Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Won't Poop At Daycare - Center 4yo
Unregistered 01:58 PM 03-29-2011
We are really struggling with this issue. nothing is wrong physically, milk might be a trigger, dehydration could be an issue....but

My kid won't poop at school. He is fine after a day or two at home. This has never been an issue before.

Forget potty training. Two days at his new school and he was backed up for a week. They are really nice, its small, great place.

I have the note for no milk, I have been hydrating him as much as possible and we finally have the miralax script....but he HAS to be able to go back and Go. They will not make him drink all day....there are ACTIVITIES, you know.

What do I do?
And when do I dose the miralax to make it easy for everyone?

We switched last month for this and a few other reasons, but he loves his new school.
Yes, he is full time, and I just took a month off working out the transition.
MissAnn 03:37 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We are really struggling with this issue. nothing is wrong physically, milk might be a trigger, dehydration could be an issue....but

My kid won't poop at school. He is fine after a day or two at home. This has never been an issue before.

Forget potty training. Two days at his new school and he was backed up for a week. They are really nice, its small, great place.

I have the note for no milk, I have been hydrating him as much as possible and we finally have the miralax script....but he HAS to be able to go back and Go. They will not make him drink all day....there are ACTIVITIES, you know.

What do I do?
And when do I dose the miralax to make it easy for everyone?

We switched last month for this and a few other reasons, but he loves his new school.
Yes, he is full time, and I just took a month off working out the transition.
Some kids just choose to poop at home. I find it quite common. Hey...I only like to poop at home. As long as he poops, I think it's OK. I've had parents do the miralax....but why? If he poops at home....I'd say be
JenNJ 03:52 PM 03-29-2011
Is he going at home regularly? My son is also 4 and he doesnt poop at preschool. He isnt comfortable doing it there bc he likes privacy and actually likes to relax and read a book while going

Is him holding it causing the backup? Bc if so, there isnt much you or the school can do besides talk to him. Why are you so worried about him going each day? The typical range is 3 times per day to once every 3 days. Is he in that range.
momatheart 05:51 PM 03-29-2011
I work in a center with that age group and we have kids who are fine with pooping at school and others who are not. We have had the Mirilax given to kids as well.

We do not withhold water from children if they ask for it they get it. We have the kids bring water bottles and we keep those filled and the children help themselves to a drink. EVEN with our ACTIVITES that we do all day.

Ask that the teachers have him try and go potty after snacks and meals. Maybe wait a bit after the meal or snack to have him go this may help him to go. He will go eventually yet I still know of older kids who still hold it and wait until they get home. Some are just more comfortable at home.
youretooloud 06:38 PM 03-29-2011
I bet less than half the kids in preschool poop at school, the rest learn a good time to go at home.

Hopefully he can have water whenever he wants it. Maybe you could add a little juice to his diet, or flax. (flax works better than you'd expect, so maybe do that on a Friday just to see how it "goes")

Try messing with his diet a little bit.
Hunni Bee 07:08 PM 03-29-2011
I had a three year old not poop for three whole weeks...she just held it, she didnt like pooping. She didnt go at daycare or at home. The mom finally gave her a laxative one night and sent her to daycare the next morning...and it all came out, randomly. It scared her so bad she cried. And plus she pooped all over herself, the floor, it was awful...but you could tell she felt much better.

But the mom didnt tell us she gave the child the laxative...she told us after we called her...then takes the dcg home, bathes her and asks can she come back that day!
Candyland 07:35 PM 03-29-2011
he may need some fiber in his diet; and prunes are just as good too!
Cat Herder 03:16 AM 03-30-2011
Both of my sons rush off the bus everyday and hit the bathrooms.

"The afternoon fog out" as my daughter calls it because of the cloud in the hallway.

It seems to be a very common thing.

I think they even touch on it in that old standby series "What to expect".

Here, It started in pre-k and is still the norm in the 6th.

Public restrooms on road trips are a huge battle, too.
daysofelijah 04:21 AM 03-30-2011
Like the others said it's pretty common for kids to not poop at daycare. I have kids that will avoid it at all costs to wait until they get home. One boy I have his mom says he won't poop anywhere but at home. I had a roommate in college as an ADULT that wouldn't poop anywhere but at home.

My dd (3) has bm issues too. I have to give her a dose of miralax every three-four days to help her stay regular. They also have fiber gummies (like vitamins) that help too.
laundrymom 05:34 AM 03-30-2011
After every meal here my kids get a piece of candy. If they are well behaved and use manners. That helps here. Sometimes I allow up to 3 pieces of candy. Did I mention it's candied plums? Otherwise known to outsiders of our program,..... Prunes. I think if he isn't going all week and pooping like Sunday night, I would add some fiber to his morning snack or breakfast at home. Then again on the way home. Plus a cup of water in the car. In a group setting individual care is difficult and as much as a center tries if you think he needs different care than he is getting maybe group care is not for him? Maybe try a smaller setting? Group care is highly scheduled and routine. My advice, first relax. Then try adding extra fiber in his time with you. Prunes, apples with skin , beans, etc. Good luck.
sharlan 02:15 PM 04-29-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Both of my sons rush off the bus everyday and hit the bathrooms.

"The afternoon fog out" as my daughter calls it because of the cloud in the hallway.

It seems to be a very common thing.

I think they even touch on it in that old standby series "What to expect".

Here, It started in pre-k and is still the norm in the 6th.

Public restrooms on road trips are a huge battle, too.

That's my 9 yo grandson. Walks through the door and tries to beat Grandpa to the downstairs bathroom. I prefer he runs upstairs because he has to strip down to nothing in order to poop.

My other dd just bought a "squatty potty" for her son to use in the nurse's office at school.
Unregistered 08:53 PM 04-29-2016
Why are you monitoring thr child's bowel movement so closely. Chill out - question mark over smiley face
Unregistered 07:24 AM 04-30-2016
Some adults won't go anywhere but home!
Tags:milk, won't go potty
Reply Up