLa1923 07:31 AM 06-07-2013
My hubs called (he's away on business this week) and said his daughter has ringworm! OMG......I begged him to not get his two kids this weekend! ( we have joint custody and get them fri-mon) I don't want to chance it. I'm afraid I will get it or my youngest. If I get it the DCKS could get it.....ugh!!

Everything I read said it's highly contagious! Everything has to be washed, anything she touches. Bed linens need to be changed every day.

Am I overreacting?? Has anyone else experienced this??!
satcook 07:46 AM 06-07-2013
Yes, I do!

Would you also refuse visitation if she had the flu or a cold. Should mom always have to deal with her when she is sick? This is your husband's daughter!

If you keep ringworm covered it will be fine.

Lori
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 06-07-2013
Here is the technical fact sheet I have about it:

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...5_s6RINGWM.pdf

I don't mean this rudely so please don't be offended but I think that it is just something you may have to deal with.

If your DH has joint custody of his kids, he shouldn't have the option of picking and choosing when he wants to "parent" them...kwim?

The kids are his responsibility during HIS time with them REGARDLESS of what their issues, illness or whatever is during that time.

As a parent, you deal with whatever comes your way.

I also think it would send a poor message to the kids. You know, like 'Dad only wants them if they are in "good" condition'.

If I were the mother of those children, I'd be livid if their father didn't want to take them because of that.

I also understand that you have a child care but I don't think that should ever play into when he does or doesn't take his children during his scheduled custody times.

Hope that makes sense. Like I said, I am not trying to be mean, I am just seeing this from the other perspectives.
itlw8 07:49 AM 06-07-2013
Yes you are over reacting. I assume it is being treated. Keep it covered by clothes or a bandaid.

It is very common especially in the summer. pools, children playing anywhere in public, gyms all are places the fungus spreads easily
Brooksie 07:50 AM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I don't mean this rudely so please don't be offended but I think that it is just something you may have to deal with.

If your DH has joint custody of his kids, he shouldn't have the option of picking and choosing when he wants to "parent" them...kwim?

The kids are his responsibility during HIS time with them REGARDLESS of what their issues, illness or whatever is during that time.

I also think it would send a poor message to the kids. You know, like 'Dad only wants them if they are in "good" condition'.

If I were the mother of those children, I'd be livid if their father didn't want to take them because of that.

I also understand that you have a child care but I don't think that should ever play into when he does or doesn't take his children during his scheduled custody times.

Hope that makes sense. Like I said, I am not trying to be mean, I am just seeing this from the other perspectives.
Agree.
LaLa1923 07:58 AM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by satcook:
Yes, I do!

Would you also refuse visitation if she had the flu or a cold. Should mom always have to deal with her when she is sick? This is your husband's daughter!

If you keep ringworm covered it will be fine.

Lori
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I don't disagree! I've said the same about my kids dads. However, when my kids are sick I keep them as much as I can. If there is a posibilty of it spreading then I can send them to their dads. It's not Ok that my clients come sick, why would it be ok if I allow my kids to be sick with something seriously contagious around them.

I also did not give you a lot of background, for that I am sorry....

Their mother does everything BUT parent!! She almost NEVER has her kids. MAYBE 1-2 days a week at MOST.

Only one time they did not come and that was when we all had rotavirus. That was to protect them from getting it, they were still able to come but we gave her a choice that time.

UGH, if we get it or the DCK gets it I will be absolutely beside myself...
LaLa1923 08:02 AM 06-07-2013
Also, I would be the one to clean everything, I would be the one to cover it, I would be the main parent this weekend......like I am alll the time....
Brooksie 08:06 AM 06-07-2013
I would just let your families know what she has and that you are doing your best to keep it contained. That covers you as far as being liable for any one else getting it. I can see keeping them out of the house with rotavirus, but not ringworm. That just seems a little bitter to me. I've had kids come back to DC with Ringworm and Staph infections, but I never had any one else get it. I kept it covered and during changes stuck to our normal sanitation routine. If you are thorough normally you wont have a problem. But definitely notify parents. Just as you would with any thing else.
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I don't disagree! I've said the same about my kids dads. However, when my kids are sick I keep them as much as I can. If there is a posibilty of it spreading then I can send them to their dads.
But you have that option because YOU choose to keep them. Personally, I would send them to their dad's whether they were sick or not if it was his scheduled time to have them. I've never read a visitation or custody order that includes a clause about not taking the kids because they are sick...kwim?

