Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hair Barrettes
lvt77 02:03 PM 01-26-2011
sorry tons of questions today....
what is your take on hair barretts? Even though it says in my PHB Not to wear them, every girl here has them in their hair daily. They are usually lost within the hour of getting here. My concern is not the loss, but the choking hazard that it imposes....

What is your rule on them??
Cat Herder 02:08 PM 01-26-2011
Not allowed here.

Only small vinyl bands for pony tails.
DCMomOf3 02:29 PM 01-26-2011
I don't have anything in my policies that address them. i just take them out and put them in the child's bin if they are an issue and either hand them to mom or put them back in when mom picks up.
mickey2 02:57 PM 01-26-2011
I just take them out as soon as mom leaves and put them in the child's cubby.
Zoe 03:38 PM 01-26-2011
That was a discussion at our CPR class! Anything in the hair: ties, bobby pins, hair clips, etc. gets TAKEN OUT! The kids can look pretty later! Daycare time is play time, and their hair is going to get messed up anyway. Save yourself the risk and the hassle and give them back to mom at the door!
lvt77 03:50 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
That was a discussion at our CPR class! Anything in the hair: ties, bobby pins, hair clips, etc. gets TAKEN OUT! The kids can look pretty later! Daycare time is play time, and their hair is going to get messed up anyway. Save yourself the risk and the hassle and give them back to mom at the door!
wow really thanks for the feed back..
I am rewriting my PHB and this has been an issue for sometime now with all of the DCG. Even though its already in my PHB they still do it... I will have them remove all of them at the door. Thanks
QualiTcare 05:31 PM 01-26-2011
there's nothing worse than a kid whose hair is too short for a pony tail and they spend all day wiping food in their hair while pushing it out of the way or getting hair stuck to their face in snot when their nose runs.

kids with really curly hair have that problem the most IMO. they do make barrettes that stay in tight to clip hair back vs having cute ones in bc they look pretty. if you don't want to be a hair accessory monitor, i'd specify the type/brand that you know to work or keep some of your own to use. i think that's what nannyde does.
jenh171 06:33 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I don't have anything in my policies that address them. i just take them out and put them in the child's bin if they are an issue and either hand them to mom or put them back in when mom picks up.
This is exactly what I do.
lvt77 07:06 PM 01-26-2011
while this sounds great, it would not work here. I teach a preschool program and sometimes kids are dropped off in the middle of class. The parents bring them to the class room and drop and run. I am usually in the middle of teaching, so I dont get to stop to talk to parent or attend to a matter. The worst part is that the only people who drop off during class time are all the parents of the girls....
When I remember and if they have not already fallen out, I do take them away and put them up until they leave. They go home in a zip lock bag....just really want to avoid the whole situaion really...

I like the idea of catherder, I hope this will work...

Thank you though for your time....
SilverSabre25 07:07 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
The only issue I have with that statement is that it's often not for looking pretty...it's for keeping the hair out of the face and eyes. Sure, it happens to be cute at the same time, but it's not good for their vision to have their hair flopping in their face all the time, and it's not safe either for their vision to be obstructed.

If it comes out or is an issue, I'll usually replace it once. After that, I tuck it away and hand it back at pick-up. Not punitively, just common sense.
lvt77 07:14 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
The only issue I have with that statement is that it's often not for looking pretty...it's for keeping the hair out of the face and eyes. Sure, it happens to be cute at the same time, but it's not good for their vision to have their hair flopping in their face all the time, and it's not safe either for their vision to be obstructed.

If it comes out or is an issue, I'll usually replace it once. After that, I tuck it away and hand it back at pick-up. Not punitively, just common sense.
I agree with what you are saying. however, I think that using a safe product is the best thing that can be done. something like what catherder said in her recent post above.
SilverSabre25 09:20 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I agree with what you are saying. however, I think that using a safe product is the best thing that can be done. something like what catherder said in her recent post above.
I know; I'm all for using something safe. It's just hard to find sometimes as munchkins are good at defeating them. I was responding to the idea that hair ties are purely for show and not at all for functionality...because I don't agree.
countrymom 06:07 AM 01-27-2011
I allow them here, nothing worse than messy hair, hair in eyes and face, hair stuck to snotty nose. I have never had kids eat hairclips, as a matter of fact they come and give me the clips if they find them. but is rare that hairclips fall out.
I have 3 girls and I clip their hair up everyday.
also by clipping the hair up, also helps prevent head lice.
Lilbutterflie 06:20 AM 01-27-2011
I haven't had this problem come up yet. I have one girl, and often I'm the one doing her hair b/c it's always in her face & I keep my own stash of rubber bands and things. If I do put a barrett in her hair, it's the clip kind that clips next to the vinyl band so it won't come out. I can see how just a simple "slip on" barrett can easily come off if the hair is also not secured by a vinyl band.

If it's becoming a choking hazard problem with them being left behind on the floor, I would send out a newsletter to all of the parents saying that due to recent events & concern for choking hazards; hair accessories are no longer allowed unless it is a simple vinyl band or pony tail.
Tags:barrettes, hair products, offtopic - barrettes
Reply Up