Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have to Declare Diseases in a Daycare?
Unregistered 09:58 PM 01-31-2009
Do you have to declare diseases to put child in daycare? How would daycare prevents child contagious (example herpes) to another?
Unregistered 11:05 AM 02-01-2009
If i were you i would. Cause you are putting others at risk when you don't declare these types of things. Not to mention that teachers and staff just may jump to conclusions and accuse you of (just depends on the type of herpes) child abuse or even worse sexual abuse. FYI: if a childcare providers suspects abuse he/she doesn't not have to contact you before turning you in. So to save headaches and and possiable transmission of the herpes i would let them know!
GretasLittleFriends 06:43 AM 02-20-2009
Each state should have laws and rules listed through the Department of Human Services regarding Licensing of Daycare Facilities. Minnesota has the provider require that a child's parent notify the provider within 24 hours of the diagnosis of a serious contagious illness or parasitic infestation. I have it in my contract that it's grounds for immediate termination if the parent doesn't inform me, thus causing the other children in my facility to be exposed.

I would think that the provider who was going to care for a child with a disease should make the other parents aware, and also be trained on how to give specific care to prevent the spread of the disease.

Our state also has a nondiscrimination rule stating that "No caregiver shall discriminate in relation to admissions on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion or sex." This indicates that the provider does have the right to refuse to care for a contagious child. It is the providers duty to keep the best interest of the children in his/her care.
Tags:contagious diseases, illness policy, notice of sickness
Reply Up