Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Shows to Interviews?
DaisyMamma 04:42 AM 10-30-2011
I get about 50% not even show up to interviews. Is this normal? It's very frustrating. A simple phone call, email or even txt would be nice
Danielle 06:17 AM 10-30-2011
I get no shows every couple interviews. It's very frustrating but the way I look at it is, I'd rather see that side of them now than before I sign a contract with them. I contact them and ask what happened. If it was an emergency, I give them another chance. That has never has happened though. Other wise, they go on a "do not do business with" list.
Nellie 05:19 PM 10-30-2011
Once in a while I have had a no show interview. 1 in maybe 10. The few no shows I've had were ware I wasn't able to do the interview immediately when they called and the next time that worked for them was a week away. I almost think that they found daycare in the time being and didn't call to cancel.
1st impressions make a difference. I remember from when I had my daughter in daycare pulling up to the house and deliberately passing it because of the look of the house and yard from the outside. A few of them I drove back and forth over a dozen times before I decided to go in. This was in the day before every one had cell phones. If I had one I would have probable would have cancelled. I always make sure every thing is tidy. I have an open dinning room. That table is my work table. I straighten it up every evening and put things away. By 3 pm that table is cluttered. I have our activities, craft materials, ect on it. When I do the interview and am showing them around I mention to them that the table starts cleared off in the am and by pick up it is cluttered with the materials. Most just laugh. I want them to know what they are "getting."
busymommy0420 05:45 PM 10-30-2011
I have had several no shows and also don't like when people interview and then never call. They could call text or e-mail and say they found someone else. I guess they feel I have time to waste :0)

~B
renodeb 06:01 PM 10-30-2011
I have had more no shows in the past year then any other time in my 6 years doing this. Its very frustrating I know. One thing that I have learned is that there more likely to show if you can schedule an interview right away. Try not to rescheule on them if at all possible, make sure the front of your house/porch is swept. I dont call when they dont show, I just figure they flaked or if something happened they will call when things calm down. I have had some no shows that called back days later to apoligize and that they lost my address/phone#. Always ask if they need directions, maybe even google/mapquest your self to make sure directions are accurate and hang in there!
Debbie
Michael 01:58 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
I have had several no shows and also don't like when people interview and then never call. They could call text or e-mail and say they found someone else. I guess they feel I have time to waste :0)

~B
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
mismatchedsocks 05:17 AM 10-31-2011
I think I have had a few in all the years I have been doing daycare. I do however email the parents the handbook, then contact them to see if any questions, Then the day before I call to confirm, and tell them if they are not going to show to call and let me know, or shoot me a text so I know. I think I talk to the parents alot BEFORE meeting them so its not a waste of time for either of us in the long run. I dont set up the "hey can I come tomorrow at 530pm" interviews. For those I would say, well I will send you my contract, then you can let me know what concerns you have with it, then we can talk again and see if you agree with ALL My terms and then we can set up a time.
SilverSabre25 05:56 AM 10-31-2011
I have lots...the ones that show up are far outnumbered by the ones that don't.

I hear from others that this is fairly common around here though.
DaisyMamma 06:23 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
1st impressions make a difference. I remember from when I had my daughter in daycare pulling up to the house and deliberately passing it because of the look of the house and yard from the outside. A few of them I drove back and forth over a dozen times before I decided to go in.
This is interesting. Good point. I've never thought anyone would even do that. My yard and house outside is in good shape. I think, at most, I will organize the outside toys.

I get calls from a couple of towns over and I wonder if they mapquest the drive and decide it's too far. I think I will discuss the time it will take to get here in the initial phone call.

Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
~B
I SO agree, but it's just part of the process too.

Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
I think I have had a few in all the years I have been doing daycare. I do however email the parents the handbook, then contact them to see if any questions, Then the day before I call to confirm, and tell them if they are not going to show to call and let me know, or shoot me a text so I know. I think I talk to the parents alot BEFORE meeting them so its not a waste of time for either of us in the long run. I dont set up the "hey can I come tomorrow at 530pm" interviews. For those I would say, well I will send you my contract, then you can let me know what concerns you have with it, then we can talk again and see if you agree with ALL My terms and then we can set up a time.
This is excellent. I will adopt alot of these ideas.

Thank you guys! I appreciate the tips!
MarinaVanessa 07:55 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Yep, exactly how I do it. They call me to ask questions, if I have openings, available hours, rates etc and then I email them my parent packet (everything printed that I hand them when they want to sign up). It saves me ink and paper too because sheets that I'm required to give them I just email them and I only print a contract for them later when they sign up. I ask them to read the contract the handbook and everything else I give them and then call me to schedule a person-to-person interview.

When they call back I have a "phone interview" with them before I schedule them to come in. I have a form that I fill out with questions that and information about their schedule, jobs etc. If there aren't any obvious red flags then I schedule an after-hours interview. Before I hang up I make it CLEAR that if they can't make it they need to call me. I litterally say "Communication is a big thing with me. If you can't make it to the interview call me to reschedule. No call no shows are dealbreakers for me." I still get no call no shows and if they call back I remind them that I warned them and wish them luck on their search.

If the interview is days away I still call the day before to confirm.
Tags:interview - no show
Reply Up