Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have A Trampoline?
cheerfuldom 11:12 AM 07-20-2012
do you have a trampoline? is it enclosed? do you allow daycare kids on it? are trampolines regulated by your licensing dept?
momofsix 11:37 AM 07-20-2012
No trampolines allowed per licensing regs.
DCBlessings27 11:40 AM 07-20-2012
Trampolines were a source of frustration here until February. KS used to avoid the subject of trampolines. They'd never give a straight answer or the same one. Some answers used to be that the trampoline had to be fenced separately away from the kids' play area. Finally, we got rules for trampolines.

They must have an enclosure, and the steps must be removed during daycare hours. NO daycare children can have access to the trampoline.

My daughter LOVES gymnastics, and she might want a trampoline sometime in her life (she's 3 now), but I'm not a fan. There are too many risks, which is likely why I will take her to gymnastics but never get a trampoline for my house.
cheerfuldom 11:47 AM 07-20-2012
we actually just bought this one because my husband has wanted the kids to have one and this was our compromise....its small, low to the ground, enclosed and the daycare kids will not be using it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Tik...Combo/13283345
Kiki 11:49 AM 07-20-2012
We can have them here, but only one child can be on it at a time, and it either has to have a 3 foot clearance in all directions, or an enclosure. With my own children being home during the day, we don't have one. I'd hate to tell them they couldn't use something like that.
queenbee 11:54 AM 07-20-2012
We have this trampoline:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Airzone-My-Fi...YkQ~~60_35.JPG

We replace this trampoline every year because, during the summer especially, the padding around it gets very faded from the sun and the zipper gets stuck. It's $80 so it's not a big investment anyway.

Children 18 months and up are allowed on the trampoline. They are trained to unzip, zip and then jump before unzipping again and then zipping back up unless someone is waiting in line. It's a great way to exercise and because it's so small, I have had no injuries.

Parents sign a permission form during enrollment that allows their child to get on the trampoline, play on the swingset, participate in water play and a transportation form. I've never had a parent NOT want their child to participate. Trampolines are fun!

I'm not worried about injuries anyway. There's a risk of breaking an arm or leg or twisting an ankle, but the same could be said for riding a bike and even stepping off the curb.
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 07-20-2012
The APA strongly discourages trampoline use for kids. Here a couple statements from the APA website: http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...103/5/e57.full

"Trampolines are a high-risk activity with the potential for significant orthopaedic injury"

"We reiterate the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement advises that trampolines be used only in supervised training programs--never at home, in outdoor playgrounds, or in schools. The public should be made aware of the potential dangers of trampolines through public health campaigns, radio, and television."

Here is a great info page about trampolines and kids from the Consumer Products Safety Commission http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/085.pdf

http://www.chp.edu/CHP/Trampolines+for+Parents

Oh, can you tell......I am anti-trampoline (big or small ones)......YES they ARE super fun but so are a ton of other dangerous things...
sharlan 12:23 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The APA strongly discourages trampoline use for kids. Here a couple statements from the APA website: http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...103/5/e57.full

"Trampolines are a high-risk activity with the potential for significant orthopaedic injury"

"We reiterate the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement advises that trampolines be used only in supervised training programs--never at home, in outdoor playgrounds, or in schools. The public should be made aware of the potential dangers of trampolines through public health campaigns, radio, and television."

Here is a great info page about trampolines and kids from the Consumer Products Safety Commission http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/085.pdf

Oh, can you tell......I am anti-trampoline (big or small ones)......YES they ARE super fun but so are a ton of other dangerous things... :p
Me, too. My sil's cousin is a quad due to a trampoline accident. CA doesn't allow them on the premises of a daycare.
cheerfuldom 12:32 PM 07-20-2012

Oh, can you tell......I am anti-trampoline (big or small ones)......YES they ARE super fun but so are a ton of other dangerous things...
Interesting info....I have seen some similar info on trampolines which is why we will not be getting a full sized one, one without enclosures, one that is far off the ground or has several kids jumping at once. I feel comfortable with what we have purchased but am always curious for feedback. thanks
Texasjeepgirl 12:50 PM 07-20-2012

Ditto!!!!!
My daughters were not allowed to go to any friends house that had a trampoline... I am TERRIFIED of them.. I flew off .. on to the ground.. on to my head/back.. when I was 12 or so years old.. knocked the wind out of me.. I thought I was dead... OR paralyzed ... walked away from that incident with only bruises.. but... I really really HATE trampolines..what I hate the most is the fact that parents are so careless with their children.. totally fine to allow their kids to go out in to the yard unattended and jump to their hearts content... !!!! un BELIEVABLE....

Meeko 01:12 PM 07-20-2012
Utah doesn't allow them in licensed homes.
Country Kids 01:21 PM 07-20-2012
Not allowed to have trapolines, pools, wading pools.
mema 01:30 PM 07-20-2012
I have something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Step-Ahead.../dp/B0064GX4OI

We don't use it very often. Occasionally during the winter months I will bring it out of the basement. For as much as we use it and as much room as it takes, I really should just sell it.
countrymom 02:49 PM 07-20-2012
I have one and only my children are allowed on it. There is no encloser on it, heck there's no padding around it either. Accidents happen no matter what you do, there are more accidents that happen on swings then on trampolines. Sorry it makes me so mad that people blame everything on trampolines when they have no idea how safe they really are. Everyone hears all sorts of stories and just assume its the trampolines fault, well unless the trampoline gets up and moves, its usually the persons fault.
queenbee 03:18 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have one and only my children are allowed on it. There is no encloser on it, heck there's no padding around it either. Accidents happen no matter what you do, there are more accidents that happen on swings then on trampolines. Sorry it makes me so mad that people blame everything on trampolines when they have no idea how safe they really are. Everyone hears all sorts of stories and just assume its the trampolines fault, well unless the trampoline gets up and moves, its usually the persons fault.