It's not Ok that my clients come sick, why would it be ok if I allow my kids to be sick with something seriously contagious around them.
Then you treat your DH's children like your own. If there is an illness in the house, you notify the parents so they can choose to come anyways or you choose to close to reduce the risk of it spreading.

I know you said you can send your own to their dad's to reduce that risk, but in this case, these particular children don't have that option but are still your DH's (and yours) responsibility.

I also did not give you a lot of background, for that I am sorry....

Their mother does everything BUT parent!! She almost NEVER has her kids. MAYBE 1-2 days a week at MOST.

Only one time they did not come and that was when we all had rotavirus. That was to protect them from getting it, they were still able to come but we gave her a choice that time.

UGH, if we get it or the DCK gets it I will be absolutely beside myself...
I'm sorry for you, your DH and the kids that this woman is not a good mother but HER mothering habits really have nothing to do with what goes on during your DH's scheduled visitation. Just because she is a bad parent and doesn't spend much time with her kids still doesn't excuse your DH of parenting during his designated parent times.

I also sympathize and empathize with you about the fear of this spreading and being contagious but it is what it is and it really isn't that big of a deal. You do what you can, you take precautions, cover the weeping areas and do a lot of separation, cleaning and sanitizing.

Hang in there.

Parenting IS messy and icky and step parenting can be even worse at times but it still doesn't change the fact that DH is responsible during his designated visitation times..... contagious or not.

youretooloud 08:14 AM 06-07-2013
I think it's WAY overreacting. It doesn't even deserve caps.

But, I "get" it. I'd be a little grossed out, but not to the point of caps.

It's not really a worm. Just use good hygene, keep it covered, and use whatever medicine on it that she needs.
jenn 08:17 AM 06-07-2013
I can see why you would be concerned. My DCK's bring in enough germs and illness, I don't want to be purposely exposed to more.

However, in my experience, if ringworm is being treated and kept covered, you should not have any problems. I used to teach K and kids would come with ringworm. However, we didn't really have a problem with it spreading. If they didn't have it covered, we would just put a square bandaid on(not sure what they are called-ones that are adhesive on all 4 sides so that they can't scratch and touch it). I always made sure they washed their hands if they had been uncovered before arriving and I washed my hands after covering it.

A DCB had ringworm in several spots last summer, and it never spread to anyone. They treated it and covered it at home. I just told the other parents to be on the look out for symptoms, but we had no problems.

Good luck!
sally 08:18 AM 06-07-2013
When my oldest daughter was about 3 she had gotten ringworm while at her biological fathers house. I took her to the dr and was told to put athletes foot cream on it and let it air out when possible and at other times keep a bandaid over it. I spoke with my daycare provider I had and (she was an amazing awesome person and had dealt with everything at some point LOL) she said as long as we kept it covered she could attend daycare. Within a week or 2 it was gone.
LaLa1923 08:18 AM 06-07-2013
Ok ladies, thank you! I will do my best to keep it covered and everything clean.....
itlw8 08:26 AM 06-07-2013
Oh as far as sanitizing no big deal either... make sure she has her own bath towel.. I use a fresh one every time any way... and sheets should be washed when she goes home. other than that put the cream on or if she has an oral med make sure she takes it every night .
Cradle2crayons 08:30 AM 06-07-2013
Really you don't have to do any EXTRA cleaning above and beyond what you normally do.

Yes, WAY over reacting

Just put a bandaid over it, put the medicine over it, etc.

Be sure she doesn't scratch at it.

Same hand washing you normally do unless she scratches at it.

