Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CALIFORNIA Providers - Reminder
sharlan 01:24 PM 07-06-2016
You must have your pertussis, measles, and flu immunizations before September 1, 2016. It will be considered a violation if you don't.

Evidently my insurance company doesn't cover adult immunizations. I'm on hold with them now.
Thriftylady 01:33 PM 07-06-2016
Most insurance companies don't cover them for adults. And here even kids have to have them at the health dept, because the doctors don't even order them due to the small amounts the insurance will pay on them, they loose money. Most health departments do a sliding scale fee.

But now my question, what if you can't have them? A few years ago I got a flu shot and got very sick. They think I had some strange thing that it can cause, that can cause horrible things up to and including death. Obviously I didn't have it that bad, but I wanted to die! They told me I could never have another flu shot, and I am not sure I ever want any other vaccine. What do you do then? They think I may have had this, but they are not sure. They didn't do any actual test for it or anything. All I know for sure is I was a very sick lady!
sharlan 01:46 PM 07-06-2016
We can waive the flu shot, but not the others.

Glad I didn't wait until the last second. My doctor doesn't keep the vaccines in stock and couldn't find someone who did. Back to the insurance company.
sharlan 02:21 PM 07-06-2016
I called Sam's Club, they carry the immunizations. The DTAP is $50 and the MMR is $85.
Thriftylady 02:34 PM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I called Sam's Club, they carry the immunizations. The DTAP is $50 and the MMR is $85.
I would still call the health dept. I have never paid more than $20 for one there.
sharlan 02:40 PM 07-06-2016
I'm on hold with my insurance. I have the number for the health dept in front of me, just in case.
Cat Herder 02:42 PM 07-06-2016
I thought it was a HIPAA violation for them to require proof.
Thriftylady 02:52 PM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Now there is a good question!
sharlan 03:11 PM 07-06-2016
We have to provide proof. We have to provide proof of TB tests when we apply for our licenses, too.

I called the health department - they charge $125 for both immunizations.

Per my Dr and the insurance company, I have to make an appointment with my doctor, they have to turn in a prior authorization notifying the insurance company that they don't have access to the immunizations, the insurance company will then send me to a pharmacy.

What a hassle.
Thriftylady 03:32 PM 07-06-2016
We have to provide proof. We have to provide proof of TB tests when we apply for our licenses, too.

I called the health department - they charge $125 for both immunizations.

Per my Dr and the insurance company, I have to make an appointment with my doctor, they have to turn in a prior authorization notifying the insurance company that they don't have access to the immunizations, the insurance company will then send me to a pharmacy.

What a hassle.
So I guess what is cheaper the $125 or the co pays?
sharlan 03:46 PM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So I guess what is cheaper the $125 or the co pays?
No copay, just several trips to the Dr's office.
NillaWafers 03:55 PM 07-06-2016
Psheww, I've already had all of those because I brought home a preemie three years ago. I guess I just have to find proof. I haven't had the flu vaccine though >_>, not sure what the point would be in the middle of summer...
Thriftylady 03:59 PM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Psheww, I've already had all of those because I brought home a preemie three years ago. I guess I just have to find proof. I haven't had the flu vaccine though >_>, not sure what the point would be in the middle of summer...
Actually you can't get it in summer I don't think. They are busy seeing what the new strain will be and developing a vaccine. And those are yearly. I guess you have to prove it every year?
sharlan 04:40 PM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
You can get a dr's note/waiver for the flu shot.

Find proof, they'll be asking for it.
sharlan 04:41 PM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Actually you can't get it in summer I don't think. They are busy seeing what the new strain will be and developing a vaccine. And those are yearly. I guess you have to prove it every year?
I am going to get a waiver as "I" don't believe in the flu shot.
spedmommy4 09:50 PM 07-06-2016
You might be right. The requirement for adults to disclose vaccine information applies to healthcare workers but there is no exception listed for adults in childcare settings. Hmmm . . .
CityGarden 10:02 PM 07-06-2016
Interesting, thanks for the heads up.
Cat Herder 05:15 AM 07-07-2016
For those of us who don't have this reg, but most likely soon will; Can you give their reasoning?

