Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bah, humbug!
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:23 AM 10-20-2014
I have a new DCF. DCG is a spoiled rotten little thing (but manageable at DC), and both DCM and DCD are way over-dramatic, showy, and seem to have a sense of entitlement or that they are some kind of unique/special or something. They are odd. Not my kind of people, but that's okay, because this is business and they are not my friends.

That said, I kind of suspected there might be a little trouble with them following all my policies:

It started last week on their 4th day with me when DCM was 11 minutes late to pick-up. She called to say she would be late (at 3 min after closing-you are already late, woman), and apologized when she got here. I thanked her for the apology and said it shows she understands what a terrible position it puts me in (taking family time away, making me late for an obligation) and that I would e-mail an invoice for the late pick-up fee-$1 per minute. She looked shocked and said it was the first time they have ever been late to pick-up from daycare. Don't care. I didn't know you before and it doesn't change the fact that you are late TODAY. I have learned (finally) that this is one area if you make an exception, EVER, it WILL be taken advantage of, again and again and again. In my contract it says in italics "No exceptions made." So I e-mailed the amount to be due today at drop-off.

And so, this morning she hands me a wad of cash, and it is short by $3. Why? Why, when she must know I am less than enamored with her for being late in the first place would she short the payment?? Why? Anyway, I also have in my contract that full payment is due at drop-off on first day of attendance and that if any part of it is not made at that time there is an additional $10 fee for every instance it is not made (+10 at pick-up 1st day, +20 at drop-off 2nd day, +30 at pick-up 2nd day, etc.). Again in italics afterward it says "No exceptions made."

Do I e-mail her that it was short by $3 and now she owes another $10 because of it, so bring me $13 at pick-up today, or $23 tomorrow morning, etc. Or do I tell them to just bring me the $3 tonight, with a warning that from here on out I WILL charge the steep late payment fee? I don't want to commit business suicide by being too much of a hard-not-the-nice-word-for-bottom. But I don't know if I run the risk of "confusing" these new clients by making an exception. What do you think?
NightOwl 08:34 AM 10-20-2014
She needs to bring you the $3 and get that warning that $10 will be added daily when payments are not made in full. If they pull, they pull. You probably don't want them if they make a fuss over paying what they owe, even if it's a small amount.
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 10-20-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have a new DCF. DCG is a spoiled rotten little thing (but manageable at DC), and both DCM and DCD are way over-dramatic, showy, and seem to have a sense of entitlement or that they are some kind of unique/special or something. They are odd. Not my kind of people, but that's okay, because this is business and they are not my friends.

That said, I kind of suspected there might be a little trouble with them following all my policies:

It started last week on their 4th day with me when DCM was 11 minutes late to pick-up. She called to say she would be late (at 3 min after closing-you are already late, woman), and apologized when she got here. I thanked her for the apology and said it shows she understands what a terrible position it puts me in (taking family time away, making me late for an obligation) and that I would e-mail an invoice for the late pick-up fee-$1 per minute. She looked shocked and said it was the first time they have ever been late to pick-up from daycare. Don't care. I didn't know you before and it doesn't change the fact that you are late TODAY. I have learned (finally) that this is one area if you make an exception, EVER, it WILL be taken advantage of, again and again and again. In my contract it says in italics "No exceptions made." So I e-mailed the amount to be due today at drop-off.

And so, this morning she hands me a wad of cash, and it is short by $3. Why? Why, when she must know I am less than enamored with her for being late in the first place would she short the payment?? Why? Anyway, I also have in my contract that full payment is due at drop-off on first day of attendance and that if any part of it is not made at that time there is an additional $10 fee for every instance it is not made (+10 at pick-up 1st day, +20 at drop-off 2nd day, +30 at pick-up 2nd day, etc.). Again in italics afterward it says "No exceptions made."

Do I e-mail her that it was short by $3 and now she owes another $10 because of it, so bring me $13 at pick-up today, or $23 tomorrow morning, etc. Or do I tell them to just bring me the $3 tonight, with a warning that from here on out I WILL charge the steep late payment fee? I don't want to commit business suicide by being too much of a hard-not-the-nice-word-for-bottom. But I don't know if I run the risk of "confusing" these new clients by making an exception. What do you think?
Personally I RARELY (if ever) make exceptions.

To me when you make an exception the rule now becomes a suggestion.

If I were to make an exception to one of my policies, it would be BECAUSE of a family's long standing reputation in my care. I would make an exception for a family AFTER I've worked with them long enough to know if something was overlooked, couldn't be helped or was simply beyond their control.

But never for a family I don't know yet.

If I were in your shoes, I would copy your handbook page and highlight the payment and late pick up portions and write up an e-mail explaining to the family your policies again AND your thoughts on exceptions.

IME, setting the stage NOW helps stop this type of thing from being repeated.
Sugar Magnolia 10:01 AM 10-20-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

I totally get that you're upset that the parent was late, balked at the fee, then shorted the payment. I agree with BC, you should not make any exceptions for new clients.

Just curious, but why start a post about a PARENT problem.with the line "dcg is a spoiled rotten little thing"? It's not the child's fault. I'm sure the child is difficult, but can't we leave those negative words out when talking about a child?
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:47 AM 10-20-2014
Sugar, I started my post with a little background information on the new family and give the reader a feel for how this particular family might react to the scenario. If you don't like my descriptions I would not mind at all if you skip over my posts and/or refrain from comment.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:53 AM 10-20-2014
Thank you, Blackcat. I will print off my stuff and highlight the 2 sections. I think then they will read through the whole thing now, with a paper copy made available.
Sugar Magnolia 11:01 AM 10-20-2014
Sorry, didn't mean to offend.....nevermind
sahm1225 12:12 PM 10-20-2014
@ kidz - sugar wasn't critiquing you. She just made the point that the description of the child was not neccesary or could've been said differently (maybe saying the dcm&dcd spoil their dcg vs spoiled rotten dcg).

I agree with blackcat. I would print out the form, highlight it and charge the $10. I had a family short me a payment once. I explained how that wasn't acceptable and the next payment must be the FULL amount. Dcm said she understood and apologized profusely. Well wouldn't you know the next payment was short again. I was so upset that I called the mom to come pick up dcg and terminated.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, late fee policy
Reply Up