Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It Happened in TWO Seconds!
AuntTami 04:57 PM 10-16-2014
Isn't that what everyone always says when a kid gets hurt? "I took my eyes off of her for TWO seconds!" Yep..happened to me today. My heart is aching and I just want to lay down and cry because I feel SO bad about it!

So, it's lunch time, and DCG(2.5) is sitting in her chair eating her lunch(this is day number 4 of her eating her lunch really well and *would* have been day number 4 of no puking after eating!). I'm eating my lunch and I look up to see/hear "I'm puking" as she pukes everywhere. Came out of nowhere, she wasn't even crying! So I get her down from her booster, and since she was the only DCK here and I didn't want vomit all over my house, I tell her "strip and I'll get a rag so we can wash you up"... She takes off her clothes while I go get a wash rag, and I come back and set the rag on the table to clean the puke up off the floor with a different rag. She toodles over to the doorway and is standing near a baby gate that is blocking the doorway. Didn't think anything of it, doesn't EVERYONE use baby gates?

I stand up from the floor, turn around to grab the rag, and by the time I turned back around, she's standing at the baby gate with a busted open lip and blood running down her chest! WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED!? SHE DIDNT EVEN CRY UNTIL SHE SAW THE BLOOD!

I take a good look, and the ONLY thing I can think of is she must have fallen face first into the baby gate and caught her lip on one of the metal pieces that holds the gate together(It's an older wooden one).....So since I have a clean rag in my hand, I quick press that against her mouth and have my BF hold it there while I call her dad...Dad doesn't answer. I call again. No answer. So, I call Grandma. Grandma answers and says "take her to the walkin and I'll be there soon" So...Off to the walk in clinic we go...

Get to the clinic and they tell me that because it's her lip, they can't do anything and we need to go to the ACTUAL ER. UGH! So we head over to the ER, where we sit and sit and sit....I sat with her in the ER today for THREE HOURS! NO ONE could get ahold of dad and the hospital REFUSED to treat her without his signature. I have medical release forms signed authorizing me to seek treatment for her, and I have one signed authorizing grandma to make medical decisions for her, and NEITHER of these forms were acceptable for them....Which, I get they have to cover stuff on their end, but good gravy, what if she had been bleeding to death! Thank heavens it stopped bleeding minutes after it happened! But have you ever tried to keep a 2 year old contained in a waiting room with minimal toys, with a busted open lip for HOURS!? It's NOT pleasant!

So, we're sitting there and sitting there.... Finally at 2:20, they take us back to a room(we've been sitting in the waiting room since 12:30) Grandma FINALLY shows up at 2:40, and I'm LIVID by this point! WHY DIDNT ANYONE COME SOONER!? Even with grandma's consent, because they needed to sedate her to put a stitch in since she's SUCH an active little girl and wouldn't sit still for anything, they wouldn't touch her until dad got there....At 3:30 I complained to the nurse that "it's already been THREE hours, why are we still waiting!? Grandma is here now!" The nurse goes out and tells the doctor that I'm concerned about the length of time it has been and she comes back in and very rudely states "We have 24 hours to stitch it up before we have to worry about scarring" I just said "okay fine" and shut up because I was about to blow my top. This VERY active, VERY HURT, little girl has been held down for the last THREE hours, she doesn't want to be held, I don't want to hold her, and we're both getting stir crazy...Dad finally showed up at 4:00 and I left since I had another DCB dropped off at home with my BF at 1:30(His mom was aware that BF would be with him until I got home, she was fine with it)......He just came and picked up her stuff about a half hour ago, and said she ended up with 6 stitches and that she'll be here tomorrow, but that her grandma is going to keep her "next week since shes a nurse. at least until the stitches come out"

I know this *is* my fault and I feel TERRIBLE, but at the same time, this kiddo is VERY accident prone! She fell off the porch at her home last week and scraped up her nose and forehead too! If it isn't one thing, it's another. I was IN the room with her, less than 2 feet away, and I had my back turned for 5 seconds to GRAB A RAG! UUGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for listening to my vent!
k.mcmahan2010 05:09 PM 10-16-2014
I would at a center and had this happen. I was sitting on the floor with 3-4 kids (1 yr old) and before could catch her, one of them tripped over their own feet and put their tooth through their bottom lip.
NeedaVaca 05:20 PM 10-16-2014
As bad as it was to have the accident (and accidents do happen) what's unacceptable is that dad was unavailable for THAT long! I would be very upset about that!
Cradle2crayons 05:28 PM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Isn't that what everyone always says when a kid gets hurt? "I took my eyes off of her for TWO seconds!" Yep..happened to me today. My heart is aching and I just want to lay down and cry because I feel SO bad about it!

