Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Why are good home daycares so hard to find?
LuckyOnes 05:26 PM 08-15-2008
When a daycare says that they are a four star daycare, what exactly does this mean? I checked out a home daycare that she said was a four star daycare yet her home was filthy. She had none of the safety requirements met like a child could easily walk to her door, turn the knob, and walk out. The plug sockets weren't plugged with those plastic things. Her home had holes in the walls, dirty shoes (multiple pair) sitting by the door and a child sitting on a dirty carpet that wasn't swept or shampooed. The other ones I called had random people that weren't parents hanging out at their house. They weren't professional at all when answering the phone and they didn't want to answer any of my questions. All of them acted as though I was bothering them. None of the ones I checked out offered to take me around and show me the facility. I am so disappointed with my search and these are the only daycares that offer second shift. I found one good one out of 30 but she only does full-time and charges about the same as daycare centers (208.00 a week). We just can't afford that price. I am curious to know what experience you all have found when looking for in home daycares or enrolling your child in one.
Unregistered 12:04 PM 08-17-2008
Originally Posted by LuckyOnes:
When a daycare says that they are a four star daycare, what exactly does this mean? I checked out a home daycare that she said was a four star daycare yet her home was filthy. She had none of the safety requirements met like a child could easily walk to her door, turn the knob, and walk out. The plug sockets weren't plugged with those plastic things. Her home had holes in the walls, dirty shoes (multiple pair) sitting by the door and a child sitting on a dirty carpet that wasn't swept or shampooed. The other ones I called had random people that weren't parents hanging out at their house. They weren't professional at all when answering the phone and they didn't want to answer any of my questions. All of them acted as though I was bothering them. None of the ones I checked out offered to take me around and show me the facility. I am so disappointed with my search and these are the only daycares that offer second shift. I found one good one out of 30 but she only does full-time and charges about the same as daycare centers (208.00 a week). We just can't afford that price. I am curious to know what experience you all have found when looking for in home daycares or enrolling your child in one.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. And this is one of the reasons I got back into daycare. There are alot of daycare providers out there that just don't know what they are doing! I suggest that you do lots of homework on the provider you chose..ie..background check, references, talk to the present parents etc... I encourage all my new clients to do this and my past should speak for itself. and if they will not provide you with the things you ask turn around and run!!!
DCMom 01:16 PM 08-27-2008
Because in a really good home daycare, openings are either filled by the families that are already there or by word of mouth. That is how we found ours~talk to friends with kids in daycare.

I was frustrated the same way and was venting one day at work (while still pregnant with our first) and one of my co-workers mentioned that she thought her 'awesome daycare lady' would have an opening about the time we needed care. As soon as I met her, I knew she was the one. My oldest is now 6 and my youngest is 3 and I rave about her to everyone.

She never has openings because all she has to do is mention the possibilty to one of us and we take care of it! LOL~
pingaa3 05:24 PM 08-27-2008
Yep, we advertised for the first six months and have now had referrals from just about everyone. Plus we give out the numbers of the other two providers close by if we're called. They usually come back to us! We've even been asked to head up our local after school program!
Reply Up