Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Daycare Child And Screaming All Day
Unregistered 08:00 AM 05-22-2012
Hi, I would like some advice on how you might handle this situation, if you don't mind.
I just started with a new daycare child yesterday, who is 12 months old. Cute little bug, but has been screaming all day yesterday and today so far, not just a whining cry, but a mad scream. I pick her up, hold her, change her diaper, feed her and play with her and nothing seems to make her happy. I have been afraid to feed her to much food because she will have food in her mouth and start the screaming again and I am afraid she might choke. I told her Mom at pick up yesterday that she was not happy and cried most of the day and she really said not to much about it, just that the weekend was busy for them and she was out of sorts because of that, which could be the cause. I don't want to come off to the parents as tho I can't handle the screaming and lose her, but nothing seems to work to make her happy. I know it always takes a few weeks for a child to get used to a new daycare, so I'm hoping she will get used to me soon. I have done home daycare for over 20 yrs now and have had only one other child scream like this. I just laid her down for her am nap and she is still screaming, but nothing else seems to work. She is not sick or anything like that either. My daycare is small, only 2 kids, so she isn't bothering a lot of kids, the other one is also down for his am nap and sleeping good. Any advice would be appreciated.
SunshineMama 08:47 AM 05-22-2012
I always tell the kids, especially the new ones, that I am so happy they are here, and that I am going to take good care of them, and they will be safe and we have a lot of fun.

You would be surprised what a 12 month old understands

It may be a long shot but give it a try. Good luck!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:38 AM 05-22-2012
I would ask the mother to spend some time there with her, to help ease her transition. I expect parents to stay for at least the first day, and to do short days at the beginning whenever possible. Then the child can see how well the mother trusts you, you can observe how she handles her and do some things in a similar familiar way, the mom knows much more about your day, etc. It makes everyone start more at ease and confidently.

Also, I wonder if the mother's still nursing? Perhaps she could come by at lunchtime to do so and help her settle for nap?

Good luck! It's so heart-wrenching when they're so sad.
DaycareMom 09:47 AM 05-22-2012
This happened to me about a year ago. I had a 12 month old who had never been away from her parents. She cried all day while she was here. She only comes 2 days/week so it took her about a month to adjust, but she is now one of the happiest most well behaved children I have.

Hang in there! She just needs time to get to know you and adjust to her new schedule. It could take a couple weeks.
Childminder 10:31 AM 05-22-2012
I have a 2.5 year old that had never been away from mom and grandma, ever!
She cries the loudest, most obnoxious cry I have ever heard in 40+ years of child care! She has been with me since October and still cries every day. Now it is only for about 1-2 hours instead of the entire 8 but it still is HORRIBLE!

What we do for money. The other kids hate her and I tried EVERYTHING ever suggested to make it stop. Now we just put her in the sleep room and crank up the stereo until she decides to stop and join us.

Good luck. FYI, I have never had a child that cried more than a few days before.
Reply Up