So, it's lunch time, and DCG(2.5) is sitting in her chair eating her lunch(this is day number 4 of her eating her lunch really well and *would* have been day number 4 of no puking after eating!). I'm eating my lunch and I look up to see/hear "I'm puking" as she pukes everywhere. Came out of nowhere, she wasn't even crying! So I get her down from her booster, and since she was the only DCK here and I didn't want vomit all over my house, I tell her "strip and I'll get a rag so we can wash you up"... She takes off her clothes while I go get a wash rag, and I come back and set the rag on the table to clean the puke up off the floor with a different rag. She toodles over to the doorway and is standing near a baby gate that is blocking the doorway. Didn't think anything of it, doesn't EVERYONE use baby gates?

I stand up from the floor, turn around to grab the rag, and by the time I turned back around, she's standing at the baby gate with a busted open lip and blood running down her chest! WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED!? SHE DIDNT EVEN CRY UNTIL SHE SAW THE BLOOD!

I take a good look, and the ONLY thing I can think of is she must have fallen face first into the baby gate and caught her lip on one of the metal pieces that holds the gate together(It's an older wooden one).....So since I have a clean rag in my hand, I quick press that against her mouth and have my BF hold it there while I call her dad...Dad doesn't answer. I call again. No answer. So, I call Grandma. Grandma answers and says "take her to the walkin and I'll be there soon" So...Off to the walk in clinic we go...

Get to the clinic and they tell me that because it's her lip, they can't do anything and we need to go to the ACTUAL ER. UGH! So we head over to the ER, where we sit and sit and sit....I sat with her in the ER today for THREE HOURS! NO ONE could get ahold of dad and the hospital REFUSED to treat her without his signature. I have medical release forms signed authorizing me to seek treatment for her, and I have one signed authorizing grandma to make medical decisions for her, and NEITHER of these forms were acceptable for them....Which, I get they have to cover stuff on their end, but good gravy, what if she had been bleeding to death! Thank heavens it stopped bleeding minutes after it happened! But have you ever tried to keep a 2 year old contained in a waiting room with minimal toys, with a busted open lip for HOURS!? It's NOT pleasant!

So, we're sitting there and sitting there.... Finally at 2:20, they take us back to a room(we've been sitting in the waiting room since 12:30) Grandma FINALLY shows up at 2:40, and I'm LIVID by this point! WHY DIDNT ANYONE COME SOONER!? Even with grandma's consent, because they needed to sedate her to put a stitch in since she's SUCH an active little girl and wouldn't sit still for anything, they wouldn't touch her until dad got there....At 3:30 I complained to the nurse that "it's already been THREE hours, why are we still waiting!? Grandma is here now!" The nurse goes out and tells the doctor that I'm concerned about the length of time it has been and she comes back in and very rudely states "We have 24 hours to stitch it up before we have to worry about scarring" I just said "okay fine" and shut up because I was about to blow my top. This VERY active, VERY HURT, little girl has been held down for the last THREE hours, she doesn't want to be held, I don't want to hold her, and we're both getting stir crazy...Dad finally showed up at 4:00 and I left since I had another DCB dropped off at home with my BF at 1:30(His mom was aware that BF would be with him until I got home, she was fine with it)......He just came and picked up her stuff about a half hour ago, and said she ended up with 6 stitches and that she'll be here tomorrow, but that her grandma is going to keep her "next week since shes a nurse. at least until the stitches come out"

I know this *is* my fault and I feel TERRIBLE, but at the same time, this kiddo is VERY accident prone! She fell off the porch at her home last week and scraped up her nose and forehead too! If it isn't one thing, it's another. I was IN the room with her, less than 2 feet away, and I had my back turned for 5 seconds to GRAB A RAG! UUGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for listening to my vent!
FIRST, call the hospital ER and ask them what forms WOULD have been acceptable. For future reference had it been life or death they would have treated her without dad. For my kiddos, I have NOTORIZED very detailed forms for medical treatment.

