Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Refuses to Drink Milk
Unregistered 12:45 PM 01-20-2011
We have an almost 3 yr old who used to LOVE milk. Always wanted it, would get upset if we told him "no more milk; water only". (at mealtimes he'd fill up on milk and not eat much for lunch or snack, so after one cup of milk, we'd tell him water only). He also wanted milk instead of juice if we served that. But all of a sudden he's started having a little fit if we give him milk. He always says he wants juice or water. If we give him water, he wants juice, though, so basically he just wants juice now. I thought if we just didn't give him any juice he'd soon learn that if he's thirsty enough he'll have to drink either milk or water. It can't be healthy for a child to drink so much juice and no other liquids. All that sugar alone isn't healthy. But he still insists on juice, even after I give him just water or milk. What do you all think about this? Is there anything we could do to help him accept water or milk again? So tired of the fits every meal/snack that we don't serve juice... his parents have also noticed this change in what he wants to drink, but they send him with his sippy cup full of juice, so I think they're just enabling him to continue insisting on juice. We're on the food program, so we can't let him have juice all day. Your input?
AnythingsPossible 12:49 PM 01-20-2011
Sounds to me like little guy is on a power trip and it's working at home as they send him with juice. Stick to your rules and whatever your serving. Don't give him something different. If he doesn't want the milk, fine, you can't make him drink it, but don't offer him something else. Serve his milk at meal time and have water always available. He will drink what is available if he is thirsty. Don't give in to the tantrum, ignore it, tell him what his option is, and walk away. If he continues on his fit, place him in your time out, cool off, thinking spot, whatever you use and go on with your day.
Live and Learn 01:15 PM 01-20-2011
Water or milk ONLY!...don't budge.
Parents can let him drink all the juice they want at their house.
lvt77 03:00 PM 01-20-2011
I would talk to mom and dad about it. Let them know that the food program will not allow it. Juice can lead to tooth decay as well as diarrhea, which leads to dehydration, Which will eventually shut his kidneys down. I would tell the parents that you are concerned for him. This may sound extreme, but it may get their attention.
So they are not doing him any favors and they aren’t doing you any either.

I had a DCG same thing and after telling the parents that if she could not comply with the food program rules that they would need to be removed from the food program and bring their own food.
This worked for me.
Annette 04:01 AM 01-21-2011
I'm not in the food program, and have had several children through the years not want milk. It is certainly not something I will sweat about. Too many more important things to worry about. Just offer the milk, if he says no, water only. There are many other ways for a child to get their calcium ie. cheeses, yogurt etc.
MarinaVanessa 12:24 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Water or milk ONLY!...don't budge.
Parents can let him drink all the juice they want at their house.
Yes I agree. I have a 3yo DCG that;s this way too. I serve her milk and if she doesn't like it she can drink water. At snack all of the other kids get juice, this little girl gets her cup of milk and no juice until the milk is gone otherwise she gets water. It seems to work because this week she drank all of her milk although very slowly .
Tags:milk, won't drink milk
Reply Up