Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips for Transitioning from PnP to Mats
Avalon_Mist 01:46 AM 06-14-2017
I'm currently trying to transition my older infants (ranging from 12 months to 22 months) from the PnPs to nap mats but it's been tough: they never stay lying down for long.

Does anyone have any advice on how to facilitate the transition? I'm considering buying little sleeping bags that could provide a swaddling effect so they can settle in better and not disturb others, but I don't know if that's crossing "straitjacket" territory since they are older infants.
bklsmum 03:28 AM 06-14-2017
This is why I wait to transition until they are either climbing out of the PNP's or turn 2. I have had no success trying various methods before either of those milestones.
TSDaycare 04:20 AM 06-14-2017
I've always waited until 2 when they are required by licensing to go on a mat. Never had a problem, they are always so exhausted and ready for sleep, they fall right to sleep. Never had any tried to climb out of PNP's either though.
daycarediva 04:31 AM 06-14-2017
I provide care for kids 18m and up. I no longer even start them in a pnp. Straight to a mat.

I sit by them and redirect every time they get up, gradually moving further away until they have the routine down. If it's a tough transition, we model at non-rest times, too. I leave the mats and blankets out and the kids always end up playing 'school' and 'rest time' with the older kids putting the younger kids to nap. (It's also super cute when they sing our songs or 'read' books to the littles)

I would say do 1-2 kids at a time, (sitting in between)
Annalee 05:16 AM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I provide care for kids 18m and up. I no longer even start them in a pnp. Straight to a mat.

I sit by them and redirect every time they get up, gradually moving further away until they have the routine down. If it's a tough transition, we model at non-rest times, too. I leave the mats and blankets out and the kids always end up playing 'school' and 'rest time' with the older kids putting the younger kids to nap. (It's also super cute when they sing our songs or 'read' books to the littles)

Similarly, we have a couch on each side of the room. My assistant sits on one side and I on the other at nap. We put new cot kids close to each of us. Mine go on cots at 12 months. I prefer cots to PNPs any day!
Leigh 07:38 AM 06-14-2017
I have found that the cots make it less likely for them to get up. With mats, it is just so easy for them to stand up and walk away, roll off and crawl around...cots seem to provide more of a boundary and are a little more difficult to get off of. Even if you had a cot only for the one transitioning, it could be worth it.
daycare 07:44 AM 06-14-2017

SAME here. I do exactly what she does...Don't worry Diva I am not stalking you...lol
daycarediva 09:09 AM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
SAME here. I do exactly what she does...Don't worry Diva I am not stalking you...lol
If you're doing what I do that only means I'm as awesome as you.
daycare 10:47 AM 06-14-2017
If you're doing what I do that only means I'm as awesome as you.
lol I completely agree with that...no arguments here...lol
hwichlaz 11:33 AM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
This is why I wait to transition until they are either climbing out of the PNP's or turn 2. I have had no success trying various methods before either of those milestones.
same

Licensing says a two-year-old can be in a PnP so that gives me some wiggle room. I start watching for readiness when they turn 2.
Avalon_Mist 02:15 PM 06-14-2017

Yeah, I recently changed the minimum age allowed from 6 months to 12 months with plans to gradually get rid of PnPs; any new kids I accept will use a mat right away. Thanks for the advice, for the DCKs I had before the min age change I think I'll just do one at time starting with the 22 month old.
flying_babyb 08:26 PM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by Avalon_Mist:
Thanks for the advice, for the DCKs I had before the min age change I think I'll just do one at time starting with the 22 month old.
THIS!!! i work in a center and its a one at a time transition or we are all in trouble!
Tags:transition from pack and play, transitioning - crib to cot
Reply Up