SECOND, I would have BLOWN MY LID if a parent took that long. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't have taken her from my house since it wasn't life threatening and didn't really need IMMEDIATE treatment. I'd have told Grandma that my policies state that when they are called for pickup, they have X minutes to arrive. After that, I call the authorities. Also, there's a charge for taking more than X minutes to arrive. I would make it CRYSTAL CLEAR how I would be handling this in the future.

THIRD, I'm very sorry and I know that you probably freaked out. It's normal to feel that way though.
Shell 05:33 PM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
FIRST, call the hospital ER and ask them what forms WOULD have been acceptable. For future reference had it been life or death they would have treated her without dad. For my kiddos, I have NOTORIZED very detailed forms for medical treatment.

SECOND, I would have BLOWN MY LID if a parent took that long. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't have taken her from my house since it wasn't life threatening and didn't really need IMMEDIATE treatment. I'd have told Grandma that my policies state that when they are called for pickup, they have X minutes to arrive. After that, I call the authorities. Also, there's a charge for taking more than X minutes to arrive. I would make it CRYSTAL CLEAR how I would be handling this in the future.

THIRD, I'm very sorry and I know that you probably freaked out. It's normal to feel that way though.
Yes!
CraftyMom 05:38 PM 10-16-2014

Now you got me wondering... I may just call the hospital here just in case I ever go through something like this.

I would be so furious at dad AND grandma for not coming sooner! I would not have been able to take the child to the hospital without calling MY OWN emergency backup to come stay with the kids. If my own person can come, the child's family better be here sooner than that!
Leigh 05:38 PM 10-16-2014

Our local health systems do have forms that I have filled out and CLAIM that they will honor them if their OWN forms are used for authorization. I pray that I never have to find out if that's true.
AuntTami 06:15 PM 10-16-2014

That's an excellent idea and I will be calling tomorrow for sure! But I don't know if *any* form would have been accepted. Their reasoning for not accepting my papers or accepting grandmas signature was because she needed to be sedated to get the stitches in so I guess it was more complicated than my papers allowed for? Idk. My paperwork authorizes medical treatment, hospitalization and surgery so I'm not sure what else they would have needed!

I did almost blow my lid. I was *very* close to it. The ONLY reason I took her in was because she was the ONLY one here at that time so I didn't *think* it would be a big deal. I thought I'd take her in, and grandma would show up soon after to take over and I could go back home to take care of my DCB that showed up st 1:30. Haha. That was a joke. Thank god my boyfriend had a personal day to use at HIS job so he could stay home and wait for DCB while I was stuck in the hospital! I never would have taken her if I knew I would have been there for 4 hours waiting for dad!
It wasn't a life threatening injury no, but it was a pretty big chunk taken from her lip and I knew as soon as I saw it that it needed stitches. I didn't think it would need 6 though, I thought one or two!
I will be revamping my policies to include NO NON LIFE THREATENING TRANSPORTATION. I will not be doing this again. SOMEONE better come pick the kid up and take them if they need it.

Grandma is going to keep her next week and dad isn't sure if she'll be coming back. Idk what to do at this point. Accidents happen, I know it happened on my watch, but it COULD have happened anywhere. I've had so many problems with this DCG and DCD and she hasn't even been here two weeks! IDK what to do at this point. I guess we'll see if she comes back.
CraftyMom 07:03 PM 10-16-2014
So why is she coming tomorrow but not next week?
AuntTami 07:12 PM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
So why is she coming tomorrow but not next week?
She was going to come tomorrow originally but dad said grandma is keeping her tomorrow too so she won't be here tomorrow either but originally she was going to come tomorrow but not next week and I'm not sure why. Dad said "because grandma is a nurse" something about the stitches.
nannyde 07:34 PM 10-16-2014
Be prepared for them to pull her. They now have a week to find care. Don't offer to pay for anything. Wait.

I would not be able to offer services to a family that was unable to provide immediate medical care. The Dad would have to come immediately. He didn't so they would be termed.
Thriftylady 07:37 PM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Be prepared for them to pull her. They now have a week to find care. Don't offer to pay for anything. Wait.