I am hearing it is in response to the "anti-vax" movement leading to recent outbreaks. Any truth to that?
Blackcat31 05:19 AM 07-07-2016
It's not a HIPAA violation.

You (the provider) are agreeing to disclose as part of your licensing process.

HIPAA also only applies to certain entities. It's not a blanket rule for everyone.

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa

https://www.worldprivacyforum.org/20...hipaaguide9-2/
Blackcat31 05:24 AM 07-07-2016
For those of us who don't have this reg, but most likely soon will; Can you give their reasoning?

I am hearing it is in response to the "anti-vax" movement leading to recent outbreaks. Any truth to that?
It doesn't necessarily explain why but here is the link to the actual bill/law change

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160SB792
Cat Herder 05:28 AM 07-07-2016
Thanks!
Blackcat31 05:31 AM 07-07-2016
Taken from the author of the bill:

"Comments:

1) According to the author, children in day care settings have close, intimate contact with each other and with the staff who work there. Many of these children are too young to be fully immunized against potentially serious communicable diseases.

Children who are too young to be vaccinated rely on those around them to be immunized to prevent the spread of disease (community immunity). This bill will protect children in day care by requiring those who care for them to maintain immunity.

Some diseases, such as the flu, cause only a relative inconvenience to healthy adults. However, this same disease can require hospitalization and perhaps even be fatal in an infant or an individual with a suppressed immune system.

Other diseases in the ACIP schedule include very serious conditions, formerly under control, that have resurfaced in recent years, including pertussis and measles.

By requiring vaccination for pre-school workers, vulnerable children will be “cocooned” from potentially serious illness, and day care centers will be a safe and healthy place for our little ones to learn and play."

Cat Herder 05:39 AM 07-07-2016
" For purposes of this section, “volunteer” means any nonemployee who provides care and supervision to children in care."

When doing background checks I was told by licensing that my husband and children, over 17, would be viewed as volunteers and required full background checks.

"Commencing September 1, 2016, a person shall not be employed or volunteer at a family day care home if he or she has not been immunized against influenza, pertussis, and measles. Each employee and volunteer shall receive an influenza vaccination between August 1 and December 1 of each year."

With that logic, would this new reg also apply? My entire family would need to update these? As long as they live under my roof and are on premises during daycare hours?

I don't mind doing it, just seeking clarification. Most of California's regs trickle down within 24 months...
spedmommy4 05:58 AM 07-07-2016
" For purposes of this section, “volunteer” means any nonemployee who provides care and supervision to children in care."

When doing background checks I was told by licensing that my husband and children, over 17, would be viewed as volunteers and required full background checks.

"Commencing September 1, 2016, a person shall not be employed or volunteer at a family day care home if he or she has not been immunized against influenza, pertussis, and measles. Each employee and volunteer shall receive an influenza vaccination between August 1 and December 1 of each year."

With that logic, would this new reg also apply? My entire family would need to update these? As long as they live under my roof and are on premises during daycare hours?

I don't mind doing it, just seeking clarification. Most of California's regs trickle down within 24 months...
No, I attended an information session on this before I left California. Only the licensee. If your spouse in on the license or subs, then yes. Otherwise, no. And if the provider doesn't believe in vaccinations, the bill doesn't require the provider to vaccinate his or her children.
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 07-07-2016
a little off the topic but in the same bill:

An applicant for licensure as a family day care home for children shall file with the department, pursuant to its regulations, an application on forms furnished by the department, which shall include, but not be limited to, all of the following:

(a) A brief statement confirming that the applicant is financially secure to operate a family day care home for children. The department shall not require any other specific or detailed financial disclosure.

I'd be a little offended at having to state that I am or am not financially secure not to mention that is a fairly broad statement but one I find laughable... wonder how they would decide/enforce something like that?

Sorry current residents but California is weird.

Just sayin'
CalCare 07:25 AM 07-07-2016
For that last one (BC), we are just supposed to say yes, we are financially secure. They don't get any evidence for it.

