Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Friendly States For Home Childcare Providers?
hawaiianscorpion 06:57 AM 10-24-2013
Hi everyone! My husband is going to retire from the military next year and we are still undecided on where to settle down! We are not attached to any certain states but Hawaii and Oklahoma (our home states) are kinda/sorta off the table. I plan to continue being a home child care provider in our new home.

What states are friendly to home child care provider? Meaning they (DHS) will help you get started in the most efficient and quickest way possible and will help guide you with your business.

What states help home child care providers SUCCEED? Meaning different programs, grants, incentives, etc. I want to be able to succeed and grow as a home business without too much out of pocket expenses.

Thank you for your time!
nannyde 07:07 AM 10-24-2013
If you find a State that offers what you would like, remember that the competition is going to be fierce. If you can start up a business with little upfront money AND have the State subsidize with grants and promoting your business there will be LEGIONS of people going into it. If you can find that in any business you will have tons of people go into it.

There will be many start ups and a ton of turnover but that provider who is new with the easy start up will be THE daycare provider in the area. There may be tons of them with high turnover but they will serve the bulk of the kids on the market.

Be careful what you ask for for you shall surely get it.
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Be careful what you ask for for you shall surely get it.
Isn't it the truth.

Personally I'd recommend finding somewhere you want to live (can afford easily, like the entertainment options, love the land) then find a niche market to serve.

THAT was my plan and so far it has panned out beautifully.
Meeko 09:57 AM 10-24-2013
I love Utah. Of course some things make me roll my eyes...but licensing is fair and consistent. State funds from welfare parents are paid on time and in advance. We are always being told by state workers that we are a team and it's not us v them. That seems true for the most part. I was licensed before in Oklahoma ( Altus) and it wasn't so easy as I have it now.
And then there's the beauty of Utah......stunning.!!!!!
BrooklynM 10:40 AM 10-24-2013
I feel like I live in the best place on earth. I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay area. It's expensive to live, but we have AMAZING weather, we care close to everything and there is a huge need for good infant care. Do you guys have kids? The schools are also excellent.

Come to California!
TwinKristi 02:32 PM 10-24-2013
Depending on where you live in CA, it can be very daycare friendly. Out local
R&R has several classes on starting a daycare, getting licensed and finding clients and the First 5 program offers site improvement grants twice a year. The COL is high but so is the cost of services. You can easily charge twice what some other states charge for care. $50 vs $25 a day.
Heidi 03:08 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Depending on where you live in CA, it can be very daycare friendly. Out local
R&R has several classes on starting a daycare, getting licensed and finding clients and the First 5 program offers site improvement grants twice a year. The COL is high but so is the cost of services. You can easily charge twice what some other states charge for care. $50 vs $25 a day.
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I feel like I live in the best place on earth. I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay area. It's expensive to live, but we have AMAZING weather, we care close to everything and there is a huge need for good infant care. Do you guys have kids? The schools are also excellent.

Come to California!
Hey, I finally learned how to use Multiquote!

I want to move to CALI!
blandino 03:58 PM 10-24-2013
I would actually have to say that Oklahoma is not the place to be.

DHS is not consistent and isn't fair, and is very parent focused instead of supporting providers.

Also, if you accept state subsidy payments you can't charge clients the difference. From what I gather on the boards, most states allow you to charge the difference between the state's reimbursement rate and your rate. So IF you decide to take state subsidy in OK, you get a whopping $67.50 a week for full-time.
KidGrind 04:30 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I would actually have to say that Oklahoma is not the place to be.

DHS is not consistent and isn't fair, and is very parent focused instead of supporting providers.

Also, if you accept state subsidy payments you can't charge clients the difference. From what I gather on the boards, most states allow you to charge the difference between the state's reimbursement rate and your rate. So IF you decide to take state subsidy in OK, you get a whopping $67.50 a week for full-time.

Cradle2crayons 05:07 PM 10-24-2013
Despite all the news reports otherwise, I'd never live anywhere but Mississippi.

There IS good education here, if you do yur research. Great country living. Cost of living is good. Daycare market is good.

You can watch 5 kids without needing licensing and the NHI and cda programs here help you start yur daycare, do your business side of it, even provide you with THOUSANDS of dollars worth of start up toys and equipment. Can't beat that!!

And as far as state subsidy, you CAN charge the difference.
Michael 05:10 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:

Come to California!
The rates are higher but so is everything else. Sunshine for 350 days out of the year has to be worth something though.
SilverSabre25 09:21 PM 10-24-2013
If you want a lack of government meddling in your daycare Ohio is GREAT! Watch up to six kids with no license
daycare 10:15 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
The rates are higher but so is everything else. Sunshine for 350 days out of the year has to be worth something though.
Yes Michael but that depends on where you live in ca.
I miss Newport Beach. Now you're talking 350 days of perfect weather but you are also paying an arm and a leg to live there.

I moved to the Bay Area I pay more than I did in Newport and I hate the weather here. It's too cold in the winter and too stinkin hot in the summer.
Tags:daycare environment, military
Reply Up