Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated!
MsLaura529 05:44 PM 02-15-2013
I hope you guys don't mind me venting here ... but I just need to. I'm waiting for my license approval, and I got a response tonight - I apparently missed the part of the water heater inspection (my fault, and I'm kicking myself) AND since our radon tested over the 4.0 level, they cannot approve a license for me.until it is fixed - I wasn't just going to let it go, we were going to test again and then if it needed to be fixed we would do what needed to be done. The suggested retest is a long term one, which is at least 3 months (could be a year!), or to get it fixed would be $500-800, which is $ we won't have right now ... all of this on a day when my husband gets a "no" from.each of the 2 interviews he's been on (his department is being laid off end of april). I just feel like we can't catch a break.today ...
melilley 06:04 PM 02-15-2013
Awww so sorry to hear that! I would re-test to make sure that the test was accurate. If it was, could you maybe get it fixed and put it on a credit card, one with 0% interest for a period of time? Then you could pay it off over time. I think you can write off the expense too. Oh and for me, my water heater inspection was way cheaper than the furnace inspection. Sorry to hear about your husband too. Hopefully something will come along for him.
Unregistered 07:24 PM 02-15-2013
If you had a daycare heat inspection...shouldn't they have checked your water heater? I'm surprised they didn't do both. I just had my heat inspection for renewal, yesterday (as I live in MI too) and I paid $89 (not sure if it's a good price or not) for both furnace and water heater to be inspected, plus he did a CO reading also. I'm not sure on the radon but I know I have a radon filter for my basement that was installed before we moved into my house. I would test your radon levels again just to make sure. Hopefully it's wrong and you'll be able to reapply and get your license.
melilley 08:00 AM 02-16-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If you had a daycare heat inspection...shouldn't they have checked your water heater? I'm surprised they didn't do both. I just had my heat inspection for renewal, yesterday (as I live in MI too) and I paid $89 (not sure if it's a good price or not) for both furnace and water heater to be inspected, plus he did a CO reading also. I'm not sure on the radon but I know I have a radon filter for my basement that was installed before we moved into my house. I would test your radon levels again just to make sure. Hopefully it's wrong and you'll be able to reapply and get your license.
You have to ask them to check the water heater too. Some of the heating companies are not licensed to check hot water heaters. That is a great price! I paid $130 for both inspections!
MsLaura529 09:57 AM 02-16-2013
Yeah, it was my fault that I didn't mention the water heater part to the guy who inspected our furnace ... somehow I totally missed that on the print-out

I think we might just be better off getting the filter or whatever it is for the Radon to be fixed and then running the short-term test again, instead of waiting for the results of the 3 month-1 year. I was hoping it was something I could be working on fixing while still being able to start, but I guess not.

I guess I'm just scared about the possibility of us not having any income in a couple months if things aren't able to get up and running soon
Unregistered 12:52 PM 02-16-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
You have to ask them to check the water heater too. Some of the heating companies are not licensed to check hot water heaters. That is a great price! I paid $130 for both inspections!
Wow! I'll be honest I knew I needed both but when I called my local company I just said I needed a "daycare inspection" and they came out and did both. I never even asked if they did the water heater. Guess I know from now on
Tags:frustrated, issues, regulations, starting a daycare, starting out
Reply Up