I would not be able to offer services to a family that was unable to provide immediate medical care. The Dad would have to come immediately. He didn't so they would be termed.
Then shouldn't grandma had known there would be an issue and how to handle it?
AuntTami 07:42 PM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I figured that was going to be the outcome. I can't say it truly breaks my heart, but she is a sweet kid, as long as its not meal time. And I didn't want THIS to be the way things ended, obviously. But you're totally right in that they should have came IMMEDIATELY and didn't, which is just another strike in the list that grows longer by the day, which is why I say I won't be totally heart broken about them pulling her.
I HAVNT offered to pay for anything. I had him sign a liability waiver, and she's completely covered under state insurance so what would they want/need? They didn't pay a deposit.
AuntTami 07:44 PM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Then shouldn't grandma had known there would be an issue and how to handle it?
I guess I should hav specified.... There are 2 grandmas. One is a nurse who I met for the first time today, the other is the grandma she lives with who isn't a nurse but is the authorized emergency contact. Sorry. It's a HUGE mess.
snbauser 07:50 PM 10-16-2014
I'm sure you are emotionally drained and accidents happen. I would be livid that no parent felt it was urgent enough to come right away and take care of the poor child.

Also, not sure where you are located and if you are licensed or not, but if you are under state regulations, make sure you fill out an incident report and contact your licenser.
nanglgrl 09:24 PM 10-16-2014
Unfortunately a liability waiver isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
I had a state pay child bump his head on my wall and need stitches, he also had state medical insurance. It was though no fault of my own. The child's mom was late for pick up so I had him in his coat and shoes and told him to sit down to watch cartoons (the only time we watch tv is during pick up). He kept getting up and I kept telling him to sit back down. It was only probably less than 5 minutes but the 4 year old had severe ADHD and it was apparently a life sentence to him. Anyway he went to sit down and the only way I can explain it is that he did crisscross appleasauce in mid air and plopped down on his butt and on the way down hit his head on my wall. It wasnt hard and I didn't even notice anything odd until I glanced his direction and saw something drip on his shouder and discovered it was blood. His mom walked in a second later and he was off to get 6 sitches in his scalp. Apparently he had hit my wall hard enough to cut his head. My wall is 100% a normal, flat wall and there were no other objects in the area that he could fall/hit his head on.
Anyway, a few weekes later I got a form from the state asking all sorts of questions about the accident for their insurance, I guess they were trying to determine if I shoud be hheld liable. They ended up paying and I never heard back but I think it could have turned out differently if there was something I could have changed about the situation to prevent the injury.
Mom pulled soon after. I doubt she thought I had anything to do with the injury since the child was old enough to talk and had an older sibling right there as witness but who knows. I didn't worry about it because I was reducing my hours and wanted to term the family anyway.
hope 10:53 PM 10-16-2014
Aunt Tami, did this guy ever pay you for the week? I remember you want to go over policy with him in another thread.
AuntTami 02:14 AM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Aunt Tami, did this guy ever pay you for the week? I remember you want to go over policy with him in another thread.
He is *supposed* to pay tomorrow. He told me again tonight that he would be by tomorrow to drop it off, but we'll see... Lesson learned right? If he doesn't, she won't be accepted back unless he pays up front and if he doesn't bring her back, guess I'm eating the cost. me!

As far as the insurance goes...well that's just AWESOME! I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I suppose I could have gotten a different baby gate, but how the heck was I supposed to know this would happen!? And even if I had been facing her, I wouldn't have been able to grab her in time to prevent her from hitting her face.
Lets add one more thing to Tami's pile of poop that's gone wrong. Oh gosh, sorry. I've had a VERY stressful day. This trip to the ER was the first of two, I just got home(its 4am--I woke up YESTERDAY at 6am) from an ER visit with my sister, so I'm BEYOND frazzled right now. But, since DCG isn't coming tomorrow(today I guess) and DCB won't be here since its not his day, I have an unexpected day off, so I can SLEEEPPPP and boy will I ever!
Josiegirl 10:19 AM 10-17-2014
Do you have daycare insurance? Wouldn't that cover something like what happened?
I'm afraid to say it but this dcf sounds like a handful of difficult to begin with; who knows what this will bring out in them???
PLEASE do NOT hold onto any guilt, it was a complete accident. They happen to children. A LOT. Most of the time we can be thankful and know there'll be no bruises but once in awhile something like this happens and it's scary. Like you always hear, ya can't keep 'em in a bubble!
As for the dcd not replying to you?? That is inexcusable! OMG did he ever tell you why?
Two is an accident prone age. I have a 2 1/2 yo dcg who came in the other a.m. with 2 black and blues on her cheek. When dcm asked her about it dcg told her a cow bit her. Lol Then when dcd asked her she said mommy hit me. Well, of course she didn't. They asked me, I was clueless, I mean stuff like that happens all the time. Even to my own self! So yesterday at breakfast I was reading them a book, dcg has her head propped up on her arm, it slips right off into the corner of the table. So I told dcm about it. She had a good laugh. (maybe ya had to be there) But it was pretty funny.
My point being(other than trying to inject a little humor here) is that kids get hurt all the time and bounce right back up. I hope dcps don't make a huge issue out of it because it could just as easily happen on their watch.
hope 10:37 AM 10-17-2014
He is *supposed* to pay tomorrow. He told me again tonight that he would be by tomorrow to drop it off, but we'll see... Lesson learned right? If he doesn't, she won't be accepted back unless he pays up front and if he doesn't bring her back, guess I'm eating the cost. me!

