Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>College Classes....Not ECED Related But Info I Use In My Program
MissAnn 08:14 AM 02-20-2012
In 2011 I took Environmental Science. This is one subject we use continually in my program.....composting, collecting rainwater, gardening, and recycling. This class added to the limited knowledge I already had. This was an online class....and the class I spent the MOST time on any class I took previously. After that class, I graduated with an AAS degree in Early Childhood.
MarinaVanessa 08:22 AM 02-20-2012
This one is difficult. Is this your first degree? I read that you can only claim classes that are somehow related to your business (like your class is) but only if you already have a degree or if you have no intention of using that class to get your degree. Maybe Tom Copeland can chime in here. He's the guru
MissAnn 08:24 AM 02-20-2012
This is my first degree. I am also hoping to take a sign language class for the purpose of teaching it to my kids.
MissAnn 08:26 AM 02-20-2012
This is my first degree. I am also hoping to take a sign language class for the purpose of teaching it to my kids. Both of these classes are beneficial to my kids. If I were wanting to claim statistics....I know that would not fly. I hope Tom will chime in! I also hope his answer will be YES!
MarinaVanessa 08:27 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
This is my first degree. I am also hoping to take a sign language class for the purpose of teaching it to my kids.
I'm pretty sure that if the environmental science class was used to obtain your first degree you won't be able to claim the time but if you now take a sign language class which you will use for daycare then time studying and practicing at home can be claimed. I wish I had Tom's record keeping book on hand, it explains it very nicely in there but I loaned it out. Hopefully he'll see this post and can help.
TomCopeland 05:23 PM 02-20-2012
If you are taking classes to obtain your first post-secondary degree, you can't deduct the cost of the classes. If you are taking classes but are not trying to get your first post-secondard degree, you can deduct the cost. If you already have a post-secondary degree, you can deduct the cost of classes that are related to your business.
Tags:classes, deduction - education
Reply Up