For the SB792, I think it's ludicrous. They're saying we can't do our jobs unless they get to inject us with whatever they want- no say from us. Look, I vaccinate my kids, but just the principle of this bill is insane to me. I wrote Das Williams, my assemblyman, and I didn't do anything else But what could we do? My friends got signatures on petitions. It didn't do anything. People saw it as those crazies who don't believe in vaccinating. No one sees that this is the government mandating people to get injections with no outs. There are no religious or philosophical exemptions. If you want to work in the profession you have spent your life in- years of education, years of experience, you are forced to get injections. It honestly blows my mind!
sharlan 08:00 AM 07-07-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
No, I attended an information session on this before I left California. Only the licensee. If your spouse in on the license or subs, then yes. Otherwise, no. And if the provider doesn't believe in vaccinations, the bill doesn't require the provider to vaccinate his or her children.
I was told yesterday that everyone who "comes in contact" with the kids needed to be immunized.
sharlan 08:04 AM 07-07-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
a little off the topic but in the same bill:

An applicant for licensure as a family day care home for children shall file with the department, pursuant to its regulations, an application on forms furnished by the department, which shall include, but not be limited to, all of the following:

(a) A brief statement confirming that the applicant is financially secure to operate a family day care home for children. The department shall not require any other specific or detailed financial disclosure.

I'd be a little offended at having to state that I am or am not financially secure not to mention that is a fairly broad statement but one I find laughable... wonder how they would decide/enforce something like that?

Sorry current residents but California is weird.

Just sayin'
I was told that the purpose for this is to make sure that providers are able to provide food and other needs of the children. My refrigerator and pantry were inspected when I got my first license 25 years ago.
sharlan 08:09 AM 07-07-2016
Yes, CA is definitely unique in it's licensing.
sharlan 08:11 AM 07-07-2016
[I]" For purposes of this section, “volunteer” means any nonemployee who provides care and supervision to children in care." [/i]

Yes, anyone who comes in regular contact with the kids.
spedmommy4 09:49 AM 07-07-2016
I'm guessing that, just like everything else in California, it depends on your analysts interpretation. If your husband or child works all the hours that daycare kids are there, how would they reasonably justify it?

I was in the area for Sacramento. They only came out to check on us every three years. They were the ones that put on the presentation.
Annalee 10:54 AM 07-07-2016
Same here! Anyone age 15 and up and around the daycare children has to be fingerprinted....just had my own son fingerprinted!
mom2many 11:17 AM 07-07-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Same here! Anyone age 15 and up and around the daycare children has to be fingerprinted....just had my own son fingerprinted!
Unless something has recently changed, in CA, it is 18 years and older that need to be fingerprinted and have a TB test.
spedmommy4 01:19 PM 07-07-2016
Originally Posted by mom2many:
Unless something has recently changed, in CA, it is 18 years and older that need to be fingerprinted and have a TB test.
Yes, it is 18. I had to have my son fingerprinted the day after he turned 18. It is my understanding that juvenile records are generally "off limits."
SignMeUp 01:30 PM 07-07-2016
In MN I believe our own children age 13 and up must sign for a background check. It's been like that for many many years. No fingerprints so far though.

I had to have my father sign one two days before his death. He came out of the hospital to my house because they would not release him to his home. (Beside the point, and I "kind of" understand. But it sure bothered me to ask him to do that when he couldn't even sit up.)
grandmom 03:43 PM 07-07-2016
If licensing requires it, that makes it tax deductible. Keep your receipts.
sharlan 08:08 PM 07-07-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:

It is 18 and older.
sharlan 02:41 PM 07-15-2016
And the red tape has begun........

I went to my dr today. They will turn in a referral for the immunizations. When the insurance co approves it, the dr's office will notify them that they don't carry it and WILL NOT purchase it. Then, then the insurance co will find someone else to do it.

I talked to a fellow provider today, her dr wouldn't even submit a referral. He told her that she had to go to the health dept. It cost her $125. I have to have 5 adults immunized. 5 X 125 = $625 out of pocket. I just paid $450 for CPR/First Aid classes.
Tags:anti-vax, immunizations, non vaccinated, privacy - medical condition, regulations
Reply Up