As far as the insurance goes...well that's just AWESOME! I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I suppose I could have gotten a different baby gate, but how the heck was I supposed to know this would happen!? And even if I had been facing her, I wouldn't have been able to grab her in time to prevent her from hitting her face.
Lets add one more thing to Tami's pile of poop that's gone wrong. Oh gosh, sorry. I've had a VERY stressful day. This trip to the ER was the first of two, I just got home(its 4am--I woke up YESTERDAY at 6am) from an ER visit with my sister, so I'm BEYOND frazzled right now. But, since DCG isn't coming tomorrow(today I guess) and DCB won't be here since its not his day, I have an unexpected day off, so I can SLEEEPPPP and boy will I ever!
You should call, text and email the dad that payment is due today. If you don't get any response send it to him in the mail. Make sure to add that there will be late fees if you do not receive today. If you do take this dcg back please get payment upfront. You just went through this whole ordeal and I'm afraid you did it all for free. Also tell him you need to sit down and go over every line in the handbook with him.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:06 AM 10-17-2014
You should call, text and email the dad that payment is due today. If you don't get any response send it to him in the mail. Make sure to add that there will be late fees if you do not receive today. If you do take this dcg back please get payment upfront. You just went through this whole ordeal and I'm afraid you did it all for free. Also tell him you need to sit down and go over every line in the handbook with him.
Please do this. What a freaking headache. They would be doing you a FAVOR if they never came back again.
melilley 11:16 AM 10-17-2014
Awwww .
Accidents happen! I had a dcb run and fall into my tv stand and cut his head open. Blood was gushing everywhere. I called mom and she took him in and he had to get stitches. I felt horrible, but even mom said that I'm human, accidents happen.

I would be furious with dcd! I think I would be mad enough to term!
ColorfulSunburst 11:33 AM 10-17-2014
The youngest one (20m.o) tripped over his own feet, fell down and hit his forehead on the edge of the table(((
Now he has "a horn" on his forehead
AuntTami 03:26 PM 10-17-2014
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement ladies. I really appreciate it. I have a migraine today from all the stress and tension from yesterday. Accidents DO happen and they are children, which I keep telling myself to try and ease the guilt.

Dad did just stop over and paid me so I'm all paid up, so that's good. Still unsure if she will be returning.

As far as his reasoning, it's because no one could get ahold of him. I called all day, grandma called all day, heck the HOSPITAL tried calling him, and he couldn't be reached, so he didn't even KNOW his child was in the ER until he got done with work at 3:45, which in my opinion is unacceptable. It made me fuming mad that it took SO long for someone to get there, and it made me even more mad that dad didn't come until after work because no one could get ahold of him. Grandpa works at the same place that DCD works and even grandpa couldn't get ahold of DCD, so I don't know. That's unacceptable. If you have children, you should be reachable at all times. Even if DCD couldn't come get her himself, someone should have at least been able to reach him on a phone, even just to give the hospital consent to treat her so we didn't have to sit there for FOUR HOURS!

Since I'm still very new to daycare, I know a lot of my policies need to be tweaked and reworked, but man, I wasn't expecting ONE kid to point out every hole in my handbook! But, now I know and now I can fix the holes.
Cradle2crayons 03:46 PM 10-17-2014
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement ladies. I really appreciate it. I have a migraine today from all the stress and tension from yesterday. Accidents DO happen and they are children, which I keep telling myself to try and ease the guilt.