There's risk in everything. Trampolines pose as much as a risk for injury as anything else
Kiki 06:08 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Utah doesn't allow them in licensed homes.
Did it change in May with the few other rules that changed? When I had my orientation in April they went through a huge list of no, no, and yes, yes with it. 3 foot use zone (like everything else), one kid at a time, no ladders or anything that was close enough for them to climb onto to get into it, enclosures all that hoo ha.
cheerfuldom 07:32 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I see what you are saying but I do think there are some reasonable safety measures that can make a difference. I mean accidents happen on swings all the time but wouldnt it be better to try a few safety measures like not letting kids jump off swings, not walking in front or behind too close, making sure the set is firmly in the ground, etc. Accidents can happen anywhere at anytime but there are also precautions that lessen the chance IMO and that is why we have compromised in letting our kids have the fun of a trampoline but also put some safety measures in place.

Ours has a little latch so that kids cant get in or out if an adult has latched it. I like that for keeping the daycare kids out when it is off limits during daycare hours. Dont want any rascals sneaking in there and getting hurt!!
Crazy8 07:41 PM 07-20-2012
we have one for my own kids, its off limits to daycare kids. My kids love it and we have many safety rules in place for them. I actually DON'T have swings because I feel kids get hurt on them more often than on a trampoline (no clue on real statistics, just my experience).
DaisyMamma 06:39 AM 07-21-2012
I didn't read replies.
I have a 14' enclosed one that DCKs are not allowed on. State doesn't care, but my daycare insurance or homeowners doesn't cover it.

My DH now doesn't want it because of a recent incident in our area.
daycarediva 04:18 PM 07-21-2012
Trampolines, pools and wading pools (heck even bird baths) are off limits here. It was a lot of jumping through hoops and installing special fencing to get my hot tub approved for licensing (well worth it though, imo)
Luvmy2kids 04:35 PM 07-31-2012
Definitely agree that trampolines are dangerous, but if you are going to buy one make sure you buy the enclosure as well. That is a must! Again never ever and I mean ever leave a kid by themself on a trampoline. My two kids love to bounce around in our trampoline that we bought them and I always am out there when they are jumping around. We bought our trampoline and enclosure from this place http://www.frugah.com/Trampolines-s/42.htm
finsup 03:50 AM 05-09-2016
I've thought about it but our home owners insurance doesn't allow them. I'm not sure if they'd drop us or we would just get a higher rate etc but it's not really worth it to me to find out heh. We do have a place called the sensory gym here that has a trampoline and my own kids LOVE it. They get to use it there, I don't need to worry about insurance inspections Plus, I'm on the water. Parents are already a bit nervous with that,I don't need to make them even more nervous with a trampoline even though they (the enclosed padded ones) don't really bother me personally.
Unregistered 06:54 AM 05-09-2016
Can someone please tell me how to post a new thread on here?
CalCare 06:58 AM 05-09-2016
There is a blue 'button' that says "new thread" at the top left, just below where it says 'private...'... Hope that helps!
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can someone please tell me how to post a new thread on here?
When in the forum area of your choice, look to the left of your screen for this button

Click that button and you can create a new thread
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 05-09-2016
When in the forum area of your choice, look to the left of your screen for this button

Also many "how to" tips are answered in the FAQ section of the forum. The FAQ section can be found on the left side of the blue menu bar
Unregistered 04:46 PM 05-09-2016

Oooohhh ok, thank you! I didn't know that I had to be in a section already.... Lol
renodeb 01:14 PM 05-10-2016
Where I live they will not insure the daycare if theirs a trampoline. I think there a danger anyways. My niece fell through the springs of one at diving and she is almost 10 years old.
Deb
Thriftylady 02:35 PM 05-10-2016
I am not a "trampoline hater", but I would never have one for daycare. To much liability. As a parent I wouldn't have an issue with my child on one with proper supervision. But there is a huge difference between my child and someone else's child. There are lots of things I would do with/or allow my child to do that I wouldn't do with a DCK. Also I think some things are up to each parent to decide on a case by case basis.
EmilyLily 03:43 AM 02-07-2019
I have a question about trampolines, but not those big ones you put in the yard, the smaller ones, but with the enclosure. I loved them all my life, I practically grew up on them and I wanted to ask you; do you think that those small ones are also dangerous? I am referring to the small ones like the ones in the post? I am sad to hear that you don't approve trampolines, I have 3 sisters and a brother (big family) and we didn't think they were dangerous. (again, only the small ones, preferably with enclosure)
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 02-07-2019
Originally Posted by EmilyLily:
I have a question about trampolines, but not those big ones you put in the yard, the smaller ones, but with the enclosure. I loved them all my life, I practically grew up on them and I wanted to ask you; do you think that those small ones are also dangerous? I am referring to the small ones like the ones in the post? I am sad to hear that you don't approve trampolines, I have 3 sisters and a brother (big family) and we didn't think they were dangerous. (again, only the small ones, preferably with enclosure)
Considering the website you are affiliated with, you should be more knowledgeable about this subject than anyone.

Many states do not approve of trampoline use for daycare children. The APA says trampolines are one of the biggest reasons for emergency room visits for kids under age 5.

You are welcome to post daycare related content on the forum but please do not post links to blogs or websites regarding trampolines.
Tags:2012, trampoline
Reply Up