Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking a personal day... feeling guilty.
KDC 09:05 AM 10-22-2014
I've decided to take Halloween off. I have three children (Kindi, 2nd & 4th grade) I've missed every holiday party, the parade, and always have that 1 parent that doesn't pick up their kid until after closing as they needed to grab candy from the store, or get their other kid to a party before picking up their DCK. I've made a permanent change to my contract (close early on Halloween) for next year and this year I'm just taking off!! It's a Friday, our neighbors do a 'chili dump' we all make chili and dump it into one giant pot and take the kids trick-or-treating and sit by a fire and relax. My dd has a cheer competition the next day and I don't need all the stress. Plus now only 3 parents can volunteer per party at the school and it's chosen out of a hat and I'm the Mom that got picked! I just couldn't pass it up this year.

I told the parents I need a personal day, they do NOT need to pay me for this personal day, but they do need to find alternate care. I haven't taken a personal day in 10 years. I feel guilty, but so excited to be free this day to be there for MY kids =) 2 parents just started end of September, only one comes on Fridays. At this point, I just need a break!
CraftyMom 09:37 AM 10-22-2014
Don't feel guilty! You will not get this time back with your kids!

That chili dump and fire sounds like fun! I might steal that!
Play Care 09:41 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
I've decided to take Halloween off. I have three children (Kindi, 2nd & 4th grade) I've missed every holiday party, the parade, and always have that 1 parent that doesn't pick up their kid until after closing as they needed to grab candy from the store, or get their other kid to a party before picking up their DCK. I've made a permanent change to my contract (close early on Halloween) for next year and this year I'm just taking off!! It's a Friday, our neighbors do a 'chili dump' we all make chili and dump it into one giant pot and take the kids trick-or-treating and sit by a fire and relax. My dd has a cheer competition the next day and I don't need all the stress. Plus now only 3 parents can volunteer per party at the school and it's chosen out of a hat and I'm the Mom that got picked! I just couldn't pass it up this year.

I told the parents I need a personal day, they do NOT need to pay me for this personal day, but they do need to find alternate care. I haven't taken a personal day in 10 years. I feel guilty, but so excited to be free this day to be there for MY kids =) 2 parents just started end of September, only one comes on Fridays. At this point, I just need a break!
I wouldn't feel guilty at all! I'm closing early on Halloween and I don't feel bad. They've had plenty of notice. Your plans sound awesome!
MBF 09:46 AM 10-22-2014
Sounds like a good ide and a great day! You and your children will remember the super fun day!
hope 09:48 AM 10-22-2014
Your plans sound like fun!!! Don't feel guilty. Enjoy it! I take off Halloween every year paid. It's a great opportunity for the parents to take they day off of work themselves and spend the time with their children. And they can blame it in us!!!
Annalee 09:58 AM 10-22-2014
When you take a personal day, paid or not, do so with a non-negotiable attitude....this way parents may not like it, but they won't argue about it....to your face anyway! I don't care what they say behind my back as long as I get paid..
daycarediva 10:09 AM 10-22-2014
I wouldn't feel guilty in the least! ENJOY your day! I would get a pedi or massage after being room mom for the day, too!

I ALWAYS close early on Halloween. Next year, I'm taking it OFF.
midaycare 10:12 AM 10-22-2014
It sounds like a wonderful day! If you had an office job you would get sick days, personal days, vacation days, etc... Have fun!!!
melilley 10:18 AM 10-22-2014
Don't feel guilty at all!

I used to go to all of my dd's parties and last year was the first year that I couldn't go to any of them and it broke my heart. She's almost 12 now and they don't do parties in 6th grade that involve parents so I don't have to feel guilty this year, but my ds is 2 and I know if I still have my home dc, I'm going to feel so bad that I won't be able to go. I enjoy doing those things.

Have a great time with your kids and neighbors.
A few of my neighbors are the same way, I love it. I never want to move, or if I do, they have to come with us...lol
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 10-22-2014
I find dark chocolate, specifically those Lindt truffle's to be THE best cure for guilt.
taylorw1210 10:35 AM 10-22-2014
Don't feel guilty at all! I am more than positive all of your parents take personal days too.
e.j. 11:48 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
I haven't taken a personal day in 10 years. I feel guilty, but so excited to be free this day to be there for MY kids =) 2 parents just started end of September, only one comes on Fridays. At this point, I just need a break!
I firmly believe in the importance of being reliable for my day care parents and rarely take time off but even I can't claim to have never taken a personal day in 10 years. Wow! You have nothing to feel guilty about! Enjoy the day with your kids. You deserve the break!
Tags:day off, feeling guilty, guilt, guilt trips, halloween, personal day
Reply Up