Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Whould you stay open or close??
OPEN 1 3.85%
CLOSE 25 96.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do...
pfund2233 10:51 AM 07-11-2011
Would you have closed your daycare or stayed open?

My husband is in Canada on a fishing trip so I am home alone with our girls 5 and years old. I have a medical condition called Medallary Sponge Kidney that causes kidney stones. I started to pass a stone about 11pm last night and was up about every 1.5hrs in discomfort or pain. About 430am it was sooo painful... (it's not a pain I would wish on anyone) I was ready to call my brother to have him come stay with my girls while I went to the ER then remembered he had his daughter and I didn't want him dragging her outta bed. So I suffered threw. My first DCB comes at 545am. I wasn't feeling the tad bit better until almost 9am. I still haven't passed it and have pain every now and then.

FYI: Thank the lord I actually took today off prior to all of this for an appointment but I was wondering what I would have done if I wasn't scheduled to be closed...
MarinaVanessa 10:58 AM 07-11-2011
I would deffinetely close. I know you're probably worried about what the DC families will think but can you honestly say that you can take good care of them while poor you is suffering? Your job is to provide quality care and the most important thing is to take care of their provider ... um, THAT'S YOU in case you havn't noticed!!

Hope you do ok. If you feel you need to go to the ER then by golly GO TO THE ER!!!
My Daycare 11:18 AM 07-11-2011
I would have closed! Those hurt! I am dreading ever getting one again. I have only had one big one and I lost 8 pounds that night from thrashing around in pain and kept it off.
Cat Herder 11:44 AM 07-11-2011
Dialysis is not "pretty".

Take care of you.

Sorry you hurt.....
AfterSchoolMom 12:06 PM 07-11-2011
I get stones too, and it's a pain like no other. I'd definitely close. People who've never had them can not realize how horrible they are.
pfund2233 12:42 PM 07-11-2011
Thank you all soooo much for putting my mind at ease with this issue. I have to remember I need to put me first sometimes. Thanks for the reminder!!
Christian Mother 12:46 PM 07-11-2011
I know your pain!! I am sooo sorry!! And your alone with your kids!! Last yr I got them. I woke up out of a dead sleep thinking at first I had a bladder infection and then the pain moved to my kidney's. I had never had one before and I was thinking if I just took some over the counter med's it would help. But nothing helps but morphine. And even that is awful bc it makes you dizzy and your sick to your stomach. That's where I ended up and found that I had dozen of kidney stones in both kidneys and ended up having to have an emergency surgery to take care of one side of my kidney's bc they where to big to pass on my own. The following surgery for the other side was scheduled for the following month and I was in a panic that they'd come sooner then the surgery. I've had it one other time since the last surgery and I can tell you I don't touch any kind of drink that can help the process of dehydration like coffee or colored soda's. I never want to go through that again. I ashually had to work the last time I went to the hospital and had to call all my parents to come and pick up there kids bc I needed to go to the hospital asap. I couldn't stop throwing up in the bathroom...it was awful!! I hope your able to pass it. The only thing that helped was walking around the house drinking water so i could pee and pee and pee but here's a point when the pain is sooo bad that your just throwing up the water you consumed. I hope your getting help at the hospital!!
littlemissmuffet 03:19 PM 07-11-2011
Ack, I accidently voted "open" - but without a doubt, and without a single thought I would have closed. I get kidney stones and their is no pain like it - I feel very badly for you, but am happy you were able to recover in peace!!

I spent nearly a week in the hospital last year with stones! My kindneys almost failed as well as a result of urine backing up from the size of them. I had surgery, which helped those stones... but I have had a few smaller (passable) ones since. Definitely CLOSE!
sharlan 03:33 PM 07-11-2011
I don't believe in closing for much. Parents rely on you so that they can go to work. Too many absences due to daycare issues can cost them their jobs.

But when you are in so much pain that you can't properly care for them, you have to take the day off.
JaydensMommy 03:40 PM 07-11-2011
I would definitely close. I would hope parents would understand. I know I was sick with the stomach flu recently and my parents were nothing but understanding and told me to take as much time as I needed.
cheerfuldom 04:56 PM 07-11-2011
I would try and have a backup person if necessary. One time I was really feeling awful and my sister came over for a few hours till I could get up and around. I really don't close ever unless it is a dire emergency (like I am in labor) or if it is pre-planned BUT I do have two backup options (plus my DH) and not everyone has those options.
Tags:illness, provider - sick
Reply Up