Dad did just stop over and paid me so I'm all paid up, so that's good. Still unsure if she will be returning.

As far as his reasoning, it's because no one could get ahold of him. I called all day, grandma called all day, heck the HOSPITAL tried calling him, and he couldn't be reached, so he didn't even KNOW his child was in the ER until he got done with work at 3:45, which in my opinion is unacceptable. It made me fuming mad that it took SO long for someone to get there, and it made me even more mad that dad didn't come until after work because no one could get ahold of him. Grandpa works at the same place that DCD works and even grandpa couldn't get ahold of DCD, so I don't know. That's unacceptable. If you have children, you should be reachable at all times. Even if DCD couldn't come get her himself, someone should have at least been able to reach him on a phone, even just to give the hospital consent to treat her so we didn't have to sit there for FOUR HOURS!

Since I'm still very new to daycare, I know a lot of my policies need to be tweaked and reworked, but man, I wasn't expecting ONE kid to point out every hole in my handbook! But, now I know and now I can fix the holes.
Hey, think of it this way... That one kid and family taught you more than some providers have a chance to learn in years so, you are actually ahead lol
AuntTami 03:52 PM 10-17-2014
Hey, think of it this way... That one kid and family taught you more than some providers have a chance to learn in years so, you are actually ahead lol
Haha, touché!
NightOwl 04:03 PM 10-17-2014
This was NOT your fault! Don't beat yourself up over it! Dcd being unreachable is not acceptable. At all. EVER.

Turn the tables on him. You seem to be in a defensive state where you are wondering if HE will decide to bring dcg back, if state will contact you concerning insurance, you felt it was your fault, etc.

Go on the offensive instead. Tell dcd YOU won't accept dcg back without prepayment and several good numbers in order to contact him in an emergency. And you expect him to arrive for pick up within one hour after you've contacted him. You run this show and you make the rules. You are not his employee.
Josiegirl 04:13 PM 10-17-2014
I'm so glad you got paid!
AuntTami 04:15 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
This was NOT your fault! Don't beat yourself up over it! Dcd being unreachable is not acceptable. At all. EVER.

Turn the tables on him. You seem to be in a defensive state where you are wondering if HE will decide to bring dcg back, if state will contact you concerning insurance, you felt it was your fault, etc.

Go on the offensive instead. Tell dcd YOU won't accept dcg back without prepayment and several good numbers in order to contact him in an emergency. And you expect him to arrive for pick up within one hour after you've contacted him. You run this show and you make the rules. You are not his employee.
You're right... I need to think on this for a little bit, and let it sit in my mind because you're completely correct. It just needs to sink in..

But, in the mean time, what would YOU GUYS(meaning everyone that reads this) have done if no one came for her!?

Lets suppose this exact thing happened...What would you have done differently while at the hospital with this girl?

Now, lets suppose you DIDN'T take her in, and you were waiting for someone to come pick her up at your home.

What would YOU have done? You can't physically MAKE someone show up to pick DCG up, and aside from charging an astronomical fee, what would you have done with DCG? Call 911? Her emergency contacts were notified, and they obviously weren't too concerned about coming to get her either, because grandma waited until after work as well....Just curious!
Cradle2crayons 04:26 PM 10-17-2014
You're right... I need to think on this for a little bit, and let it sit in my mind because you're completely correct. It just needs to sink in..

But, in the mean time, what would YOU GUYS(meaning everyone that reads this) have done if no one came for her!?

Lets suppose this exact thing happened...What would you have done differently while at the hospital with this girl?

Now, lets suppose you DIDN'T take her in, and you were waiting for someone to come pick her up at your home.

What would YOU have done? You can't physically MAKE someone show up to pick DCG up, and aside from charging an astronomical fee, what would you have done with DCG? Call 911? Her emergency contacts were notified, and they obviously weren't too concerned about coming to get her either, because grandma waited until after work as well....Just curious!
My policies state that if the parents are called for pickup, they are given ONE HOUR (because all of my parents are at least 45 minutes from here). I talk about this at interview. I call them, tell them he child must be picked up by xxx time. I charge them a fee if they are late. Then if I don't hear back in 15 minutes, I go down the list. I explain they have to come RIGHT NOW.

If nobody shows up within 2 hours, I will call CPS and I explain at at interview.

