Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non Payment
EMC2 06:04 PM 08-27-2012
We have two part-time dc's of the same parents. Child #1 was removed from our daycare with a one day notice. Our contract clearly and specifically states that we require 4 weeks notice or a two week payment fee will be charged. In this case the fee is $200.00.

The child #2 is still in our program. In fact, a payment was given for child #2 when he was dropped off this afternoon, but no payment fee for child #1 was included.

Short of going to small claims court, how have you dealt with a non paying parents in this type of situation?

Thanks,
familyschoolcare 06:14 PM 08-27-2012
give them an invoice and a copy of thier signed contract
MN Day Mom 06:01 AM 08-28-2012
Why did child #1 leave? Will child #2 also be leaving?

I would definitely give them an invoice with a copy of their contract highlighting the notice/payment requirement.
EMC2 10:07 PM 08-28-2012
thanks for your responses. Child #1 left because the parents enrolled him in YMCA daycare. Child #1 is 6 years old and wanted to go where his friends are going.

We made another copy of the contract they signed and big argument about them losing money because they're now paying for our daycare as well as YMCA. The argument was between parents and my wife. Thankfully, I was at work or I may have blown up.

We eventually agreed to waive the fee this time, but should they "forget" or "didn't know" about the contract agreement when they decide to pull Child #2 out, we would charge them for both children. They agreed and appeared very happy.

Anyone else have this situation? Should we reduce the time for notification?
thatdivalady 01:15 AM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by EMC2:
thanks for your responses. Child #1 left because the parents enrolled him in YMCA daycare. Child #1 is 6 years old and wanted to go where his friends are going.

We made another copy of the contract they signed and big argument about them losing money because they're now paying for our daycare as well as YMCA. The argument was between parents and my wife. Thankfully, I was at work or I may have blown up.

We eventually agreed to waive the fee this time, but should they "forget" or "didn't know" about the contract agreement when they decide to pull Child #2 out, we would charge them for both children. They agreed and appeared very happy.

Anyone else have this situation? Should we reduce the time for notification?
I personally would not change my policies even with adversity. They were aware of what your expectations were and should have abided by them. If they chose to make a decision that caused them to be responsible for payment in two locations then that is their problem. First of all they should have communicated their desire to remove the child ahead of time, one day's notice is really no notice at all. However, I can understand if you guys made the agreement because you wanted to keep the other child without further issue since they were so adamant about it. Honestly, that's why I charge the last weeks deposit upfront. This way it doesn't matter whether they actually give notice or not, I'm covered.
MarinaVanessa 08:14 AM 08-29-2012
I personally wouldn't have let it slide either. The one month's notice is not the norm in my area however I have heard of providers requiring a 1 month notice in writing. Two week's notice is more common, in either case the parent would still have had to pay for the two weeks.

Sounds to me that the parents are "happy" with the "new arrangement" because they got exactly what they wanted ... not to have to pay for the termination penalty. Don't count on them keeping up with "new arrangement" should they pull their other child out later when you've already altered the contract once for them. Still to be better prepared have the parents both sign a contract that says everything that happened and what your wife told them. How they terminated without the propper notice, the date of termination, how they refused to pay the termination fee, if they don't give propper notice for the 2nd child they get charged for both kids etc. and attach a copy of the original policy. Make sure you add the part that says you waived the original termination fee but only if they gave proper notice of termination for the 2nd.

You might want to think about lowering your terminiation notice period to 2 weeks instead of 4 weeks (totally your call) and requiring that each client pays a 2 week deposit before starting which will cover their last 2 weeks of childcare. This way if they ever just spring up and pull their child suddenly the 2 week period is already paid for. I only say 2 week termination period because paying a 4 week deposit is hard for most people. Even a 2 week deposit is difficult to pay in full all at once for my clients so I allow some of them to pay it in $50 payments. Just a thought
Reply Up