Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are Swingsets A Thing Of The Past?
youretooloud 11:27 AM 10-13-2011
I took the kids to the park, and realized (after six years of being here) that our park only has only two swings. Growing up, our parks had at least 12.

I don't have a swing set in my yard anymore because our yard is too small, it would be unsafe.

So, I let the kids take turns on the two silly swings. Not even the four year olds know how to pump themselves. I was kinda surprised.

None of these kids have a swing in the backyard, and apparently there aren't many left on the playgrounds.

What is going on with swings?
kendallina 11:30 AM 10-13-2011
A lot of schools and childcare centers are doing away with swings. They are too dangerous .

Please sense my sarcasm...

It's sad- swings and movement are actually very beneficial to the growing brain (let me see if I can find some research links on this...).
Meyou 11:32 AM 10-13-2011
They're probably too dangerous. Everything else is. lol We dont have them at many parks here. The two I use the most dont have any.
nannyde 11:42 AM 10-13-2011
Swingsets and climbing equipment will eventually go away just like recess. Too much liability and no adults willing to supervise it or manage the poorly behaving children in an uncontrolled outdoor setting.

This generation of children need really really intensive supervision to keep them from harming themselves or others. It's SO much work and it's SO risky and costly if there are any injuries. Cities and school districts are trying to eliminate as much work and liability as they possibly can.
mom2many 11:52 AM 10-13-2011
The liability and risk of being sued is making it so much different for this generation and those to come. I used to have a playground structure in my backyard and decided 15 years ago to get rid of it. I never had an injury, but it always made me nervous. We now rely on park days and use the city's play equipment. I'm always extra vigilant and cautious around the swings with my dcks...I've seen too many close calls with kids & parents not paying attention.
cheerfuldom 11:58 AM 10-13-2011
this is so sad. we have great parks in my area and we have a nice backyard WITH swings. I understand the liability but sheesh.
morgan24 12:04 PM 10-13-2011
I did away with anything that was over 3' high, that included my swings & climbers. The state changed the rules a couple of years ago and we had to put down pea gravel, bark or sand. I don't remember the amounts but it had to have so many inches of sand and be so many feet around for the fall zone. It was cheaper for me to sell them. Now we just have trucks, sand toys, balls, small bikes, wagons, and some outside games.
mom2many 12:05 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
this is so sad. we have great parks in my area and we have a nice backyard WITH swings. I understand the liability but sheesh.
I so agree...it's a shame that kids just can't be kids.
NiNi.R. 12:30 PM 10-13-2011
When I was little my school park had a merry-go-round, teeter totters, swings, and a HUGE slide. All have been ripped out ...Before you know it children will only be allowed to play in a bubble wrapped "safe" room.

It's a shame really. Of course nobody WANTS their child to get hurt but it happens. When did it become wrong to tell your kid to "shake it off, your tough"
youretooloud 01:07 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
When I was little my school park had a merry-go-round, teeter totters, swings, and a HUGE slide.
I always got sick on Merry go rounds.... But, in my entire life, I've never known a single kid who got hurt on one.... teenagers and grown men do, but kids seem to have common sense.

When my kids have kids of their own, I hope they live in a house with a big yard, and I will buy them a huge swingset and climber, because my grandkids will always get to play.
youretooloud 01:08 PM 10-13-2011
Does anybody remember those uneven bars at school? We would bring a jacket or sweater so we could twirl without hurting our legs.

I bet those are gone too.
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Does anybody remember those uneven bars at school? We would bring a jacket or sweater so we could twirl without hurting our legs.

LOVED them!! Swung around them a couple times in 1st grade and apparently didn't understand gravity too well and fell and put my front teeth through my bottom lip. 14 stitches inside my lip and 12 on the outside.

My DH says Old School playground equipment was designed to weed out the sissies!
permanentvacation 01:21 PM 10-13-2011
Pretty much! Swings are dangerous. Kids fall off the back of them, kick other kids that get in front of them, get their swings high and jump out of them.

They are around in some parks, they are still sold to the general public, but many people are not installing them or buying them for liability reasons and just to not have the hassle of dealing with kids getting hurt.