No biggie really.
Michelle 09:27 AM 06-07-2013
Just curious... I have never dealt with ringworm.. but are the kids suppose to sleep overnight with the bandaid? I would think it would get and stay all moist.
Cradle2crayons 09:32 AM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Just curious... I have never dealt with ringworm.. but are the kids suppose to sleep overnight with the bandaid? I would think it would get and stay all moist.
At night it's recommended they are open to air. At least that's my experience. It heals quicker the more air it gets.
jessrlee 10:11 AM 06-07-2013
Ringworm isn't a huge deal. Put the cream and a bandaid on it and no one else should get it. I have a daycare boy that gets it constantly. His dr says it's like cold sores where it just seems to pop up on some people all of the time. We just bandage it, in the summer we also use some strechy wrap just in case.
Cradle2crayons 10:21 AM 06-07-2013
My daughter had it once as a small child. We used a home remedy our pediatrician uses. Worked like a charm. It was gone in three days. Not sure if its okay to say it here, I may get flamed. But it works for poison ivy type things and ringworm. Nobody else ever got it.
itlw8 10:30 AM 06-07-2013
may I say the first time I dealt with it I also Freaked.... same with the first time ds#1 got lice in kindergarten... you learn to deal with it. and believe me many more things will happen. Heck dil got MRSA when dgs was born. I had to go take care of him while she was in the hospital... At first everyone said no way you could expose the dc..... I explained I knew how to follow procedures and what I would do... dr said fine she knows what she is doing.

It really will get easier as your kids grow. Wait until you get the call at 2 am from a deputy...
Unregistered 10:46 AM 06-07-2013
I totally understand your frustration, especially if you are the one to have to make up for the lack of parenting on the other end. Unfortunately, it is your husbands responsibility to deal with whatever comes up during his parenting time.

I did have a daycare kid with it here once. It had to be kept covered at all times...actually it was during the summer and I also insisted the child wear long pants. Just wash everything when the child is done with it and insist on keeping it covered. It would also thoroughly clean the bathtub/shower/toilet seat after the child uses it.

I get your frustration; it's hard to be an overwhelmed stepmom and a daycare provider!
My3cents 11:37 AM 06-07-2013
Also, I would be the one to clean everything, I would be the one to cover it, I would be the main parent this weekend......like I am alll the time....
this sounds like more of a problem then the ring worm does- just saying

I agree with what Blackcat said......
spud912 04:08 PM 06-07-2013
I've had a child with ringworm before. The parents put a bandaid on it. It was hardly noticeable (I wouldn't have known had they not told me). It didn't bother dcg AT ALL.
Thetotspot 06:22 PM 06-07-2013
Seven years ago I found a spot of ringworm on my thigh right above my knee in the back. I have no idea how I got it. Yes, I was mortified. One of the cats ended up getting it as well. We did seclude the cat as you cannot control what a cat does and does not touch with the affected area and we didn't want our daughter to catch it. However, the only other precaution I took was to cover the affected area (I placed a bandaid over the ringworm and wore pants...LOL). Nobody else caught it. It takes a bit to go away and heal, but other than that there is nothing to it. Yes, it can be highly contagious if it is uncovered. If you are worried the child will remove the bandaid, you could always use a piece of pretty colored "horse wrap" to cover the bandaid. I really do feel that you are overreacting, it really is no big deal. Let your husband take the kids home with him!

Now, pink eye on the other hand, uh uh. We did have an incident at our daycare once where there was a pink eye scare. Once the parent told me, I told the parent that none of the children would be able to come into the daycare until the affected child had been on drops for 24 hours (because you can NOT stop a toddler from getting those germs everywhere, you would have to follow them with a bleach spray bottle!). Turned out it was just that, a scare, and the child was not affected, and they returned immediately. But not after I had already literally done infection control on the whole place. LOL!
AmyKidsCo 06:28 PM 06-07-2013
When I was in high school I caught ringworm from my best friends' barn cats. I had a half-dollar sized circle on my upper arm that I used an athlete's foot cream on and kept covered with a band-aid. No-one in my family caught it.

ITA that as long as you use good hygiene and keep it covered you should be fine.
Heidi 11:59 AM 06-10-2013
My boy's all got it from a stray cat years ago. They were 12, 10, and 3 at the time.

Our kind doctor gave us a sample pack of medication for fungus, which my older son's got a HUGE kick out of. You know...pink package, silhouette of lady on the beach...

It worked, but not before my 3yo had a bald spot on the top of his head the size of a half-dollar. When people asked what happened, my older son's said "he was a unicorn, and that's where his horn fell off".
Tags:ringworm
Reply Up