In your case, I wouldn't have taken her in. However, what if she had become Ill and had a fever of 104.5 along with other dangerous symptoms. Or she needed to be seen ASAP.

I don't blame you for taking her in though. As a parent I would have been so grateful that you cared for her as you would have your own. You didn't do anything wrong. T what happened is that they assumed you were there taking care of her and there was no hurry for hem to show up.

I would have placed them on probation, given them a verbal and written form detailing our conference. And warned them sternly what will happen next time.

THEY were in the wrong. And YOU are the one suffering right now.
Josiegirl 04:36 PM 10-17-2014
It's hard to know exactly how we'd react if we're not the ones going through it. I'd like to think I would've done exactly as you did. Then depending on the dcf's history of actions, I'd decide if I'd want to keep them or give them notice. While I have nothing in my policies about picking up within a certain amount of time(yet another thing to add!) what they did and how they treated their dd/gdd was ridiculous. All I can say is Thank God you were there with her.

I've been lucky in that refusal to pick up right away has never been a problem for me. The worst case I did have was when my dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital(he was in his final days), I called all my dcps and told them to come pick up their child asap. I was still waiting on 1 when the next to last pick-up offered to stay and wait. I said YES(Regulations be damned at that point) and later I found out it took them 45 minutes to pick up their ds.
MyAngels 04:40 PM 10-17-2014
What would YOU have done?
I would not have taken her to the ER for a busted lip. As the ER doc pointed out they have time to stitch it up, so that's not an emergency.

Then I would have begun calling emergency contacts. If no one is reachable I will call my town's police department for assistance in reaching the parents. This is what my licensing body has suggested in this case. Apparently it's not all that unusual for child care providers to be unable to reach a parent (hard to believe, I know ) but the police seem to have better luck getting info if they call.

If no one showed up until Dad picked up at the end of the day, I would have sat him down right then and had a very serious discussion about how this was handled on his part.

Accidents happen to every provider at some point. While I understand why you might feel guilty, please don't beat yourself up over this.

Awesome that you got paid, though . It might be better for you if they don't come back
hope 04:42 PM 10-17-2014
If it wasn't life threatening I would not have taken her in. I would have called everyone on the contact list and left a message with each one that I planned on calling everyone or CPS. If no one called back within an hour I would have called CPS. In this case if I knew she needed stitches I would have waited less time. I don't care what this man's job is....nothing is more important than your child's health. You called to say you were taking his child to the hospital and he didn't show up immediately? ??? I really hope he is ashamed of himself.
AuntTami 05:24 PM 10-17-2014
While I completely agree with you, I can't help but sit here and think "he should be GLAD I didn't think of calling the police!" He's currently in a custody battle with DCG's mom, and me calling CPS or the police to track him down would look MUCH worse to a judge than an accident at daycare! I don't know that I could ever actually do that, although it sounds great in theory. I guess maybe I would if I hadn't been able to get ahold of ANYONE.

Cradle2Crayons-- Thank you. You made me tear up. I needed that.

I know this whole thing is very crazy, and I'm very worked up about it and I truly appreciate all the kind words from everyone. I'm an overly emotional person, and I struggle with anxiety problems, so things like this REALLY get me worked up, and I just can't let the go until I've answered every single question that pops into my head about a situation. I've sat up all night researching things before just to answer a question because I felt I *needed* to know! SO I tend to talk things to death. Thanks for listening to me and giving kind words. It means more to me than you guys know.
Josiegirl 05:44 PM 10-17-2014
I do that too, churn things over and over in my head, let the guilt worm it's way into my very core, second guessing every single thing I should've could've would've done. After awhile, I feel better, it all blows over and life goes on.

I just don't understand why was he so unreachable?? If they do stay I'd certainly get that changed, whether it's non-communication between him and bosses at work or whatever, that just cannot be allowed.
KSDC 11:16 AM 10-20-2014
I don't transport anywhere, including the hospital. My policies state this. For non-life threatening emergencies I call parents for pick up and they take the child to the hospital. For life threatening emergencies (which I have thankfully never had), I will call 911 for an ambulance.

As for not being able to contact anyone for immediate pickup? I am in the same opinion as PP. I go down my contact list. Until I find someone who can pick up. If it ever happened that I couldn't get anyone, then I would call the police/CPS. I am very blessed in that I have never had a family like this.
Reply Up