Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm A Little Concerned...
Oneluckymom 06:09 PM 05-10-2012
I have 3 two year olds and 2 babies. All but one of my families are all first time and very over protective parents.

One of the moms of a 2 year old I care for approached me at pick up and said that her child has picked something up this past week that "she's knows has not been picked up from her husband or her" and that her child has been telling her to "Go to your bed now!!"

I was taken back for a moment because I knew that I had been saying that to two of my (not hers) kids to be firm when they completely start getting out of control at nap by jumping on the cots, standing up and talking, etc.

I just didn't know what to say or if I should have told her. I sort of felt guilty.

Where is the line between being too nice and having NO control over the kids and being too firm on them?

Is telling them to "Get on their bed now!!" out of line?

Have any of your kids repeated what you have said in daycare at their home?
MizzCheryl 06:19 PM 05-10-2012
they pick up everything. Out of context it may sound bad.
Once I had a dad pick up and his lil girl said no daddy I don't want the belt. He almost died. He was just the sweetest DCD I have ever had. He looked at me I looked at him Neither one of us knew where she got it. Kids say the darndest things. But never for a second would I think he used a belt on her.
Do not let this set you a back . Tell her if you want why you say it.
You have done nothing wrong.
saved4always 06:20 PM 05-10-2012
Kids repeat everything...the parents will learn that quickly the first time they say something they shouldn't and it gets repeated at the worst possible time in front of the worst possible person.

I would have laughed and said something like "yep, I have 2 other children who think that nap time is a time to jump up and down on the cot, etc. so I have to constantly tell them to get back on thier bed. YOUR child is always an angel during nap so it is never directed at her but she hears me say it to the other 2 all the time."

I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you...it's not like you were swearing or being abusive. You just gave the kids direction.
cheerfuldom 06:23 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I have 3 two year olds and 2 babies. All but one of my families are all first time and very over protective parents.

One of the moms of a 2 year old I care for approached me at pick up and said that her child has picked something up this past week that "she's knows has not been picked up from her husband or her" and that her child has been telling her to "Go to your bed now!!"

I was taken back for a moment because I knew that I had been saying that to two of my (not hers) kids to be firm when they completely start getting out of control at nap by jumping on the cots, standing up and talking, etc.

I just didn't know what to say or if I should have told her. I sort of felt guilty.

Where is the line between being too nice and having NO control over the kids and being too firm on them?

Is telling them to "Get on their bed now!!" out of line?

Have any of your kids repeated what you have said in daycare at their home?
I don't think you have to apologize for anything. I would have said "Yes I have used that phrase before when some of the other kids have decided that nap time is optional. You are right, kids do pick up phrases very quickly, especially curious two year olds". You don't have to go into a huge explanation of what is happening at nap time because to a helicopter mom, she is going to get paranoid that you dont have control over the kids. Just keep your responses very short and sweet but unapologetic (since you are not doing anything wrong by saying this to the kids). I have had almost all first time parents of only children. Boy do they come up with some crazy things to worry about. You cannot stress yourself out worrying about every comment and teeny-tiny thing they come up with to complain about. Just keep things in perspective....they have a ton of time and resources to pour into one child and that makes them overbearing sometimes. The good news is that they usually chill out down the road, especially if they have another child. Do your job as best as you know how, keep all responses short and upbeat and if they still arent happy, they can go find another daycare and give notice to you. Dont feel that you have to run around trying to calm every fear and soothe every worry.
CheekyChick 05:12 AM 05-11-2012
I would have told him that you have two that are not very cooperative during nap time and you have to be a bit firm with them. I would also tell him that his little girl is wonderful during nap time.
JenNJ 05:41 AM 05-11-2012
Just be honest. It isn't mean to be firm. Its your job to keep them.safe. mom has to know that she can't control all her little one hears when her child is at daycare. Wait until he is older and starts talking about killing everything like my dcg kids do.
Oneluckymom 07:23 AM 05-11-2012
Thank you for your reassurance and support. I really feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I'm not doing anything wrong in being firm with these kids. Thanks again for your help !!!
Reply Up