I LOVED swings, so did my personal children. I had a swingset years ago for daycare, but haven't had one for years and most likely would never get one again for liability and hassle reasons.
2ndFamilyDC 01:34 PM 10-13-2011
I used to swing for hours when I was a kid. I remember the park by me had about a dozen. I have to say I have not been to a park now in about 15 years, so do not know how many swings they have. I have swings in my backyard for the kids and teach them to pump if they want to go on them.
kendallina 03:03 PM 10-13-2011
The school right behind me has swings (many, many swings!) and we take my daughter over there all the time. I LOVE swinging! I don't take the preschoolers, but when I watch just 2 girls (plus DD) in the afternoons I sometimes take them over there.
nannyde 03:39 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
The school right behind me has swings (many, many swings!) and we take my daughter over there all the time. I LOVE swinging! I don't take the preschoolers, but when I watch just 2 girls (plus DD) in the afternoons I sometimes take them over there.
My son goes to a middle school and elementary complex that started in 2003. They have two playgrounds... a preK and kindy playground and then a first thru fifth grade that has FOUR acres of land. They do not have a swingset on either play ground.
Kaddidle Care 03:56 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Swingsets and climbing equipment will eventually go away just like recess. Too much liability and no adults willing to supervise it or manage the poorly behaving children in an uncontrolled outdoor setting.

This generation of children need really really intensive supervision to keep them from harming themselves or others. It's SO much work and it's SO risky and costly if there are any injuries. Cities and school districts are trying to eliminate as much work and liability as they possibly can.
Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

First, you actually have to tell the child not to walk in front or behind the swing when it's in use. This requires a child that actually listens and obeys.

2nd, you have to either get on one and SHOW them how to pump or explain it in detail and stand there, watch and encourage them once they can do it.

Yes, it takes adult input and interaction with the child. Too much for some of today's parents.

I brought my son to a park to play one time - he immediately ran off to play with another child there. I kept glancing over from time to time at this man (Daddy I presume) pushing a child on a kiddie swing -( the one's where the child's legs drop through the seat). He was talking on his cell phone the ENTIRE TIME. It was just sad to me.

I'm waiting for bicycles to disappear next. I can't tell you how many children I have taught how to push the pedals down on a trike because they've never been taught or never owned one.
MissAnn 05:32 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Too much liability and no adults willing to supervise it or manage the poorly behaving children in an uncontrolled outdoor setting.

Depending on where you live....the rules and regs have gotten to the point that many are taking out any climbers and swing sets. Our regs are about to change and I believe we have to have 9 inches of cushiony material that needs to be raked out evenly daily before children are allowed to use the climbers. Anything over 12 inches is considered a climber. So, it's not people whow are not willing to supervise....but rules and regs that are too expensive and high maintenance.
pixsydust 07:53 PM 10-13-2011
My daycare consultant actually told me NOT to buy a swingset or put swings up anywhere because it was so dangerous and such a liability. I couldn't believe it.
countrymom 06:36 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

YES!!!! those were the best, and so many kids wanted to go on that you had to wait your turn and sometimes you would spend your whole recesses waiting but once you got on, it was the best thrill, along with the calusses on my hands.

my house has swings, teeter totter and anything a kid wants to be a kid, now at recess my kids can't even bring out balls to play with if the yard is wet.
sharlan 11:11 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

First, you actually have to tell the child not to walk in front or behind the swing when it's in use. This requires a child that actually listens and obeys.

2nd, you have to either get on one and SHOW them how to pump or explain it in detail and stand there, watch and encourage them once they can do it.

Yes, it takes adult input and interaction with the child. Too much for some of today's parents.

I brought my son to a park to play one time - he immediately ran off to play with another child there. I kept glancing over from time to time at this man (Daddy I presume) pushing a child on a kiddie swing -( the one's where the child's legs drop through the seat). He was talking on his cell phone the ENTIRE TIME. It was just sad to me.

I'm waiting for bicycles to disappear next. I can't tell you how many children I have taught how to push the pedals down on a trike because they've never been taught or never owned one.
I had to teach my 8 yo how to ride a bike without training wheels. Even my 3 yo can ride without training wheels. The 8 yo fell 2 weeks ago and got a scratch on his chest, no more bike for him. $120 down the drain.
Solandia 11:23 AM 10-14-2011
I don't like the swings at our park within walking distance. The chains are rubber coated, and not long enough...it doesn't glide easily, so you have to pump harder & it slows down too fast. It is more work than fun, I cant blame the kids for wanting to be pushed.

The park by the high school has the tall, old style swings...I still enjoy swinging on those when we take the girls. You can even do the winding/unwinding yourself to spin in circles.

i do not have a playset at my house, either. With the boys I have, it takes all the fun out of having the darn thing. I do not need anyone jumping/pushing off the top of the slide, or getting kicked on the way down. We have a huge sandbox instead. Even the toddler slide required too much intervention by me. I LOVE being outdoors, but having to be within arms reach of everyone in the backyard would quickly make me dread outside time.
Reply Up